Underrated movies

closetohumping

17 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I will never understand how Big Fish did/does not get more hype.

I didn't know anything about it when I begrudgingly went to see it with my wife.  I walked out a damn-near changed man.  Maybe I was in some sort of bubble, but I don't recall much buzz about it after it came out.

My dad, a 6’4” Marine Colonel, cried at the end of Big Fish. I think he saw a lot of his old man in Albert Finney’s character.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Gonna watch used cars this weekend. My brother has been on me about this for years. Summer rental is not underrated it’s a CLASSIC so is great outdoors. Gung Ho is super underrated! Great movie. Same brother and I used to quote the dinner scene at dinners we didn’t like the food at “Len leaned over to me and said hey you gonna finish that? What am I gonna say no?” Then scrape all our food on each other’s plate which when we were younger got a us a slap or chased with a wooden spoon from Nonna. Any csb

Is a frogs ass water tight?

28 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My dad, a 6’4” Marine Colonel, cried at the end of Big Fish. I think he saw a lot of his old man in Albert Finney’s character.

I'm not Mr. Tough guy, but I find it extremely hard to show this emotion in public or around my family.  At the end of this movie, I spent 15 straight minutes counting pixels on the wax Coke cup I was drinking out of.  No way was I looking up to watch the end.  I then had to wait several months for it to come out on DVD to see what actually happened.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I'm not Mr. Tough guy, but I find it extremely hard to show this emotion in public or around my family.  At the end of this movie, I spent 15 straight minutes counting pixels on the wax Coke cup I was drinking out of.  No way was I looking up to watch the end.  I then had to wait several months for it to come out on DVD to see what actually happened.

Belongs in allergy thread, but end of Star is Born in the theater there was mass gasping and wailing. And people with their head in their hands. I miss real movies in movie theaters.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Big Fish was good but I thought it was a slightly inferior version of Secondhand Lions.

I don't know that Miller's Crossing is necessarily underrated but it is to me as one of my favorites of all time. It is kind of lost among the rest of the the Coen bros stuff.

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/9/2021 at 3:43 PM, Eskimohorn said:

A Knights Tale

I think this movie is certainly good. Hard to call it underrated as most people I know like it and Critics don't kill the movie.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:44 AM, Daichee Bell said:

Donnie Darko

The Host

Big Trouble in Little China

There is nothing underrated about these films, depending on what "The Host" you are talking about.

On 9/12/2021 at 9:03 AM, Bateshorn said:

I’ve posted over and over again:

Dredd with Karl Urban.  

In some ways, the only movie that did 3D right and literally no one saw it in the theater. 

Absolutely. This film is great. Hell, I'm not sure many people have seen it period.

My entry on this list:

Punchline (1988) - Another Tom Hanks pre-oscar dramatic role.

• Hook 'Em 1

Collateral.  Both dudes go against type-cast.  It was on last night and it reminded how entertaining it is all the way through.

Hostiles. Tough men in a tough world.

Agree on Death to Smoochy and Miller's Crossing.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Collateral.  Both dudes go against type-cast.  It was on last night and it reminded how entertaining it is all the way through.

Skitch, come on, man, Collateral?  AYFKM?  That’s a well reviewed, watched, movie that is aging well.

Now, if you want to discuss a Michael Mann movie that deserves more love, I’m here for a Miami Vice talk.

28 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Miami Vice is great.

I will say it’s hard to catch all the machinations of the plot in one viewing. It can come off an incoherent but all the pieces are there.

Also, if you consider Jamie Foxx basically walked off the set with a third of the movie left and they were forced to reshoot and work around that, the muddled ending is a bit more understandable.

From a style and cinematic perspective, I think the movie is amazing.

16 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

I don't know that Miller's Crossing is necessarily underrated but it is to me as one of my favorites of all time. It is kind of lost among the rest of the the Coen bros stuff.

Nope.  Miller's Crossing is uniformly loved, admired, etc.

It does not belong in this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Skitch, come on, man, Collateral?  AYFKM?  That’s a well reviewed, watched, movie that is aging well.

Now, if you want to discuss a Michael Mann movie that deserves more love, I’m here for a Miami Vice talk.

You bring up collateral in a regular conversation and most people don't even know what it's about.  Then you have to tell them Cruise/ Foxx/ hitman/ cab driver and they're like yeah, i remember it... I guess.

I don't think it got its due for what they made happen on screen.

Hell, maybe it's just the title that doesn't resonate...

The Shootist is a fantastic film with a great cast.  Duke Wayne, Lauren Bacall, Ronnie Howard, Jimmy Stewart, Richard Boone, John Carradine, Scatman Crothers, Harry Morgan, Bill McKinney, etc.

For me, it's up there with The Searchers and Red River, and I'm not sure I have enjoyed or have re-watched another John Wayne movie as much.  (And I love his movies -- inherited that from my dad).  Wayne could act.  The Shootist, The Searchers, and Red River proved it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Death to smooch?!?!  I about died during the rocket scene

16 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The Shootist is a fantastic film with a great cast.  Duke Wayne, Lauren Bacall, Ronnie Howard, Jimmy Stewart, Richard Boone, John Carradine, Scatman Crothers, Harry Morgan, Bill McKinney, etc.

For me, it's up there with The Searchers and Red River, and I'm not sure I have enjoyed or have re-watched another John Wayne movie as much.  (And I love his movies -- inherited that from my dad).  Wayne could act.  The Shootist, The Searchers, and Red River proved it.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Always been one of my favorites.

• Hook 'Em 1