Texas BBQ

Washpark

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I've heated up at least 10 Franklin briskets on a Traeger and you are wrong. 

I'm not suggesting reheating it on a Traeger.  I am saying sous vide it and pop it on for 30 minutes.

What has happened to reading comprehension?

By the way, I will be the first to admit I am wrong about a lot of things.  I am simply relaying my experience.

And by the way, if that method doesn't work why would you keep doing it and expecting different results? ... oh, wait

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 2:22 PM, Landomatic said:

Nope, rules are the same for everyone.  Even Obama had to wait in line...or was it Trump...or Jimmy Kimmel?

It was Obama and he didn't have to wait. Not that he asked Franklin or anything. Motorcade pulls up and Secret Service agents go inside and have people step aside for the President. Obama did have the Secret Service Agent pay for like the next few in line that he cut in front of. I still wonder if those people just started ordering as much as they could carry.  

2 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

It was Obama and he didn't have to wait. Not that he asked Franklin or anything. Motorcade pulls up and Secret Service agents go inside and have people step aside for the President. Obama did have the Secret Service Agent pay for like the next few in line that he cut in front of. I still wonder if those people just started ordering as much as they could carry.  

I think it was kanye who showed up expecting to skip the line then bailed when he realized that he’d have to wait. 

What was their reason? I’ve carried on food before but maybe they made an excuse when they saw what it was?

So I checked it in a cooler backpack with a ton of ice packs. I already had a roller bag with clothes and a laptop bag so I had to pick one to check. I figured the brisket was the best choice, since I could still do business without it.

Just got delivered to the hotel. It's probing at 48 degrees and I had them stick it in the refrigerator in their kitchen. What to do...

The only other way to get the outside 'firmed' as you are wishing in quick fashion is if your friend has a 900 degree pizza oven.  You could sous vide it to warm it up, crank the pizza oven up to as hot as it'll go and put the brisket in there for about 90 seconds.  That's about it.  Anything else and you're playing with serious fire.  

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Is there any bbq in Beaumont that is worth a fuck? I see there is a spot in the new 25 TM put out (Charlie’s), but I need confirmation.

When you going ?

ive been meaning to try that place. I’ll be around tomorrow and weds 

Interesting. Defiantly East Texas style bbq

Brisket was slightly above average. Ribs were below avg. 

The sausage was interesting. As is, a big no. I didn't care for the texture, taste was ok. In Hindsight, take some crackers and squeeze it out of the casing on the crackers + a dab of hot sauce >>> win 

baked beans were straight from a can

if you’re passing through, grab a sandwich. I bet the chopped beef is very good. No way in hell its worth a stand alone trip.

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 1:57 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Hmmm. That doesn’t sound like my kind of place. I am not a big fan of east Texas bbq. Thanks for the review.

Not all of it is created equal (or at least in the pejorative "east Texas style").  See Bodacious on Mobberly Ave. in Longview and Stanley's in Tyler. 

Some east Texas joints like these got the memo long ago, turn out delicious food, and have not ever been seen removing bark from anything.

I can't speak for Beaumont though.

Not all of it is created equal (or at least in the pejorative "east Texas style").  See Bodacious on Mobberly Ave. in Longview and Stanley's in Tyler. 
Some east Texas joints like these got the memo long ago, turn out delicious food, and have not ever been seen removing bark from anything.
I can't speak for Beaumont though.

I’ve been to bodacious and it is in fact good. But it is also not what I consider typical wast Texas bbq.

I like it. Pulled hog is better though. 

I’m trying to stick to just meat. Like south Austin’s mom. Their menu looks like just plates with sides. Yeah, I can just not eat it or tell them to 86 the sides, but can I just get beef cheek, half a link and some pulled pork as a plate?

Never mind, I am a dumbass. Misread menu.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’ve been to bodacious and it is in fact good. But it is also not what I consider typical wast Texas bbq.

That's what I mean.  Stanley's similarly is not what you expect from a joint in east Texas (it's central TX style). 

I'm not originally from this area. So other than the cutting the bark off, I'm not familiar with the east Texas style (off to google/okay sounds like overcooked, sauced, hickory [which I like] and thrown into sandwiches/I agree, that sounds like something less than terrific.   I've been to a couple of those mom & pop type joints, but wasn't expecting to be blown away).  That is also to say that there are a dozen subpar BBQ restaurants/chains in this immediate area.  I just don't go to them.

Just sticking up for the couple of good ones we have.  There is good BBQ in east Texas.  It's just not east Texas style BBQ.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m trying to stick to just meat. Like south Austin’s mom. Their menu looks like just plates with sides. Yeah, I can just not eat it or tell them to 86 the sides, but can I just get beef cheek, half a link and some pulled pork as a plate?

be better. 

You can get barbacoa tacos as your side. Do that.
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 8:53 AM, relapse98 said:

Negative. They rent the restaurant out after hours. I think its $50/head, 100 head minimum. That is the way to go. Entire restaurant to just your group, all you can eat, and then when they are done, they box up the leftovers and you take whatever you want home. Fucking fantastic. Pickup is second best way to get Franklin.

Got invited to one of these with our benefits provider.  It was awesome, half the group took home leftovers because most if the crowd was female and not big eaters.  The way to go, fuck that line stuff. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 2:33 PM, BradInATX said:

Well, we will never have a chance to see what happens. Thanks Delta. ABIA TSA had a nice lunch I bet.

Took 2 briskets, turkey breast and 4lbs of sausage all frozen and vac sealed in a carry on recently.  TSA punctured all of the packages opening up the mylar bags it was packed in. Could not reheat in boiling water and resorted to oven bags, turned out awesome just 45 minutes later on dinner.  TSA couldn’t give two shits opening everything up even as I asked them to be careful.  

Feel bad for you. 

19 hours ago, dcbc said:

That's what I mean.  Stanley's similarly is not what you expect from a joint in east Texas (it's central TX style). 

I'm not originally from this area. So other than the cutting the bark off, I'm not familiar with the east Texas style (off to google/okay sounds like overcooked, sauced, hickory [which I like] and thrown into sandwiches/I agree, that sounds like something less than terrific.   I've been to a couple of those mom & pop type joints, but wasn't expecting to be blown away).  That is also to say that there are a dozen subpar BBQ restaurants/chains in this immediate area.  I just don't go to them.

Just sticking up for the couple of good ones we have.  There is good BBQ in east Texas.  It's just not east Texas style BBQ.

I grew up in East Texas. The first I ever heard of cutting the bark off was this thread. Never experienced that anywhere or had anyone mention it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I grew up in East Texas. The first I ever heard of cutting the bark off was this thread. Never experienced that anywhere or had anyone mention it.

Because it is the stupidest fucking communist idea ever.  Nobody does that shit and anybody who does should be summarily and ruthlessly shamed.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I've been here for 18 years and haven't seen it either.  I heard about it from some other poster on here or TOS. 

• Like 1

I watched some clown at Stillwater in Abilene ask for the bark to be cut off.  The guy holding the knife rolled his eyes and then cut off the bark.  But customer wanted more cut off, including the smoke ring.  Knife guy complied then weighed everything, including all that was cut off.  Stupid customer was incensed that he had to pay for the trimmings.  I suggested he should have ordered turkey.

2 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

My BIL is a lieutenant with Tyler PD. Great town perfect size. Lots of growth happening. My daughter went to All Saints for a little bit. 

How about that.  Yes, it's grown like crazy since I've been here, particularly in the past ten years or so. 

Nice place.  When I moved here, I figured I'd make my way to Austin or the surrounding area within five years or so.  Been here ever since.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1