Scattered CFB Thoughts In Week 5 of 2021

closetojumping

This season is turning into one of my favorites for the comedy factor alone. Wake and Boston College are 4-0 while FSU is 0-4, I feel confident that’s a first. Clemson fell six spots after beating GT. The only team happy about having GT on the schedule is Northern Illinois who we lost to in the opener. Beat us or lose to us (hi UNC!) it’s all bad news.

Pitt put up 707 yards of offense last week. Vandy put up 77. I don’t even think they had to shower afterwards.

25 ranked teams lost in the first four weeks, which is the most ever.

Just so much hilarity this year.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

This year is as close to parity as college football is going to get.  That's most likely because of all the 5th year+ playing at Tier 2 schools.  Normally I say 'except for Bama' but UF scored a bunch of points on the Tide, both this year and in last year's SECCG.  

Clemson may be dismal but UGA beat them 10-3, with the 1 TD coming from a pick-6.  So unless the Dawgs are head and shoulders below Bama/UF I don't think the SEC is that far ahead. 

Notre Dame had to cobble together an offensive line by starting a true frosh at LT (injured) and accepting a transfer from Marshall.  We cannot block anyone and thus our tree trunk transfer QB had to learn the 3 step drop.  We're undefeated because our front 7 has, so far, simply brushed aside the opponents on their way into the backfield.  In short we haven't looked like this in 15 years and no one knows what will happen, not even the bookies. 

On ESPNU they were talking about the horrible line play all over.  They noted OU has 4 transfers on their line.  ND is a mess.  So are a lot of schools.

One blamed it on coaches trying to get extra receivers and DBs and shorting linemen.  Another guy thought it was the switch from power blocking to zone read.  And either way requires lines that play well together.  The best predictor for top teams is who is returning o linemen.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

This season is turning into one of my favorites for the comedy factor alone. Wake and Boston College are 4-0 while FSU is 0-4, I feel confident that’s a first. Clemson fell six spots after beating GT. The only team happy about having GT on the schedule is Northern Illinois who we lost to in the opener. Beat us or lose to us (hi UNC!) it’s all bad news.

Pitt put up 707 yards of offense last week. Vandy put up 77. I don’t even think they had to shower afterwards.

25 ranked teams lost in the first four weeks, which is the most ever.

Just so much hilarity this year.

All cogent points but personally I don't find the season all that amusing until OU loses a game or three. 

YMMV.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think Dan Mullen is a good coach. I don’t think he’s a great coach. I think he has a history of having a weaker back half of seasons than the front. That holds up irrespective of the school for whom he’s coaching, from my perspective. 

As to winning records at MSU, if Jackie Sherrill had the kind of scheduling silliness all SEC teams benefit from now, he’d have a winning record there. Maybe don’t hire laughingstocks like Sylvester Croom. 

As to the scheduling pleading and then attempting to throw shade regarding Rice, dude, your own fucking team almost lost to Rice 3 weeks ago. The gap between bad FBS teams and bad FCS teams is night and day. Maybe you don’t lose to Towson Shithole State if they’re on the schedule instead of North Texas? I don’t know. What I do know, is there is not a viable defense for scheduling FCS teams other than “hey, we’re gaming the system at the expense of fan enjoyment, fuck it”.  So take the equivocation on that subject elsewhere. 

Of course, I’d expect an Arkansas fan to attempt to defend terrible scheduling. Other than putting Texas on the schedule, I’m not sure you guys ever do much else besides add the Colorado States and SJSUs of the world to go along with the indefensible FCS trash. It’s fucking pathetic.

As to the UF stuff, the point was that the poster attempted to take the position that UF would just roll through 2 other P5 conferences, because … SEC. It’s typical, uninformed, nauseating SEC honking while hiding behind fucking Mercer and Tennessee Tech. 

I can’t wait to watch you motherfuckers go to 9 conference games, eliminate the FCS nonsense and then see records normalize. It’s coming, as an expanded CFB playoff and an expanded SEC will basically demand it. Then y’all will blame mean old Texas, I’m sure, for the dawn of less embarrassing games. 

We aren’t talking about 2018 Arkansas who could lose to Allen High. We are talking about 2018 Florida, who finished #7 in the country. Didn’t matter if they played an FCS team or Rice. They were getting a W. 

FWIW, Arkansas was supposed to play Michigan instead of CSU but Michigan pulled out at the last moment to rekindle the ND game. No P5 opponent(as required) could be scheduled, so CSU was allowed. 

I do expect the SEC to go to 9 games for entertainment value. I believe everyone enjoyed the 10 game schedule last season. 

And “you motherfuckers” is “we motherfuckers” now.  Glad to have y’all but no one is worried about y’all being mean. 

23 minutes ago, bullet said:

On ESPNU they were talking about the horrible line play all over.  They noted OU has 4 transfers on their line.  ND is a mess.  So are a lot of schools.

One blamed it on coaches trying to get extra receivers and DBs and shorting linemen.  Another guy thought it was the switch from power blocking to zone read.  And either way requires lines that play well together.  The best predictor for top teams is who is returning o linemen.

So Texas was ahead of the curve? What starts here changes the world.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

We aren’t talking about 2018 Arkansas who could lose to Allen High. We are talking about 2018 Florida, who finished #7 in the country. Didn’t matter if they played an FCS team or Rice. They were getting a W. 

FWIW, Arkansas was supposed to play Michigan instead of CSU but Michigan pulled out at the last moment to rekindle the ND game. No P5 opponent(as required) could be scheduled, so CSU was allowed. 

I do expect the SEC to go to 9 games for entertainment value. I believe everyone enjoyed the 10 game schedule last season. 

And “you motherfuckers” is “we motherfuckers” now.  Glad to have y’all but no one is worried about y’all being mean. 

There is not now, nor will there ever be, a “we” for Texas or its fans, and joining the SEC isn’t going to change that. 

There will never be camaraderie from our end just because we’re in the same conference. I hope Arkansas, Texas ATM and OU all find a way to go 0-12 every year while we laugh and point at each of you for being impotent rubes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There is not now, nor will there ever be, a “we” for Texas or its fans, and joining the SEC isn’t going to change that. 

There will never be camaraderie from our end just because we’re in the same conference. I hope Arkansas, Texas ATM and OU all find a way to go 0-12 every year while we laugh and point at each of you for being impotent rubes. 

I don't root for anyone else in there either just because SEC.  But that's not the context you were using.  In regards to future scheduling, its "we motherfuckers."  

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You’ve attempted this bizarre form of shittalking about my handle in the past. I see mouthbreathers do it from time to time and it’s always odd.

You do realize that this handle wasn’t assigned to me, right? You understand that I picked it myself and like it and everything it connotes? It doesn’t seem like it. Then again, you chose to name yourself after a cow rapist and you’re an SEC fan, so I guess it all makes sense. 

Wrong, I'm a Florida fan ;)

You still didn't answer the question.

17 hours ago, Underdog said:

Fully expecting a 56-3 beatdown at the hands of the Gators Saturday night. 

Never going to happen, although maybe it should.  Historically we always find a way to try to hand UK the games in Lexington, yet they consistently find spectacularly bad ways to hand them right back.  Plus, I don’t think UK is THAT bad this year.

Edited by SurlyGator

22 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

Never going to happen, although maybe it should.  Historically we always find a way to try to hand UK the games in Lexington, yet they consistently find spectacularly bad ways to hand them right back.  Plus, I don’t think UK is THAT bad this year.

Maybe IF the UF QB throws 8 Ints this game then UK pulls it off. 

aggy most certainly is..

For good reason, just not the reason they tell themselves.

17 hours ago, bullet said:

Then explain why Minnesota brought their top 8 OL back and have stunk up the New Brickhouse against bad MAC teams.

11 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

It's been brought up a few times in here, but Schiano wouldn't have been a fit at Tennessee. He's improving Rutgers because HS coaches in NJ and SE PA love him. He's immediately improved the defense and special teams units, but the offense has a long way to go. A bowl game this year would suffice.

Whatever Schiano would have done at Tennessee, I feel comfortable thinking that it would be a better performance than the dumpster fire we’ve witnessed from Pruitt and Heupel. 

I haven’t looked at the rest of the Rutgers schedule, but I’ve watched them a few times. I think they’re certainly good enough to play in a bowl, so hopefully they get there. Shit, when they take Ohio State down at home this weekend, they’ll be well on their way. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

It's been brought up a few times in here, but Schiano wouldn't have been a fit at Tennessee. He's improving Rutgers because HS coaches in NJ and SE PA love him. He's immediately improved the defense and special teams units, but the offense has a long way to go. A bowl game this year would suffice.

Maybe not a cultural fit, maybe unable to sustain success because of it, but right damn now Tennessee would be better and tougher on the field.  And we're not really addressing your points, at least I wasn't;  allowing him to be lynched by Clay Travis and his band of merry morons which had wider ramifications than football was, well... moronic.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Whatever Schiano would have done at Tennessee, I feel comfortable thinking that it would be a better performance than the dumpster fire we’ve witnessed from Pruitt and Heupel. 

I haven’t looked at the rest of the Rutgers schedule, but I’ve watched them a few times. I think they’re certainly good enough to play in a bowl, so hopefully they get there. Shit, when they take Ohio State down at home this weekend, they’ll be well on their way. 

Yes I agree that he'd be better than Pruitt and Heupel. The rest of the schedule presents some challenges, but I think 6-6 is very attainable, assuming most of the key contributors remain healthy. It's definitely a great time to be a Rutgers fan and a win against Ohio St on Saturday would accelerate the rebuild for sure.

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

Maybe not a cultural fit, maybe unable to sustain success because of it, but right damn now Tennessee would be better and tougher on the field.  And we're not really addressing your points, at least I wasn't;  allowing him to be lynched by Clay Travis and his band of merry morons which had wider ramifications than football was, well... moronic.

Yes Clay Travis and the hordes of unwashed East Tennessee denizens were an embarrassment to college football as a whole when they made up that vile shit about Schiano. I really don't ever want to see them recover from this stretch of misery they're experiencing to be quite honest.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It wasn't just Clay Travis that led the revolt against Schiano at Tennessee, it was several of the local radio personalities, one of whom led a rally outside the stadium.  I think there was just a groundswell of unreasoning "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" in that fanbase after 10 years of failure and coaching turnover, and they seized on that disputed story about Schiano that came from McQueary's deposition in the Sandusky cases as a focus for their generalized anger. 

That was an incredible day and then week to watch from afar.  That hapless AD really had no plan B after Schiano backed out and flew around the country trying to get Mike Gundy, Jeff Brohm, and then Dave Doeren, before going AWOL with a booster's plane and flying out to L.A. to meet with Mike Leach.  Bruce Feldman even tweeted out that they had reached terms with Leach before the University President ordered the AD to come back to Knoxville and said he didn't have the authority to offer Leach the job.  The AD was fired over the weekend, and Phil Fulmer saw his opening to get back in power by becoming the "interim" AD, which of course later turned into a permanent position.  Even after all that, Fulmer still could have pulled a rabbit out of the hat by hiring Mel Tucker, but he went with the Gump who didn't know what asparagus was until he reached his late 20's.

I think Heupel has a chance to succeed there, but he's starting from the bottom of a very deep hole.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

I think Heupel has a chance to succeed there, but he's starting from the bottom of a very deep hole.

I'm curious about your thinking regarding Heupel since they're pretty far from mine. My view is that the guy was regressing UCF towards their historical mean and would have been out of a job in 4 years. He was fired as an OC in college and then tumbled down the mediocrity hole from there, then caught a break when the AD he was working for got hired on the fly at Tennessee and needed a quick fix. But it's not like I've spent any legitimate time thinking about it beyond that, so I could easily be way off base, which happens often. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

It wasn't just Clay Travis that led the revolt against Schiano at Tennessee, it was several of the local radio personalities, one of whom led a rally outside the stadium.  I think there was just a groundswell of unreasoning "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" in that fanbase after 10 years of failure and coaching turnover, and they seized on that disputed story about Schiano that came from McQueary's deposition in the Sandusky cases as a focus for their generalized anger. 

That was an incredible day and then week to watch from afar.  That hapless AD really had no plan B after Schiano backed out and flew around the country trying to get Mike Gundy, Jeff Brohm, and then Dave Doeren, before going AWOL with a booster's plane and flying out to L.A. to meet with Mike Leach.  Bruce Feldman even tweeted out that they had reached terms with Leach before the University President ordered the AD to come back to Knoxville and said he didn't have the authority to offer Leach the job.  The AD was fired over the weekend, and Phil Fulmer saw his opening to get back in power by becoming the "interim" AD, which of course later turned into a permanent position.  Even after all that, Fulmer still could have pulled a rabbit out of the hat by hiring Mel Tucker, but he went with the Gump who didn't know what asparagus was until he reached his late 20's.

Again, that fanbase is absolute trash. It's going to be really fun to keep watching them get stomped into the dirt by Alabama, UF, Georgia, and the good teams from the west they happen to be paired with in any given year. I'm glad they didn't go after Mel Tucker, that's for sure. He's using the portal about as well as any team in the nation, and he's slowly but surely locking down more MI recruits. They have legitimate speed at receiver, a great RB, and a solid OL mostly thanks to their portal acquisitions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think ND vs Cincy is going to be fascinating. Notre Dame is a top 20-25 team who is inferior to Cincy on paper, but September byes sometimes harm more than they help just because there's a chance any sort of early momentum is zapped and you aren't typically banged up yet. If Kelly manages to pull a rabbit out of a hat and get the W, you can start the 12-0 predictions because most of the back half of their schedule is crumbling before our eyes at the moment. Most will root for Cincy, but something about Fickell rubs me the wrong way. It might have to do with how butthurt he's been over Freeman leaving for ND, or it could be that he's an Ohio man. I'll quietly root for ND and hope they stub their toe against Georgia Tech or Stanford (though I don't care much for Shaw).

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'm curious about your thinking regarding Heupel since they're pretty far from mine. My view is that the guy was regressing UCF towards their historical mean and would have been out of a job in 4 years. He was fired as an OC in college and then tumbled down the mediocrity hole from there, then caught a break when the AD he was working for got hired on the fly at Tennessee and needed a quick fix. But it's not like I've spent any legitimate time thinking about it beyond that, so I could easily be way off base, which happens often. 

It’s early yet, and he may flame out like the other coaches there since Fulmer, but I’ve watched a couple of their games and there are some promising signs. I think he made a good hire in the DC he got from Penn State, and Rodney Garner is the kind of position coach and recruiter he needs in the SEC. They are no better than middle of the road on defense but for a team that had to bring in Juwan Mitchell as their best LB, that’s not bad.

On offense, you can see he is a great playcaller, there are guys running wide open all over the field, but their transfer QB from Michigan just comically overthrows them every time. Here are a couple of examples:

There are plenty more where that came from. And if it’s not an overthrow, the WR drops it.

He doesn’t have his QB and some good WR’s to really run his offense the way he wants to, but you can see that it is going to be a problem for defenses that aren’t used to it. Arkansas is the only other SEC team running a Briles-based offense in the SEC (maybe Lebby at Ole Miss too) and I think it can work there. I’m not saying they’ll knock off UGA or UF anytime soon, but they could firmly establish themselves in the East behind those two programs. 

As for UCF, they weren’t going to stay undefeated every year, and he might have been able to pull it off his first year if MacKenzie Milton hadn’t gotten injured. He still went 10-3 the next year with a guy who was intended to be a backup, and then 2020 he lost a 3 games by one score to go 6-4 in the Covid year. 

I’m not crowning him as the next big thing, I think he just may be a good fit for them right now. He definitely needs to pick up the recruiting, but I think the NCAA penalty threat hanging over them is killing their efforts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/28/2021 at 10:28 AM, closetojumping said:

-Notre Dame is about to play their 2nd of 5 consecutive games in which the opponent has a bye before playing them. That's 5 games of 2 weeks to prepare for ND by the opponent. I don't think I've ever even heard of that. I hate Notre Dame, but damn, that shit is rough.

In 2010 Bama played six SEC opponents who had a bye week before playing them. I don't think they were consecutive though. The Conference has since changed the scheduling so that it doesn't happen. I think something like three is the most now.

On 9/29/2021 at 7:15 AM, closetojumping said:

Well-said, perfectly describes UT worldview

13 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Again, that fanbase is absolute trash. It's going to be really fun to keep watching them get stomped into the dirt by Alabama, UF, Georgia, and the good teams from the west they happen to be paired with in any given year. I'm glad they didn't go after Mel Tucker, that's for sure. He's using the portal about as well as any team in the nation, and he's slowly but surely locking down more MI recruits. They have legitimate speed at receiver, a great RB, and a solid OL mostly thanks to their portal acquisitions. 

Texas, the real UT, with the real Orange - Burnt, also gets to come to the conference and smash Tennishit every now and then. Gonna be rad.

FB_IMG_1632281230397.jpg

1 hour ago, bornbama1 said:

In 2010 Bama played six SEC opponents who had a bye week before playing them. I don't think they were consecutive though. The Conference has since changed the scheduling so that it doesn't happen. I think something like three is the most now.

I heard that stat as well. Without looking it up, I think that's the Auburn/Chizik/Newton year and Bama lost 3 or more, right? I'm assuming at least 2 of the losses, if that's what happened, was against opponents coming off of byes.

Not yet able to start a new thread, nor can I find one pertaining to 2021 bowl projections so I will leave this here.  

as of week 5 I’ve seen 4 different outlets predicting UT to the Sugar Bowl. 

CBS sports has Hog vs UT

Athelon sports has Ole Miss vs UT

College football news has UT vs gata

Sarurday down south has gata vs UT

Brett McMurphy has cheezit bowl Notre Dame vs UT

Meanwhile, preseason predictions had us vs Ole Miss in Texas bowl, UT vs Washington in the Alamo, Dome vs UT in cheezit, Miami vs UT cheezit, etc.

i know that nobody knows shit right now, but currently there’s a pretty consistent theme of us playing in the Sugar against who fucking knows. 

if things go well for both of us this season I don’t mind a rematch against hogs.  

22 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Not yet able to start a new thread, nor can I find one pertaining to 2021 bowl projections so I will leave this here.  

as of week 5 I’ve seen 4 different outlets predicting UT to the Sugar Bowl. 

CBS sports has Hog vs UT

Athelon sports has Ole Miss vs UT

College football news has UT vs gata

Sarurday down south has gata vs UT

Brett McMurphy has cheezit bowl Notre Dame vs UT

Meanwhile, preseason predictions had us vs Ole Miss in Texas bowl, UT vs Washington in the Alamo, Dome vs UT in cheezit, Miami vs UT cheezit, etc.

i know that nobody knows shit right now, but currently there’s a pretty consistent theme of us playing in the Sugar against who fucking knows. 

if things go well for both of us this season I don’t mind a rematch against hogs.  

This post is very aggy. 

• Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

He doesn’t have his QB and some good WR’s to really run his offense the way he wants to, but you can see that it is going to be a problem for defenses that aren’t used to it. Arkansas is the only other SEC team running a Briles-based offense in the SEC (maybe Lebby at Ole Miss too) and I think it can work there. I’m not saying they’ll knock off UGA or UF anytime soon, but they could firmly establish themselves in the East behind those two programs. 

Umm, when Texas and ousux go into the secsecsec, that probably pushes Bama and Auburn to the East. That's 2 more programs for Tenn to be behind

Some of this stuff might have been mentioned randomly in a thread here or there, but I haven't seen it. I'm just going to throw some CFB things out there with 1/3 of the season behind us that I find interesting in case anyone else has a POV on it or some other things to add. I know this is long for those with short attention spans, but I don't give a shit and they can click out and find a safe space.

-Notre Dame is about to play their 2nd of 5 consecutive games in which the opponent has a bye before playing them. That's 5 games of 2 weeks to prepare for ND by the opponent. I don't think I've ever even heard of that. I hate Notre Dame, but damn, that shit is rough.

-Notre Dame is undefeated, yet they're a home dog this weekend to a G5 team. Again, I don't know if I've ever heard of that. I know they've had a few seasons in the last 20 in which they flat out sucked, so maybe it's happened then, or whenever that high school coach was coaching them ahead of the Lou Holtz era. 

-The last time Iowa allowed more than 24 points in a game was November 23rd, 2018 in a win over Nebraska. Iowa has a pedestrian offense and Kirk Ferentz, so they're not a top 10 team to me and I think they will probably lose their next two to prove it, but the defense is elite. 

-BYU has a better Pac 12 conference record (3-0) this year than anyone in the conference. "That's a bullshit stat since the conference teams haven't played each other 3 times yet." Fair, but there are only 6 conference teams undefeated in conference so far, and 4 of those teams play each other this weekend. BYU still has Wazzou and USC left on their schedule. They have a pretty freaking great chance of going 5-0 in the Pac 12 on the season, which speaks to either their legitimacy as a top 15 program or the futility of the Pac 12, or maybe both.

-The Big 10 West is an absolute dumpster fire, with Iowa and Purdue the only 2 teams having no losses in conference yet. Purdue has actually played teams tough this year, losing a close game at Notre Dame in which ND pulled away late, and beating another underrated and decent team, Oregon State. They'll run over Minnesota this weekend at home, then play @Iowa after a bye, then Wiscy, @Nebraska, MSU, @Ohio State. If they go 4-2 and beat Iowa in that stretch, they've got a great shot at winning the west. Brohm has a chance to remind people that he exists.

-Tennessee could have had Greg Schiano coaching for them. They've beaten Bowling Green and Tennessee Tech. They still get to play South Carolina, South Alabama and Vanderbilt. If these idiots can sneak a win in against Missouri or Kentucky, they'll go bowling having beaten one P5 team with a winning record. I don't see how they're better than 6-6. Missouri is pretty fucking terrible as well, especially on defense, so even if Tenn wins that game, they might be 6-6 without beating a P5 team with a winning record. 

-As to Missouri, they've beaten Central Michigan 34-24 and SE Missouri State 59-28. They gave up 35 and 41 to UK and Boston College respectively. They get Arkansas and ATM from the west. The ATM game will feature one team with an above average offense against an above average defense and the other team with an abysmal offense going against an abysmal defense. Anyone thinking ATM will just roll through them in Columbia before the season has to be rethinking that position. 

-The SEC East overall is a fucking joke. Florida looked good against Alabama, but they're a Dan Mullen coached team that will find a way to finish unimpressively with a 9-4 record. Todd Grantham is still the DC there. Wow. Missouri and Tennessee would qualify as trash if that word weren't being defined currently by Vanderbilt and South Carolina. Kentucky is 4-0 by playing ULaMonroe, Missouri, Chattanooga, and South Carolina. They beat Chatt in a squeaker, 28-23. They still get to play NMSU, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Mississippi State. They will be the worst 8-4 or 9-3 team in the country. Georgia is the class of the division, obviously. Their October opponents are a combined 14-2 currently, so if they exit the month 8-0, they'll have earned the hype. They'll walk through November playing Missouri, Tenn, Charleston Southern, and Ga Tech. 

-I don't know who else watched the USC/Oregon State game, but it was a gratifying blowout that was uglier than the score reflected. Oregon State won in the Coliseum for the first time in 61 years. 

-Florida State is 0-4 and favored at home by 4.5 points against a 3-1 Syracuse team that just beat a pesky Liberty team. I assume Vegas knows something I don't. FSU has UMass on the schedule in a few weeks. There's a legitimate shot that they finish 1-11 if you take a look at the schedule. I mean, it's ugly.

-Oklahoma is giving up 10.5 points to KSU in Manhattan this weekend. In 3 home games so far against FBS opponents, OU hasn't beaten a team by more than 7 points. I don't think Vegas knows a thing here. I just think everyone is expecting OU to be better than they've looked so far. I don't expect to see that this week. They usually wait until the Texas game to get their shit together. 

-Oregon visits Palo Alto this weekend. Stanford blows, but Mario Cristobal is west coast Tom Herman. He'll fuck up a game this year somewhere, so I wouldn't be shocked if it's this one.

-Nebraska is 2-3 and still plays Northwestern this weekend and @Minnesota in a few weekends. They also get Michigan, Purdue, Ohio State and Iowa at home, and Wisconsin on the road. It's not difficult to see them finishing 4-8 in Frost's 4th year on campus.

-Finally, ULaLa plays an undefeated South Alabama team this weekend. As far as things go for Texas' bowl outlook and national POV at the end of this season, provided Texas is sitting on something like 9-3 or better, it would be great if ULaLa was 11-1. This is actually a key game for them getting there. 

Sorry for the tl;dr aspects of this, but figured some folks might give a shit in discussing it. 

-Oregon visits Palo Alto this weekend. Stanford blows, but Mario Cristobal is west coast Tom Herman. He'll fuck up a game this year somewhere, so I wouldn't be shocked if it's this one.

Good call 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/28/2021 at 1:56 PM, sidis said:

florida is tough to read right now imo.  they haven't actually looked particularly sharp against three really awful teams...florida atlantic (2-2 and air force beat them worse), south florida (1-3), and tennessee (2-2).  their best showing was the moral victory against alabama.

the thing i like about them is when their dbs are paying attention, they are really good.

not as tough to read anymore.  kentucky is not bad but i thought florida was a bit better than this.  this was unimpressive.

Some of this stuff might have been mentioned randomly in a thread here or there, but I haven't seen it. I'm just going to throw some CFB things out there with 1/3 of the season behind us that I find interesting in case anyone else has a POV on it or some other things to add. I know this is long for those with short attention spans, but I don't give a shit and they can click out and find a safe space.

-Notre Dame is undefeated, yet they're a home dog this weekend to a G5 team. Again, I don't know if I've ever heard of that. I know they've had a few seasons in the last 20 in which they flat out sucked, so maybe it's happened then, or whenever that high school coach was coaching them ahead of the Lou Holtz era. 

-The last time Iowa allowed more than 24 points in a game was November 23rd, 2018 in a win over Nebraska. Iowa has a pedestrian offense and Kirk Ferentz, so they're not a top 10 team to me and I think they will probably lose their next two to prove it, but the defense is elite. 

-BYU has a better Pac 12 conference record (3-0) this year than anyone in the conference. "That's a bullshit stat since the conference teams haven't played each other 3 times yet." Fair, but there are only 6 conference teams undefeated in conference so far, and 4 of those teams play each other this weekend. BYU still has Wazzou and USC left on their schedule. They have a pretty freaking great chance of going 5-0 in the Pac 12 on the season, which speaks to either their legitimacy as a top 15 program or the futility of the Pac 12, or maybe both.

-The Big 10 West is an absolute dumpster fire, with Iowa and Purdue the only 2 teams having no losses in conference yet. Purdue has actually played teams tough this year, losing a close game at Notre Dame in which ND pulled away late, and beating another underrated and decent team, Oregon State. They'll run over Minnesota this weekend at home, then play @Iowa after a bye, then Wiscy, @Nebraska, MSU, @Ohio State. If they go 4-2 and beat Iowa in that stretch, they've got a great shot at winning the west. Brohm has a chance to remind people that he exists.

-Tennessee could have had Greg Schiano coaching for them. They've beaten Bowling Green and Tennessee Tech. They still get to play South Carolina, South Alabama and Vanderbilt. If these idiots can sneak a win in against Missouri or Kentucky, they'll go bowling having beaten one P5 team with a winning record. I don't see how they're better than 6-6. Missouri is pretty fucking terrible as well, especially on defense, so even if Tenn wins that game, they might be 6-6 without beating a P5 team with a winning record. 

-As to Missouri, they've beaten Central Michigan 34-24 and SE Missouri State 59-28. They gave up 35 and 41 to UK and Boston College respectively. They get Arkansas and ATM from the west. The ATM game will feature one team with an above average offense against an above average defense and the other team with an abysmal offense going against an abysmal defense. Anyone thinking ATM will just roll through them in Columbia before the season has to be rethinking that position. 

-The SEC East overall is a fucking joke. Florida looked good against Alabama, but they're a Dan Mullen coached team that will find a way to finish unimpressively with a 9-4 record. Todd Grantham is still the DC there. Wow. Missouri and Tennessee would qualify as trash if that word weren't being defined currently by Vanderbilt and South Carolina. Kentucky is 4-0 by playing ULaMonroe, Missouri, Chattanooga, and South Carolina. They beat Chatt in a squeaker, 28-23. They still get to play NMSU, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Mississippi State. They will be the worst 8-4 or 9-3 team in the country. Georgia is the class of the division, obviously. Their October opponents are a combined 14-2 currently, so if they exit the month 8-0, they'll have earned the hype. They'll walk through November playing Missouri, Tenn, Charleston Southern, and Ga Tech. 

-I don't know who else watched the USC/Oregon State game, but it was a gratifying blowout that was uglier than the score reflected. Oregon State won in the Coliseum for the first time in 61 years. 

-Florida State is 0-4 and favored at home by 4.5 points against a 3-1 Syracuse team that just beat a pesky Liberty team. I assume Vegas knows something I don't. FSU has UMass on the schedule in a few weeks. There's a legitimate shot that they finish 1-11 if you take a look at the schedule. I mean, it's ugly.

-Oklahoma is giving up 10.5 points to KSU in Manhattan this weekend. In 3 home games so far against FBS opponents, OU hasn't beaten a team by more than 7 points. I don't think Vegas knows a thing here. I just think everyone is expecting OU to be better than they've looked so far. I don't expect to see that this week. They usually wait until the Texas game to get their shit together. 

-Oregon visits Palo Alto this weekend. Stanford blows, but Mario Cristobal is west coast Tom Herman. He'll fuck up a game this year somewhere, so I wouldn't be shocked if it's this one.

-Nebraska is 2-3 and still plays Northwestern this weekend and @Minnesota in a few weekends. They also get Michigan, Purdue, Ohio State and Iowa at home, and Wisconsin on the road. It's not difficult to see them finishing 4-8 in Frost's 4th year on campus.

-Finally, ULaLa plays an undefeated South Alabama team this weekend. As far as things go for Texas' bowl outlook and national POV at the end of this season, provided Texas is sitting on something like 9-3 or better, it would be great if ULaLa was 11-1. This is actually a key game for them getting there. 

Sorry for the tl;dr aspects of this, but figured some folks might give a shit in discussing it. 

So yeah, just recapping on this after things happened, it was an awesome weekend of CFB. 

-Reality finally caught up with Notre Dame. The journey continues for them, however, going to Va Tech next week and then hosting USC and UNC 3 and 4 weeks from now. All of those teams are off before meeting ND. 

-I still don’t expect Iowa to own a top 5 ranking at the end of this season, but they certainly put Maryland in its place on Friday with a grim beat down. 

-BYU kept rolling against a decent Utah State team. They get Boise State this week at home and then go to Baylor. Hell, they win those two and they’ve got a great shot to go undefeated. 

-The Fighting Brohms of Purdue shit the bed against fucking Minnesota and will remain mired in CFB irrelevance for the foreseeable future. The Big Ten West is indeed hot garbage and it looks like Iowa can sleep walk to the conference title game. 

-Even if Iowa loses to Penn State this coming weekend, they’ll only be, at worst, tied for the division lead and they get to play the other 6 to close out the year. Wisconsin is slow and fat with a terrible QB situation. Northwestern - wow. Nebraska is big and slow. I don’t know if Minnesota and Purdue even qualify as big, just slow. Illinois and fat fucking retard almost lost to Charlotte this weekend. Iowa is 11-1 at worst walking into the conference title game. Bleh. 

-Nebraska gave Northwestern a spanking at 56-7 and it tied the worst lost by margin in the Fitzgerald era. NW is … not good this year. 

-In the battle of SEC East meh-ness, Tennessee rolled a worthless Missouri team. Missouri’s defense continues to look like shit and will probably allow more points to ATM this year than anyone besides Prairie View ATM. 

-Tough weekend of blah in the SEC East overall, as Georgia proves they’re the obvious class in the league. Meanwhile, even with the Dan Mullen dicksucking from @Zeus and dandy @Don Johnson , Florida showed us they are exactly who we thought they are. While I’m sure that, yeah, they’re so awesome that they’d roll through every other conference as a champion, they’re headed for the 8-5/9-4 season the rest of us know to expect. 

-FSU won but didn’t cover against a mediocre Syracuse team. At least now we know they’ll win at least 2 games this season since UMass is the worst team in the FBS. 

-OU won but didn’t cover, which seems to have surprised the talking heads who touted the line going into the game but not most of us following the conference.  

-Oregon proved themselves to be laughably predictable and it was glorious. 

-ULaLa indeed eeked out a tight one, 20-18, against a decent South Alabama team. 

Fun weekend for us, at least. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Definitely a great weekend. The two teams I am the most curious about are Michigan and Iowa. 

OU keeps playing with fire. Time to burn it down.

Maybe not a popular opinion, but would still like an expanded playoff where each conference winner gets a spot. 

Coastal Carolina is intriguing.

Sark is slowly earning my trust—trust must be earned. 

Happy for Cincy. Domers had that one coming. Hopefully, we can do the same for OU. 

• Hook 'Em 1