Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 2/13/2022 at 2:41 PM, Jerry Callo said:

I was checking out my twitter feed yesterday before heading out for some barbecue.  Brett's Backyard BBQ in Rockdale had some beautiful looking pork steaks.  Headed that way and got there around 11:00.  While waiting in line, I spoke to another guy who had hit Snow's earlier that morning - in fact, he and his buddies arrived at 11:30 Friday night.  They were first in line and he said several other people started showing up between 3 and 4.  I've been thinking about another trip to Snow's, but even I can't imagine getting there that early.

At Brett's, I picked up a couple Big Ass Pork Steaks, 1/2 pound of brisket, and two brisket poppers.  Brought the pork steaks home and tried to pass them off as a non-barbecue dinner - I don't think anyone was fooled.  Everything from Brett's was great.  Certainly worth a stop if your driving through Rockdale around lunch.

Left Rockdale to go to Green's Sausage House in Zabcikville outside of Temple.  Along the route, just south of Cameron, I saw 44 Farms.  Stopped and picked up a couple nice steaks for Valentine's day.  Picked up a pound of bacon and 10 links of sausage at Green's - jalapeno cheese pork sausage, hot links, and knackwurst.  Grabbed a couple jalapeno dry sticks and a slice of cheddar for the ride home.  Pretty cool place that has been around since the mid-1940s.

Turned out to be a nice road trip.

FLaKjZyXEAYf27e?format=jpg&name=small

We go down to Green's every couple months with a big group of friends.  Typically pair that up with Oscar Store and/or Cyclone.  Makes for a fun Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gave Killen’s in the Woodlands a shot today. First time at a Killen’s since trying the Pearland location a few years back. Got the usual brisket and sausage. It was a very solid meal, but not as good as my Houston favorites. I will say this, their prices are more reasonable. Brisket was $25 a lb. So that alone will likely me go back again. Oh, and line on a Wednesday at 11:45am wasn’t bad at all. About 10 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

No man’s land.

RJ’s in San Angelo looks like it might (and that’s a big might) be serviceable.

Goodbye and good luck.

I'm not expecting greatness - just properly prepared barbecue at decent prices.  Daniel Vaughn and his TM crew didn't identify a place in the top 50 or 50 honorable mentions, but there has to be somewhere worth trying.    

On 2/6/2022 at 10:34 PM, Anastasis said:

lakeway/bee caves area. 

Try Bastrop Firewood, great people. At my old gig we went through a few providers before we found them and they were  awesome to work with. Friendly, respectful, proud of the business they've built and very hard-working. They are some of the people I most miss about my former employer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/15/2022 at 10:53 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Anyone tried Reese Brother’s BBQ in San Antonio. Their Instagram looks legit, but you can’t taste a picture (unless you are in Japan).

https://instagram.com/reesebrosbbq?utm_medium=copy_link

I have not - but younger brother Elliot is a cool guy. Figured one of you would get around to it at some point. The pics always look good. 

Everything from Brett's was great.  Certainly worth a stop if your driving through Rockdale around lunch.

Agreed, I've been there and really liked it. Great spot to hang out as well with the big outdoor area in small town TX. 

While waiting in line, I spoke to another guy who had hit Snow's earlier that morning - in fact, he and his buddies arrived at 11:30 Friday night.  They were first in line and he said several other people started showing up between 3 and 4. 

Confused Excuse Me GIF by The Steve Wilkos Show

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Anyone with a recommendation for a good barbecue joint in Midland/Odessa or San Angelo?

Luchi’s in Stanton is pretty good. I really liked the ribs. Brisket is probably Rudy’s level. 

I also liked the smoked turkey breast. All of the sides were good. They have a daily special, but start running out of stuff within a couple hours of opening. 

There was an excellent food truck in Odessa, but it disappeared. 

19 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Gave Killen’s in the Woodlands a shot today. First time at a Killen’s since trying the Pearland location a few years back. Got the usual brisket and sausage. It was a very solid meal, but not as good as my Houston favorites. I will say this, their prices are more reasonable. Brisket was $25 a lb. So that alone will likely me go back again. Oh, and line on a Wednesday at 11:45am wasn’t bad at all. About 10 minutes.

Going to give the Pearland location a shot this weekend.  I'll probably get a pound of brisket and a link and a side.

For you Houston folks, how is the line on a Saturday at J Bar M?  Better, worse, or about the same as Truth?

I have never been on Saturday. But I would bet it is much shorter than Truth. When I go on weekdays? There is essentially no line. But Daniel Vaughn just blew them up on Twitter this week. So who knows.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Finally made it out to Dayne's Craft Barbecue in Fort Worth today.  Brisket and Sausage were delicious.  I honestly don't say that about sausage very often.  The burger was simple, yet amazing.  One of the best burgers I've ever had.  Dayne's is definitely worth of its place in the Top 50.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaIbL_7P8DT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

PXL_20220218_190352873.thumb.jpg.69fbc4a2e5532c95635c3f528e3fca95.jpg

PXL_20220218_190342386.thumb.jpg.db54647dfe7ab74da15bf55f80a87a7d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, dmtx said:

Brix Barbecue in Fort Worth just started serving on Fridays. This is the Tour de Brix - ½ brisket, ½ ribs, sausage link, two beef cheek tacos, burnt ends, and two sides. 

The Fort is killin the bbq game

20220218_111947.jpg

My next stop the next time I'm on that side of DFW

Anyone with a recommendation for a good barbecue joint in Midland/Odessa or San Angelo?

No man’s land.

RJ’s in San Angelo looks like it might (and that’s a big might) be serviceable.

Goodbye and good luck.

Here’s where I give a shout out to Plateau Brewing in San Angelo. A good friend is an owner, and they have Southern Smoke BBQ there Thursday-Sunday. It looks legit:

0ac128ec760297c042004bdec08545da.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

Question for you gentlemen. How good is Rudy’s? I live in Oklahoma City and we have one here and for me it’s just meh. But I have heard the ones in Texas are totally different and the bbq is way better. 

Can confirm the Rudy’s I stopped at in OKC was awful and had weird sides I’d never seen here. 

Also, fuck Oklahoma!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Question for you gentlemen. How good is Rudy’s? I live in Oklahoma City and we have one here and for me it’s just meh. But I have heard the ones in Texas are totally different and the bbq is way better. 

I ate at the OKC one and it was somewhat disappointing. Having grown up in barbecue culture in Texas and Memphis, and then living in bbq deserts like San Francisco and Portland, I would have killed for a Texas version of Rudy’s back then.

Tried Killens in pearland for lunch today. Brisket wasn’t as good as pinkertons and pinkerton’s wasn’t great in my opinion. It was decent though and hard to beat the price currently at $25/lb. Would rather just buy a brisket and do one myself honestly. Sausage was meh. If I go again, I’ll have to do a beef rib. 

Baked beans and cream corn were on point though.

Rudy's around Austin are perfectly fine in a pinch.  I have no idea how they fare beyond the original San Antonio joint.  Sounds like there are some inconsistencies.

Brisket is "good", pork ribs are closer to "average", turkey is "excellent".  Spicy chop sammiches are outstanding alternatives to generic fast food.  Breakfast tacos are tasty.  That's all I got, I avoid wasting time on sides.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Rudy's around Austin are perfectly fine in a pinch.  I have no idea how they fare beyond the original San Antonio joint.  Sounds like there are some inconsistencies.
Brisket is "good", pork ribs are closer to "average", turkey is "excellent".  Spicy chop sammiches are outstanding alternatives to generic fast food.  Breakfast tacos are tasty.  That's all I got, I avoid wasting time on sides.

The smoked 1/2 chicken is pretty good.
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Flying into DFW at 1030 am and driving to East Texas afterward. How’s the line at Hurtado these days? Want to get some great brisket without a long wait yet have it somewhat case to DFW and heading east on 20. Sunbird in Longview will be closed when I’m in town #sadface

I hope you are flying in Wednesday or later since they are closed Monday and Tuesday.  If you are there by 10:30 the line is usually less than 30 minutes, plus you can order online and pick up to avoid it.

7 minutes ago, pch said:

I hope you are flying in Wednesday or later since they are closed Monday and Tuesday.  If you are there by 10:30 the line is usually less than 30 minutes, plus you can order online and pick up to avoid it.

It’ll be a Thursday so all good there. Ordering online works unless the flight is delayed - blah. 

Just want to avoid lines.  Not too picky since I’m coming from Pennsylvania which has never seen a decent brisket. 

It’ll be a Thursday so all good there. Ordering online works unless the flight is delayed - blah. 
Just want to avoid lines.  Not too picky since I’m coming from Pennsylvania which has never seen a decent brisket. 

If for some reason the line is crazy head over to nearby 225 or due east to Grand Prairie to Zavalas. Both are very good. Or go to Slow Bone in Dallas just north of 30. Excellent brisket and killer fried chicken.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

If you are in East Texas on Thursday, go to Bodacious in Hallsville and try their pork steak. Magnificent. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

If you are in East Texas on Thursday, go to Bodacious in Hallsville and try their pork steak. Magnificent. 

If I’m going out there I’ll be at Wright on Tacos. Sunbird will be closed when I’m in town for a benefit hog cook in NOLA, sadly. 

Sidenote: Brian is going to be opening a storefront soon in place of the current trailer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Same location?

if i was in Longview I would go look at the photo with a key he posted to see if it is there or not. looks like wherever it is, it is likely with his current partners who own some property around Longview.

Can't say it enough, but Bryan is good people.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/17/2022 at 3:22 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

For you Houston folks, how is the line on a Saturday at J Bar M?  Better, worse, or about the same as Truth?

Went on a Saturday a couple weeks ago around noon expecting a little bit of a line.  It was a beautiful day, so we sat outside.

No line to speak of and definitely nothing like Truth.

It's a huge place.

On 2/19/2022 at 10:03 AM, Brisketexan said:
Here’s where I give a shout out to Plateau Brewing in San Angelo. A good friend is an owner, and they have Southern Smoke BBQ there Thursday-Sunday.

Stopped at Southern Smoke BBQ in San Angelo yesterday afternoon on the way back from Midland.  It's located in the back of Plateau Brewing which looked like a pretty cool place to hang out and drink a beer.
Got a half pound of moist brisket, half pound of cheesy jalapeno sausage, and cole slaw.  Brisket was well seasoned with a nice bark.  Sausage was unlike most jalapeno/cheese sausages - no chunks of cheese or jalapeno, everything was ground.  Flavor was good and skin had a nice snap.  Slaw was good.  They were very generous with the slicing.  I'm going to guess that was close to 3/4 pound of brisket based upon the thickness of the slices.
I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of barbecue.  Would recommend if you find yourself in the Concho Valley and are looking for lunch.

b388e4b2436fcac21024304b4c709a9a.jpg4ed39efd794390f9d234974590a328e1.jpg

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Stopped at Southern Smoke BBQ in San Angelo yesterday afternoon on the way back from Midland.  It's located in the back of Plateau Brewing which looked like a pretty cool place to hang out and drink a beer.
Got a half pound of moist brisket, half pound of cheesy jalapeno sausage, and cole slaw.  Brisket was well seasoned with a nice bark.  Sausage was unlike most jalapeno/cheese sausages - no chunks of cheese or jalapeno, everything was ground.  Flavor was good and skin had a nice snap.  Slaw was good.  They were very generous with the slicing.  I'm going to guess that was close to 3/4 pound of brisket based upon the thickness of the slices.
I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of barbecue.  Would recommend if you find yourself in the Concho Valley and are looking for lunch.

b388e4b2436fcac21024304b4c709a9a.jpg4ed39efd794390f9d234974590a328e1.jpg

I drive through San Angelo on my way back from the lease.  I'll have to give this a shot next time.  Thanks for the rec.