Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

29 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

James is the alpha, not Tommy. James will go to Texas and Tommy will follow him with his tail tucked between his legs.

If this turns out to be true, I have a cousin who is a dead ringer for Teri Garr Young Frankenstein era, I will compel her to pleasure you repeatedly.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Have we discussed how the brocks not being texas locks is total horseshit? Because brothers and sisters, it’s total horseshit

I mean, Luke is on the team and is under scholarship.  If he was having the time of his life, you’d think the two young bros would be signed on by now. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

I mean, Luke is on the team and is under scholarship.  If he was having the time of his life, you’d think the two young bros would be signed on by now. 

All part of the master plan to make Saban use precious resources to recruit them.

Vizzini died before he could reveal the 3rd classic blunder. Never expend a lot of resources on 3rd generation Texas Longhorns.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Here’s how I choose to see it 

if we have a good season, we get the brocks. 
if we have a poor season, we fire the head coach and make a splash hire and get the brocks. 

Outside of winning 3 or less games, Herman isn't getting fired.

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

A new Carrington follow - the guys he follows have a much higher rate of getting offers in the near future than the position coaches' follows: https://247sports.com/Player/Garfield-Lawrence-46094670/

I like Jonathon Jones HUDL more than this guy, but both of them look better than David Abiara to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, to me Jones looks like a take and I don't really need to see his senior development. I could see wanting to see Lawrence and his development for sure. Having said that he does a really nice job of maintaining gap integrity while reading RPOs and then actually reacting to his read and making a play. Some of that is coachable and some of that is intrinsic. He doesn't have a ton of technique, he's long and lean so he clearly has a lot of physical and technical upside. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

A new Carrington follow - the guys he follows have a much higher rate of getting offers in the near future than the position coaches' follows: https://247sports.com/Player/Garfield-Lawrence-46094670/

I think the evaluation order of operations goes typically, but not always, Chang > position coach > coordinator > Herman, and if Herman signs off, then Carrington starts talking to him about how he wants to announce his offer

• Like 4

Super excited to see UT competing with Kansas and Houston Baptist for talent. I am sure he has upside but I prefer when Texas is going after talent that would actually be  a take at schools like LSU, Alabama, Clemson, OU etc. Seeing UT looking at kids that Colorado is the best school on their offer list is a little concerning.

I get having to look for diamonds in the rough but there would seem to be better options out there than a low 3 star.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Super excited to see UT competing with Kansas and Houston Baptist for talent. I am sure he has upside but I prefer when Texas is going after talent that would actually be  a take at schools like LSU, Alabama, Clemson, OU etc. Seeing UT looking at kids that Colorado is the best school on their offer list is a little concerning.

I get having to look for diamonds in the rough but there would seem to be better options out there than a low 3 star.

we got a badass over here lol GIF by BizWireTV

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Jesus fucking Christ dude, you are actively hunting for things to hate on the past couple days. This is all normal recruiting evaluation stuff, especially before anyone's played their senior year.

Once they actually take a commitment from a guy like this (hi Casey Cain!) is the appropriate time to work yourself up into a lather.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Exactly how hard is it to just look at Ketch's LoneStar 100 or Looch 44 lists and offer and recruit just the top 20.  Then look up the national composite ranking and offer the top 50 overall players..  We make this soooooo difficult. Recruiting services do all the hard work, we just have to close

• Like 4

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Jesus fucking Christ dude, you are actively hunting for things to hate on the past couple days. This is all normal recruiting evaluation stuff, especially before anyone's played their senior year.

Once they actually take a commitment from a guy like this (hi Casey Cain!) is the appropriate time to work yourself up into a lather.

I know, I am bitter and tired of suckitude among coaching staff and players. I am having hard time seeing forest for trees here or that the staff actually have a coherent recruiting plan. Just tired of seeing many of top players go out of state. I just have very little faith in Herman and having yet another staff "reboot" just seems to be a repeat of the CS era.

15 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Exactly how hard is it to just look at Ketch's LoneStar 100 or Looch 44 lists and offer and recruit just the top 20.  Then look up the national composite ranking and offer the top 50 overall players..  We make this soooooo difficult. Recruiting services do all the hard work, we just have to close

Can someone please tell Herman about this formula.  That will fix all recruiting issues.  It’s just so simple./BrazilHorn.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I know, I am bitter and tired of suckitude among coaching staff and players. I am having hard time seeing forest for trees here or that the staff actually have a coherent recruiting plan. Just tired of seeing many of top players go out of state. I just have very little faith in Herman and having yet another staff "reboot" just seems to be a repeat of the CS era.

recruiting might not be for you

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I mean for how many years have we complained about how this staff continues to fuck up and not have contingency plans in place until like a week before NSD or offering literally 24 hours before a recruit is set to announce. 

Now they do it, reach out, keep dudes warm and this fucking guy is complaining about it.

You should go back to where you came from, which I assume is the football board. Not sure recruiting is going to work out for you.

(By the way, this is ignoring the fact that this is going to be the most wack recruiting time frame maybe ever because there are ZERO camps/workouts/visits and teams have to focus on evaluations...)

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Tom Herman's composite class rankings since he became HC:

• 2017 (transition class): 25th overall, 2nd in B12
  • 2018: 3rd overall, #1 in B12
  • 2019: 3rd overall, #1 in B12
  • 2020: 8th overall, #1 in B12

But sure, they have no coherent recruiting plan! 

Recruiting, generally, is one of the best things they have done based on consensus ranking results. 

I don't think recruiting is for you. This isn't 2002 anymore. Players leaving the state happens more now. Recruiting nationally is a huge order of magnitude more important now than it was even 10 years ago. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It feels almost like Herman fired a bunch of guys and brought in an outstanding OC and a DC he trusts that held the crystal football with him in their last go around. As for the players, I expect a lot of guys on defense will suddenly look 2 steps faster and will tackle much better simply by being in position. On offense, I expect them to actually exploit matchup mismatches and take easy first downs. 

h4FD4A76F

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It's almost like you aren't alone. It feels almost like Herman fired a bunch of guys and brought in an outstanding OC and a DC he trusts that held the crystal football with him in their last go around. As for the players, I expect a lot of guys on defense will suddenly look 2 steps faster and will tackle much better simply by being in position. On offense, I expect them to actually exploit matchup mismatches and take easy first downs. 

This will be the biggest difference. It’s hard to actually grasp how much better our defense can be by just not taking them out of position before the balls even snapped almost every play. 

Depending on what type of analysis you want to use, we were somewhere between the 70th-100th defense out of 125. Either our personnel really sucks, or our DC was about the worst DC in all of CFB last year.  It’s pretty fucking obvious it was the latter.

Just playing simple coverages and letting our athletes play is going to drastically transform our defense. Our defense is going to be drastically more talented than 9 of the 12 offenses we face this year. 
 If our offense just improves slightly, jumping 50-75 spots in defensive ranking would make a huge difference, and I think that kind of jump is completely realistic to expect.
Even if we just stay around 10-15th in offense and move up to 25th-30th on defense,  you’re talking playoff contender ranks right there. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This will be the biggest difference. It’s hard to actually grasp how much better our defense can be by just not taking them out of position before the balls even snapped almost every play. 

Well it's not that hard.

RBB-Texas-Utah-3610.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Depending on what type of analysis you want to use, we were somewhere between the 70th-100th defense out of 125. Either our personnel really sucks, or our DC was about the worst DC in all of CFB last year.  It’s pretty fucking obvious it was the latter.

Just playing simple coverages and letting our athletes play is going to drastically transform our defense. Our defense is going to be drastically more talented than 9 of the 12 offenses we face this year. 

This can't be overstated. Go back and watch the difference in the Texas D, how much faster and more aggressive they looked against a really good Utah offense. Compare that to their outing against Kansas or TCU. That Utah offense was FAR superior and the Utah coaching staff is one of the best in CFB. People have really downplayed that bowl but if you feel that way go back and watch that game again because the defense, by simplifying things just a bit, looked entirely different against an offense that was much better than most of the 2019 scheudle. Crappy teams that befuddled them earlier in the season with Orlando and his patented FS blitz from San Saba on 3rd and 64. 

Ossai had 9 tackles including SIX TFLs and 3 sacks in that game. It's almost like - if you recruit elite guys to do a thing and then just let them do that thing, instead of scheming their talent out of the gameplan, that they perform at a really fucking high level. 

That defense absolutely humbled Utah and it did with Cort Jaquess starting at LB. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Between the Byrd news and coaching talk, pour that Kool-Aid straight into my veins, gentlemen. Show. Me. A. Loss.

Fuck it, I'm in to.  Show me a loss.  Brock's can commit to Bama'.  If we can't show them a loss come December they ain't signing with them.  Byrd, Wheaton, Landon Jackson, Turner, errbody.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1