“Not a rivalry”

Tex Pete

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

Arkansas was absolutely a rivalry as is A&M. Schools like TCU may beat us while we suck but become push overs when we are good. These three other schools require that you come ready to play even when the team is good because if not you will not get past them by just being better. That to me is what makes it a rivalry.

100%

From the Arkansas side, and being ofa "more mature age", I wish the young ones had not stormed the field.  Yes, rivals, but expect to win.  Better image.  I can understand a bit of it, though.

A lot of it is Texas hatred.  I came here and commented in the realignment thread that I was glad the series would be renewed.  I remember SWC days clearly.  Welcome in Texas, get bent.

Second, and probably most importantly, it says more about where we have been and our concerns with us than it "being Texas".  We have the self-inflicted wounds from the last few coaching hires that have devastated the fan base.  I posted before about how this is a dismantled a feeling as I could imagine, short of the SMU death penalty.  Beating a ranked team for this coach (Pittman is widely loved and respected just for the attitude and the quiet passion he shows to the Razorback) is huge.  It gives us the feeling that we are progressing and there is light ahead.

3rd, I a certainly did not want to be the first SEC team to lose to you on your way into the conference.  That would just be one more brick n the wall.  It would be must more fitting for you to get A and M as the kickoff game in your first year in and beat them...

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

That’s fine. Fans weren’t on the field. 

None of the players were alive when this was a big rivalry, but damn, man, those kids DID see the first sell out in their stadium in forever, and saw the fans five times as pumped as they've been for any other game. 

After a COVID year of playing in empty stadiums and over a dozen years without a true rival, those Arkansas players were jacked as all get out. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

The people acting like it’s no big deal for other teams to play Texas need to wake up about why teams like Arkansas, A&M, TCU, and others in our region really want to beat us.  It’s not even really about football.  Even if we suck at football for another 12 years and they beat us every year, they will still hate us and take our game personally because most of the enmity is based on real life things, and not on whether we beat them at college football.  

We'll beat them plenty in football. It's going to be OK.

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The people acting like it’s no big deal for other teams to play Texas need to wake up about why teams like Arkansas, A&M, TCU, and others in our region really want to beat us.  It’s not even really about football.  Even if we suck at football for another 12 years and they beat us every year, they will still hate us and take our game personally because most of the enmity is based on real life things, and not on whether we beat them at college football or switch conferences or whatever else.  It’s not about sports.

It's only about sports.

Once you're in the real world, it don't make a shit.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Arkansas was absolutely a rivalry as is A&M. Schools like TCU may beat us while we suck but become push overs when we are good. These three other schools require that you come ready to play even when the team is good because if not you will not get past them by just being better. That to me is what makes it a rivalry.

I hope our coach will suck it up and confess that he was very wrong with his ore-game assessment. If not, expect as much of the same as we will allow before firing him. 

11 hours ago, realgreggym said:

100% correct. Texas may not see this as a rivalry but the pigs do. And that's what counts.

Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination.  Texas fans, players, and administrators excel at both.

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn
Edit: What Pete fixed for me.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tommyd said:

Correct me I'm wrong. The last time that goal posts were torn down at Fayetteville was when #1 Texas was beaten. This means more than just a game for Hog fans. 

Honestly, I'm too young to see it as a rivalry, but you bet your ass after last night I know it. Holy shit the crowd was insane. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Cajun said:

Yep.

Spot on.

As usual Michael Knight swings and misses, but that’s natural.

lol how many old timers are on the team? Its been 30 fucking years since we played Arkansas regularly. If we had won this game no one would have been celebrating some huge win because we believed Arkansas sucks this year and don't give 2 shits about them. Fans only care when we lose.

6 hours ago, troph said:

This isn’t true for old timers. I grew up knowing three rivals, OU, A&M and Arkansas. Young fans say only one, it’s simply not true. 

We've seen rivals come and go, hell we're leaving a bunch of them soon. Texas and the Texas administration doesn't care about them which is the main reason those rivals have all left. All they care about is OU as evidenced by our joint move. Texas fans will never act like the Arkansas crowd yesterday. Is that right? Probably not but its who we are and why we've failed and why we're hated. For most college football is about rivalries but to Texas its always been about money.

Edited by Michael Knight

The people acting like it’s no big deal for other teams to play Texas need to wake up about why teams like Arkansas, A&M, TCU, and others in our region really want to beat us.  It’s not even really about football.  Even if we suck at football for another 12 years and they beat us every year, they will still hate us and take our game personally because most of the enmity is based on real life things, and not on whether we beat them at college football or switch conferences or whatever else.  It’s not about sports.
Narrator: it was all about the sports.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Something that occurred to me this morning that was kind of interesting, the last three Texas-Arkansas games feature a first year coach and that first year coach getting throttled. We embarrassed petrino in 2008, chuckles got rocked in 2014, and sark got smacked last night. 

just a bit of a random oddity in timing. 

Texas is the arguably the most hated program in the country. Everyone gets up for Texas games. We are a natural rival to every other FBS team. 

Why is the real question. Repeatedly thinking (and talking heads saying) “we’re back” and bragging about recruiting stars and money yet not winning shit might be it, but Notre Dame has a very similar situation. They might be hated more than us, maybe, but the Texas hate is based on much more recency. 

Gotta embrace the hate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, troph said:

This isn’t true for old timers. I grew up knowing three rivals, OU, A&M and Arkansas. Young fans say only one, it’s simply not true. 

Yep.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I hate aggy at 10, Arky at 9.5, and ou at 34.

I wish them all misery and despair because it's what they deserve.  Horrible groups of people, all of them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, slorch said:

I hate Baylor and Penn State, but those are different.

I respect Texas but want to beat them.

I despise aggy.

I actually feel sorry for Texas now.  When people feel sorry for you, that’s as bad as shit gets.  Rolling into Dallas feels like a no win situation.  Win and nobody cares bc UT blows.  Lose and…FML. 

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So it's how Texas alums feel about OU alums.

Probably.  But none of the ones that work for my ass.  Zero fucks over here.  It’s probably why I do ok on this site.  

But what you say is definitely true in many instances.  

edit: again, if you really think any of this translates to real life, you probably have some serious issues.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I actually feel sorry for Texas now.  When people feel sorry for you, that’s as bad as shit gets.  Rolling into Dallas feels like a no win situation.  Win and nobody cares bc UT blows.  Lose and…FML. 

This post makes me want to punch a homeless person so someone else could know 1/10th of my sorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Probably.  But none of the ones that work for my ass.  Zero fucks over here.  It’s probably why I do ok on this site.  

But what you say is definitely true in many instances.  

edit: again, if you really think any of this translates to real life, you probably have some serious issues.  

Of course it doesn't, it's just football. 

Along those lines, however, you should never feel sorry for Texas football because last time I checked, this is America and Texas football is winning at money, which is what it's really all about anyway.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Of course it doesn't, it's just football. 

Along those lines, however, you should never feel sorry for Texas football because last time I checked, this is America and Texas football is winning at money, which is what it's really all about anyway.

God bless.  Well said.  

edit: and it’s more sorrow for young family members who are hardcore Texas fans.  With kids it sucks to see.  Such is life…

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

lol how many old timers are on the team? Its been 30 fucking years since we played Arkansas regularly. If we had won this game no one would have been celebrating some huge win because we believed Arkansas sucks this year and don't give 2 shits about them. Fans only care when we lose.

Your post proves that you don't get it. Its irrelevant how many old timers are on the team. What is relevant is that the pigs hate us more than you can imagine. As one of the announcers said...they hate us more than they like themselves and unless you have been to Fayettenam wearing a uniform that has Texas on the front, there is no way that you can understand. It's not because you're not a smart guy. It's because it's something that you have never experienced. The bottom line is that we didn't win.

• Hook 'Em 1

In the SWC, with all the other schools and most of the refs from Texas, Arkansas always felt they never got a fair shake. The embodiment of everything evil in their conspiracy theory is the University of Texas.  They hated us then, they hate us now, and they will hate us until the end of time.  It is some serious shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

Your post proves that you don't get it. Its irrelevant how many old timers are on the team. What is relevant is that the pigs hate us more than you can imagine. As one of the announcers said...they hate us more than they like themselves and unless you have been to Fayettenam wearing a uniform that has Texas on the front, there is no way that you can understand. It's not because you're not a smart guy. It's because it's something that you have never experienced. The bottom line is that we didn't win.

the bottom line is not that we didn't win.

the bottom line is that we went in playing a milquetoast gameplan not to lose, made nearly zero adjustments, and played without motivation against a team that clearly was fired up in a stadium full of people that wanted to murder our players.

the bottom line is that we got our asses kicked. that was fucking humiliating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

“Their players are too young to know anything about Texas.” Stupid motherfuckers. How many times do we have to get kicked in the head? Arkansas fucking hates us. It’s ingrained (or inbred) in them. Get it through your thick heads.

Someone might want to give our coach the memo, too. Bullshit. 

Yeah, all players are too young to know unless informed. Pitt spent time with team explaining how important to Arkansas fans the game was. Even showed film of the 1969 game. 

Clearly that gave Arkansas an edge. 

I don't believe the performance of Texas was indicative of the quality of your team. Get the offensive line play up to just average and ya'll would be a totally different and much better team, IMO. You've got one of the absolute top RB in the country. 

I believe many of ya'll underestimate Arkansas based on our recent embarrassing seasons and underestimate the potential of this year's Longhorns. 

Just win next week, beat OU and the world will seem right again.

• Hook 'Em 6

37 minutes ago, SEC said:

I saw Colt McCoy whip their ass live in 2008.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

We beat them 52-10 at DKR in 2008.

Was there.

I know. I said “one of”, that home game when we were badass and they were dog shit being the other win. We got our ass kicked in the ‘99 Cotton Bowl, in 2003 by Matt Jones in DKR, and the borderline erotic Houston Bowl(s?), and now this (RIP @NowThis)

Totally stupid for Sark to dismiss Arkansas as a regular game and dumb to say something like Iowa State wants to beat us more than Iowa. ISU has a rival (Iowa) and so does Arkansas (Texas). Our dumbass coaches and players need to learn that. Second is that non-rivals hate us cuz they ain't us. It's why ISU plays their best against us but can look like trash against Louisiana. Texas is either a rival or hated. That why Texas gets played hard every game.

• Hook 'Em 3

I find it funny how people think because players and students are a certain age and coaches were not apart of it back then, this makes it now not a rivalry? Lmao. Like this shit can not be researched? This shit can't be passed down to them from former fans and coaches what this game means?

Sark is a fucking moron. My buddy lives in Arkansas and he said the week leading up to the game was very hyped for the people over there. It meant something. They were not a faceless opponent. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Holy shit the crowd was insane. 

We will never see a home crowd like that as long as we price out that type of fan. Set the prices to keep out the riffraff and blue collar fans and you’ve set yourself up to have a pretty nice Catalina wine mixer instead of a football experience teetering on violence.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Chad said:

I've become numb to losing the last decade. HOWEVER, I absolutely loathe losing to a bottom feeding team with a fan base full of cocksuckers like Arkansas. Know what's really sad? The aggy have beaten these bottom feeders 9 games running. Arkansas is the KU of the SEC, they went two years without a single conference victory losing to teams like San Jose St, Colorado St and North Texas. All gas and no brakes my ass, I want to slap the taste out of any cuck that was spouting that nonsense all off season from a fucking fraud of a coach hired with a 46-35 career head coaching record.

I just don’t understand why people reference games from 2018 like 3 years isn’t an eternity in college football. This is an entirely new and different roster and coaching staff. Arkansas obviously wasn’t going to stay Chad Morris bad forever.

1 hour ago, realgreggym said:

You don't get it, Texas does not and will never care about Arkansas. Its not a fucking rivalry anymore they are irrelevant and have been for 30 years, I don't give two shits about how their fans feel and no shit they care about beating us its all they fucking have. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have been prepared and it doesn't excuse the performance but the condescending bullshit attitude of old people "back in my day we treated them like a rival" is fucking irrelevant. "Oh if only we had treated them like a rival we would have won", it wouldn't have mattered how much we hated Arkansas yesterday they still would have kicked our ass. Texas needs to get better players and coach better and then it won't matter how much people hate us we'll beat them and then they will hate us more.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

We will never see a home crowd like that as long as we price out that type of fan. Set the prices to keep out the riffraff and blue collar fans and you’ve set yourself up to have a pretty nice Catalina wine mixer instead of a football experience teetering on violence.

We don't have that kind of fanbase, our loud fans come in the form or fratboy douche bags at best. How many blue collar redneck hillbillys do you think go to Texas

Edited by Michael Knight

20 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Well.  They’re kinda right.  

Rivalries usually aren’t such a massive blowout 

Did the classic Broyles-Royal duels have final scores of like 14-10?

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

You don't get it, Texas does not and will never care about Arkansas. Its not a fucking rivalry anymore they are irrelevant and have been for 30 years, I don't give two shits about how their fans feel and no shit they care about beating us its all they fucking have. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have been prepared and it doesn't excuse the performance but the condescending bullshit attitude of old people "back in my day we treated them like a rival" is fucking irrelevant. "Oh if only we had treated them like a rival we would have won", it wouldn't have mattered how much we hated Arkansas yesterday they still would have kicked our ass. Texas needs to get better players and coach better and then it won't matter how much people hate us we'll beat them and then they will hate us more.

Texas:Arkansas as Arkansas:Arkansas St

Know Rivalry

Not a big surprise, the entire old SWC has a one way rivalry with Texas 

https://knowrivalry.com/team/longhorns-texas-97/