2021 Houston Texans Ain't Shit Season Thread

Brothahorn

32 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

On to the draft with the #3 pick. Mills in the 3rd round last year has been a good pick. He looks competent and allows them to go best available in the draft. They can now get one of Neal, Hutchinson or Thibodeaux. 

And there’s nobody who should be the selection other than one of those three, though ideally you’d find some dying to move up 2-3 spots and get an additional 2nd rounder…

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You’d think J-Ville and Detroit won’t draft a QB. Hopefully a QB flies up the draft boards, and the Texans can get a good package to trade back. 

Detroit will have a hard time passing on hometown boy, Hutchinson, but I’ve seen several mocks having them taking Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss. Jared Goff is not very good. 

Would love to get Hutchison. He would kill it like JJ did for us. Can’t see the Lions passing on the hometown kid considering the QBs in this draft will not grade out to be top-5 worthy. Thibodeaux’s injury and motor issues worry me. He gives me a Clowney vibe. Pass. Evan Neal is who we will likely end up with which would make me very happy.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

They deserve every bit of it…the Texans suck dick. Should he be singing their praises after one of the worst seasons they’ve ever had?

Granted. They played like shit on the road all year long.

Regarding 97.5, it's a lot more than that. Just never ending negativity and personal attacks. Even after the Texans beat the Chargers and Titans. "Davis Mills still sucks. He's definitely not the guy. The Texans got lucky that the other team was dealing with Covid/injuries. Cal is a dumb ass. The Texans will always suck if the McNairs are the owners. Caserio is clueless." 

It's apparent that many of the ESPN Houston personalities have personal problems with the organization and bleeds into their commentary. 

I think Caserio had a relatively good 2021 draft. Mills appears to be a terrific third round pick. Nico Collins is also pretty good value as a third round pick. He also picked up some good players off of the NFL free agent trash heap. That he said, he definitely screwed up by not trading Watson in January 2021. 

The Texans rebuild is farther along than many of us expected. They have a good, possibly a franchise QB on a rookie deal for the next 4 years. They have the third pick in the 2022 draft, and all their draft picks. And they'll trade Watson for a package of picks at some point. 

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Regarding 97.5, it's a lot more than that. Just never ending negativity and personal attacks. Even after the Texans beat the Chargers and Titans. "Davis Mills still sucks. He's definitely not the guy. The Texans got lucky that the other team was dealing with Covid/injuries. Cal is a dumb ass. The Texans will always suck if the McNairs are the owners. Caserio is clueless." 

It's apparent that many of the ESPN Houston personalities have personal problems with the organization and bleeds into their commentary. 

I think Caserio had a relatively good 2021 draft. Mills appears to be a terrific third round pick. Nico Collins is also pretty good value as a third round pick. He also picked up some good players off of the NFL free agent trash heap. That he said, he definitely screwed up by not trading Watson in January 2021. 

The Texans rebuild is farther along than many of us expected. They have a good, possibly a franchise QB on a rookie deal for the next 4 years. They have the third pick in the 2022 draft, and all their draft picks. And they'll trade Watson for a package of picks at some point. 

I think John and Lance have demonstrated the appropriate balance of mockery and praise for Caserio and Mills. Everyone knew Culley was a fake hire from the start, and nobody outside of Cal and Easterby (and maybe Caserio) thinks Easterby should be there. 

I hope Mills turns into a star, but you should probably knock on a huge piece of wood before throwing words around like franchise. Also, I believe he is only on rookie contract for 3 more years because only the first rounders do 5 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hear what you're saying, but the front office is incompetent and deserving of way more ridicule than they've received so far, imo. Just because Mills played better than anyone thought, that doesn't let the Texans off the hook. Cal is completely clueless. These guys deserve years of rubbing their nose in shit. Why are you, as a fan, so upset with how the soft local media has been treating them?I think we all understand loyalty here, but If you're still giving money to the team, you're part of the problem. 

3 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

I hear what you're saying, but the front office is incompetent and deserving of way more ridicule than they've received so far, imo. Just because Mills played better than anyone thought, that doesn't let the Texans off the hook. Cal is completely clueless. These guys deserve years of rubbing their nose in shit. Why are you, as a fan, so upset with how the soft local media has been treating them?I think we all understand loyalty here, but If you're still giving money to the team, you're part of the problem. 

I'm not a season ticket holder. Nor do I ever plan to be one. 

I think Mills and Caserio deserve another year before the Houston media and the fanbase bury them. I think there a few glints of hope. 

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Probably the best result for the finale. Close loss, but Mills looks good. 

I think the Texans are more advanced in their rebuild than the Rockets. 

What? The Rockets have more pieces in place, simply because of the size / numbers needed.  The Texans are WAAAAAAY away from competing. The Texans defensive personnel is non-existent (Lovie Smith is a mastermind) and the only offensive players that would certainly start on other teams are.... Cooks and Tunsil (who isn't playing here again.)

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You’d think J-Ville and Detroit won’t draft a QB. Hopefully a QB flies up the draft boards, and the Texans can get a good package to trade back. 

There are no great QBs in this draft, but there are dumb teams.... so it's possible, but highly unlikely.

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm not a season ticket holder. Nor do I ever plan to be one. 

I think Mills and Caserio deserve another year before the Houston media and the fanbase bury them. I think there a few glints of hope. 

Caserio has already shown some bad signs...  Bad contracts and bad draft picks.  Davis Mills isn't a problem, but he is not going to carry the team further than a first round exit (if they ever get that far).

You sound like you are very much a fan...  Sometimes loving eyes can't see.  I listen to ESPN 97.5, too.  They don't bury the Texans any more than the Texans have shown they deserve to be buried.  The office is a joke.  The head coach is a "good guy" but not a head coach.  The GM signs guys and cuts them immediately.  Players want out so badly that they potentially sabotage their own career at a chance to leave... (it works, so they will keep doing it.)  Davis Mills draft is the only positive out of the last 12 months, and he is a "wait and see".  He put up decent numbers.

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm not a fan, just trying to give the organization a optimistic look. The pessimistic side has dominated press/fan discussions. 

As it fucking should. The owner is a gimbus who, inexplicably, elevated a smooth-talking pastor to lead his team's football operations. This Wormtongue-like figure then purged the roster and organization of all who were not sycophants. He then led the hiring of the one GM candidate who would not object to his presence, and then they hired a weak-ass coach who would take orders from the fucking GM during games over the headset. Cal McNair has turned the Texans into an absolute joke and he and his "brick by brick" organization deserve every bit of ridicule they receive.

Janice should force Cal to step back, and failing that, force him to hire a real football person to run the team, with the first bit of business sending Easterby packing. Until that time I relish every loss, the empty stadiums, and the late-game views of the owner's box with Clueless Cal and his bored-looking wife. Fuck off with trying to give these imbeciles the benefit of the doubt. It's an absolute train wreck that a few nice draft picks and a better than expected season from Davis Mills can't put back on the rails.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

Fucking Pancakes McClain wrote an embarrassing piece where he said it would be “unfair” if Culley was kicked to the curb and that he should stick around another year. Culley is the WORST NFL COACH I have ever seen in almost 40 years of being an avid NFL fan. Worse than or on the same level as Freddie Kitchens, Jim Tomsula, Rich Kotite, Hue Grant, Hugh Campbell and Ed Biles. There is no legit argument to keep him around if you are serious about building a winner. No other NFL beat writer in any other city in the country would write such bs. McClain does a huge disservice to Houstonians with his embarrassing shill jobs. He deserves part of the blame of why Houston has had the least successful and losingest NFL franchises. Right there or worse than Cleveland or Detroit. Both cities made it to conference championship games more recently than we did. Houston NFL teams have only made it to the champ. game TWO times over 50+ years of NFL football post merger. The last one was 42 FUCKING YEARS AGO. That fatass and Charmin soft Houston media (historically - it has gotten better and tougher with guys like Brian T Smith) has failed to put pressure on the jackasses who have owned the teams and have allowed them to fuck over this city for over 60 years. 

Edited by Macklemore

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm not a fan, just trying to give the organization a optimistic look. The pessimistic side has dominated press/fan discussions. 

This team has done everything seemingly possible to kill the fan base. Like pissing in your face hubris with no remorse or humility shown for subjecting us to the most hated sports figure in this city’s history other than Bud Adams. Keeping BOB and letting him and Rasputin destroy this team and kill my and the rest of this city’s fandom and following that up with a joke like Culley when there was hope and excitement we’d go on a fresh path and hire a coach with upside like Bieniemy or Saleh. The Texans deserve all the shit they get. They are an embarrassment to our city. When you have lost the Larry-N-Staffords in the world and haven’t the sense to realize how far off track you are as a franchise, they deserve to be mocked and I was happy as hell to see the stadium empty and their ratings in the tank. All I want to do is root for my hometown team on Sunday. A team I can be proud of. Not a high bar - yet they have driven a stake into our hearts by their ineptitude and by not caring about winning.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Adam Clanton and his attitude towards this team - revulsion, anger, mockery, etc is very Surly like. That’s why he is my favorite along with his Astros posts after we win. 

1 minute ago, Tylerocks said:

Vince Lombardi wouldn't have won 5 games with that roster.

That doesn’t matter. You can still assess the quality of coaching with even a bad roster. How hard the team plays, discipline, special teams, game management, the number of penalties, etc. Why on earth if you’re rebuilding would have an absolute clown that no one respects leading your coaching staff. I have seen the comparison to Bo Porter made. That’s a disservice to Porter as he was much better manager (average to below) than the dreadful Culley who has made the most boneheaded game management decisions I have ever seen. Even worse than the asshole before him. The guy sounds as dumb as a box of rocks when I hear him answer questions and he has zero ability analyze or diagnose the issues with this team. Fucking idiot said he is bringing Tim Kelly back without question. If the Texans were nationally relevant in any way (hahaha fat chance), the stupidity of this coach would be talked about on all of the NFL shows. He gets away with it since he coaches a laughingstock in a city with a battered fan base.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Hiring Flores means they keep Deshaun Watson?

Flores was the driving force behind Miami’s interest in Watson and visa versa. But too many bridges may have been burnt. Plus, the Texans’ roster is so bad that getting multiple high draft picks in a trade might be better for their rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Flores was the driving force behind Miami’s interest in Watson and visa versa. But too many bridges may have been burnt. Plus, the Texans’ roster is so bad that getting multiple high draft picks in a trade might be better for their rebuild. 

No amount of draft picks can replace a franchise QB, especially a 26 year old one. Watsons chief complaint was their hiring practices and maybe getting Flores fixes that. He needs to rebuild his image after the massages and Houston is probably the city that will be most willing to forgive him, unless he goes to Detroit and wins more than 6  games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

No amount of draft picks can replace a franchise QB, especially a 26 year old one. Watsons chief complaint was their hiring practices and maybe getting Flores fixes that. He needs to rebuild his image after the massages and Houston is probably the city that will be most willing to forgive him, unless he goes to Detroit and wins more than 6  games

He's got a no trade clause, so he isn't going to Detroit. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Who?

35 year old who has been a coach for 3 seasons in the NFL.

I hate the desire to become Patriots South as much as anyone, but I actually think he could be good.  Apparently viewed as a definite up-and-comer, and I think former Belichick players who move into coaching (i.e. Vrabel) aren't necessarily cut from the same cloth as the Belichick assistants who inevitably fail at their next gigs.

• Hook 'Em 1

While Flores seems to be an up-and-comer I just don't see how it works with him and current Texan ownership given his issues with Miami ownership. I thought Culley earned another year given what he had to work with and how hard the team was playing in the in. First time in long time I actually started watching more of their games because of it.