Texas BBQ

Washpark

9 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So, ended up making it to Joseph’s Riverport BBQ before they closed. They had brisket and hot links left. Picture makes the brisket look dry, but it wasn’t. Nice and tender with good flavor. I’d put them in the back 25 of the TM top 50.  1701 in Beaumont was way better. 

spacer.png

Riverport has always been one of those places I just order the chopped brisket sandwich. Seeing a pic of sliced brisket and sausage from there is really foreign to me. Most people just get ribs or brisket sammies.... definitely not your traditional “Texas style” bbq. I get it when I go back to visit my parents and it’s always good but never knew how highly people thought of it til a few years ago

31 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So, ended up making it to Joseph’s Riverport BBQ before they closed. They had brisket and hot links left. Picture makes the brisket look dry, but it wasn’t. Nice and tender with good flavor. I’d put them in the back 25 of the TM top 50.  1701 in Beaumont was way better. 

spacer.png

Doesn't look dry to me.

Would destroy.

On 3/12/2021 at 4:33 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Is there a really, really good BBQ joint in either Lufkin or Nacogdoches?  Obviously deep East Texas, but I am not a huge fan of East Texas BBQ.  I know about the Longview and Tyler spots, but we won't be that far north by lunchtime.  I am seeing Brendyns BBQ in Nacogdoches had a small mention in TM, but the dish they feature doesn't interest me much.  But maybe they do good brisket?  Suggestions?

Sorry so late but I’m just now seeing this.  Brendyn’s is the only place I would recommend in Nac.  Not sure there’s anything that good in Lufkin.  

12 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Sorry so late but I’m just now seeing this.  Brendyn’s is the only place I would recommend in Nac.  Not sure there’s anything that good in Lufkin.  

There’s not. Unless you wanna come to my house. I’m easy, but I ain’t cheap. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

East Texas pretty much sucks. When the number of confederate battle flags and baptists churches out number good bbq joints by 100,000 to 1, something is very wrong.

Pentecostals and all-you-can-eat buffets as far as the eye can see. 

in East Texas, gluttony is not a sin. 

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

spacer.png

What does Vaughn pay to be his photo boy?  Better yet, you should capture the top and hidden BBQ joints in Texas and do a book.  Names and addresses on a list are ok for TM but a nice shot of the places and their pit would be a picture book many Texans would want on the coffee table.  Just a thought.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 9:23 PM, dcbc said:

Finally got a chance to drive over to the Bodacious on Mobberly in Longview. Rolled in at about 2:30 p.m. on Thursday.  Walked in, no line, ordered 2 lbs of brisket, half flat/half point, and about a pound and a half of ribs.  Brisket definitely did not disappoint. Ribs were pretty good. They were sold out of sausage.

8d899181a36746caa6169c9ff1877c12.jpg

Bryan and his crew is putting out some damn good BBQ

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

What does Vaughn pay to be his photo boy?  Better yet, you should capture the top and hidden BBQ joints in Texas and do a book.  Names and addresses on a list are ok for TM but a nice shot of the places and their pit would be a picture book many Texans would want on the coffee table.  Just a thought.  

not exactly what you want but Wyatt McSpadden's Book "Texas BBQ" is close to what you are asking for I think

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0292718586/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

24 minutes ago, elfenix said:

texas has 4 distinct styles, though i feel like east texas style has almost completely withered

Fair. All I know is that growing up there  it was the land of chopped beef sandwiches lathered in sauce. My mind was blown when I went to Austin and had central Texas style bbq. 

10 hours ago, NoName said:

not exactly what you want but Wyatt McSpadden's Book "Texas BBQ" is close to what you are asking for I think

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0292718586/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, exactly, but first its from 2009! Its time for an update.

Second, its not by our own P Swayze.

Lastly, Swayze's version will be akin to 5 minute abs vs McSpadden's six minute abs.   

Who gives that book 1 star?  Apparently, "Paul Heath".  Why?  Read below.  Lol, F you Paul.  
1.0 out of 5 stars  Reviewed in the United States on June 10, 2019
Verified Purchase  ITs a picture book. No reading material
Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Look here motherfuckers, I eat BBQ for me, not for you.  But I document it so that y'all won't wander the wilderness alone.  But even then, most of the places I go are already known, so I am not reporting anything new.  I am a photographer, but my photos of BBQ are garbage.  Mostly because I don't want to be that dork taking pictures of his food with a DSLR. 

My guts are all kind of fucked up.  Straight up explosive diarrhea.  I haven't felt this bad since 2012 when my buddy and I decided to eat Kreuz, Smitty's and Hays County BBQ within 36 hours.

My Pops and I decided to stop at Pecan Lodge on our way back to civilization.  I know people are kind of down on them, but it was pretty damn solid.  Not great, but really good.  Deep Ellum or whatever you yankee fucks call that place is a pain in the ass to park.  Brisket was well seasoned and the sausage (both regular and jalapeño) were very good.  But what in the actual fuck is the deal with places like this not giving bread for free?  The servant told me I need to ask for it at the register.  Wrong.  That is not how it works.  Regardless, the BBQ was head and shoulders above Joseph's Riverport.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Look here motherfuckers, I eat BBQ for me, not for you.  But I document it so that y'all won't wander the wilderness alone.  But even then, most of the places I go are already known, so I am not reporting anything new.  I am a photographer, but my photos of BBQ are garbage.  Mostly because I don't want to be that dork taking pictures of his food with a DSLR. 

My guts are all kind of fucked up.  Straight up explosive diarrhea.  I haven't felt this bad since 2012 when my buddy and I decided to eat Kreuz, Smitty's and Hays County BBQ within 36 hours.

My Pops and I decided to stop at Pecan Lodge on our way back to civilization.  I know people are kind of down on them, but it was pretty damn solid.  Not great, but really good.  Deep Ellum or whatever you yankee fucks call that place is a pain in the ass to park.  Brisket was well seasoned and the sausage (both regular and jalapeño) were very good.  But what in the actual fuck is the deal with places like this not giving bread for free?  The servant told me I need to ask for it at the register.  Wrong.  That is not how it works.  Regardless, the BBQ was head and shoulders above Joseph's Riverport.

spacer.png

I can confidently tell you all that he looks as bad as his guts feel. 

Keep the reports and pics coming, Pattie.  You’re a mofo above all mofos. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

But what in the actual fuck is the deal with places like this not giving bread for free?  The servant told me I need to ask for it at the register.  Wrong.  That is not how it works.

I know some places, especially places that serve bread beyond basic white wonder bread, give bread on request - same with pickles and onions.  It would suck being a restaurant owner and seeing loves of bread per day tossed in the trash.  Charging for bread is a bit much, though.

I know some places, especially places that serve bread beyond basic white wonder bread, give bread on request - same with pickles and onions.  It would suck being a restaurant owner and seeing loves of bread per day tossed in the trash.  Charging for bread is a bit much, though.

Just do it like Pinkerton’s or Truth. They ask you if you want it when they ask if you want sides. Half the time at pay up front places I forget to ask.

24 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Just do it like Pinkerton’s or Truth. They ask you if you want it when they ask if you want sides. Half the time at pay up front places I forget to ask.

I think Pinkerton's and Terry Black's have the whole in-person ordering process down pretty good.

26 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

I think Pinkerton's and Terry Black's have the whole in-person ordering process down pretty good.

I'm not sure if it's just weekends but in San Antonio on the weekends they have a small bar setup outside where the line will stretch to serve alcohol/beer to those waiting in lines before you get inside and order your Q.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Speaking of DFW, I’ll be there Easter weekend. In the Fort Worth/Stockyards area, staying at the Worthington Renaissance...any suggestions on BBQ in that area? 

Panther City BBQ followed by Heim Barbecue in my opinion.  Both great options.

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

spacer.png

Must have just missed you.  We were down the street at Terry Black's yesterday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Speaking of DFW, I’ll be there Easter weekend. In the Fort Worth/Stockyards area, staying at the Worthington Renaissance...any suggestions on BBQ in that area? 

Be very wary of Cooper's.  I spent two days eyeing that place.  Walked in.  Smelled great.  Everything looked good.  Then, first bite... tasted like it came off of a cow's salt lick.  Wayyyy  too salty.  Perhaps we hit it on a bad day.

As per the Deep Ellum parking situation... We came in from the east side of Dallas down main street.  We ended up about 2 blocks from Terry Black's.  There was plenty of parking on the side of the street.  The restaurant itself was pretty roomy.  Granted, this was at about 11:30, so things may be a tad different during busier hours.

14 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Be very wary of Cooper's.  I spent two days eyeing that place.  Walked in.  Smelled great.  Everything looked good.  Then, first bite... tasted like it came off of a cow's salt lick.  Wayyyy  too salty.  Perhaps we hit it on a bad day.

As per the Deep Ellum parking situation... We came in from the east side of Dallas down main street.  We ended up about 2 blocks from Terry Black's.  There was plenty of parking on the side of the street.  The restaurant itself was pretty roomy.  Granted, this was at about 11:30, so things may be a tad different during busier hours.

We have access to private parking at Deep Ellum, that's not an issue. I've had Terry Black's down this way so I'll probably not go there. I'll probably try Heim BBQ just because I've heard about it for years.

I agree about Coopers, having lived in New Braunfels for 3 years. Salty BBQ but on friday they served a inch and half thick smoked pork chop and a baked potato that I would go on fridays to get for 12.99, it was good. Parents went to the one in Llano a few months back and said it was so salty there and wasn't as good as they remember. 

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

This was my experience also at Coopers in the Stockyards.  Won't be going back.

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We have access to private parking at Deep Ellum, that's not an issue. I've had Terry Black's down this way so I'll probably not go there. I'll probably try Heim BBQ just because I've heard about it for years.

I agree about Coopers, having lived in New Braunfels for 3 years. Salty BBQ but on friday they served a inch and half thick smoked pork chop and a baked potato that I would go on fridays to get for 12.99, it was good. Parents went to the one in Llano a few months back and said it was so salty there and wasn't as good as they remember. 

Last time I had it in Llano it was inedible.  And I grew up in a small town where inedible was the norm so I consider myself an expert on shitty bbq.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Last time I had it in Llano it was inedible.  And I grew up in a small town where inedible was the norm so I consider myself an expert on shitty bbq.

the only thing to get at Coopers in Llano is the Big Chop. anything else is a plus, including the beans. but going there and expecting anything close to Top 10 BBQ is going to result in missing your expectations by a ton - even Top 50 is a bad measuring stick.

easily the worst BBQ i have ever had at a Top 50 joint (and not just once, were talking like 5x, I go through Llano a ton) and it isn't getting any better, which is sad

12 hours ago, After irth said:

I read the TM article this morn. Driving through there tomorrow.

Might as well plan a detour...

i don't know how i feel about this beef rib boudin...the full-blood coonass in me says "nah, man"...but the full-blood coonass in me says "oh fuck yes!"

145404267_234027018372603_53170533060791

i do know how i feel about this...no confusion with this.

May be an image of food and indoor

136979677_220949703013668_88148186234125

130247378_192130079228964_50460754017817

128189931_182132330228739_22610401573070

gotta make time to stop on my next trip to Nac...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 4

11 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i don't know how i feel about this beef rib boudin...the full-blood coonass in me says "nah, man"...but the full-blood coonass in me says "oh fuck yes!"

145404267_234027018372603_53170533060791

i do know how i feel about this...no confusion with this.

May be an image of food and indoor

136979677_220949703013668_88148186234125

130247378_192130079228964_50460754017817

128189931_182132330228739_22610401573070

gotta make time to stop on my next trip to Nac...

That might be worth a day trip just for barbecue.  Breakfast at Snow's and lunch in Crockett.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1