OU sucks game week.

Wulaw Horn

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

don’t know about that- maybe?

that weekend was about as bad as it gets brother. Just a beat down all the way around. After I wrote it up o got it emailed to me 3 times in the next year by people who didn’t know it was me which was kind of fun. 
It wasn’t the 1999 texas Nebraska and  texas Arizona hoops game bender but I doubt many people have had many OU weekend worse than that. 
fun fact- that was my last OU weekend as a single guy. 
it got redeemed later in 2009 when it was my first overnight date (third date overall) with my now wife. She has coined the phrase, after that trip, Dallas drunk, to describe any level of intoxication that cranks it up to an 11 on a 1-10 scale. She married me anyway 6 short weeks later so it worked out. For me at least. 

I read this as you thanking OU for your marriage.

Edited by quigley

9 minutes ago, quigley said:

I read this as you thanking OU for your marriage.

The weekend he was talking about was 00 which was horrible. 
the weekend I was talking about was 09, which was glorious. 
I had a failed engagement and starter marriages that wasted a decade of my life between the 00 debacle and 09 wonderful ness. 
My new marriage (Which is wonderful) coincided with the worst decade of UT sports ever. I presume it’s because God doesn’t want me too happy and satisfied in all areas of my life at once. 
But he is loving and merciful which is why he’s given the poor rubes from Oklahoma a good football team, to balance out the rest of their lives. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Too often I approach this game feeling as if everything has to be perfect for us to win. My hopes this year lie in having the best player on the field, and that’s it.

We won’t get pressure on Rattler, So even though we have seen better quarterbacks from the Sooners, he’s going to have all day. Oklahoma doesn’t have great backs, but Brooks is really good despite being all they’ve got.

We have to run the ball and keep them off the field. That has to be the game plan.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, Ghost of Shag said:

Too often I approach this game feeling as if everything has to be perfect for us to win. My hopes this year lie in having the best player on the field, and that’s it.

We won’t get pressure on Rattler, So even though we have seen better quarterback’s from the Sooners, he’s going to have all day.

We have to run the ball and keep them off the field. That has to be the game plan.

I think this is the answer for Texas. Kansas state was doing a great job of keeping us off the field in the first half and it was working. West Virginia did the exact same thing and it worked as well. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

We won’t get pressure on Rattler, So even though we have seen better quarterbacks from the Sooners, he’s going to have all day. Oklahoma doesn’t have great backs, but Brooks is really good despite being all they’ve got.

Este. I hope Sarkisian pounds the rock until OU sells out to stop the run and then goes for the pass. Mix-in more misdirection on runs, jet sweeps, options, and Roschon & Keilan especially in short yardage situations.

This is not the game to go for deep throws early because they haven't been working (save that stuff for the likes of the Kansas schools). More RPO calls like the one that led to Whittington's TD reception against TCU. 

I don't think that OU will turn the ball over as much as TCU did. That is something which definitely hurt TCU's defense. But will OU's defense be as good as TCU's defense? Hopefully not.

19 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

I think this is the answer for Texas. Kansas state was doing a great job of keeping us off the field in the first half and it was working. West Virginia did the exact same thing and it worked as well. 

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

If OU can't stop the run, you're right, UT will score a lot and it may be game over.
But running the ball efficiently vs. OU hasn't worked so far, the stats and eyeballs agree.

OU has been vulnerable to short passing success. T
eams have a 67% completion percentage and passing rating of 145 vs OU this year.

Passing game efficiency is the reason OU's giving up    L   O   N   G      D R I V E S:

vs Tulane - 10 and 11 plays
vs Neb - 9, 12, 14
vs WV - 11, 17
vs KST - 10, 11, 12, 19

Edited by quigley

Haven't watched any ou games this year save for a few minutes of Nebraska.

Much like tcu, they haven't seemed particularly impressive this year, but I expect them to play out of their minds against us. They should, and we should, too.

Ultimately I think it comes down to our ability to scheme receivers open (and have them catch the ball, of course) and our ability to get any pressure on rattler without selling out.

Particularly after our performance against tcu, Grinch will sell the fuck out to stop the run. Everyone knows this. Question is if we can make them pay for that or not.

On defense, I know ou's oline has struggled, but our dline is unlikely to get pressure if we're not blitzing. Rattler is a huge step down for them, but they will carve us up if we let him sit back there for a while like we did against tcu. Their athletes are just too good. Can we find a balance between no pressure and selling out to get consistent pressure?

If we can get pressure without leaving huge gaps in pass coverage and make them pay for stacking the box, I think we can win. If not...

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Este. I hope Sarkisian pounds the rock until OU sells out to stop the run and then goes for the pass. Mix-in more misdirection on runs, jet sweeps, options, and Roschon & Keilan especially in short yardage situations.

This is not the game to go for deep throws early because they haven't been working (save that stuff for the likes of the Kansas schools). More RPO calls like the one that led to Whittington's TD reception against TCU. 

I don't think that OU will turn the ball over as much as TCU did. That is something which definitely hurt TCU's defense. But will OU's defense be as good as TCU's defense? Hopefully not.

I think OU's defense should be better no?  TCU's clear weakness was run defense which favored us.  

This. Any response that includes the suggestion that the defense can be counted on to do anything useful - stop the run, generate a pass rush, whatever - just means stop reading because it’s a stupid fantasyland post. That’s not going to happen. Keep them off the field.

Grinch is probably going to try to replicate the Arkansas game plan of aggressively run blitzing. Couple that with Grinch’s trademark stunts that we all know the Texas OL can’t handle, and it’s going to spell doom for over reliance on the run game and obvious passing situations. Sark is going to have to do something he didn’t do against Arkansas - make the defense pay for selling out to stop the run by attacking vacated space. And Texas is going to probably have to hit on a couple of deep balls - something it hasn’t consistently been able to do.

Make OU pay for its aggression a couple times early and it opens up the opportunity for Bijan to take over. Fail at that, it’s Arkansas part 2: meth fueled boogaloo.
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, quigley said:

Passing game efficiency is the reason OU's giving up    L   O   N   G      D R I V E S:

vs Neb - 9, 12, 14
vs WV - 11, 17
vs KST - 10, 11, 12, 19

To buttress this point, here are the run/pass splits on the long drives OU's given up this year.

Total plays (run plays), % runs
vs Tulane - 10 (4) and 11 (3),  33%
vs Neb - 9 (5), 12 (7), 14 (7), 54%
vs WV - 11 (5), 17 (7),  43%
vs KST - 10 (3), 11 (6), 12 (4), 19 (7),  38%

On ball control drives vs OU's defense, teams pass more than they run. Nebraska was ~ 50% on their long drives.

So far this year, OU loves it when teams try to run at them. UT's got the best back OU's going to see pre-bowl game. We'll learn if the Horn OL can block for him.

2 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

I think OU's defense should be better no?  TCU's clear weakness was run defense which favored us.  

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

This. Any response that includes the suggestion that the defense can be counted on to do anything useful - stop the run, generate a pass rush, whatever - just means stop reading because it’s a stupid fantasyland post. That’s not going to happen. Keep them off the field.

Grinch is probably going to try to replicate the Arkansas game plan of aggressively run blitzing. Couple that with Grinch’s trademark stunts that we all know the Texas OL can’t handle, and it’s going to spell doom for over reliance on the run game and obvious passing situations. Sark is going to have to do something he didn’t do against Arkansas - make the defense pay for selling out to stop the run by attacking vacated space. And Texas is going to probably have to hit on a couple of deep balls - something it hasn’t consistently been able to do.

Make OU pay for its aggression a couple times early and it opens up the opportunity for Bijan to take over. Fail at that, it’s Arkansas part 2: meth fueled boogaloo.

TCU's run defense is terrible. They give up among the worst in yrd/rush (120th) and rushing yds/game (122nd).

UT running the ball vs OU is strength vs strength. Teams have found it easier to throw against the Sooners. Stats below.

UT averages 5.9 yrds/rush (7th nationally).
The Horns have played the follow defenses.
Rank, yds/rush
ULL       73, 4.1
Ark       42, 3.6 -- 3.4 yds/rush (Bijan 3.6)
Rice      121, 5.9
TTech     66, 3.9
TCU       120, 5.9

OU gives up 2.9 yds/rush (18th nationally)
OU's played the following rushing offenses.
Tulane     91, 3.5
Neb     30, 5.0 -- held to 2.5 yds/rush (running backs averaged 2.5 also)
WV     90, 3.5
KST     36, 4.8 -- 3.7 yrds/rush (1 sack only)

26 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sort of right, but not quite. OU turns the ball over and is very careless with it. It’s conceivable that our defense could force two or three turnovers. If we do that the game gets really easy to win imo. 

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Bijan is gonna go ape shit on Saturday. Let’s fucking break rattler and set the tone for the new decade. I want ou players scared shitless of entering the cotton bowl thanks to the ptsd of getting fucking manhandled year after year

If we can get them this year it turns the tide big time I think.  The ultimate would be them not making the title game bc they drop another one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I know it's a streaky series, but we I don't see any "Turns the Tide" shit going down any time soon.  

We haven't won 3 games in a row in this series since 1997-99.  (I'm going under the assumption that two games is a trend, but a 'tide' requires three games).  Meanwhile, Oklahoma has won 3 games in a row 3 different times since then.  We are 10-16 against Oklahoma since I first enrolled at UT.  Not great, Bob.  

I still can't find when they moved the game forever into the Cotton Bowl from "Fair Park Stadium."  But it happens sometime between 1930 and 1936.  

Armybrat was a crew supervisor on the build, that's all I know.  

But since the final move to Dallas (1930), we're only ahead 45-40-2.  Not great, Bob.  Let's start hurting some people.  

4 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Oklahoma is allowing as many sacks per game as we are and the consensus around here is our OLine sucks in pass protection. Oklahoma has taken a step back and this is definitely Riley’s worst team. It will be a close game as it has been for the last decade.

Texas has the best roster in the conference and the best coaching staff. The hard part is consistently showing that and being that team every single week. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If we can get them this year it turns the tide big time I think.  The ultimate would be them not making the title game bc they drop another one. 

I think the ultimate would be us beating OU, both teams win out, and face off again in the Big-12 Championship (hopefully our last year in the 12).  We beat them twice and move on.  Big-12 would go apeshit with UT/OU in the championship, and even more when we both leave this year.

We need to replicate WVU. Long sustained back breaking drives.   Our pash rush doesn’t exist and I’m not sure our DBs can cover anyone for 3 seconds let alone 8 seconds.   While BlOwU has looked like dog shit each game. This game they will come out looking like Bama and play to perfection because fuck OU.   The defense really needs to turn in its best performance of the year in a complete game 

• Hook 'Em 2

We need to replicate WVU. Long sustained back breaking drives.   Our pash rush doesn’t exist and I’m not sure our DBs can cover anyone for 3 seconds let alone 8 seconds.   While BlOwU has looked like dog shit each game. This game they will come out looking like Bama and play to perfection because fuck OU.   The defense really needs to turn in its best performance of the year in a complete game 

Yep. I’d almost like PK to just rush 3, drop 8. There won’t be a pass rush regardless, might as well maximize the bodies in coverage and make OU consistently execute down the field.

17 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

FUCK BARRY SWITZER

FUCK BRIAN BOSWORTH

FUCK QUENTIN GRIFFIN

FUCK BILLY SIMS

FUCK BOB STOOPS

FUCK LINCOLN RILEY

FUCK CADE GUNDY

FUCK JOSH HEUPEL

FUCK ROY WILLIAMS

FUCK DUSTY DVORCEK

FUCK TEDDY LEHMAN

FUCK KYLER MURRAY

FUCK JASON WHITE

FUCK SPENCER RATTLER

FUCK ROCKY CALMUS

FUCK BAKER MAYFIELD

FUCK SAM BRADFORD

FUCK LANDRY JONES

FUCK DERRICK STRAIT

FUCK TOBY KEITH

FUCK THE ENTIRE STATE OF OKLAHOMA 

FUCK ALL THE LAND THEIVES 

FINALLY, FUCK THAT MUSICAL TOO. 

You forgot  Rhett Bomar and Big Red Autos. 

I just read an article that said Bijan had 7 carries last year against OU. Christ. 

As for this year, I feel like we have a disadvantage on OL and our receivers hopefully get over their drops from last week. Casey is going to have to recognize blitzes at the line, and we need an effective screen game. Feel like this is a true coin flip game. 

Sark can win me over after that Arkansas embarrassment with a win 

30 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I just read an article that said Bijan had 7 carries last year against OU. Christ. 

I just crunched the numbers. That means he got a combined 7 carries against OU and TCU. Those kinds of decisions could cost a guy his job.

18 hours ago, quigley said:

If OU can't stop the run, you're right, UT will score a lot and it may be game over.
But running the ball efficiently vs. OU hasn't worked so far, the stats and eyeballs agree.

OU has been vulnerable to short passing success. T
eams have a 67% completion percentage and passing rating of 145 vs OU this year.

vs Neb - 9, 12, 14
vs WV - 11, 17
vs KST - 10, 11, 12, 19

I think the numbers get a bit skewed on the run game. Most teams have thrown passes to the running backs and sliced us up. Texas likes to throw small dump passes to Bijan and that has been our Achilles heel. 

19 hours ago, quigley said:

To buttress this point, here are the run/pass splits on the long drives OU's given up this year.

Total plays (run plays), % runs
vs Tulane - 10 (4) and 11 (3),  33%
vs Neb - 9 (5), 12 (7), 14 (7), 54%
vs WV - 11 (5), 17 (7),  43%
vs KST - 10 (3), 11 (6), 12 (4), 19 (7),  38%

On ball control drives vs OU's defense, teams pass more than they run. Nebraska was ~ 50% on their long drives.

So far this year, OU loves it when teams try to run at them. UT's got the best back OU's going to see pre-bowl game. We'll learn if the Horn OL can block for him.

I look at some of these stats and all that jazz, but the truth is this OU team is probably the most overrated OU team along with the most overhyped  Heisman candidate QB in my memory of OU football that probably goes back a few decades.  I'll give them credit for winning their games this year.  But they could be sitting here today unranked and all the OU hound dogs howling for Lincoln's head and certainly putting the thumb on the scale for Rattler to be benched.      They were one yard short of Tulane making a 4th down conversion to possibly seal the deal with a winning drive to run out the clock.  Nebraska did what Nebraska does best and choked in a game they were big time underdogs, but had a chance to win several times and couldn't do it.  Fricken WV held their own and could have won if they were not West Virginia.  Even K-State played them well for the uninterested team they appear to be at times except when the Purple Wizard was coaching and playing Texas.   They could be 2-3 right now if their opponents wouldn't have crapped the bed.   Maybe even 1-4 if K-State played with intensity for 11 games a season.

Edited by Nueces River Rat