Things Not Going Well for Alec Baldwin

ousuxndallas

20 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Pretty fair, Onboard. His screaming at his daughter and supposedly his behavior towards Kim Bassinger are very dark marks against him. Still, those aren't the only marks beside his name. 

He's a wonderful talent who has improved every year. I'm rewatching 30 Rock. He and Tina Fey are brilliant as is the whole show for the most part.

Oh yeah, throw in being a douche to Kim Basinger, and he's a double dick.  

Once you're a dick to your kids though, you're a dick for life, but like I said I've always dug his acting. I mean he was Jack Ryan in the best Clancy book to movie adaptation.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Pretty fair, Onboard. His screaming at his daughter and supposedly his behavior towards Kim Bassinger are very dark marks against him. Still, those aren't the only marks beside his name. 

He's a wonderful talent who has improved every year. I'm rewatching 30 Rock. He and Tina Fey are brilliant as is the whole show for the most part.

He’s also an actor, not a legislator, not a politician, not a president.  His effect on anyone’s life is negligible unless they let it be. Why on earth we are discussing him in a political forum is perplexing.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Alec Baldwin in tragic movie-set mistake:  1000 posts on firearms safety

Another senseless U.S. school shooting with multiple fatalities:  There's really nothing we can do

17 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh yeah, throw in being a douche to Kim Basinger, and he's a double dick.  

Once you're a dick to your kids though, you're a dick for life, but like I said I've always dug his acting. I mean he was Jack Ryan in the best Clancy book to movie adaptation.

Spoken like a guy who never had kids.    Name me a perfect parent, and I'll find you a perfect liar.  

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Spoken like a guy who never had kids.    Name me a perfect parent, and I'll find you a perfect liar.  

It was spoken like a guy who has 2 children, and if Baldwin's leaving those kind of messages on a voicemail, how is he treating her in person ? 

I’ll put my parenting skills up against anybody on this forum sparky.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Alec Baldwin in tragic movie-set mistake:  1000 posts on firearms safety

Another senseless U.S. school shooting with multiple fatalities:  There's really nothing we can do

Maybe if Alec Baldwin shot up a school?

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I haven't read this thread, but am amused that it is somehow in the CR.

Amused but not surprised. The 3rd rail is always within reach. If you can think of something, it can be politicized. Mask wearing, movie set shootings, taking a shit…everything is viewed through that lense by the stokers of division and their minion.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/2/2021 at 10:35 AM, burntorangebongos said:

His gun was a single action revolver or a replica of one. They can fire without the hammer being cocked or the trigger being pulled if a strong enough jolt causes the pin to strike the rounds primer with enough force to set it off. That is why the "cowboy load" was used. That is leaving the chamber underneath the hammer empty so a hard jolt wouldn't set off a round unintentionally. But practicing a cross draw would be unlikely to cause that, I would think. Unless the gun was real defective. It's intent was to use with blanks or dummy rounds so I don't know if the defect would matter in a prop gun. This just makes it more tragic that there was a live round in it. This poor lady really had her number called.

You might also consider that during the draw the hammer was moved back or partially cocked or maybe he attempted to decock the gun and it discharged.  You are correct just the draw alone wouldn't be enough to discharge if it was in proper working order and absolutely not if the cylinder was left empty.   Where Anastasis is limited is there is a time component to working through trauma, time to reflect, and then accept how the facts that you recall might not be accurate because of your own internal bias revulsion at the knowledge of your actions taking another's life even if there was zero intent.   He will have good days and bad days.  Days where he appears normal and ok and days where he likely doesn't take care of himself, brush his teeth or hair and lives mechanically.   If you snapshoot on those good days, as our resident idiots have, then it is easy to form a simp's opinion.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/3/2021 at 12:26 PM, Nivek said:

He will have good days and bad days.  Days where he appears normal and ok and days where he likely doesn't take care of himself, brush his teeth or hair and lives mechanically.   If you snapshoot on those good days, as our resident idiots have, then it is easy to form a simp's opinion.  

Exactly. This is what I mean by the human aspect of this story.

I was in ninth grade when I went to the funeral of my largely estranged grandfather. It was my first funeral. I was shocked that people could be so quiet and somber in the viewing room and then be talking and laughing out on the sidewalk.

I grew up. I learned that there is no script for emotions other than the cornball ones we're exposed to on TV where people never get over the death of a loved one and can never really live again. That's horseshit that just makes everybody feel bad when they can't replicate that false level of eternal mourning.

I had a good friend commit suicide when I was about 27. He was buried in a remote town in the wastes around Wichita Falls. The drive there and back with friends and the evening spent eating and drinking and talking after returning to Austin was a rollercoaster. Periods of quiet pain. Periods of ribald humor and crazy laughing. My lesson on tragic emotional response was complete.

A year later, one of this group of friends mentioned that it felt like we should do something: maybe reach out to his parents. I answered that there must be an appropirate Ziggy card for the occasion. Such wicked, cross-cutting laughter we shared. All the emotions, top to bottom, roiling in guilty pleasure of that shared moment.

Baldwin came across fine in the interview. We've seen his grief from photos snapped in Arizona.

If you're in it for the hate, fuck you. If you think this is appropriate political discussion, you reveal yourself as a piece of shit. 

We can all abandon civility and mere tolerance. It would be a shame if we all did.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Amused but not surprised. The 3rd rail is always within reach. If you can think of something, it can be politicized. Mask wearing, movie set shootings, taking a shit…everything is viewed through that lense by the stokers of division and their minion.

That's because those heathen liberals on the LEFT COAST have started using bidets like they're French or something. Here in Real America, we use toilet paper to wipe our asses just like God and the Founding Fathers intended!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It was spoken like a guy who has 2 children, and if Baldwin's leaving those kind of messages on a voicemail, how is he treating her in person ? 

I’ll put my parenting skills up against anybody on this forum sparky.

Of course YOU would.  And way to miss the point Dr. Spock.

Edited by Nivek

Exactly. This is what I mean by the human aspect of this story.
I was in ninth grade when I went to the funeral of my largely estranged grandfather. It was my first funeral. I was shocked that people could be so quiet and somber in the viewing room and then be talking and laughing out on the sidewalk.
I grew up. I learned that there is no script for emotions other than the cornball ones we're exposed to on TV where people never get over the death of a loved one and can never really live again. That's horseshit that just makes everybody feel bad when they can't replicate that false level of eternal mourning.
I had a good friend commit suicide when I was about 27. He was buried in a remote town in the wastes around Wichita Falls. The driver there and back with friends and the evening spent eating and drinking and talking after returning to Austin was a rollercoaster. Periods of quiet pain. Periods of ribald humor and crazy laughing. My lesson on tragic emotional response was complete.
A year later, one of this group of friends mentioned that it felt like we should do something: maybe reach out to his parents. I answered that there must be an appropirate Ziggy card for the occasion. Such wicked, cross-cutting laughter we shared. All the emotions, top to bottom, roiling in guilty pleasure of that shared moment.
Baldwin came across fine in the interview. We've seen his grief from photos snapped in Arizona.
If you're in it for the hate, fuck you. If you think this is appropriate political discussion, you reveal yourself as a piece of shit. 
We can all abandon civility and mere tolerance. It would be a shame if we all did.

Too late. They’re not just abandoned - the abandonment is celebrated and glorified.

Remember the rules: it only gets worse, and there is no bottom.

Not abandoned by everybody. Yet. 

Otherwise, as usual, I concur with your observations. 

Our mythology drenched with simplism and violence, the insecure adolescent posture of so many Americans, the culture of the white man, and, maybe most importantly, this country's shoulder-shattering pathological self-congratulation twist together to form the national auto-garrote. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And your point please ?  Without the mind meld angle please.

The point is that parents make mistakes, but any snapshot in time is not a representative moment of the whole.  I know you understand this as well.  Which is why I think you are being dishonest here.   

Edited by Nivek

48 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The point is that parents make mistakes, but any snapshot in time is not a representative moment of the whole.  I know you understand this as well.  Which is why I think you are being dishonest here.   

Sure no parent is perfect. I've had bad days with my kids where tempers flare, and you yell, come down harder than you should have, or ground them for eternity.

I stated what we heard on the voicemail to his daughter was probably the tip of the iceberg.  At the time of that voicemail I'm pretty sure it was reported that he had other incidents with his kids.  Have you ever heard that voicemail ?  Any mother or father that leaves that message for a child should be paid a visit by a social services worker.

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Not abandoned by everybody. Yet. 

Otherwise, as usual, I concur with your observations. 

Our mythology drenched with simplism and violence, the insecure adolescent posture of so many Americans, the culture of the white man, and, maybe most importantly, this country's shoulder-shattering pathological self-congratulation twist together to form the national auto-garrote. 

Nothin wrong with you that a good ass-kickin wouldn't cure, bwah.

On 12/3/2021 at 12:26 PM, Nivek said:

Where Anastasis is limited is there is a time component to working through trauma, time to reflect, and then accept how the facts that you recall might not be accurate because of your own internal bias revulsion at the knowledge of your actions taking another's life even if there was zero intent. 

It's a real shame that he was forced to sit and give an interview to George Stephanopoulos for national TV while he was in this particularly fragile head space. Too bad he didn't have resources and access to reasonable people like trauma counselors to advise him. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

It's a real shame that he was forced to sit and give an interview to George Stephanopoulos for national TV while he was in this particularly fragile head space. Too bad he didn't have resources and access to reasonable people like trauma counselors to advise him. 

Yes, because public figures and celebrities are always treated with respect by media members and granted privacy upon request.  I mean it is not like they have ever hounded and created a situation where people have died.   And add to that the rational judgement of people traumatized, I am sure you would be hard pressed to find celebrities acting poorly as a result of mental challenges (temporary or otherwise).   At some point you should just concede.   

Edited by Nivek

On 12/2/2021 at 7:52 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

He’s also an actor, not a legislator, not a politician, not a president.  His effect on anyone’s life is negligible unless they let it be. Why on earth we are discussing him in a political forum is perplexing.  

Well he did a mean impersonation of Trump and obviously leans politically left. So the fact that he is a total narcissist dickhead who's negligence probably got someone kilt is something he should be ashamed of, not something he should lean into and be proud of. Or something.

Edited by Pam Cummings

On 12/2/2021 at 10:35 AM, burntorangebongos said:

His gun was a single action revolver or a replica of one. They can fire without the hammer being cocked or the trigger being pulled if a strong enough jolt causes the pin to strike the rounds primer with enough force to set it off. That is why the "cowboy load" was used. That is leaving the chamber underneath the hammer empty so a hard jolt wouldn't set off a round unintentionally. But practicing a cross draw would be unlikely to cause that, I would think. Unless the gun was real defective. It's intent was to use with blanks or dummy rounds so I don't know if the defect would matter in a prop gun. This just makes it more tragic that there was a live round in it. This poor lady really had her number called.

I have heard that it was a Pietta replica, but who knows how valid that is. Most modern replicas have a transfer bar safety that makes it pretty much impossible for the round under the hammer to fire unless the trigger is depressed, but they do make the old fashioned style that you mentioned as well. Without knowing precisely which one it was there is no way to know. You can see both in movies, the ones with the transfer bar safety will have a flat face on the hammer, the ones without will have a firing pin on the hammer. Here's a picture for reference. Both made by Pietta.

spacer.png

But regardless, when doing a fast draw, you cock the gun at the same time as you are drawing it, which indexes the next round. There's a decent chance he had the trigger pulled the whole time and when he let go of the hammer it fell on the live round. The ability to hold the trigger down while pulling the hammer back and releasing it is what allows the SAA to be "fanned," which is bad for the gun and not a particularly good idea in a gunfight, but hollywood likes to do it because it looks cool.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/2/2021 at 7:52 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’ll spell it out:

In 1998, Baldwin made an appearance on Conan.

https://grabien.com/story.php?id=321377

Of course the right wingers, being the intellectually stunted lot that they are, took this literally (does anyone seriously think a late night talk show host really keeps a fucking miniature oxygen mask under his desk?) and they’ve had a hard on for Alec Baldwin ever since.

Okay, so if Baldwin is to be believed and the gun was NOT defective, then he didn't "pull" the trigger because he had it depressed the whole time while he practiced the cross draw which requires you to cock the hammer as you draw. We know that he did cock the hammer because he said he did. Then not pulling the trigger is irrelevant. 

I think he is believing the gun was defective and the hammer dropped and set off the live round without the trigger. I'm sure law enforcement can determine that easily. I don't see the benefit of him parsing the difference between having the trigger depressed the whole time and "pulling" the trigger.  I am curious as to what the truth is about this weapon. 

12 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Okay, so if Baldwin is to be believed and the gun was NOT defective, then he didn't "pull" the trigger because he had it depressed the whole time while he practiced the cross draw which requires you to cock the hammer as you draw. We know that he did cock the hammer because he said he did. Then not pulling the trigger is irrelevant. 

I think he is believing the gun was defective and the hammer dropped and set off the live round without the trigger. I'm sure law enforcement can determine that easily. I don't see the benefit of him parsing the difference between having the trigger depressed the whole time and "pulling" the trigger.  I am curious as to what the truth is about this weapon. 

Yeah but Baldwin is claiming his finger wasn't inside the trigger guard at all, but along side it, parallel to the barrel. Pretty hard to believe considering that the trigger HAS to be pulled for a SAA revolver to fire, and if his finger was it the position he is claiming, it would've had the shit burned out of it

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/02/1060818520/alec-baldwin-rust-set-shooting-abc-interview

The attorney for Dave Halls, Rust's assistant director, told the show that Halls has also maintained that Baldwin didn't pull the trigger. Lawyer Lisa Torraco said her client, speaking about Baldwin, told her: "His finger was never in the trigger guard."

I have heard that it was a Pietta replica, but who knows how valid that is. Most modern replicas have a transfer bar safety that makes it pretty much impossible for the round under the hammer to fire unless the trigger is depressed, but they do make the old fashioned style that you mentioned as well. Without knowing precisely which one it was there is no way to know. You can see both in movies, the ones with the transfer bar safety will have a flat face on the hammer, the ones without will have a firing pin on the hammer. Here's a picture for reference. Both made by Pietta.
AUwJb7iS_o.jpg
But regardless, when doing a fast draw, you cock the gun at the same time as you are drawing it, which indexes the next round. There's a decent chance he had the trigger pulled the whole time and when he let go of the hammer it fell on the live round. The ability to hold the trigger down while pulling the hammer back and releasing it is what allows the SAA to be "fanned," which is bad for the gun and not a particularly good idea in a gunfight, but hollywood likes to do it because it looks cool.

You fan the gun to increase the rate of fire. If this is what you mean by fanning, using your offhand to pull back the hammer. Hell, If we are going to be particular, shooting a gun is not good for the gun.

If you are referring to spinning the cylinder to make noise then yeah. That is silly and useless unless you are playing Russian roulette and if you do that, I doubt you are very concerned with the long term integrity of the revolver.

Interesting how Alec Baldwin became someone's pet narcissist to white knight. 

Umm being a human and having empathy is not white-knighting, but I can see how you could be confused by this considering you seem somewhat limited to binary thought processes.

Whoa, so he is saying the hammer came down without him engaging the trigger and a witness backs him on that?  

So that would mean a defective gun with a firing pin and a live round ended up on this movie set and is handed to an actor who points guns at people during rehearsal without the screen protection by an AD who did not check each round with the armorer before handing it to him, how fucked is that if true? It is like this poor lady was in that movie "Final Destination" where all the things that could go wrong do so that she ends up dead. That is a total mind fuck...I need a beer. 

5 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

So that would mean a defective gun with a firing pin and a live round ended up on this movie set and is handed to an actor who points guns at people during rehearsal without the screen protection by an AD who did not check each round with the armorer before handing it to him, how fucked is that if true?

NM authorities I assume are in possession of the firearm.  It's straightforward to determine if it was operating defectively.  The sheriff has indicated that it is clear the discharge was a result of AB manipulating the weapon. Let's see how it plays out.  I wouldn't bet on the guy with the pre-existing personality disorder, but YMMV. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

You fan the gun to increase the rate of fire. If this is what you mean by fanning, using your offhand to pull back the hammer. Hell, If we are going to be particular, shooting a gun is not good for the gun.

If you are referring to spinning the cylinder to make noise then yeah. That is silly and useless unless you are playing Russian roulette and if you do that, I doubt you are very concerned with the long term integrity of the revolver.

By fanning I meant the former. The same thing that allows you to fan it will also allow the hammer to fall on the next chamber if you try and cock the hammer and release it without realizing that your finger has been pulling the trigger the whole time. 

As to the finger being outside the trigger gaurd the whole time, if he pulled the hammer back, but not far enough to engage the sear and released it, it would typically be retained by the half cock notch. And the old school style with the firing pin  directly on the hammer also has a safety notch that would likely catch it if the half cock notch failed. Both the half cock and the safety notch would have to fail in order to fire without depressing the trigger.

As stated above, they have the gun in their possession and would be easily able to determine if that happened.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/6/2021 at 7:22 AM, Anastasis said:

Interesting how Alec Baldwin became someone's pet narcissist to white knight. 

At some point, the determined focus on Baldwin and it’s political opposite, ignoring the ongoing threat, as well as damage, to our country gets tough to accept. And you just want something to change. It’s be better for our country if we focused on the latter. 

Why do you think there is so much energy spent on the Baldwin negligent tragedy? I’ll hang up and listen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Personally, I'm just interested to see what comes of it. I'm not sure Hollywood's protocols with regards to firearms are adequate, and I'd like to see them change to be more consistent with firearms safety in the rest of the world. Obviously they have to break some rules to make a movie, but the fact that actors just blindly trust that a firearm handed to them is safe seems like one of the main issues here. From what I've heard, it also seems like there isn't a clear visual way to easily distinguish between a dummy round and a live round (I'd love for someone with first hand knowledge to correct me here). That needs to be fixed as well, maybe by painting the entire base of the round bright orange and editing it out in post. Given that most of Hollywood is union, the SAG could easily require all actors who handle firearms in film to take say an eight hour initial course on gun safety with a yearly four hour renewal. That should be plenty adequate to keep them familiar with how to treat a weapon.

29 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

At some point, the determined focus on Baldwin and it’s political opposite, ignoring the ongoing threat, as well as damage, to our country gets tough to accept. And you just want something to change. It’s be better for our country if we focused on the latter. 

Turns out that one of them was actually able to shoot someone in broad daylight and not lose any white knights. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Personally, I'm just interested to see what comes of it. I'm not sure Hollywood's protocols with regards to firearms are adequate, and I'd like to see them change to be more consistent with firearms safety in the rest of the world. Obviously they have to break some rules to make a movie, but the fact that actors just blindly trust that a firearm handed to them is safe seems like one of the main issues here. From what I've heard, it also seems like there isn't a clear visual way to easily distinguish between a dummy round and a live round (I'd love for someone with first hand knowledge to correct me here). That needs to be fixed as well, maybe by painting the entire base of the round bright orange and editing it out in post. Given that most of Hollywood is union, the SAG could easily require all actors who handle firearms in film to take say an eight hour initial course on gun safety with a yearly four hour renewal. That should be plenty adequate to keep them familiar with how to treat a weapon.

Actually, I have a different view.  I think they by and large to a great job considering how few incidents there are and the proliferation of firearms and discharges in movies.  But when they cut corners that is when incidents happen (like Morrow and the kids, and Brandon Lee's passing).  I do agree that they should never have live ammo on set, and use a color coding system and educate all members on what those colors mean.   They might already do these things.  But the human element and the risks we take with safety is something that no series of rules can really eliminate.   

I visit the American Shooting Center in Houston from time to time.   One of their range bosses told me how a guy shot himself and died.  He had a loaded semi-automatic rifle, which had a round chambered, no safety engaged, and he had the rifle placed in the back of his vehicle barrell pointed out and not in a case.  When he went to pull the rifle toward him (yes, barrel pointed at him) it got hung up on something and discharged.    Think about how many things went wrong here.  Any one safety protocol put in place and he doesn't die.   It takes a lot to go wrong/gross negligence for a person to be injured by a firearm.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

A longer barrel single action revolver tends to want to tip forward once the hammer reaches it's break-over point when cocking back with the thumb. It's instinct to want to get a better grip with your fingers when the gun starts to tip forward as the hammer's resistance against your thumb quickly lessens, and someone inexperienced will easily put their finger into the trigger guard to find that extra purchase. Revolver then goes boom.

Right, but AB's account is that he did not touch the trigger and the AD David Hall is backing that claim up. 

So Alex and the AD Hall are either both lying about him not touching the trigger or telling the truth.

If the gun proves to be in working order, then I think Alex and the AD have gotten themselves in hot water by lying about it. It doesn't make sense to do that because the Sherrif's office has the gun and can know the truth and their findings aren't out yet. So why would they lie? Would the gun being defective lessen their culpability?

They both still committed negligence. The AD more so since he did not check each round of this gun. (He admitted to not remembering looking at them all.)  And Alex still pointed it at the lady to show her the way the hammer looked while he drew it even though that is a big no no during rehearsal. The gun needed to be empty or the shield in place.) Lying in this situation seems very risky to me. But I don't know what the legal ramifications for doing so would be. I would think it would affect not only a civil lawsuit but a criminal trial as well, should there be one since they can use these words against him. If he just wants to look more sympathetic to the public, then this is extremely dumb to talk about before the Sherrif's office comes out with the report of their investigation.  

I'm ready for this report already. I now need to know wtf about the gun. And the live round too.Moone Boy Waiting GIF by HULU 

I don't know if I would call it lying really.  It was a traumatic event for all involved, their memory of events should be recorded but viewed with some skepticism and it might not just be some self-serving bullshit, but a cognitive-dissonance, or adrenaline based distortion.   The fish that got away.  

• 2 weeks later...