NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Just turned on the Lakers at Phoenix, 22-48, at the end of the first quarter.

From the little bit I saw the Lakers just look defeated and are in danger of dropping to the 10th spot in the West.

The lead got up to 35 well into the 4th qtr until they finally called off the dogs. The Lakers are a complete dumpster fire 

9 hours ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

The lead got up to 35 well into the 4th qtr until they finally called off the dogs. The Lakers are a complete dumpster fire 

The Suns were 58/102 from the field. That's crazy. They took 21 shots more than the Lakers. The Lakers took 40 3s. The Suns had 76 points in the paint.

I confess that as a little boy I was a Lakers fan because Norm Nixon played here at Duquesne and then was drafted by the Lakers. And then of course Magic came a couple years later. I just can't think of a worse Lakers roster in my lifetime.

Carmelo, 37, - $1,669,178

Ariza, 36, - $1,667,718

Augustin, 34, - $393,312

Ellington, 34, - $1,669,718

Howard, 36, - $1,669,718

Bron Bron, 37, - $41,180,544

Westbrook, 33, - $44,211,146

• Hook 'Em 1

The Suns were 58/102 from the field. That's crazy. They took 21 shots more than the Lakers. The Lakers took 40 3s. The Suns had 76 points in the paint.

I confess that as a little boy I was a Lakers fan because Norm Nixon played here at Duquesne and then was drafted by the Lakers. And then of course Magic came a couple years later. I just can't think of a worse Lakers roster in my lifetime.

Carmelo, 37, - $1,669,178

Ariza, 36, - $1,667,718

Augustin, 34, - $393,312

Ellington, 34, - $1,669,718

Howard, 36, - $1,669,718

Bron Bron, 37, - $41,180,544

Westbrook, 33, - $44,211,146

So, I decided to see what is the record for most shots in one game, by a team, and the numbers are staggering.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/most-fga-for-a-team-in-a-game

For an individual player, also staggering.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/most-fga-in-a-game

So this is interesting- picked this up on listening to Bill Simmons and Ryen Russilo last night on their podcast.

KD takes the 2nd worst quality of shots in the entire league. Basically, the better you are the worse your quality of shot- b/c you are responsible for trying to get up a shot late in the clock when everything breaks down, and also because you have people constantly double teaming you and nobody ever leaves you.  Even with that his scoring efficiency is just off the charts compared to his expected scoring based upon the metrics.  He's otherworldly (duh).

The guy who takes the easiest shots in the NBA?  Russell Westbrook.  Because nobody bothers to guard him.  And he underperforms even taking the easiest shots.  

I wonder how many titles Sam "the real MVP" Presti cost KD in OKC by shackling him to that bum ass Westbrick?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

So, I decided to see what is the record for most shots in one game, by a team, and the numbers are staggering.

In the game with the most shots it was the Philadelphia Warriors with 153 in a 3OT game against the Lakers.

Wilt Chamberlain scored 78 points on 31/62 FG and 16/31 FT. Elgin Baylor scored 63 points, 23/55 FG & 17/24 FT. Jerry West added 32 points in the 151-147 Lakers victory.

The most shots by a player was Chamberlain with 36/63 FG the night in 1962 he scored 100 points in Hershey against the Knicks. He also shot 28/32 FT.

Almost all those instances were in the 50s/60s.   They played at a ridiculous pace back then and generally shot horrible percentages.

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I wonder how many titles Sam "the real MVP" Presti cost KD in OKC by shackling him to that bum ass Westbrick?

Not sure if serious but I would not call Westbrook a bum during his OKC period. Hell if you want to talk about costing KD a title. I'd say Harden's awful finals performance was more detrimental than anything Westbrook did. KD certainly fell in Presti's lap but drafting Westbrook and Harden are not causes for insult IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Not sure if serious but I would not call Westbrook a bum during his OKC period. Hell if you want to talk about costing KD a title. I'd say Harden's awful finals performance was more detrimental than anything Westbrook did. KD certainly fell in Presti's lap but drafting Westbrook and Harden are not causes for insult IMO.

Westbrook should have been the one traded. He didn’t understand he wasn’t as good as KD which was an issue throughout their time together imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Westbrook reminds me of a great Scipiotex line about Mike Leach- “an elephant is a wondrous animal, but I wouldn’t want to own one”. 

He has a great motor, is incredibly competitive, is a phenomenal and explosive athlete, and a charismatic locker leader. He is also blind to the holes in his game and has a disproportionate regard for his own ability. 

Presti committed the original sin, when he converted the UCLA SG to an NBA PG, all because he considered him too short to reach his potential in the NBA as a SG (he was wrong- he should have been a combi-guard, where at worst he would still be better than Jason Terry and at best rival Dwyane Wade). This is the wrong guy to hand an offense (with actual scoring threats) to. 

Presti committed the second sin when he, determined to build a 1-5 position team in the tradition of the NBA’s last 30 years, let Harden go so he could afford to keep his crappy center. 

Westbrook’s flaws are amplified by playing PG in the playoffs, where his desire to take the games over himself wasted the talents of Harden and Durant. These comments get challenged on this site, because it has so many OKC fans (that live in OKC), and OKC fans love Russ, BECAUSE HE WAS LOYAL TO OKC WHILE KD WASN’T…(and if they could just sign Blake🙏)…

You only have to check the NBA playoff “per 32 minutes” stats to see what was happening- Russ was shooting more often than KD, and hitting less. Subjectively, you could see playoff opponent coaches getting torqued about KD getting a good luck and not caring a bit about Russ taking shots. 
One more thing- in the 2016 MVP voting, who do you think got more votes, Russ or KD? That’s all you need to know to tell whose team the Thunder actually were, never mind who got the blame. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Westbrook is 11th all time in NBA assists. He is 5th all time in turnovers. 

He is 102 all time in NBA three pointers made. He is 55th all time in three pointers attempted. (He has played 1,009 games and attempted 850 fewer threes than KD has tried in 925 games). 

If you look up the playoff versions of those stats, it gets worse  

Self awareness isn’t his strength. I really thought LeBron would be able to guide him into a play style that leveraged his strengths (and there are some) and minimized his weaknesses, but it hasn’t worked out. He still plays like he believes he’s some kind of mash up of Kobe and Jordan. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So this is interesting- picked this up on listening to Bill Simmons and Ryen Russilo last night on their podcast.

KD takes the 2nd worst quality of shots in the entire league. Basically, the better you are the worse your quality of shot- b/c you are responsible for trying to get up a shot late in the clock when everything breaks down, and also because you have people constantly double teaming you and nobody ever leaves you.  Even with that his scoring efficiency is just off the charts compared to his expected scoring based upon the metrics.  He's otherworldly (duh).

The guy who takes the easiest shots in the NBA?  Russell Westbrook.  Because nobody bothers to guard him.  And he underperforms even taking the easiest shots.  

This is something that is underrated.  Everyone obsesses about the Harden trade but Harden was never going to stay at that point and no one knew his upside.  Also, Presti's goal at the time was to build a team that could beat the Lakers who almost always have a dominant big man/center.  That's a fair position for Presti to take at the time.  As a result, he prioritized signing Ibaka.

The fair and underrated criticism was not trading Westbrook for a more traditional PG.  Not sure who that would have been at the time but had he done that and kept Harden then that's likely a championship team for years to come.  Hindsight is 20/20, though.

I like Russ as much as anyone but the comments about his self awareness are spot on.  Dude is completely blind.

And let's be honest about it, he dresses like an asshole. I generally don't care what other people wear, but some of the garb he wore was ridiculous 
I personally think that is part of his problem. It sounds ridiculous until you remember how sensitive/self conscious he is.

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

The next  time Rudy Gobert sets a legal screen will be the first time. He's just out there flaunting the rules of the game on every possession.

The NBA not enforcing moving screens aside, I thought he had a nice game. Mitchell was atrocious down the stretch.

So the Lakers followed up giving up the most points in the first quarter in franchise history (48) by scoring the fewest points in the first quarter in franchise history (12) the very next game. 

I mean that's actually incredible. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Minnesota's got themselves an intriguing little team there and just 1.5 games back of the 6 seed.  [mention=37]MNLonghornFUKM[/mention]

It’s been pretty fun to watch. Been 17 years(except for Jimmy butlers one year) where I look forward to wolves games at night. Chris finch is a great coach. And we’re pretty loaded offensively.

And kat has quit his whining bullshit so he’s infinitely more likable to the avg nba fan

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The NBA not enforcing moving screens aside, I thought he had a nice game. Mitchell was atrocious down the stretch.

I agree he played an overall nice game, but to see him moving on every single screen in a game where they actually called a travel was crazy. And I know he's not getting special treatment. Just an aspect of the NBA game that sucks due to selective enforcement.

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

So the Lakers followed up giving up the most points in the first quarter in franchise history (48) by scoring the fewest points in the first quarter in franchise history (12) the very next game. 

You really have to stand and admire it in awe. It’s like high level avant- garde  performance art. So transgressive! Shocking!  Disturbing. Beautiful in its unflinching look at the modern condition. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

At this point just let it burn.  I almost want us to miss the playoffs all together.  Not sure there's a solution, but I think it's clear this isn't going to work.  Both LBJ and AD need to be in play this offseason.  Unfortunately we may be selling AD at the dip.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

At this point just let it burn.  I almost want us to miss the playoffs all together.  Not sure there's a solution, but I think it's clear this isn't going to work.  Both LBJ and AD need to be in play this offseason.  Unfortunately we may be selling AD at the dip.

Of course you want to miss the playoffs. Those draft picks 😋

• Haha 1