Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hard to argue with any of that piece. 

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Props to Nahlin... he nailed this article

Had to go read it because I just was going to ignore it because he's been on such a crying jag ... article opens with absolute horseshit. 

OT Donovan Jackson, Bellaire Episcopal: The disappointing season sunk Texas. I feel confident had UT followed up the 2018 campaign with a slightly better 2019 he’d be a Longhorn. Instead he moved up his timeline and committed to the Buckeyes. He had seen enough.

Unequivocally false. Texas could have won the national title last year and this kid would still be a Buckeye. He was NEVER coming to Texas. Ever. 

OT Reuben Fatheree, Richmond Foster: Texas ran hot and cold on this recruitment. I could almost feel them thinking, “are we really going to need this guy? The class is loaded.” Fatheree pulled a surprise and committed to A&M over OU. His dad favored UT initially

This is also horseshit. You can tell when the 9.95er gets his info directly from the recruit or not and in this instance, this is directly from the dad. Look, he's a really engaging affable guy, as is his son. The reason it was hot and cold is because Texas only recruited him in the most cursory way. There simply wasn't huge interest from UT. The same deal played out at Notre Dame. The same deal played out everywhere in terms of his "basketball" recruiting. I'm not hating on the guy, I have mad respect for working hard for your kid, but he didn't ever favor UT. FFS by the time the kid was a FR in HS everyone knew he was going to aggy. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This is also horseshit. You can tell when the 9.95er gets his info directly from the recruit or not and in this instance, this is directly from the dad. Look, he's a really engaging affable guy, as is his son. The reason it was hot and cold is because Texas only recruited him in the most cursory way. There simply wasn't huge interest from UT. The same deal played out at Notre Dame. The same deal played out everywhere in terms of his "basketball" recruiting. I'm not hating on the guy, I have mad respect for working hard for your kid, but he didn't ever favor UT. FFS by the time the kid was a FR in HS everyone knew he was going to aggy. 

I mean...to be fair...you're disagreeing with 5 words and affirming the other 36. 

I'll not dispute your take on Jackson because I honestly don't know, but there was some reporting that Donovan's mom is all fOSU but that his Dad is a Texas fan and we could have oulled that lever.

48 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

including identifying a 1st round OT and a 3 year starter at OT and C in his transition class. 

you wouldn’t consider kerstetter a 4-year starter?  he started half the season when he was a sophomore did he not. 

17 minutes ago, golfclap said:

GTFO with that shit. This class has a bunch of ELITE motherfuckers in it already. Sanders. Bowman. Milroe. Thomas. Harris. Conner. Blackwell. Looking really good for Ibraheem and maybe even Mukuba (who is drastically underrated IMHO). 

Add in a fucking awesome moldable piece of clay like Juan Davis and a ProKick P in Pearson. 

Yes, it's a fucking hot mess at OL and RB. No, I have no idea what will happen at either spot but the core of this class is fucking incredibly talented.

Assume you mean WR, not RB? Brooks (who some people love) + a puncher's chance at Wheaton/Johnson maybe isn't exciting but it seems like an okay place to be for now.

Edited by tokamak
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Someone like @Burt Macklin or @golfclap is going to have to break down the weaknesses in Milroe’s throwing motion and footwork. And yes I know it’s a highlight reel, but damned if every time I see one of his cutups if it doesn’t look dude has really great touch and accuracy on his deep balls. 

@Burt Macklin covered a lot of ground in his summary -- I agree with his assessment that the arm angle, delivery, ball position, follow through, etc ...  is all really good. If you watch the first few throws of that video and then compare them with the later throws, where he has a simulated rush coming for him, you can get a microcosm view of the small things that they will be cleaning up. You can tell that in the early part of the video that he is working on rotating with his upper body. Note that he is focused on lead shoulder and rotation to throwing shoulder - looking out over his finish arm and holding an exaggerated finish. The issue is that during this work, his base (his feet) are way too wide during these reps. It makes it much harder to rotate, his hips, and forces the arm and shoulder to do more work because the legs aren't carrying their share. You want them to be just over shoulder width -- which he does and you can see in the later throws where he gets into "football" mode as opposed to "learning" mode. when his base is underneath him, his rotation is much faster - his hip (and hence lead shoulder) doesn't fly open as early and you can see him really driving the ball. I suspect he doesn't have as much baseball background as a lot of other QBs. The baseball background will help with all of this stuff but it usually creates some footwork issues that Jalen doesn't have. 

He's a badass and he's going to be be so good - he's not going to have any problem cleaning this stuff up. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Assume you mean WR, not RB? Brooks (who some people love) + a puncher's chance at Wheaton/Johnson maybe isn't exciting but it seems like an okay place to be for now.

Golfclap thinks we whiff on Johnson and Wheaton. Have you heard of Stan Drayton? Or Golfclap? Asking for my own amusement. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

David Abiara will be doing a virtual visit this week.

I believe that's a winnable flip, tbh. He loved the Notre Dame academics and culture, a flip to blOU would be antithetical to ND. Texas can position itself in the same way ND did with the advantage of selling close(r) to home. I'm just not sure why you take him right now with Turner still on the table and Thomas in the boat. Well. You take him to stick it to the land thieves, I guess.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

David Abiara will be doing a virtual visit this week.

Ok, I posted about him in the OU thread but someone sell me on this guy, esp. compared to Jonathon Jones. Quoting my earlier post on Abiara ::

I hadn't really paid much attention to him but someone sell me on any interest, other than forcing more work for the Sooner staff, in David Abiara. I watched his HUDLs and expected to see this year's version of NaNa Osafoh-Mensah - instead I see a VERY raw SDE who is the very last guy out of his stance on every single snap. He stands straight up and uses his athleticism to simply chase the play. There's nothing wrong with that as he clearly has his best football ahead of him but he also doesn't possess the innate pass rushing ability that you see in a lot of guys and no tremendous upfield burst. There's not much in the way of development or improvement year-over-year to his JR vids. He looks like a SDE project and he looks well behind Jonathon Jones, despite their respective rankings. Jones looks so much faster and more violent in his clips and has more room to grow into his lower half and put on good weight. I know that Abiara is a really good student and he can clearly play and will improve a ton with some minimal technique but I just don't know, it feels like his ceiling is pretty low.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I believe that's a winnable flip, tbh. He loved the Notre Dame academics and culture, a flip to blOU would be antithetical to ND. Texas can position itself in the same way ND did with the advantage of selling close(r) to home. I'm just not sure why you take him right now with Turner still on the table and Thomas in the boat. Well. You take him to stick it to the land thieves, I guess.

Take em all, fuck it take all the scholarships we had pegged for OL and invest more in the DL

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Whoever it was that posted recently about how dumb it was we hadn't offered any of the good Colorado TEs this cycle, come down and collect your "I was right on the internet" prize.

Damn, this is pretty exciting. I don't know what to say. Do I head over to Treasures to pick it up?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Little late in the cycle to start star chasing...

With the Iowa S&C coach situation and the powder keg that is Nebraska, I think it's not a bad time to throw your hat in that ring. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

GTFO with that shit. This class has a bunch of ELITE motherfuckers in it already. Sanders. Bowman. Milroe. Thomas. Harris. Conner. Blackwell. Looking really good for Ibraheem and maybe even Mukuba (who is drastically underrated IMHO). 

Add in a fucking awesome moldable piece of clay like Juan Davis and a ProKick P in Pearson. 

Yes, it's a fucking hot mess at OL and RB. No, I have no idea what will happen at either spot but the core of this class is fucking incredibly talented. 

Last season was the first time we haven't done this in a fucking decade. It's part of why I am bullish about where we are. Guys that used to not only go on the 2-deep but actually start as FR are getting to RS and develop. 

I love Texas and want the Longhorns to kill it. I just haven't seen it in a long time on a consistent basis. I am tired of seeing OU win Big12 repeatedly, seeing them have Heisman candidates on stage as winners and finalists (albeit transfers), tired of seeing OU OL be high draft picks while Texas players are undrafted or 2nd day picks. If texas missing out on this OL haul after the '20 haul of good but not great OL that is a HUGE miss and a major cause for alarm.

7 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I love Texas and want the Longhorns to kill it. I just haven't seen it in a long time on a consistent basis. I am tired of seeing OU win Big12 repeatedly, seeing them have Heisman candidates on stage as winners and finalists (albeit transfers), tired of seeing OU OL be high draft picks while Texas players are undrafted or 2nd day picks. If texas missing out on this OL haul after the '20 haul of good but not great OL that is a HUGE miss and a major cause for alarm.

Long way to signing day. Have a nap, friend.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We are going to end up with an OL haul of Conner, the interior guy from Wheaton's school and a couple of projects like Leyrer and someone we haven't heard from yet.  This may actually be the worst overall offensive haul we've had.

Maybe Maybe Not Maybe Fuck Yourself GIFs | Tenor

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 3:41 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

was wondering that too after these latest offers to the Gunnar 3* from Colorado and the #1 TE in the nation (247). It says Tharp is a hard commit to Tech but we have been known to flip kids like that. 

btw, which service is it that really likes Gunnar? 247 has him as the 64th TE in the nation but the composite has him as the 25th or something.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

btw, which service is it that really likes Gunnar? 247 has him as the 64th TE in the nation but the composite has him as the 25th or something.

Rvials has him as a 4* -- 5.8 overall. #11 TE in the country/5 in CO

At this point it may be better to assume the Brocks aren’t coming and get other guys committed.  If the season goes well then there’s still a chance the Brocks change their minds.  If the season doesn’t go well then at least we have other guys committed and the Brocks weren’t coming anyway.  At least this way we don’t put all our eggs in the Brock’s basket.  I’m a glass half full type of guy.  

Just now, stork642 said:

At this point it may be better to assume the Brocks aren’t coming and get other guys committed.  If the season goes well then there’s still a chance the Brocks change their minds.  If the season doesn’t go well then at least we have other guys committed and the Brocks weren’t coming anyway.  At least this way we don’t put all our eggs in the Brock’s basket.  I’m a glass half full type of guy.  

Yeah, this is why I'm surprised that compared to DL where an almost perfect class is still a possibility, we haven't seemed to have kicked the tires as much on fallback plans.

• Like 1

Last year's OL was doomed for inconsistency because you had

1. a brand new starter at RG who was RSFr.
  2. a GT from the triple option attack of GT that badly needed a RS at LG
  3. and one of the worst OL on the team at C.

It was a recipe for disaster, and it took a few games before DCs learned how to attack those 3. While I think Hand needs to show improvement both on and off the field, a couple of things should be considered.

1. Texas has developed Cosmi into a potential 1st round pick, while Walker Little is watching his draft status plummet.
  2. Texas has inconsistent play calling for 3 years under the 1st iteration of the offensive coaching staff. This certainly affects the OL play.
  3. The final remnants of the Charlie Strong era will finally have worked their way through the OL after this season 

I will say the few games the team was really healthy they played much better, i.e. LSU and Utah against the best team in college football and another in the Top 15 or so.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Last season was the first time we haven't done this in a fucking decade. It's part of why I am bullish about where we are. Guys that used to not only go on the 2-deep but actually start as FR are getting to RS and develop. 

silicon valley this guy fucks GIF by Team Coco

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, George Clooney said:

I think LSU could be in the lead. Also, I’d never count out Michigan if Sherrone Moore is recruiting the prospect.

Right, my sentiments exactly.

Spending the resources on recruiting big time OOS prospects at this point in the cycle is silly. Regardless of what is going on at soy aggy and corn aggy, those aren't their only offers. By the summer, there should be laser focus on realistic targets that want, nay, beg for the staff's attention. There's not time for creating relationships with the hopes that you'll catch up.

Get Boulware on the phone with Wheaton, Johnson, any offensive player considering blOU, etc. Chasing OOS TEs is a waste of everyone's time.

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Right, my sentiments exactly.

Spending the resources on recruiting big time OOS prospects at this point in the cycle is silly. Regardless of what is going on at soy aggy and corn aggy, those aren't their only offers. By the summer, there should be laser focus on realistic targets that want, nay, beg for the staff's attention. There's not time for creating relationships with the hopes that you'll catch up.

Get Boulware on the phone with Wheaton, Johnson, any offensive player considering blOU, etc. Chasing OOS TEs is a waste of everyone's time.

Well we want another TE, since Landen King $urprised everyone with that Auburn-related decommit, so we might as well throw out some high-end lottery ticket offers and see if anyone bites before settling in-state. It's not like we're three weeks from signing day and every second counts.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If the Horns Win the B12 this season and Bama struggles a little, the Brocks might still end up at Texas...

Bama’s bad season is them losing 1-2 games and not winning a national title. 
Most of us would consider losing 1-2 a great year at this point, so really no way to win the Brocks with “play on the field” unless we win the national title. 

4 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Bama’s bad season is them losing 1-2 games and not winning a national title. 
Most of us would consider losing 1-2 a great year at this point, so really no way to win the Brocks with “play on the field” unless we win the national title. 

I wouldn't say that. We have to show that we can at least provide hope for similar results year-to-year as Bama, while allowing mom and the whole fam to watch their games and cheer for the team they've always cheered for.

• Like 7