Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 11/3/2021 at 1:41 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I can always make a perfectly decent meal out of some Rudy's moist brisket and turkey.  Any port in a storm.

Yeah, I consistently go to great BBQ places but also hit up Rudy's for a meal every now and then.  It is the same reason for going to McDonald'sor whataburger every so often. 

Don't have to wait very long.  Good drink selection.  You know what you are getting (decent, far from great).

Whereas my go to (Truth/Pinkerton/etc), if you are 10 minutes late, makes a big difference in my mood since I rather avoid lines and I don't always feel like spending $30 for lunch (anti-humblebrag).

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

Awesome trip. Kerry is looking older but Tootsie hasn’t changed a bit in 50 years. And yeah, I’ve known her that long. 

She is such a badass and will be up in Dallas to be a judge at our event next spring (probably early April).

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Borachio said:

Interstellar BBQ did not disappoint this morning!  Got there about 10 and was about 10th in line. 

Probably about 50 people in line when they opened at 11.

20211107_112415.jpg

that's about where i was on Sat AM - in like about 1015 and was maybe 15th in line.

fatty brisket was good. lean was just mediocre. the pork belly was great. they had the Texano sausage which was their riff on the oxaca and serrano from 2M but was way more coarsely grounded and was a bit heavy on the cumin.

i thought they were fine overall, not #2 in my eyes (having them ahead of L&L was super iffy in my opinion) but they are also struggling with the truly crushing number of people coming in and working on a borrowed 1000 gallon while their new/next pit comes in.

i want to give them another shot in like 6 months and i bet they are excellent.

4 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Planning on hitting Guess or Helberg in Waco after the OU-Baylor game Saturday.  Would be arriving probably 330-4. Anyone with experience on which would be less crowded/more likely to have all options? Thanks!

2 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

It's been that way since they were featured on a Netflix show a few years ago.  

Where the hell am I?

Planning on hitting Guess or Helberg in Waco after the OU-Baylor game Saturday.  Would be arriving probably 330-4. Anyone with experience on which would be less crowded/more likely to have all options? Thanks!

Guess is much closer and will likely still have all options.  I’ve been on multiple evenings, mostly thursdays, but even a Saturday night or two and was not disappointed.   Helberg is really damn good, but they will run out faster and it’s a 20+minute jaunt out of the way from the stajium 

• Hook 'Em 1

I assume Helberg just because of location...

• Like 1

Ugh, htown Truth BBQ definitely hit with the Texas Monthly surge.  I show up at 10:50 am  like normal and would have been standing in the parking lot in line (about 50th-ish in line).  I usually show up at 10:50 am on a tuesday and am first or second in line. 

Don't these people have anything better to do (not including myself, the answer is no).

• Like 1

Ugh, htown Truth BBQ definitely hit with the Texas Monthly surge.  I show up at 10:50 am  like normal and would have been standing in the parking lot in line (about 50th-ish in line).  I usually show up at 10:50 am on a tuesday and am first or second in line. 
Don't these people have anything better to do (not including myself, the answer is no).

I was just about to post about this. Fuck man. I got here at 10:40 and I was 21st in line (before all the assholes started cutting).

Truth isn’t a surprise fuckfaces. It was on the list before. Plus all the newbs that don’t know how to order without saying “uh” 37 times before figuring it out.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 11/5/2021 at 7:20 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Ok you Metroplex punks, I will likely be in Dallas later this month and want to get some BBQ. We will be staying near downtown and I wanted to try Cattleack, but they have some dumb hours (am I reading this right that they aren’t open on Saturday??). So, it looks like Hurtado or Zavala. Which one should I hit up? What kind of line on a weekend am I looking at? My preferred plate is brisket and sausage.

On 11/6/2021 at 4:32 PM, C-Man said:

They’re open one Saturday a month, I think. Or maybe it’s two. Can’t remember.

First Saturday of the month. Looks like you missed that.

Why not do Terry Black's? If you're "near downtown" Dallas, you'll be damn near walking distance to TB's and you're a good 30 mins to those other places. Although I haven't been to Hurtado or Zavala, I think the general consensus is that TB's is next behind Cattleack and Goldee's in DFW. Might as well just do Goldee's which is probably about 45 minutes if you don't want TB's. Hell, the way you roll on BBQ, you can hit Pecan Lodge and Terry Black's and still come out ahead. Had TB's last week and it was pretty damn good. Looked like this...

On 11/6/2021 at 4:56 PM, speed817 said:

Took the visiting west coast family to Terry Black's in Deep Ellum for lunch today.....

PXL_20211106_170409732.thumb.jpg.4580e01d8498a6595ef3ed7995f05694.jpg

45 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

They dont have online ordering anymore?

On 11/3/2021 at 2:02 PM, C-Man said:

I feel Pecan Lodge dropped off substantially when it added all the additional dinner hours. It was still lunch-only when it opened in Deep Ellum IIRC. I don’t think Justin and Diane are ever there anymore. The consistency just isn’t there. I’m going with a couple bbq committee members on Monday after our meeting with the Fair Park operators — thinking of having our 2022 Cook-Off/Concert down there — and I’ll report back. It was TM Top 10 four years ago and not even Top 50 in 2021. That says a LOT.

The best in DFW that I’ve been to: Cattleack, Goldee’s, Panther City, Terry Black’s and Hutchins. I’m going to Hurtado next week. I feel Slow Bone is just behind this top group. Pecan Lodge is behind them all. I wanted to love Heim because the Mockingbird location is right near my house but it’s just not great. Burgers and sausage are terrific. The rest isn’t. I think Heim is more about making money at this point and I don’t have a problem with that.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:18 PM, speed817 said:

Pecan Lodge is terrible these days just like Heim in Fort Worth.  Not like it used to be.  Both are living off old reputation. 

Guys, I owe you all an apology. I had Pecan Lodge today and it was every bit as mediocre as everyone has said that it has fallen. Wow. Brisket was a weird texture and miles from what they used to serve. The pork ribs were average and the sausage was okay. I had to use a lot of sauce to get that brisket down.

I guess I had Terry Black’s on an off afternoon, but I’d take them off their game then whatever it is Pecan Lodge has become.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

They dont have online ordering anymore?

I'm not sure.  I dont order online from anywhere much and this is my first time having to really wait at Truth's (which I didn't, audibled to local foods).

I'm a sit down at a restaurant and let me eat the food at the most proper temperature while serving myself as many teas and sodas as I want purist.  Old school.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Landomatic said:

First Saturday of the month. Looks like you missed that.

Why not do Terry Black's? If you're "near downtown" Dallas, you'll be damn near walking distance to TB's and you're a good 30 mins to those other places. Although I haven't been to Hurtado or Zavala, I think the general consensus is that TB's is next behind Cattleack and Goldee's in DFW. Might as well just do Goldee's which is probably about 45 minutes if you don't want TB's. Hell, the way you roll on BBQ, you can hit Pecan Lodge and Terry Black's and still come out ahead. Had TB's last week and it was pretty damn good. Looked like this...

I have eaten at Terry Black's in Austin.  Would like to branch out and try something else.  Leaning towards Hurtado.

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have eaten at Terry Black's in Austin.  Would like to branch out and try something else.  Leaning towards Hurtado.

Ah, yeah I get that...makes sense. Bummer about Cattleack not being open when you're here. I haven't been to Hurtado, but from everything I know, you chose wisely (assuming you just don't want to fuck with Goldee's).

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

No way I am waiting in that line. Especially with kids.

If you're interested in venturing a little further, Panther City is incredibly good.

There is likely to be a hefty line at Hurtado. It might not be Goldee's-like but expect to wait.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 11:17 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I was just about to post about this. Fuck man. I got here at 10:40 and I was 21st in line (before all the assholes started cutting).

Truth isn’t a surprise fuckfaces. It was on the list before. Plus all the newbs that don’t know how to order without saying “uh” 37 times before figuring it out.

I wouldn't put up with any bullshit if I were you.

I wouldn't put up with any bullshit if I were you.

There was a guy in front of me who had obviously never eaten there before. He was taking picture of the pits and the menu. At one point I let a “for fuck’s sake” out without thinking while watching some idiots try to figure out what to order. He did not seem comfortable being next to me in line after that. His loss, my mom always said I was charming.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1