What, no Joe Manchin thread?

Bullneck

28 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

All I am going to say on this is that the last time the democrats decided to something extreme to fight through gridlock in the Senate, ie the nuclear option or Reid Rule, it ended up costing Obama a Supreme Court nomination.

I am not a fan of doing these extreme changes because it is extremely short sighted and US politics is a long game. The idea that this will be limited in scope or not abused by the other side as the political pendulum swings back the other way is asinine and it seems to be just history repeating itself.

This is so fucking stupid it hurts 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

except that if the pubs ever get a majority again they will nuke the filibuster and use it to their extreme advantage. it's not a sacred rule. one could even argue it's anti-democratic. dems need to grow several pair and just fucking pass the legislation they want to. let the voters decide if they're happy with the results

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

And the idea that Republicans won’t simply make the same changes anyway whenever they deem it necessary is asinine. I don’t know how you typed the above without making that connection.

Regardless, there doesn’t appear to be support, even within the Democratic caucus, to make changes.

Ahistorical assessments here. This situation literally just happened a few years ago. There was a President actually badgering Republicans to nuke the filibuster and they didn’t. 

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Ahistorical assessments here. This situation literally just happened a few years ago. There was a President actually badgering Republicans to nuke the filibuster and they didn’t. 

So do you think it’s appropriate for Republicans to simply not govern? Do you think that’s functional?

49 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Because the only single thing the republicans cared about or will ever care about in the future is reducing taxes for the rich and they didn’t and don’t need to nuke the filibuster to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

giphy.gif

Congressman Clyburn’s message to Joe Manchin:

“I am, as you know, a Black person, descended of people who were given the vote by the 15th Amendment to the United States Constitution. The 15th Amendment was not a bipartisan vote. It was a single-party vote that gave Black people the right to vote," Clyburn told Baier.

"Manchin and others need to stop saying that because that gives me great pain for somebody to imply that the 15th Amendment of the United States Constitution is not legitimate because it did not have bipartisan buy-in," he added.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

I don't know why you would bother with this, because you surely know that the topic was only broached because Donald Trump is a bloviating moron. They didn't have to get rid of it to pass a tax cut for the rich, and they have no other policy agenda to speak of. There was no reason to get rid of it and take the political hit. There was nothing significant they were trying to get through that was being held up by the filibuster. Were that not the case, there is no doubt Republicans would get rid of it. Republicans are guilty of a lot of thing, but being as impotent as the Democrats is not one of them.

• Hook 'Em 3

MLK channels Joe Manchin and krysten Cinema 59 years after his Letter from a Birmingham Jail:

First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

MLK channels Joe Manchin and krysten Cinema 59 years after his Letter from a Birmingham Jail:

First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection

I would argue he's channeling about 90% of the democratic party in 2022, yea votes notwithstanding.  They could push harder.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Satchel said:

What does pushing harder look like to you?

Call out those two fucksticks by name on a daily basis.  Explain to people that THEY are the reason nothing can get done, aside from the completely bullshit republican party, and start calling for their ouster.  I'm sure there are other ways too, but just off the top of my head, call a duck a duck.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Call out those two fucksticks by name on a daily basis.  Explain to people that THEY are the reason nothing can get done, aside from the completely bullshit republican party, and start calling for their ouster.  I'm sure there are other ways too, but just off the top of my head, call a duck a duck.

There’s a lot more at stake here than cussing them out. There should be a withering, sustained indirect pressure applied to both of them. Schumer is right to make them publicly defend/explain their intransigence. Meanwhile, they remain helpful in helping Biden get his judicial picks confirmed:

Dec 20 (Reuters) - President Joe Biden is wrapping up 2021 with more judges confirmed to the federal bench than any first-year president since Ronald Reagan, and experts say a growing list of judicial vacancies could allow him to appoint even more in 2022.

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

There’s a lot more at stake here than cussing them out. There should be a withering, sustained indirect pressure applied to both of them. Schumer is right to make them publicly defend/explain their intransigence. Meanwhile, they remain helpful in helping Biden get his judicial picks confirmed:

Dec 20 (Reuters) - President Joe Biden is wrapping up 2021 with more judges confirmed to the federal bench than any first-year president since Ronald Reagan, and experts say a growing list of judicial vacancies could allow him to appoint even more in 2022.

And that's good.  Why not both?

On 1/11/2022 at 1:56 PM, Immaculate Vibes said:

Because they didn’t have to.

That’s the quiet part that’s being done. This is good. Thank you.

Athletes and coaches have as much right as anyone in this country to express their points of view. They don’t suddenly stop being citizens when they walk onto the field.

That’s something South Carolina Rep. Ralph Norman doesn’t seem to understand.

Norman, who represents the state’s 5th Congressional District, decided to take time out of his busy schedule Tuesday to hop on Twitter and berate Alabama football Coach Nick Saban for signing a letter sent to West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin urging Manchin to support voting rights legislation now before the U.S. Senate.

“Nick Saban should focus on winning National Championships instead of destroying our elections,” Norman Tweeted.

Something I can agree with Saban on....

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Apparently the dipshits on orangebloods were none too happy about this either, according to my buddy who posts there.

That place is basically texags lite. Gave up on it years ago due to no moderation and at least back then posting history eventually disappeared which encouraged years of trolling.

Also ketch is a tool who is now just riding the wave. Good for him I guess. 

I will admit I am confused on this voting rights and Manchin issue.  Is he in fact against this bill or is he just saying he doesn't want to change the filibuster to get it passed but he will absolutely vote yes for it?  I would ask the same question about Sinema.  Since I haven't read the bill, what is in it that the Republicans are claiming to oppose exactly.    

Republicans oppose federalizing elections.  They oppose bringing back VRA's pre-clearance that SCOTUS struck down in 2013.  They oppose a universal election day national holiday and requiring at least two weeks of early voting.  Oppose universal no excuse mail in voting.  Oppose limits on purging voting rolls, limits on voter ID, and allowing felons to vote.

I am sure there are other things the GOP opposes in the bills.  I have not studied the entire 735 page bill.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I will admit I am confused on this voting rights and Manchin issue.  Is he in fact against this bill or is he just saying he doesn't want to change the filibuster to get it passed but he will absolutely vote yes for it?  I would ask the same question about Sinema.  Since I haven't read the bill, what is in it that the Republicans are claiming to oppose exactly.    

I believe he and Sinema support the bill but have said they will not change the rules to pass it.

On 1/10/2022 at 6:34 PM, Bama Chick said:

giphy.gif

He's a fucking liar playing to idiots. 

Klobuchar vivesected this lie in the Senate yesterday as did Rachel Maddow last night. My only quibble with their work is shying away from calling a lie a lie. It's not merely misreprentation of the facts, ignorance, or untrue statement; it's a goddamn lie!

I despise Manchin and Sinema profoundly. I despise their exploitation of their ability to blow up any Dem initiative that might actually be good for the country or for preserving basic democracy. These are cynical liars.

It's hateful that the Dems can't just berate them and cut them out like the cancerous pustules they are.

If you add their constituencies to the total number of GOP constituencies, how much smaller does the tyranny of the stupid, malign minority become?

Fuck this guy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My only quibble with their work is shying away from calling a lie a lie. It's not merely misreprentation of the facts, ignorance, or untrue statement; it's a goddamn lie!

Clyburn said he "learned long ago not to use the three letter word".  I don't understand it.  I just don't.  Why are they so scared of this?

43 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Clyburn said he "learned long ago not to use the three letter word".  I don't understand it.  I just don't.  Why are they so scared of this?

Back when people gave a shit about their reputation and integrity, attacking someone's honesty has a big deal.

Now that you can demonstrate dishonesty with video tape, there is no reason not to call a willing abandonment of the truth simply for political expediency a liar.

spacer.png

Call it or it won't stop, and we'll lose the meaning of the word.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The filibuster's days are numbered. It's not a matter of if, but when.

So there's a little silver lining.

Except it'll be scrapped by Republicans to further gut civil rights and protections as we fall further into authoritarianism. But at least we'll still have our trolls gleefully saying "you're welcome" as democracy fails

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The filibuster's days are numbered. It's not a matter of if, but when.

So there's a little silver lining.

It's going to be great (shitty) when Republicans take back the Senate and abolish the filibuster to pass a fetal personhood bill and there's absolutely no handwringing whatsoever from any of the usual suspects in the GOP, centrist Dems, the media, pundits, etc. about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

It's going to be great (shitty) when Republicans take back the Senate and abolish the filibuster to pass a fetal personhood bill and there's absolutely no handwringing whatsoever from any of the usual suspects in the GOP, centrist Dems, the media, pundits, etc. about it. 

Sounds like they understand power. I wish the Democrats did.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Sounds like they understand power. I wish the Democrats did.

The Democrats do, most of them anyway. 

You know who else understands power and how to wield it? The ultra wealthy and corporations. 

Why would you buy off an entire Democratic Party when you only need to buy off two of them?

The republicans will never eliminate the filibuster on legislative matters. They can pass tax cuts for the ultra rich anyway. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1