Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 1/3/2022 at 6:11 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Part of the issue is craft pits overreliance on prime grade beef and micro farmed proteins. Texas barbecue is rooted in butchers smoking scraps to make delicious meals.

As much as I enjoy the craft guys near me: Hurtado, Derek Allen, Panther City etc my usual place in Arlington remains Davids, descended from Sonny Bryan’s. Brisket recently went to $17.95 a pound. Plus he does a killer ham at $12.95 that we buy instead of deli meat. It’s all you need, nothing you don’t.

I ate at Panther City a few months back.  I chose that place because it was hot as fuck and they have AC.  Food was really good.

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess I should have asked about the foil. All I know is the brisket was delicious.

Puttin' on the foil, coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:16 AM, fluff said:

Pig Pen in Dripping…Thought it was absolutely terrible. Anybody else been? You would have thought is was #1 in Texas by reading the Nextdoor posts about it.

Yeah, it's steam smoker crap.  I'll get a sandwich that can be drowned in sauce, but other than that... nah.  Way too many people out here don't know decent from good from bad.  I mean, the guy (retired A.P.D., hence the logo) is nice enough but nope, it's no better than Railroad just 4 blocks West.

Yeah, it's steam smoker crap.  I'll get a sandwich that can be drowned in sauce, but other than that... nah.  Way too many people out here don't know decent from good from bad.  I mean, the guy (retired A.P.D., hence the logo) is nice enough but nope, it's no better than Railroad just 4 blocks West.

Steam smoker? That’s fucking boiled meat. I believe that’s what fucking Dickey’s uses cooking their shit in big plastic bags. Dickeys is an embarrassing export of Texas.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/6/2022 at 3:13 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Thanks for the confirmation! Sides were pretty darn bad as well. Don’t want to know how much they spent remodeling that place, but I can’t imagine those numbers working out.

2 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Yup. Sorry wasn’t trying to be sly on the location.

I’ve seen more than a few posts over time pointing out that Turkey takes up room for better meats.
Was a tad dry today.

Never had the turkey. Chicken is always on point there. 

Trying something a little different today - SLAB BBQ & BEER in Cedar Park. They've had a location at Burnet and 183 for a while, but just recently opened up in CP. No meat by the pound or Texas Trinity. Only sandwiches. Tried the El Jefe. Brisket with grilled onions and peppers, jalapeño slices, barbecue sauce, and queso. Tasted good but not enough brisket to consider it a real barbecue sandwich. Should have tried The McDowell ‐ deboned St. Louis rib sandwich.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Took a friend to Tejas yesterday.   He’d never heard of the joint.  We roll up to Tomball, America and show up right at noon.  No line to speak of. 

Order pork ribs, burnt ends, chile relleno sausage and brisket off the fat end.  

It was spectacular.  I skipped supper. 

Pickles were on point.  No tortillas. 

No pics.  Y’all have seen bbq before.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Took a friend to Tejas yesterday.   He’d never heard of the joint.  We roll up to Tomball, America and show up right at noon.  No line to speak of. 

Order pork ribs, burnt ends, chile relleno sausage and brisket off the fat end.  
It was spectacular.  I skipped supper. 
Pickles were on point.  No tortillas. 

No pics.  Y’all have seen bbq before.  

Well, that does it, I’m never looking at a sunset again. Seen it before.
  • Haha 2

Trying something a little different today - SLAB BBQ & BEER in Cedar Park. They've had a location at Burnet and 183 for a while, but just recently opened up in CP. No meat by the pound or Texas Trinity. Only sandwiches. Tried the El Jefe. Brisket with grilled onions and peppers, jalapeño slices, barbecue sauce, and queso. Tasted good but not enough brisket to consider it a real barbecue sandwich. Should have tried The McDowell ‐ deboned St. Louis rib sandwich.

You can get ribs by the pound. The food tastes good but will make you fat.

12 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

You can get ribs by the pound. The food tastes good but will make you fat.

Yeah.  I'm probably not going back.  If I want barbecue by the pound, there are several good places around.  If I want a barbecue sandwich, this one from Liberty Barbecue in Round Rock is far superior:

spacer.png