Underrated movies

closetohumping

Holden won the Oscar for Stalag 17. and Strauss and Wilder were nominated.  Not exactly underrated

Holden won the Oscar for Stalag 17. and Strauss and Wilder were nominated.  Not exactly underrated

Its underrated by younger generations who refuse to watch black and white movies. Also, I was responding to “any Billy Wilder” movie which can sometimes be lumped with other old movies, but stand the test of time better than their contemporaries.
  • Like 1

There’s a movie called Rat race with a John Cleese, mr bean, Cuba goofing, Seth green, etc that’s worth watching 

It’s Jerry Zucker’s sendup or homage to It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad World. It’s a guilty pleasure of mine. It’s in HBO’s rotation now. John Cleese and the degenerate gamblers betting on everything under the sun is the funniest bit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Its underrated by younger generations who refuse to watch black and white movies. Also, I was responding to “any Billy Wilder” movie which can sometimes be lumped with other old movies, but stand the test of time better than their contemporaries.

I introduced Sunset Blvd. to my teenage sons and they were captivated.  It holds up perfectly, 70 years later.  It can go toe-to-toe with the best modern movies, and not give an inch.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tantric superman said:

You  can't rate something that you won't watch.

I mean, fuck them if they won't watch a good movie.

Back in the day, I went with a couple of my older friends to watch North by Northwest and I know it was reconditioned or cleaned up or whatever but I said "the film quality still looked like shit."

30 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Jesus Christ with some of your "underrated" recommendations.

You might as well Nominate Godfathers 1 & 2, all 3 of Nolan's Batman films and the Lord of the Rings trilogy too.

Yeah but the 3rd movies in both the Godfather and Batman films are trash, so fuck you for nominating them as under rated.

Probably haven’t seen that movie since I was 10.

My father loved that movie. He had the soundtrack and everything. Funny to see little roles like Bill Paxton as the bartender and Slider you stink as the cop.
Whoever the male lead is couldn’t act his way out of a paper bag but Diane Lane was smoke.

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Yeah but the 3rd movies in both the Godfather and Batman films are trash, so fuck you for nominating them as under rated.

To be fair to Captain Ron, I don't think he was nominating those films. He was just trying to make a fruitless point (considering his audience). And fuck Michael J. Fox and anyone who likes that talentless, shaky, midget.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

To be fair to Captain Ron, I don't think he was nominating those films. He was just trying to make a fruitless point (considering his audience). And fuck Michael J. Fox and anyone who likes that talentless, shaky, midget.

Probably but still fuck him tho.

21 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

This. Wilder is possibly the most underrated director by the younger generation because his best directorial work they would relate to is b&w.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

My father loved that movie. He had the soundtrack and everything. Funny to see little roles like Bill Paxton as the bartender and Slider you stink as the cop.
Whoever the male lead is couldn’t act his way out of a paper bag but Diane Lane was smoke.

I had the soundtrack, and agree on the young Diane Lane.  Shit, the old Diane Lane is still smoke.

The male lead, Michael Pare, had previously been the lead in Eddie in the Cruisers.  I think he's done a lot of B movies since.

• Like 4

Since we've delved into the world of older movies...   I nominate The Guns of Navarone.    All star cast with Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn.   The pacing is a little slow by today's standards and it runs at something like 2 Hours and 35 minutes.  But the characters are developed on excellent arcs and the plot, while simple and perhaps cheesy by today's standards is solid.   The sublot with Maria and the Peck/Niven exchange on "getting the job done" toward the end is worth it in itself as they jaw at each other over what to do with her.  

• Like 1

Ballad of Little Jo - A virtually unknown western starring Bo Hopkins about an eastern society woman in the late 19th century who moves to the west, changes her identity and lives as a man...based on a true story.  The cinematography is beautifully stark, and there was just something about this film that drew me in.

This Is My Father - Starring James Caan about an American high school teacher who travels to Ireland seeking to learn the story of his parents relationship.  A moving story, told with generous bits of humor.

15 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

The Grey Fox. Richard Farnsworth in a rare leading role.

Not ‘exciting’ to watch, but great acting, character development and cinematography.

Great call.  Good movie.  I must have been 11 or 12 when I saw it and really liked it.  Now I need to watch it again.  Thanks!

So my criteria here are movies that either a lot of people haven’t seen or are movies that people don’t name when you ask them to name their favorite movies but then when you bring them up, they say “oh yeah, I like that movie too.”

Road to Perdition

Layer Cake

Hostiles

Again these may be well reviewed and people like them if they’ve seen them, but aren’t ever brought up in “favorites” lists that I see so I consider them underrated. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/17/2021 at 1:21 PM, South Austin said:

I had the soundtrack, and agree on the young Diane Lane.  Shit, the old Diane Lane is still smoke.

The male lead, Michael Pare, had previously been the lead in Eddie in the Cruisers.  I think he's done a lot of B movies since.

Eddie and the cruisers was a good film for the time. It just didn’t age well. And the title track was catchy.

• 2 months later...