233 members have voted

1. 1. Have you contracted Covid-19?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you contracted COVID-19 REDUX

• Yes, more than once
    • Yes
    • No

Well, here we go again. Woke up yesterday with my throat on fire and thought I had strep. No strep but covid again. Tested negative at the doctor but they sent it to the lab and came back positive. Symptoms aren't near as bad as my first go around 2 months ago. Didn't take paxlovid last time because of the rebound stories and not sure wether to this time.

Got a piece of mail with some of the data from the TexasCares study yesterday. 7.5 percent of the adults in the study who had been vaccinated became infected. Two of the biggest groups to become infected were Hispanic and obese. 

Sorry, Vic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

That seems extraordinarily low. Like an order of magnitude off. 

I have a feeling the people partaking in a study probably believed COVID was real and took the appropriate precautions. 

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

I have a feeling the people partaking in a study probably believed COVID was real and took the appropriate precautions. 

Everyone I know in my circle that participated in Tx cares took it seriously, was vaccinated and 100% seroconverted during the course of the study. 

48 minutes ago, Deej said:

It says:

"Breakthrough COVID-19 infections after vaccinations occurred in 7.5% of participants."

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/227/10/1164/7024140?

Here is their data.  Their case definition is restrictive and requires self-reported positive PCR within a very specific time window. They are substantially underestimating the break through infection rates during omicron. I don't see a way to build this from their dashboard, but it would be interesting to look at the seroconversion rates among individuals negative for N-AB at the time of vaccination.   

17 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’ll say it again: don’t know a single person IRL that hasn’t had it.

My wife and kids haven’t had it that we know about.  It took about 3 days after my symptoms started for me to test positive with a home kit, none of them ever have but haven’t had any illness symptoms long enough to test for several days like I did. 

11 hours ago, Walser said:

I have not caught it. I was careful at first and got all the pricks. But I've also been all over the country and world and so far so good. Now that I'm being haughty I'll likely get it before Le Mans.

Thanks for your input, Coach Stoops.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Still haven’t got COVID. Actually haven’t been sick in quite a while. I should be studied.

11 hours ago, Walser said:

I have not caught it. I was careful at first and got all the pricks. 

Maybe because your mom got all the pricks, too.  So many antibodies.

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My wife and kids haven’t had it that we know about.  It took about 3 days after my symptoms started for me to test positive with a home kit, none of them ever have but haven’t had any illness symptoms long enough to test for several days like I did. 

We’ve all had it probably 3-ish times. The symptoms have been so different each time for each family member, and sometimes no symptoms but when someone pops positive we test everybody for several days. My oldest has been asymptomatic each time she’s had it.

My wife had it 3 weeks ago and no one else in the family got it despite not taking any precautions inside the house. Such a strange virus.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Still have never gotten it as far as I know, but it’s possible it snuck in there. I’ve done an at home test any time I’ve gotten more than a little sniffly but those are iffy. Just got my…. 4th shot? I guess i ahead the two shot series and then the booster way back when, was just in for a physical and went ahead and got the latest.

Every member of my household has had it...except my wife (both kids were college students abroad when they got it, with their lives, it was inevitable).  I didn't get it until this past February.  And in spite of being exposed numerous times that she knows of, including living in close quarters with me before we realized what I had, my wife's Texas CARES still shows no infection.  I know a fair number of people who haven't had it yet.  Not a lot, but more than a few.

I don’t think my family of four is susceptible to Covid. Like everyone, we’ve had a ton of exposure but the only positive result came when it tore through my nine year old’s elementary classroom table-by-table. The other three at his table got it, mine tested positive with the at-home but was negative the next morning with the PCR. Every other sore throat or cough has been negative.

On 6/2/2023 at 7:43 AM, Deej said:

Never tested positive for natural antibodies during the CARE study, so I'm guessing I haven't had it. 

Really the only way to assess is the n antibodies. Both the wife and I have seroconverted, but never had symptomatic disease. Two of the kids but not the other had symptomatic disease. 

11 minutes ago, HouTex said:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/72/wr/mm7222a3.htm?

Here is the CDC report. 

FIGURE 1. Prevalences of vaccine-induced, infection-induced, and hybrid* immunity against SARS-CoV-2 among blood donors aged ≥16 years — United States, April 2021–September 2022
The figure is a bar chart showing prevalences of vaccine-induced, infection-induced, and hybrid immunity against SARS-CoV-2 among U.S. blood donors aged ≥16 years during April 2021–September 2022.

* Immunity derived from a combination of vaccination and infection.

Ascertained by the presence of anti-spike antibodies (present in both COVID-19–vaccinated and SARS-CoV-2–infected persons) and anti-nucleocapsid antibodies (present only in previously infected persons) and self-reported history of vaccination.

12 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

What's the current consensus on booster shots? Is getting boosted still a thing or are we all just saying fuck it now? I've had two booster shots but haven't thought about it since then.

The recommendation back in April was a 2nd bivalent booster if you are over 65 or immunocompromised and it's been at least 4 months since your last one. 

Vaxed with two boosters (latest was last June) and I have been clear on all my Texas Cares screens. But I flew out to CA last weekend for a blowout birthday event, and already a couple of attendees have texted that they started to feel shitty and tested +. Sure enough, I self tested this morning and am positive as well. If I didnt  receive the heads up from my friends, I wouldnt have even tested, because I feel pretty normal. Ah well, it was a good run. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Felt tired and achy on Friday. Toward the end of the day started coughing up green stuff. Felt like dirt Saturday with a low temp that finally reached about 101 when I went to bed. Still feel tired and like shit. Not sure if it is a respiratory infection or Covid. I tried a test kit with a 2022 expiration - and the damn thing could not even produce the comparison line, let alone a “positive” line.   I assume a year-old kit is worthless then.

Edited by Gatorubet
Got current test from Son #1. Negative - some other bug it seems.

8 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I've been congested and crappy-feeling with a very light fever since Thursday (pretty mild).  Skipped the family lake trip for labor day.  Tested negative today.  Guess it's a cold. 

This variant has a bit of a delay for rapid tests popping positives so I’d Susie you have covid.

It’s everywhere here in the NE and Texas is usually a few weeks behind us.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know if it’s just me, but COVID has permanently messed up my sense of smell. I wasn’t able to smell for nearly 2 years and it was a huge mindfuck.

My sense of smell came back with a vengeance when a new wave of COVID hit, but everything smelled terrible like sewer gas. When that wave of COVID passed, my smell tampered down and wasn’t as bad, just off.

The terrible smell has returned again as of a few weeks ago. I feel like every time a new wave of COVID comes and goes, the smell ramps up and then goes back down. Is this all in my head or is my sense of smell a primitive way of alerting me that COVID is near? I went to both the doctor and dentist to make sure the things I was smelling weren’t related to issues inside my nose or mouth. It’s not. 

• Rage+1 1

I'll probably hit it again tomorrow with the second test.  I had it last summer, and it isn't nearly as bad from the tired-achey end of things as last year's COVID was.  We'll see.

A friend tested negative on last Friday and didn’t test positive until the next Thursday even though she had symptoms before she tested the first time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

A friend tested negative on last Friday and didn’t test positive until the next Thursday even though she had symptoms before she tested the first time.

That makes me wonder if she was testing correctly.  If you don’t really get back there where it’s uncomfortable, you won’t get that earlier detection. 

first I’ve heard of mrbig’s issues with smell being affected by outbreaks. Interesting. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I just had it for 10 days in mid August, severe cold and cough. Damn I was tired of coughing 

No cough for me.  Just moderate congestion/nasal drip.  Annoying more than anything.  Will break out the second test shortly.

• Hook 'Em 1