Texas BBQ

Washpark

11 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There was a guy in front of me who had obviously never eaten there before. He was taking picture of the pits and the menu. At one point I let a “for fuck’s sake” out without thinking while watching some idiots try to figure out what to order. He did not seem comfortable being next to me in line after that. His loss, my mom always said I was charming.

You got no time for weak-minded or the timid. Or novices.

Edit. I wouldn't say "charming". I'd say "whelming". 😉

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 4:56 PM, Trey3216 said:

Guess is much closer and will likely still have all options.  I’ve been on multiple evenings, mostly thursdays, but even a Saturday night or two and was not disappointed.   Helberg is really damn good, but they will run out faster and it’s a 20+minute jaunt out of the way from the stajium 

exactly this.  you might want to call ahead to Guess and see if they still have what you want, however. 

• Like 1

I'm sure this has been covered, probably on this page knowing my track record, but my son and I will be in Fort Worth on Saturday, and wouldn't mind some 'que for dinner.  Any options?   We're staying near the convention center.  Other decent food recs in the area would be welcome, too.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm sure this has been covered, probably on this page knowing my track record, but my son and I will be in Fort Worth on Saturday, and wouldn't mind some 'que for dinner.  Any options?   We're staying near the convention center.  Other decent food recs in the area would be welcome, too.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/interactive/top-50-bbq-2021/

1 and 9 in Texas (per this list) are in cowtown.

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For Dinner - only real options are Heim on Magnolia Ave or the old school Angelo's (avg cue) off White Settlement Rd. Avoid Railhead.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MAROON said:

First time actually reading through this as I just don't go to these places all that often. Is Goldee's that good or are they just throwing those kids a bone and trying to be a little counterculture? 

Also I need to get my ass to L&L - I live right down the damn street. 

First time actually reading through this as I just don't go to these places all that often. Is Goldee's that good or are they just throwing those kids a bone and trying to be a little counterculture? 
Also I need to get my ass to L&L - I live right down the damn street. 

Wait, I drive to Austin specifically to eat at L&L several times a year, but you can’t get off your ass and walk over? Your parents failed.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Wait, I drive to Austin specifically to eat at L&L several times a year, but you can’t get off your ass and walk over? Your parents failed.

I'm not walking distance - just a couple miles down Congress.

And my parents did their best. 

5 hours ago, MAROON said:

Thanks, my kid's match will be done at 3 PM and pretty close to Panther City, just a  few miles south of there.  Might try to head over and see if they have anything left.

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks, my kid's match will be done at 3 PM and pretty close to Panther City, just a  few miles south of there.  Might try to head over and see if they have anything left.

We had lunch there yesterday.  Arrived at 12:05, ordered by 12:35, and were eating by 12:45.  They ran out of pork ribs just as I got to the window and on the weekend, it is likely they will be pretty much sold out by 3pm.  Would suggest arriving at 11am to insure you got what you wanted.

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Definitely that good.  Like Aaron Franklin in the trailer days good.  As I've said before, really glad I had the experience of eating here a number of times before the list came out, but didn't mind waiting in line at 7:15am one Sunday morning with a friend from South Carolina so he could taste the magic.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, pch said:

We had lunch there yesterday.  Arrived at 12:05, ordered by 12:35, and were eating by 12:45.  They ran out of pork ribs just as I got to the window and on the weekend, it is likely they will be pretty much sold out by 3pm.  Would suggest arriving at 11am to insure you got what you wanted.

Yeah, that's not possible, we're driving up from Austin in the morning, but thanks for the heads up.

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Bo Davis needs to have a talk with jimmyjazz.

True story:  Bo's son was in my daughter's elementary school class ~ 5th grade.  He was already about 5' 10" 180# and his voice was deeper than most men's voices.  He had a crush on my daughter, who was about 4' 10" 90#.  We had to finesse that one.

Alternate plan:  my kid's Sunday match is 10-noon, which matches up with Panther City's hours nicely.  Looks like a meat coma for the drive home.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

True story:  Bo's son was in my daughter's elementary school class ~ 5th grade.  He was already about 5' 10" 180# and his voice was deeper than most men's voices.  He had a crush on my daughter, who was about 4' 10" 90#.  We had to finesse that one.

Alternate plan:  my kid's Sunday match is 10-noon, which matches up with Panther City's hours nicely.  Looks like a meat coma for the drive home.

That's good, but still doesn't explain why you're not eating barbecue for lunch on Saturday prior to the match.

Made it over to J Bar M with my pops. One of the fancier bbq joints I have seen. Really nice spot. I congratulated Willow and ordered 1 lb. Brisket and a link of regular and a link of jalapeño cheese sausage.  As with Willow’s previous BBQ endeavors, it was all excellent. Had they been open for the list, no doubt would they have been included.  Will be back, a lot. 

image.thumb.jpeg.631235370c5bd2f0764e03d6a7456ea5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 3

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

You're not trying hard enough.  

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

quitter !!!

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Bo Davis needs to have a talk with jimmyjazz.

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

That's good, but still doesn't explain why you're not eating barbecue for lunch on Saturday prior to the match.

Surly bringing the heat.  Barbecue shaming at it's finest.😄

• Like 1

Definitely that good.  Like Aaron Franklin in the trailer days good.  As I've said before, really glad I had the experience of eating here a number of times before the list came out, but didn't mind waiting in line at 7:15am one Sunday morning with a friend from South Carolina so he could taste the magic.

Dang, remember Aaron in the trailer days. Just a guy with a passion for cue knocking it out of the park. Plus, you could walk up at 11:15 and get a plate by noon.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Dang, remember Aaron in the trailer days. Just a guy with a passion for cue knocking it out of the park. Plus, you could walk up at 11:15 and get a plate by noon.

Shit. First few times I went, the line was 3 people deep on a busy day. A month later it was at the end of the awning. Just a month after that it was an hour plus.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I'm in the same boat as Jimmyjazz.  Flying to DFW and driving to Granbury so my kids can see their grandma for the first time in 2 years.

I think we can hit Panther City by roughly 2pm Saturday - even worth trying?  I'm thinking the fall back will be BBQ on the Brazos, which I can order ahead and pick up on the way.

Went to L&L last week.  Beef cheeks are amazing, I’m going to hit my butcher up and try to replicate. The pork sausage was also really, really good. Barbacoa and pulled pork were solid, but honestly needed a kick from sauce or japs to be great. I could eat a bucket of the braised cabbage. Not sure what the acid component is in them but it’s perfect.  The pork hash was also good.

I was surprised at the number of people walking up and just ordering a burger. Is it that good or was it just the only burger available in the area (I didn’t look very hard at the other trailers)? 

31 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Went to L&L last week.  Beef cheeks are amazing, I’m going to hit my butcher up and try to replicate. The pork sausage was also really, really good. Barbacoa and pulled pork were solid, but honestly needed a kick from sauce or japs to be great. I could eat a bucket of the braised cabbage. Not sure what the acid component is in them but it’s perfect.  The pork hash was also good.

I was surprised at the number of people walking up and just ordering a burger. Is it that good or was it just the only burger available in the area (I didn’t look very hard at the other trailers)? 

I think the smoked burger is a bit of a specialty but I wouldn't know because I always get the cheeks.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Brothertons or Putska

I agree with these recommendations.  I have never had a bad bite and Brotherton's and they have a dining area.  Pustka Family Barbecue is a trailer and is pretty good, but I had some subpar brisket on one occasion.  Liberty Barbecue in Round Rock is another option.  Liberty is Brotherton's other joint - a sit-down and order restaurant that keeps regular lunch and dinner hours.  If you are finished with basketball later in the afternoon or just would like a sit down meal, Liberty would fit the bill. 

• Hook 'Em 1