Texas BBQ

Washpark

What would you say is the secret of midwest pork shops that are smoking shoulder (not loin) but not in such a way as to dry it out?  Less time on the smoke?  Spritzing with juice/water/marinade?  Wrapping after X hours?  Other?
I've smoked many a pork shoulder and I can't think of any that weren't fantastic.  Maybe I got lucky, or maybe it's that old thing about the difference between a one-off back yard operation and a commercial operation cranking out a hundred pounds or more per day.

The key to shoulders seems like the same as a brisket: low and slow. Basically take a peeled shoulder and season it with your no sugar rub and let it marinate overnight. It goes on at 225 typically 12 hours, and it’s should be doused about every 20 minutes with a basting sauce, which is basically vinegar and rub. When done the fat should be just rendered but no more. It seems that the biggest mistake is folks cook them too long owing to our traditional fear of pork worm. They continue cooking on the rest so that seems to be the cause of dry pork. The other issue is folks pull it and mince it very fine and it’s steams in a pan and turns mushy.

There are plenty of bad pork barbecue joints in Memphis as there are anywhere else. I have not found a level of pork barbecue that I equate to the level of the brisket at Franklin, Heim, Mueller and other premier Texas joints since I moved back from out west in 05. Im still searching for pork around here that equals John Wills or Horton Payne’s in Memphis. I’ll certainly crow about it when I find it.

I don't know why anyone would fear a parasite surviving when the meat is 180 F or higher.

I don't baste, but all my pork shoulders have been at 225 F for hours and hours.  Simple salt and pepper.  I guess it's the "Texas" way.  It doesn't hurt to catch drippings in a pan and then make a finishing sauce.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know why anyone would fear a parasite surviving when the meat is 180 F or higher.

I don't baste, but all my pork shoulders have been at 225 F for hours and hours.  Simple salt and pepper.  I guess it's the "Texas" way.  It doesn't hurt to catch drippings in a pan and then make a finishing sauce.

Yup pork shoulder is super-easy to smoke and deliver a tender, juicy, delicious product.  And reintroducing the drippings into the final pulled product tastes about 1000x better than spoiling it with vinegar based sauces.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Stopped into Burnt Bean for a second time.  We got a pound of brisket, a link of jalapeño cheddar, two cups of smoked chicken tortilla soup and some beans.  Well, that was an exceptional lunch. Everything was top notch. Tortilla soup hits the spot on a cold ass day.  

image.thumb.jpeg.1e6205e333a69a4e79720b964006b40d.jpeg

Was it traditional BBQ tortilla soup?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Anybody ever eaten at Stanley’s in Tyler? Thinking of stopping in on Monday. I know they’ve been on the top 50 before but would like a connoisseur’s opinion on the place.

8 years ago it was the best in tyler proper, but it was old-style per-rennaissance menu and execution

was absolutely worth a lunch, i had 7 lunches there over 18 months, and the best menu item is the 3-meat sandwich in sauce, so you get the idea

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

8 years ago it was the best in tyler proper, but it was old-style per-rennaissance menu and execution

was absolutely worth a lunch, i had 7 lunches there over 18 months, and the best menu item is the 3-meat sandwich in sauce, so you get the idea

8 years ago…is it still the best in Tyler?

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Anybody ever eaten at Stanley’s in Tyler? Thinking of stopping in on Monday. I know they’ve been on the top 50 before but would like a connoisseur’s opinion on the place.

Stanley's is a good joint.  Top 50 again this round.  I can't remember if they're open on Monday.  The brisket is good.  The ribs used to be pretty good, but they've changed something in the last year or so and I'm not a huge fan of the change.  The mother clucker or Cadillac Clucker sandwich is worth your time. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

It's no longer "pre-rennaissance" and has improved appreciably over 8 years ago. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Made it to J Bar M yesterday. Sorry, no pics

Wife got the Turkey, I went with the brisket.  Brisket was top notch.....even the "lean" was moist.  I'd put it up agains t any of the other top places in town. 

Sides were ok..Either the Mac n cheese or the creamed corn were probably the best out of the 4 we had (Mac, Potato salad, creamed corn and red cabbage slaw)

Place is gigantic. 2 full bars...one inside and one outside.  Huge Patio, stage for live music, kinda of a kids area.  

I think it's too big, and I hope it's not his downfall

I'll be back to try the other offerings

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Made it to J Bar M yesterday. Sorry, no pics

Wife got the Turkey, I went with the brisket.  Brisket was top notch.....even the "lean" was moist.  I'd put it up agains t any of the other top places in town. 

Sides were ok..Either the Mac n cheese or the creamed corn were probably the best out of the 4 we had (Mac, Potato salad, creamed corn and red cabbage slaw)

Place is gigantic. 2 full bars...one inside and one outside.  Huge Patio, stage for live music, kinda of a kids area.  

I think it's too big, and I hope it's not his downfall

I'll be back to try the other offerings

the guy playing today at noon is damn good, nick gaitan 

Not sure where else to put this, but what do you guys think is reasonable price for a half chord of oak? Paid $150 last summer and thought that was light on the lube but getting some NLAA right now on quotes.  Might even go to a full chord and split with my dad just to price it right.   

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I wouldn't pay more than $8/ft^3, because that's what I can buy small bundles for at places like Tractor Supply or Randall's.  

Right now the lowest price I see, delivered & stacked, is $7/ft^3, in full cord deliveries (Papa Wood).  That's a shit ton of wood.

That would be like $1000 per cord if my math is right. 

648ctt.jpg 

• Haha 2

Not sure where else to put this, but what do you guys think is reasonable price for a half chord of oak? Paid $150 last summer and thought that was light on the lube but getting some NLAA right now on quotes.  Might even go to a full chord and split with my dad just to price it right.   

Where are you?

On 1/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Sorry but these are two different and separate barbecue cultures and they each have their fine points. One should never order beef east of the Mississippi (actually east of Little Rock but whatever) or pork the other way.

Central Texas pork barbecue is generally a dried out tough gnarly mess. I’ve had it all over and the best, Tootsie’s pork steaks at Snow’s, I’d not get again. And Melissa Cookson, the top pitmaster in Memphis, makes a brisket that is better than Dickeys but it’s not close to average Texas brisket.

recent developments where you see brisket in Memphis joints and “pulled pork” in Texas is unfortunate.

fans GIF

I was checking out my twitter feed yesterday before heading out for some barbecue.  Brett's Backyard BBQ in Rockdale had some beautiful looking pork steaks.  Headed that way and got there around 11:00.  While waiting in line, I spoke to another guy who had hit Snow's earlier that morning - in fact, he and his buddies arrived at 11:30 Friday night.  They were first in line and he said several other people started showing up between 3 and 4.  I've been thinking about another trip to Snow's, but even I can't imagine getting there that early.

At Brett's, I picked up a couple Big Ass Pork Steaks, 1/2 pound of brisket, and two brisket poppers.  Brought the pork steaks home and tried to pass them off as a non-barbecue dinner - I don't think anyone was fooled.  Everything from Brett's was great.  Certainly worth a stop if your driving through Rockdale around lunch.

Left Rockdale to go to Green's Sausage House in Zabcikville outside of Temple.  Along the route, just south of Cameron, I saw 44 Farms.  Stopped and picked up a couple nice steaks for Valentine's day.  Picked up a pound of bacon and 10 links of sausage at Green's - jalapeno cheese pork sausage, hot links, and knackwurst.  Grabbed a couple jalapeno dry sticks and a slice of cheddar for the ride home.  Pretty cool place that has been around since the mid-1940s.

Turned out to be a nice road trip.

FLaKjZyXEAYf27e?format=jpg&name=small

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 3:47 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Stanleys is good - best BBQ in Tyler almost for sure.

The Cadillac Mother Clucker is the best BBQ sandwich (non brisket category) in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

I missed that firewood discussion a few days ago, but most people that sell firewood are advertising "face cords" and not full cords. A full cord is 4' high x 4' wide x 8' long. But a face cord is 4' high x 8' long by the width of one row of firewood - typically 16 inches. I didn't know about that until I thought I was getting a helluva deal on a half cord of wood two years ago only to have the guy show up and deliver about a third of what I was expecting. Then I thought I got ripped off and the guy explained the difference between full cords and face cords. Delivered firewood is expensive as shit. Most place are selling half FACE cords of post oak delivered and stacked for ~$225 - $250.