Texas BBQ

Washpark

There is definitely something to this.  Hit the OG trailer spot on rec of the shag and it became regular rotation.  There were some really weird posts in that thread back on shag that brought into posters and eyes from different universes. 
Aaron mentioned to me on more than one occasion [while operating the trailer next to Owl Roasting] that he wanted to name a sandwich in Shag's honor but never could settle on what to put in / on it.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Someone a while back recommended "Brendyn's" BBQ in Nacogdoches so Mrs Shooter and I gave it a try last weekend. I'm glad to say the brisket was spot on. Tried both sauces, a more traditional red sauce and a yellow(mustard?) sauce. The red one was very bland and reminded me of a poor quality store bought sauce. The yellow sauce was so vinegary and overwhelmingly strong that it totally suffocated the flavor of the meat completely. I'm not much of a sauce person anyway(unless it's my own), but they were horribad, but the brisket on its own was great. Got beans as a side since for some reason they were out of potato salad at 11:40am, and they opened at 11:00am? They were the baked beans and would rate a 3.5 on a 10 scale.

Brisket... great, pass on the rest.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Aaron mentioned to me on more than one occasion [while operating the trailer next to Owl Roasting] that he wanted to name a sandwich in Shag's honor but never could settle on what to put in / on it.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

I met Aaron at Pecan Lodge while he was shooting his PBS series. He rolled up to the bar next to me to get a beer, at that point I figured I'd strike up a small conversation. He knew Shaggy well. I mentioned that shagsters were commenting when they were in line, he joked and said, I should get on there and say I'm back here on the pits. That would've been awesome if named something for the shags.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 11:55 AM, Mo Horn said:

Son and DIL went to Hurtado's in Arlington. They said it was one of the best they've had, and they've tried a lot of Texas BBQ, including Franklin's. 

28586.thumb.jpeg.8d0ccba8c323d678e0dd02514678a1c5.jpeg

I'm in DC until the 27th, but will be going here before 2021 comes to a close.

Although on the West Coast, I learned of the Austin BBQ explosion by following the Franklin thread on TOS. Finally joined a couple posters at Mueller Meat Co and had a great time and with great BBQ, then got in line with a couple other posters at Franklin a year or two later for more of the same. I usually find a new spot to try when I'm in Texas, but those were the only times u visited those two. Reading the recent Top 50, iI feel like I was in on the ground floor.

What time do you need to be in line at Franklin these days?

I'm looking to likely meet a few posters there again this week, and maybe buyung a whole smoked brisket to share with my friends back in San Francisco like I did last time.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:26 AM, dmtx said:

I met Aaron at Pecan Lodge while he was shooting his PBS series. He rolled up to the bar next to me to get a beer, at that point I figured I'd strike up a small conversation. He knew Shaggy well. I mentioned that shagsters were commenting when they were in line, he joked and said, I should get on there and say I'm back here on the pits. That would've been awesome if named something for the shags.

Used to buy his BBQ back he was selling it out of the back of his car in the old Countrywide Parking lot in Plano.  People from all the corporate HQ's in the area would come over for lunch.

Heard he met Aaron @ the aggy brisket camp in CS?  Always wanted to do it, but jesus, it's booked out forever in advance.  

Then when he got a spot in the Dallas Market Hall he kind of dropped of my radar.  

Pecan Lodge is probably my favorite place in DFW.  There are always going to be "better" food, but I just love going down there.  The food is top notch and I love that you can skip the lines and get the "Trough", have a beer at the bar, and get your food in a fraction of the time.  

On 12/18/2021 at 8:06 AM, Party_Taco said:

Damn, I was gonna stop there when last in town but ran outta time and hit Cattleack instead.

No regrets, but when I came across it in Google it seemed like the best food available in Arlington.

Cattleack is legit.  Just hard to get to during the week and they always seem to run out of what I'm wanting.  Good friend runs a BBQ blog and YouTube channel.  I trust his knowledge/experience, and it's one of his favorites.  

20 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Although on the West Coast, I learned of the Austin BBQ explosion by following the Franklin thread on TOS. Finally joined a couple posters at Mueller Meat Co and had a great time and with great BBQ, then got in line with a couple other posters at Franklin a year or two later for more of the same. I usually find a new spot to try when I'm in Texas, but those were the only times u visited those two. Reading the recent Top 50, iI feel like I was in on the ground floor.

I'm looking to likely meet a few posters there again this week, and maybe buyung a whole smoked brisket to share with my friends back in San Francisco like I did last time.

Check his website ahead of time.  You might be able to pre-order the whole brisket for pickup.

• Like 1

I have bad news for you:

536e7ae4b9c2739eb526a8f1c3108406.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

My football buddy and I are making our annual pilgrimage to the Alamo Bowl next week and we've decided to forgo the tradition of eating Mexican food at one of the crowded joints downtown. We're looking to stop along the way at one of the barbecue joints in San Marcos, or some place not likely jam packed. What's the preferred option for decent cue, or any other suggestions in the area along I-35 that are nice?

My football buddy and I are making our annual pilgrimage to the Alamo Bowl next week and we've decided to forgo the tradition of eating Mexican food at one of the crowded joints downtown. We're looking to stop along the way at one of the barbecue joints in San Marcos, or some place not likely jam packed. What's the preferred option for decent cue, or any other suggestions in the area along I-35 that are nice?

Hays County BBQ
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, DougO said:

2M in San Antonio or La BBQ in Austin 

also I highly  recommend the Pearl area by downtown SA. Check out the SA thread down below, ton of great Rec’s for really good Mexican food in SA. Those guys will drown you with their hometown recs. 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, DougO said:

Not right on 35, but Black's in NB is decent.

My buddy that is friends with Willow is in town so we met for lunch at J Bar M. We got the full tour of the place and he hooked us up with a big sample tray of meats, sides and desserts.  This was my second time there and it was all fantastic. Especially the brisket and sausage (which he makes in house).  

image.thumb.jpeg.b389bdc106a63f49da2b550cfe6df34e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8cfa6eae1c8409d0b2f7dc3a184f155d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ae8f12b0031d9eb58bb51637bfcffd84.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2

I stopped by a few weeks ago and agree on the brisket and sausage. The ribs weren’t quite ready when we made it through the line at 11:15. Marinated tomatoes were really good but I’d skip the coleslaw unless you like a strong tabasco slaw. Think they use a shit ton of it in place of regular vinegar. Tabasco is fine, but it was overwhelming.

Weak pickle game.

• Hook 'Em 1

X-posting from the Dallas BBQ thread...

Sorry to have to report this...went to Terry Black's (Dallas) last week and it was really really meh. I took the family who was in from out of town for Christmas and of course, I oversold the hell out of it to them, only to show up and have it be way below average. Brisket was roast beef and sausage was so overcooked, we almost couldn't eat it. Pork ribs were just okay and they're normally great. Horribly disappointing top to bottom.

It was 2 days before Christmas so maybe they had their C team working holiday hours or something? Or maybe some were out with Covid? I know whoever was running the pits definitely wasn't the same guy that was running them last time we were there when everything was great. Hoping whatever the reason, it was just a glitch and they'll be back to normal next time, but that drastic of a swing in consistency is concerning.

I just made some delicious tacos with leftovers from J Bar M. Put the pics in the steel shank thread. 

So, I am not a big ribs guy, but Willow gave us some at lunch yesterday. I decided to hell with warming the last one up while making the tacos and decided to eat it cold. Maybe I am crazy, but cold left over ribs may be better than hot and fresh. 

Saw the guy from "Hard Eight" on one of the food networks today.  He claimed they go through 1000 lb brisket, 700 lb ribs, and 500 chickens each day, and that was at 1 of 5 locations.

I looked at their menu -- that equates to over $78M annual revenue for just those items, assuming all 5 do similar volume.  No other main courses, no sides, no desserts, no drinks.

I'm calling bullshit.  Hell, D&B asserts Rudy's is at $94M annual across all locations, of which there are about 45.  That would suggest "Hard Eight" is 9X more busy at each of their 5 locations.

Based on this analysis, I conclude their BBQ sucks.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Saw the guy from "Hard Eight" on one of the food networks today.  He claimed they go through 1000 lb brisket, 700 lb ribs, and 500 chickens each day, and that was at 1 of 5 locations.
I looked at their menu -- that equates to over $78M annual revenue for just those items, assuming all 5 do similar volume.  No other main courses, no sides, no desserts, no drinks.
I'm calling bullshit.  Hell, D&B asserts Rudy's is at $94M annual across all locations, of which there are about 45.  That would suggest "Hard Eight" is 9X more busy at each of their 5 locations.

It does suck. I was at one for some corporate sales thing and the cutter peeled the bark off of each brisket before slicing it.

So, I got the chicken and some jalapeño poppers. That is hard to fuck up, but they managed. Fuck Hard 8.

4 minutes ago, tigol said:

It does suck. I was at one for some corporate sales thing and the cutter peeled the bark off of each brisket before slicing it.

WTF?

You know, I'd have to find the episode, but I think the "pitmaster" said they smoke over mesquite.  Maybe peeling the bark is the best they can do.

For what its worth, 1000 pounds of pre-trimmed brisket will yield about 360 pounds of finished brisket (according to a very thorough analysis by L&L on one of their Patreon videos).  I suspect they are using pre-trimmed, uncooked weights.  OR just bullshit numbers.

Here was L&L's breakdown on their test brisket:

untrimmed - 11.72#

trimmed - 6.99#

scrap/fat - 2.28#/2.4#

tallow - 0.85#

finished - 4.29# = 36% of original weight.

L&L uses everything, though.  Scrap and fat for burgers.  Tallow for confit beef cheeks.

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

X-posting from the Dallas BBQ thread...

Sorry to have to report this...went to Terry Black's (Dallas) last week and it was really really meh. I took the family who was in from out of town for Christmas and of course, I oversold the hell out of it to them, only to show up and have it be way below average. Brisket was roast beef and sausage was so overcooked, we almost couldn't eat it. Pork ribs were just okay and they're normally great. Horribly disappointing top to bottom.

It was 2 days before Christmas so maybe they had their C team working holiday hours or something? Or maybe some were out with Covid? I know whoever was running the pits definitely wasn't the same guy that was running them last time we were there when everything was great. Hoping whatever the reason, it was just a glitch and they'll be back to normal next time, but that drastic of a swing in consistency is concerning.

I was there 12/26 and everything was excellent.  Its always funny to leave there with and then drive past Pecan Lodge with a line wrapped around the building.  Folks don't realize better food with no line is 1/2 mile down the street.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe it's pre-trimming and cooking weight?

Trimming & cooking weight would explain some of the lost revenue on brisket.  It doesn't explain the ribs, and definitely doesn't explain the chicken (they quote "1/2 chicken" is $8, so a whole chicken is $16, regardless of weight loss).

Now we're down to $54M annual, assuming the 36% number is correct (which seems pretty extreme), plus all the other main courses, sides, desserts and drinks.

Total bullshit.