Oregon Unveils New Practice Facility

BurntOrange&White

That's when it was being finished.  It looks so much worse now.  The bubble itself is filthy.  The brick foundation is crumbling and drenched in mold.  The landscaping all went to shit.  And the side by IH-35 is just CO poisoning waiting to happen. 

I think that's eventually gonna become housing, parking, and a few ancillary academic buildings/physical plant/ops/etc.  And they're gonna move into a bigger, bolder practice facility well East of IH-35.  They already take busses from Moncrief over there anyway, what's another 3 minute ride on said bus?  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That's when it was being finished.  It looks so much worse now.  The bubble itself is filthy.  The brick foundation is crumbling and drenched in mold.  The landscaping all went to shit.  And the side by IH-35 is just CO poisoning waiting to happen. 

I think that's eventually gonna become housing, parking, and a few ancillary academic buildings/physical plant/ops/etc.  And they're gonna move into a bigger, bolder practice facility well East of IH-35.  They already take busses from Moncrief over there anyway, what's another 3 minute ride on said bus?  

Do you know what happened to the plan for grad school housing behind the softball field and the redesign of the Comal St area  ?   Questioned the need.   The plan was presented about 3-4 years ago.

7 minutes ago, torre said:

Do you know what happened to the plan for grad school housing behind the softball field and the redesign of the Comal St area  ?   Questioned the need.   The plan was presented about 3-4 years ago.

That’s still the plan.

https://news.utexas.edu/2021/10/12/ut-austin-adds-student-housing-options-to-increase-campus-access-affordability/

The acquisition comes on the heels of authorization in August from the University of Texas System Board of Regents to build new graduate student housing in UT Austin’s East Campus area between Comal Street, East 21st Street, Leona Street, and south of Manor Road. The university plans to add about 780 beds in this area.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

24 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

They have a hell of a long way to go to catch up to this…

image.jpeg.15b0ade9e259b414e940b9d93b0c9a35.jpeg

Was good enough to build a national championship winning team. 

Doesn't matter. Build a winning program.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well the bar has been set now:

Looks really nice but not in a good way. It reminds me of the luxury hotel Rocky trained at in Rocky III. Our guys need to be in an abandoned warehouse working out like Clubber Lang so they can get the Eye of the Tiger.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Phil Knight can afford real engineers. 

If he can afford real engineers, what's with all the 7 year olds in Vietnam making his shoes?  

And yes, First Time Caller...I agree...those facilities were once considered state-of-the-art and gave us a great decade of winning from 2000-09.  However, everything is woefully outdated over there, and kind of an eye sore actually.  Recruits want to be around cool shit.  I disagree, I think it's about dedication and sacrifice...but I'm old and slow.  These guys are the future and they want facilities that reflect the future.  Basketball has it.  Baseball just some more of it. The SEZ/Moncrief re-do of indoor training areas helped a lot.  But the outdoor facilities are a joke.  And seriously, get out of the car and walk around them...It's fucking filthy and smells like an old camping tent.  

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Was good enough to build a national championship winning team. 

Doesn't matter. Build a winning program.

Exactly. We spent like $10 million on a football locker room that everyone couldnt stop beating off about, and we still get our ass kicked on a regular basis by teams having to struggle with locker rooms that are, gasp, 10 or 15 yrs old.

50 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

They have a hell of a long way to go to catch up to this…

image.jpeg.15b0ade9e259b414e940b9d93b0c9a35.jpeg

Every time I see that on I-35 I just don't get it, what are you guys doing with all that fucking money? You've been number 1 in revenue by a ton for a long time. Why is this thing still there?

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If he can afford real engineers, what's with all the 7 year olds in Vietnam making his shoes?  

And yes, First Time Caller...I agree...those facilities were once considered state-of-the-art and gave us a great decade of winning from 2000-09.  However, everything is woefully outdated over there, and kind of an eye sore actually.  Recruits want to be around cool shit.  I disagree, I think it's about dedication and sacrifice...but I'm old and slow.  These guys are the future and they want facilities that reflect the future.  Basketball has it.  Baseball just some more of it. The SEZ/Moncrief re-do of indoor training areas helped a lot.  But the outdoor facilities are a joke.  And seriously, get out of the car and walk around them...It's fucking filthy and smells like an old camping tent.  

Then 2016 Kansas must have had the best facilities ever. Maryland must just have a crazy good indoor facility. Iowa State I hear has a football facility that makes UT blush.

Look, you aren't wrong. Bringing in talent does mean having nice facilities. But we've put way too much focus on shiny objects and window dressing instead of building a winning program.

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Then 2016 Kansas must have had the best facilities ever. Maryland must just have a crazy good indoor facility. Iowa State I hear has a football facility that makes UT blush.

Look, you aren't wrong. Bringing in talent does mean having nice facilities. But we've put way too much focus on shiny objects and window dressing instead of building a winning program.

Dude Bama wins national championships out of the ass and they are constantly among the best facilities in the country. Facilities matter, plain and simple. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Dude Bama wins national championships out of the ass and they are constantly among the best facilities in the country. Facilities matter, plain and simple. 

Saban can take your’n bubble and beat his’n palace, or he can take his’n palace and beat your’n bubble. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The delicate balance between "'cruits like shiny new things" and "all of our players our soft, pampered pussies" is a fun one.

• Hook 'Em 3

Interesting that theirs is built to practice out of the rain while ours is built to escape the sun.

The bubble is ugly. I seriously doubt we lose a recruit due to it. It's not up to UT standards, but I don't think we need to create a palace.

I really don't like that a major highway loaded with 18 wheelers runs beside and through campus. Oh well.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Where would we even build a new practice facility? On top of the cemetery? Our program is dead already.

spacer.png

You son of a b*tch. You moved the cemetery, but you left the bodies, didn't you? You son of a b*tch, you left the bodies and you only moved the head stones. You only moved the head stones. Why? Why?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

The practice fields and bubble could very well be asphalt in 4 years.  The Capital Express I-35 expansion is supposed to run right through it, or at least close enough to sack it.

https://my35capex.com/projects/i-35-capital-express-central/

That expansion is going to make traffic sooooooooooo much worse.

58 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Every time I see that on I-35 I just don't get it, what are you guys doing with all that fucking money? You've been number 1 in revenue by a ton for a long time. Why is this thing still there?

Dude. Winning is fucking overrated, our priorities are Bevo Blvd. 

"Has he seen the ferris wheel?"

"Dad, he doesn't need to see the ferris wheel." 

"He's gonna see the ferris wheel!"  /delCostanza

Edited by Lobo

19 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

spacer.png

You son of a b*tch. You moved the cemetery, but you left the bodies, didn't you? You son of a b*tch, you left the bodies and you only moved the head stones. You only moved the head stones. Why? Why?

You must be a genius as I immediately thought of this as well, but was too lazy to post. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Oregon needs a new stadium more than a new practice facility.

I walked around campus a few summers ago, mainly to see the track facility.  When I went over to the football/baseball fields, their current practice facility wasnt exactly in shambles.  It was really nice. 

2 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

The practice fields and bubble could very well be asphalt in 4 years.  The Capital Express I-35 expansion is supposed to run right through it, or at least close enough to sack it.

https://my35capex.com/projects/i-35-capital-express-central/

If you look at the remaining plans alternative 2&3 neither option is touching the practice fields.  Not saying that’s final but I would pump the brakes on thinking it’s going to get absorbed by i35.

5 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

If you look at the remaining plans alternative 2&3 neither option is touching the practice fields.  Not saying that’s final but I would pump the brakes on thinking it’s going to get absorbed by i35.

So, we're going to dodge workers and machines on the practice field?  I think UT recognizes the practice field / bubble arrangement is untenable in the short and long term, and is looking to use the Capital Express project to drive the long term solution.  Some shit is going to need to be relocated on campus, it's just going to take a year or so to figure out what.

Really we all need to change what “campus” is, to include a bunch of shit East of 35.  

hell, take 35 underground from about 46th down to as close to the river as you can, then you get back the surface for the university and eastern growth can happen without an interstate Highway going thru it.