Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

But... he did that? Or did you want him to can them after the Sugar Bowl?

tbf it's less about what he wants, and about how the Brocks view things. But, if not that, what else is it (honest question, haven't paid too much attention to them personally as I really believed they were in the bag)? Are these kids just that set on striking out on their own, or where'd we fuck up? Hand can't be that big of a deterrent in this situation...

.. I gotta imagine it's a combo of not cutting bait sooner, and not winning in '19. Mainly not winning in '19.

Edited by UncleBuck

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

But... he did that? Or did you want him to can them after the Sugar Bowl?

(I mean, he obviously should have recognized at UH that guys like Warehime and Mehringer were dead weight, but that's an earlier timeframe than we're looking at here).

You know full well he waited a year too long to fire guys like Mehringer and Warehime. I don’t care if we won the Sugar Bowl. Good coaches still look to improve their staff even after successful seasons. It was obvious they both sucked, and he was wasting 3 spots on TE/WR. Mehringer especially had been causing locker room issues that whole time too. 

11 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

tbf it's less about what he wants, and about how the Brocks view things. But, if not that, what else is it (honest question, haven't paid too much attention to them personally as I really believed they were in the bag)? Are these kids just that set on striking out on their own, or where'd we fuck up? Hand can't be that big of a deterrent in this situation...

.. I gotta imagine it's a combo of not cutting bait sooner, and not winning in '19. Mainly not winning in '19.

We always thought having Luke on the team would help, but considering how shitty things were last season and how many locker room issues we had , it’s likely that factor has actually been working against us. Hopefully if Herman can right the ship and fix the locker room, the Brocks will be quicker to catch on to that happening than recruits without such a close tie to the team. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

You know full well he waited a year too long to fire guys like Mehringer and Warehime. I don’t care if we won the Sugar Bowl. It was obvious they both sucked, and he was wasting 3 spots on TE/WR. Mehringer especially had been causing locker room issues that whole time too. 

We always thought having Luke on the team would help, but considering how shitty things were last season and how many locker room issues we had , it’s likely that factor has actually been working against us. Hopefully if Herman can right the ship and fix the locker room, the Brocks will be quicker to catch on to that happening than recruits without such a close tie to the team. 

This can't be said enough. He'd already had an established history of driving off Hemphill-Mapps, as well as having to move Meekins to inside WR recruiting to keep LJH from leaving as well. And WR kids almost revolted at the end of this season as well. And, because he couldn't fire his buddies in a timely fashion, had the side effect of also unbalancing the coaching staff absurdly towards the offensive side of the ball as well. So by all means, lets not gloss over the fact that firing Mehinger and Captain Upper Decker happened way too late and has had long term negative ramificiations.

• Like 2

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Can Texas make a move with elite tight end Thomas Fidone?

https://247sports.com/Player/Thomas-Fidone-46086515/

Spoiler

Can Texas make a move with elite tight end Thomas Fidone?

MikeRoach

Thomas Fidone is pretty far along in his recruitment.

The four-star tight end from Council Bluffs (IA) Lewis Central just recently received a Texas offer, but he’s been talking with the staff for a while. Despite Texas entering the race late, Fidone said he has interest in the Longhorns.

“I’m very interested,” Fidone said. “Me and coach (Boulware) have been in contact for a while actually. I like how they would use me in the offense and yes, I’m far along but I am still open and looking to check out places to find the best fit for me.”

Fidone held over 30 offers before Texas entered the race. He said the offer from Texas stood out to him because of their tradition and coaching staff.

“It means a ton,” he said. “Texas has a great head coach and he’s won a lot of games in the first three years. They also have coach Boulware who also has a great track record.”

Texas tight ends coach Jay Boulware has been the coach in communication with Fidone. In their short time together, Fidone said he likes what he hears from Boulware.

“From the times we have talked, he seems like an awesome guy,” Fidone said. “He wants me as a big receiver. He has a good record with his previous players and develops them well.”

Fidone doesn’t plan to commit any time soon. He plans to make sure he can take all of his visits before moving on to the next phase. The Longhorns will angle to get a trip before all is said and done, and Fidone isn’t ruling them out.

“I’m waiting to take visits before I’m able to make my decision,” he said. “I’d say there’s definitely a chance they get a visit.”

At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, Fidone is ranked as the No. 2 tight end in the nation and No. 1 overall prospect in Iowa, according to 247Sports Composite.

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If we were a real program, it would not even be a question.  Both those guys plus the LB with the neck would be playing.

As opposed to our current LBs ... ah, now that explains our LB struggles, doesn't it?

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If we were a real program, it would not even be a question.  Both those guys plus the LB with the neck would be playing.

I know you're talking De'Gabriel Floyd, but "the LB with the neck" will never not be Payton Wilson as far as I'm concerned.

41 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Was it ctj that talked about having a meal with Roach and EJ where EJ did all the talking and Roach just emotionlessly went through a gigabucket of wings?

i don't think he was at the lunch, but I think it was relayed to him by some booster that took them to lunch. offered to go wherever they wanted and went to bw3's or some other wing joinnt. EJ asked for avocado toast

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I agree with this.  The Brocks know the good and bad that is going on with the team/coaches.  

If the new coaches click and the season goes good Luke could help,  if not maybe not so good for us.  

I just don't think this recruitment is close to being over.  

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Was it ctj that talked about having a meal with Roach and EJ where EJ did all the talking and Roach just emotionlessly went through a gigabucket of wings?

Those wings aren’t going to eat themselves. Speaking of ctj where has he been?

Edited by stork642

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

@closetojumping time to wake up and defend your honor, sir. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

i don't think he was at the lunch, but I think it was relayed to him by some booster that took them to lunch. offered to go wherever they wanted and went to bw3's or some other wing joinnt. EJ asked for avocado toast

This story is much, MUCH better when CTJ is the actual player at lunch. Lets keep it that way, shall we. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

@closetojumping time to wake up and defend your honor, sir. 

This story is much, MUCH better when CTJ is the actual player at lunch. Lets keep it that way, shall we. 

I heard that @closetojumping was actually the one who ordered the avocado toast and then he and EJ FaceTimed Footwork King to talk about appropriate street wear attire to wear to your own wedding, as well as how great these trainers were #forthekidz! Crazy things happen when you’re 4 mimosas deep at pluckers! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I heard that @closetojumping was actually the one who ordered the avocado toast and then he and EJ FaceTimed Footwork King to talk about appropriate street wear attire to wear to your own wedding, as well as how great these trainers were #forthekidz! Crazy things happen when you’re 4 mimosas deep at pluckers! 

Boo.  Classic case of going all Debbie Does Dallas when Last Tango in Paris would suffice.  Tsk, tsk.