Underrated movies

closetohumping

Oscar (1991).

I think it bombed because the typical Stallone movie-goer of the early 1990s was expecting an action shoot-em-up, not a screwball comedy.

And also, this is a terrible, terrible trailer:

...because, among other things, THIS ISN'T THE PLOT OF THE MOVIE AT ALL.

The actual plot is: Gangster Angelo "Snaps" Provolone promises his dying father that he will give up a life of crime, and instead "go straight." And then... well... misunderstandings occur.

It's not directed or written wonderfully, but the incredible cast carries the film.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Nothing in Common. Jackie Gleason and Tom Hanks, in one of Tom’s first somewhat dramatic performances, and Jackie’s last before he died. I watched it within the last year, and I thought it was still really good—Gleason and Hanks gave great performances—but it was incredibly dated with the mid-80’s fashion and music.

• Like 1

Only seen it once but I thought Death to Smoochy (ed norton) was hilarious.

Popular but popularly-panned movie is Watchmen and for my money it beats the pants out of all this Marvel whatever stuff people are hyped on.

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 2

Popular but popularly-panned movie is Watchmen and for my money it beats the pants out of all this Marvel whatever stuff people are hyped on.

The Watchman is a good call. Had no expectations going in, it blew me away. The comic fanboys didnt like that they don’t make a giant CGI squid to destroy New York or something.

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

5 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

The Watchman is a good call. Had no expectations going in, it blew me away. The comic fanboys didnt like that they don’t make a giant CGI squid to destroy New York or something.

Third on the Watchmen. I'm a comic fanboy (of that comic graphic novel anyway), and I thought both the graphic novel and the movie were awesome.

My pick is the first and second Resident Evil movies. 

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

Nothing in Common. Jackie Gleason and Tom Hanks, in one of Tom’s first somewhat dramatic performances, and Jackie’s last before he died. I watched it within the last year, and I thought it was still really good—Gleason and Hanks gave great performances—but it was incredibly dated with the mid-80’s fashion and music.

Along with smoking Sela Ward and a young Bess Armstrong. 

Edited by Underdog
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Scranton said:

Doc Hollywood 

Yes.  Lady had some nice tittays

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Great Outdoors

Oh yes, this was a great one.

Another Farrelly brother was the one where Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear were Siamese twins.

Gung Ho with Michael Keaton.  Great flick.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I didn't give Watchmen a chance when it first came out. After watching the HBO series I went back and watched the movie and fucking loved it.

14 hours ago, South Austin said:

Very good movie

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Good calls on Used Cars, Gung Ho and Great Outdoors.  I think another underrated Candy film is Summer Rental.  

Gonna watch used cars this weekend. My brother has been on me about this for years. Summer rental is not underrated it’s a CLASSIC so is great outdoors. Gung Ho is super underrated! Great movie. Same brother and I used to quote the dinner scene at dinners we didn’t like the food at “Len leaned over to me and said hey you gonna finish that? What am I gonna say no?” Then scrape all our food on each other’s plate which when we were younger got a us a slap or chased with a wooden spoon from Nonna. Any csb

• Hook 'Em 1