Texas BBQ

Washpark

17 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I haven’t kept an official count, but I suspect my lunch yesterday was my 20th at the Houston location. The line is much, much longer now since the pandemic restrictions have been lifted and the new top 50 was released. I kind of miss the situation a year ago. I would fill up, get my feed in 10 minutes and eat it off my tailgate in the parking lot. Now there are a bunch of Johnny come lately’s making the line retarded.

I'm not an expert at shit and opinions of what is best bbq in Htown are subjective (but it's truth, pinkertons, pit room, feges, roegels in that order).

But I am a subject matter expert of Truth BBQ line times when you get there at 10:58 am.  I've been a few bakers dozen times.  I don't go if I can't get there at that time.

This article has added a 25 minute bump at that time. 

And has added an increased amount of assholes who cut in line too.  I hope @Patricio Swayze you aren't one of these because I might shank you if so.

Then again, I've stopped going as frequently now because of said 25 minute new premium.

Edited by Hornbeliever

12 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

I'm not an expert at shit and opinions of what is best bbq in Htown are subjective (but it's truth, pinkertons, pit room, feges, roegels in that order).

But I am a subject matter expert of Truth BBQ line times when you get there at 10:58 am.  I've been a few bakers dozen times.  I don't go if I can't get there at that time.

This article has added a 25 minute bump at that time. 

And has added an increased amount of assholes who cut in line too.  I hope @Patricio Swayze you aren't one of these because I might shank you if so.

Then again, I've stopped going as frequently now because of said 25 minute new premium.

I was #5 in line once and @Patricio Swayze tried to walk up and cut in line. I told him ‘No !’ 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

I hope @Patricio Swayze you aren't one of these because I might shank you if so.

There's a line for this, too. 

(And @deadshank is at the front, but he keeps selling his place for fifty bucks a pop. So far, no luck--@Patricio Swayze is a slippery, jiu-jitsu--trained fuck.

Pro tip: show up with a six pack of ice cold Big Red and he might lower his guard.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

(And @deadshank is at the front, but he keeps selling his place for fifty bucks a pop. So far, no luck--@Patricio Swayze is a slippery, jiu-jitsu--trained fuck.

Pro tip: show up with a six pack of ice cold Big Red and he might lower his guard.)

Huh? 

Great pics.  How bad was the line when you went?

Got there right at open at it was about 10 people deep. Might have had something to do with that horrific loss to KU the night before, but I was pretty surprised.

The line for the same set up at Cattleack a few days later was easily 5 times as long.

Had to haul ass down I-35 yesterday between my son's morning soccer match in Dallas and and his evening match in Austin.  Had to get some gut fuel, stopped at Rudy's in . . . Waco?  Can't remember.

Since we were going to eat while driving, I took a flyer on the pulled pork sammich.  Now, I get it, Rudy's is the Honda Civic of Texas BBQ, perfectly edible, not very exciting.  That said, that pulled pork sammich was by far the worst thing I've ever ordered there.  Don't do it.  I don't know what sauce (Sause?) they put on it, but it was way too Carolina, very heavy on the vinegar, and if I weren't starving, I would have stopped short of finishing the thing.  But, I was starving.  Honestly, the pork itself was pretty bland, regardless of the sauce.

So, so summarize:  yeah, don't go to chain BBQ joints for sammiches?  Don't know.  I still like their moist brisket and their turkey just fine.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Had to haul ass down I-35 yesterday between my son's morning soccer match in Dallas and and his evening match in Austin.  Had to get some gut fuel, stopped at Rudy's in . . . Waco?  Can't remember.

Since we were going to eat while driving, I took a flyer on the pulled pork sammich.  Now, I get it, Rudy's is the Honda Civic of Texas BBQ, perfectly edible, not very exciting.  That said, that pulled pork sammich was by far the worst thing I've ever ordered there.  Don't do it.  I don't know what sauce (Sause?) they put on it, but it was way too Carolina, very heavy on the vinegar, and if I weren't starving, I would have stopped short of finishing the thing.  But, I was starving.  Honestly, the pork itself was pretty bland, regardless of the sauce.

So, so summarize:  yeah, don't go to chain BBQ joints for sammiches?  Don't know.  I still like their moist brisket and their turkey just fine.

Another 30ish minutes and you could have hit buccees outside of temple. 

(And [mention=680]deadshank[/mention] is at the front, but he keeps selling his place for fifty bucks a pop. So far, no luck--[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] is a slippery, jiu-jitsu--trained fuck.

No cutting in line for me. And I hate those fuckers that hold the line for their 6 person party and those other 5 people show up right when doors open.

Deadshank has bought me bbq before. Maybe he is playing the king game.

And jiu jitsu or not, I am such shitass shape right now, I think my two daughters could take me out.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

but what about that cup ???

I’ve never ordered pulled pork at a bbq place 

never 

Debbie Reynolds Halloween GIF by filmeditor

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How the hell does someone not remember where they stopped for food? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

How the hell does someone not remember where they stopped for food? 

Man, I just close my eyes and follow Waze through that shithole, and Waze (by the way) always calls the detour off I-35.  It has never failed me.  Waze >>> Google, which randomly puts me in Tampa or Chicago with instructions on how to get back to Austin in 16 hours.

Rudy's is on the south edge of town, I don't know if it's "Waco" or the next shithole south of there.

Next time, I'm trying that local joint Vitek's, which I'm sure will suck in all kinds of ways, and I'll probably get raped.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, I just close my eyes and follow Waze through that shithole, and Waze (by the way) always calls the detour off I-35.  It has never failed me.  Waze >>> Google, which randomly puts me in Tampa or Chicago with instructions on how to get back to Austin in 16 hours.

Rudy's is on the south edge of town, I don't know if it's "Waco" or the next shithole south of there.

Next time, I'm trying that local joint Vitek's, which I'm sure will suck in all kinds of ways, and I'll probably get raped.

The gut pack at Viteks is certainly better than what you’ll get at Rudy’s. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'll be hitting SS for a couple of those, for sure.  I like the chicken fried smoked beef rib but I've had it several times.  I've never had the brisket chile relleno so I'll probably give it a try tomorrow.  The pitmaster porchetta might be on the list this year, too.

How shit is the Truth line going to be on Saturday or Sunday morning?

I never go on the weekends, but I imagine it is much worse than weekdays. I think if you get there at 10:30 you will likely be in the first 20 people. Or you could be smarter than everyone on this site like greenspoint and order online and eat cold bbq at your house.
  • Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, elfenix said:

How shit is the Truth line going to be on Saturday or Sunday morning?

Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF
It’s not like there wasn’t a line before, but especially after the list it’s worse. As someone mentioned above you get a lot of people that don’t know how or what to order once those lists come out, which always makes it take longer. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Rage+1 1

Vitek’s is okay. Better than Rudy’s by a long shot.

3 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Man, can't imagine the amount of grease and fat involved in a chicken fried smoked beef rib with gravy.  Might have to double up on my statin for that one.

We typically share it amongst 2 or 3 people, and get some other stuff, too.

Tried Dozier's for the first time Saturday. The brisket had an unusual flavor. It was very peppery and had some other spice in the bark as well. The jalapeno cheese sausage tasted like something you could buy at a grocery store, and the pork ribs were dry. The collard greens and green beans were good. I don't think I'll go back. 

40 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Truth BBQ (houston) line update:  got in line at 10:50 am, sat at my table at 11:30 am.

But what I really wanted to add was that their soda carbonation levels are always on point.  That is very important to the experience.  I hate flat soda.   

How were the pickles though?

15 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

How were the pickles though?

Not as good as Local Foods pickles but still quality.

I will be analyzing the napkin set up next trip.  Actually, I know yall can't wait so I'll do it now.....I don't like it.  In order to get a napkin, I have to hold the roll down and many people have touched that roll doing the same thing.  Napkin game at Truth BBQ = weak.

• Like 1

Got to Sunbirds right at 11 and there were 10 or so in line. 

Ordered half a pound of brisket (slightly fatty), turkey, pork taco, a poblano taco sausage link, and mac n cheese topped with chopped brisket and one plain. 

The brisket was really fucking good. I’m bad at the “best ever” game but it equaled or surpassed what he was doing at Bodacious. So yea, if you’re around Longview get your ass there  

The turkey was good, nothing exceptional. 

The pork taco was better than expected. I’d order a plate of these anytime, anywhere. 

The poblano taco sausage link was easily the best speciality link I’ve ever had. Holy fuck I want more of it. 

The mac n cheese was … different. It was good but had a sweetness that took say from the overall dish to me. YMMV here, everyone ha different mac n cheese tastes. Topped with brisket cut out the sweetness and was much better. 

169-EF5-FD-CCFA-4746-ABC1-76-FD601-D662-

C072-AC7-A-F386-4-D14-ADB0-9176-EE981798

DC6032-D4-B34-A-405-B-B43-C-8439-B7-C44-

DCA22582-F86-A-4250-B275-BDEA002-F565-A.

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4