Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I haven’t been on a $9.95er board in years and I’ve mocked them to the point that they’ve at times come after me publicly out of frustration. 

I remember awhile back one of the IT guys took a shot at you on twitter (Nahlin?), but it was because people were sourcing you more than them lol

59 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The problem with this claim is that it is provably wrong. You are a piece of human shit and aren’t worth the time to deal with on my end normally, but hey, since you summoned me, why not? 

You’re just dipshitted noise that people mistakenly trusted during the doldrums of the summer because you were thrown a couple of nuggets from your cousin. That’s it. Everything about your history is either vapid nonsense and emojis or histrionics about the lack of hot women on UT’s campus. I haven’t been on a $9.95er board in years and I’ve mocked them to the point that they’ve at times come after me publicly out of frustration. In short, go fuck yourself, your shitty trash shorthand that a few rubes find amusing, and your need to be perceived as anything other than a random guy that happens to be a joke of a relative to one of the players on the team.

For the rest of the board, I may have said Johnson will sign on SD1, but it’s more likely it’s SD2. We get him if we don’t fuck up the hire. CDC was on a call with him and staff, but the dude vouched for the program rather than Herman, at all. 

It's like you don't even remember that magical dinner.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

I remember awhile back one of the IT guys took a shot at you on twitter (Nahlin?), but it was because people were sourcing you more than them lol

Pretty sure they used to work together. I forget the entire story but the gist of it was that Nahlin was stealing scoops, CTJ took issue with it, and they nearly came to blows over it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The problem with this claim is that it is provably wrong. You are a piece of human shit and aren’t worth the time to deal with on my end normally, but hey, since you summoned me, why not? 

You’re just dipshitted noise that people mistakenly trusted during the doldrums of the summer because you were thrown a couple of nuggets from your cousin. That’s it. Everything about your history is either vapid nonsense and emojis or histrionics about the lack of hot women on UT’s campus. I haven’t been on a $9.95er board in years and I’ve mocked them to the point that they’ve at times come after me publicly out of frustration. In short, go fuck yourself, your shitty trash shorthand that a few rubes find amusing, and your need to be perceived as anything other than a random guy that happens to be a joke of a relative to one of the players on the team.

For the rest of the board, I may have said Johnson will sign on SD1, but it’s more likely it’s SD2. We get him if we don’t fuck up the hire. CDC was on a call with him and staff, but the dude vouched for the program rather than Herman, at all. 

Spoiler

knee grow im not reading that puzzy paragraph

Your 👉 assumptions 😮 are based 👌 on 🔛 a trivial understanding 📚 of human 👤 nature 🌿. But 🍑 I 👁 digress 🎓. You 👈 need 👉 to get 🔟 out of your 👈 own head 💆 space 🚀, as limited ⚠ as that may 👌 be, and embark 👣 on 🔛 a journey 🌄 of discovery 🔎.

It has been said 💬 that there is a sucker 😜💦 born 🐣 every ☝🅱 minute ⏱ and you 👈, sir 👨, must 👫 have been born 👶🙀🤔 exactly 👌🙈😏 when the long 🍆 hand 🤲 reached 😂 twelve 📅. Ironically 😂 twelve 📅 is also 👨 the age 👶👵 at which your 👉 brain 🧠 ceased its maturing processes 🏭.

Please 😩🙏 do not speak/type/dictate things 📴 of which (and for which) you 👈 know 🤔 not of. This is a land 🏞 of great 👍🏼 wonder 🤔, but 🍑 it also 👨 a land 🛬 of great 👍 dangers 🔪. You 👈 do NOT want 😍 to test 📝 me

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Fuck You 1

Scipio Tex: Texas Hiring Considerations

I understand some of you want me to just tell you who to hire already, but let me gently suggest that you may not be getting the thrust of my points. In the absence of my being read in on pretty crucial information only obtainable through background checks, face-to-face interaction, and long conversations with the candidates, I'd prefer to create some content for the people that might get to do those things while hopefully also providing us all with some considerations to chew on.

1. We're Not Hiring A Softball Coach.

Trying to intuit CDC's football coach hiring ability from minor sport hires isn't that helpful. Here's the correct Longhorn process for hiring in a minor non-revenue sport: identify charismatic proven winner, wildly exceed their current salary, offer them more resources, spell their name right on the welcome banner. If you want to imagine some deeper process with direct transfer to football, have at it. It's not there.

If we could just write a bigger check and offer more resources to the best football coach available, we'd do that. It doesn't work that way.  CDC will prove his ability to hire football coaches by hiring a football coach.

2. Recruiting Isn't A Silo.

Recruiting and development can't be separated. Far too many posts opining "that guy would kill it on the trail" without any mention of what happens once that trail empties into the locker room. What's been happening here for at least a decade? Silo recruiting unmarried to real development and scheme. Folks act as if they're discrete processes. They're not. Texas fans should know better by now.

Recruiting should be understood as the genesis of the development process. Talent acquisition is hugely important. But it's just getting the right raw materials in the door. Then the program has to fit, forge, and shape. That product is then utilized on game day.

Poor internal program process will always sabotage recruiting over time. Not just the on-field product, but future recruiting. An inability to develop will quickly impede a staff's ability to acquire. Until Texas fans, coaches, and administrators recognize this, we will continue to underachieve.

3. Use Big Cigars Wisely.

Those of us who aren't writing the check for a buy out or a new hire are pretty bold with how we'd spend someone else's money, aren't we? We all have futures in politics. So I'll take a moment to say thanks to the Cigars before making my point.

Most of the folks who write big checks or who are highly connected don't necessarily know football at a high level. Even a few who played football way back when. That's not a knock - that reflects the general population. No one has the time to keep up with all of this.

But they do have incredible potential input on leadership traits and valuable instinctive insights into human beings. This is very valuable. They should be a part of the process, but not necessarily pick the hire. If that process is deftly run, they're good with that. However, in the absence of leadership, they will fill a void. I reject the larger media portrayal of our big alums as overbearing or meddling. In fact, an outsized number of them are pretty exceptional people who care about the process. Their insights can be very useful if you'll target their focus productively.

4. The Head Coach At Texas Isn't Defined By Mack Brown.

Let's stop doing this. The average fan's conception of what type of coach works at Texas is a projection of what that fan wants out of the coach at Texas. Or what they knew when Texas was winning. Mack Brown created the modern conception of the Texas football coach. Which is to his personal credit. But he was a re-imagination, not the prototype. The prototype's name is on the stadium. A wider range of personalities can succeed here than the conventional wisdom holds.

5. The Staff That Got You Here Won't Keep You Here.

The staff that got you the big job isn't the one that will enable you to keep it. This isn't the first time I've written that and I suspect it won't be the last. Most rising head coaches struggle with that because they lack perspective, misplace loyalty, and they suffer from Midas Touch syndrome. "Of course I have the best staff. It got me the Texas job, millions of dollars, and this awesome house. I can do no wrong!"

It's a good athletic director's job to create perspective and expectations around this. This is an easy concept to evaluate and explicitly address in an interview scenario. I have beaten this drum for years. Not hard enough, apparently.

6. Use Consultants Properly.

I mocked Korn Ferry the last time we used them before Strong was even hired because they were so clearly inept. I was already familiar with Jed Hughes and he fell short of my low expectations. Instead of using them appropriately for minimizing open record requests and acting as 3rd party feelers, we actually let them put together the list of candidates with recommendations that we then took seriously. I wouldn't take their recommendations for a dog walker.

Our current administrators have not made this mistake and it heartens me.

7. Positive Insecurity.

There are different kinds of leadership insecurity. Leaders who are insecure fundamentally about who they are. And leaders who are insecure about what they might become. They may feel the same in a casual contact or evidence many of the same external behaviors, but they're different species when faced with the twin killers of adversity or complacency.

The negatively insecure are in constant compensation mode. When adversity hits them on a big stage, they double down on their defects and retreat into their inner circle, blaming others for their failure and relying on even more bluster. These coaches are constructed realities, totally uncomfortable in their own skin. Time and pressure reveals them.

Positively insecure leaders worry constantly that someone is getting an edge on them or that they and their people are getting soft and complacent. They create ways to enforce vitality curves, and challenge orthodoxy in their own program, even in times of success. It doesn't feel forced either. They admit mistakes and they lose sleep after a 24 point win if the team didn't play well. They're tortured, but they know who they are.

Both can be incredibly driven and successful. But as they level up and encounter challenges, one of them will get small under the big spotlight while the other grows to match it. Texas needs the latter.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Your 👉 assumptions 😮 are based 👌 on 🔛 a trivial understanding 📚 of human 👤 nature 🌿. But 🍑 I 👁 digress 🎓. You 👈 need 👉 to get 🔟 out of your 👈 own head 💆 space 🚀, as limited ⚠ as that may 👌 be, and embark 👣 on 🔛 a journey 🌄 of discovery 🔎.

It has been said 💬 that there is a sucker 😜💦 born 🐣 every ☝🅱 minute ⏱ and you 👈, sir 👨, must 👫 have been born 👶🙀🤔 exactly 👌🙈😏 when the long 🍆 hand 🤲 reached 😂 twelve 📅. Ironically 😂 twelve 📅 is also 👨 the age 👶👵 at which your 👉 brain 🧠 ceased its maturing processes 🏭.

Please 😩🙏 do not speak/type/dictate things 📴 of which (and for which) you 👈 know 🤔 not of. This is a land 🏞 of great 👍🏼 wonder 🤔, but 🍑 it also 👨 a land 🛬 of great 👍 dangers 🔪. You 👈 do NOT want 😍 to test 📝 me

Dude, those remedial English classes at the local junior college are really starting to payoff. You almost don’t even need pictures anymore in order to effectively communicate. 

This is like the 4th time your bitchass has threatened me on this site, including telling me you were going to jump me with your buddies, and fuck my adult daughter and do whatever shit you said about her, I don’t recall. You’re all class and come across as quite the confident badass. 

You’ve been swinging from my nuts since you showed up here under your first handle, and it’s not even entertaining. You’re going on ignore. You can DM me threats in the future if you need my attention.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

@closetojumpinghas no sources he reads posts from 995 sites & rewords them to seem like he came up with it

if u look at his post history all his scoops are always minutes after a 995er posts a story 

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

3 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:
  Reveal hidden contents

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, those remedial English classes at the local junior college are really starting to payoff. You almost don’t even need pictures anymore in order to effectively communicate. 

This is like the 4th time your bitchass has threatened me on this site, including telling me you were going to jump me with your buddies, and fuck my adult daughter and do whatever shit you said about her, I don’t recall. You’re all class and come across as quite the confident badass. 

You’ve been swinging from my nuts since you showed up here under your first handle, and it’s not even entertaining. You’re going on ignore. You can DM me threats in the future if you need my attention.  

Get a room already, you two!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Instead of arguing about dumb shit, will one of you (or anyone that has any insight for that matter) explain what was the reason for the difference with the offense against KSU?  I know they have issues with depth and such but that is not the only explanation.  Recruiting related because the current players sure seemed to be having a good time, and when recruits ask them about the program it could make a difference.

18 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Instead of arguing about dumb shit, will one of you (or anyone that has any insight for that matter) explain what was the reason for the difference with the offense against KSU?  I know they have issues with depth and such but that is not the only explanation.  Recruiting related because the current players sure seemed to be having a good time, and when recruits ask them about the program it could make a difference.

@C-Man said he heard Herman just kinda checked out and let his coordinators take the wheel. Not sure I buy the drunk all week as anything other than exaggeration.

2 hours ago, Yesh said:

k-state bad

bijan good

that'll be $9.95

• Like 1

Bobby Burton: Wednesday

For those of you wanting resolution sooner rather than later when it comes to the head coaching situation at the University of Texas, I have some straight-forward news for you. “Nothing is happening any time soon,” a high-ranking University of Texas official texted me yesterday. For context, “soon” means subsequent to both the early national signing period and the various conference championship games.

But the idea that nothing is happening soon publicly is quite different from what is actually occurring behind closed doors The wheels remain in motion behind the scenes to vet possible replacements for Tom Herman, who has had mixed success as Longhorns’ head coach.

As we reported previously, over the last month, key university personnel, regents and donors had united in their pursuit of Urban Meyer, the three-time national champion. Considered the only “sure thing” available prior to the end of the college football and NFL season, Meyer has to this point rebuffed the Horns’ overtures.

Vetting of potential replacements continues behind the scenes, as does the idea of once again trying to unify the university’s group of power brokers and decision makers into the pursuit of a few select candidates. The unity behind the pursuit of Meyer was a welcome change to what typically occurs in a Texas football coaching search, where various factions have their favorites.

But Texas officials want that same sort of unanimity on whoever they turn their focus to next. Stakeholders are being consulted and listened to. Virtual unanimity may ultimately be impossible. In fact, I think it is. However, the idea of a comprehensive and careful vetting of multiple highly qualified candidates is a welcome change to what I have seen happen during other searches.

For that, a few people deserve some credit, and that includes multiple members of the Texas board of regents, led by chair Kevin Eltife, school president Jay Hartzell and athletic director Chris Del Conte. I feel like Texas is in good hands with the group and its approach to the task. Of course, we’ve yet to see the results of their efforts and the proof will always be in the pudding.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, NoName said:

what is the story here?

unranked juco

unranked out of HS as c/o 2017

he has picked up a handful of P5 offers recently so that's good news...is this a name anyone has ever heard of before?

from a couple of articles - sounds like his ranking is going to be updated soon ::

He was a non-qualifier out of HS (hence the unranked). He moved from South Carolina to GA to live with his brothers tried out for GMA, he's got 3 years of eligibility left and Auburn is after him hard, sounds like he wants to go to UGA but that offer isn't committable. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Eric Nahlin: Coaching source discusses some potential candidates

I caught up with one of my favorite sources for all things Texas (the state). Whether it’s coaching rumors or recruiting and evaluation, this is a man whose opinion I respect.

Sonny Dykes, SMU:

“He the next guy at Texas? (Not likely) He and the athletic director are tight. Good dude. More of HC and relationship guy than an X/O guy. He knows ball but is going to hire folks and let them do their jobs. Understands his strengths are in recruiting and relating to folks. I like him a lot.” - all quotes unless otherwise noted are from a well known Big 12 assistant coach.

“Does seem a little odd to me. I do think he would be successful there. It may underwhelm folks due to expectations of Urban but I think he would be successful.”

Underwhelm is an understatement. I do think Dykes could have Texas winning 8-9 pretty consistently. There’s nothing wrong with him, Texas should expect to do better. Is he even the best candidate with head coaching experience at Cal? He probably would hire some solid coordinators, and has a couple people on his current SMU staff who should be at Texas (Randall Joyner and Ra’Shaad Samples). But, we don’t think Dykes has much of a chance.

Beyond athletic director Chris Del Conte and Inside Texas’ lead college football analyst Ian Boyd, Dykes doesn’t have much support. Bottom line: If going the CEO route, there has to be better options out there.

Matt Campbell, Iowa State

“Campbell is baller. I do think he is oddly attached and loyal to Iowa state. Now I know money changes that but he’s turned down some big ones already. He may wait for Michigan to open or NFL. We have a GA that played for him and he swears he’s not leaving.” - Big 12 coach

I personally view Campbell as a fantastic candidate, if a bit of a weird fit. I think he can win wherever there’s a football. No need to go in depth here, we’re all familiar with who he is. Bottom line: He’s the most likely known candidate for the decision makers to unify behind but he’ll be a difficult pull. He can’t simply be wallet whipped.

Jeff Traylor, UTSA

“Traylor to UT???” Yes, hypothetically. “I think he’s a guy that can relate well to kids. Good motivator. Obviously done a good job there adapting offense to the talent they inherited. Hires good people let’s them do their job and he manages it all.“ That’s my exact read on him. That ‘let’s them do their job and he manages it all’ is key.  Traylor would be an excellent recruiting head coach and would assemble a staff to recruit at a high level. The offensive line would improve over night with the return of Matt Mattox.

With the search being wide open, Texas will do its homework here. A final question: Who should Texas pursue? ”I’m like everyone else, gotta crush on Campbell. Could also look at Neal Brown.”

#####

I’m starting to do a little homework on Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott. He’s an impressive person as well as coach. We’ve heard Texas prefers P5 head coaching experience but they need an expansive search (which explains Traylor’s inclusion). Maybe the next big thing is a coordinator waiting for the right job? Paul has been mentioning traits left and right yesterday. I’ve often said the same, though not as articulately. “You can evaluate coaches like players.” Elliott should get an evaluation.

I hollered at someone late last night who is quite familiar with him. Here’s some surface level info: “Tony Elliott is highly regarded in coaching circles in terms of his character. He’s a patient but effective recruiter at Clemson and has ascended quickly in the business to call plays for one of the best programs in the country. Elliott has been choosy with job opportunities in that he hasn’t engaged with schools during the season, which has perhaps hurt his chances at times.“

If we hear his name in a real capacity we’ll dive much deeper.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I’m either too drunk on Jameson or too old and white to understand this. Or maybe just too lazy.

18 hours ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: Coaching source discusses some potential candidates

Reading the write ups on Dykes and Traylor, the rumors that Herman checked out last week and let his coordinators run things, and watching the results against KSU, I’m staring to think Traylor or Dykes with the same staff would have had us in the CCG next weekend, if not undefeated. 

• Hook 'Em 2

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: Decisions, decisions

Early signing period for the class of 2021 is just seven days away. Texas currently has 19 commitments with 18 expected to sign December 16th through the 18th. The lone commitment that currently plans to wait until February is Bishop Kenny center Michael Myslinski. The Longhorns have a class that has settled in the No. 15 to 20 range with a number of key targets still remaining in play. Today, IT takes a look at where recruitments stand for top targets remaining on the board.

L.J. Johnson, RB, Cy-Fair
Texas has continued to trend positively for one of the nation's top running back prospects over Texas A&M this season, with LSU and Oklahoma in play but on the peripheral for the majority of this recruitment. Stan Drayton has a huge advantage over Tommie Robinson in this recruitment with the help of Bryan Carrington. The major question for the Longhorns is if Johnson will sign in December or February. Even this week, there has been some back and forth if Johnson will ink next week or wait until February.

Shemar Turner, DE/T, DeSoto
What was looking like a Texas A&M vs. Texas battle heading into the season is now a recruitment trending to the Aggies with Alabama and LSU trying to make a very strong push. Turner’s commitment and signing is December 16.

Gharin Stansbury, DE, Franklin (LA)
The Arizona State verbal is a maybe to sign in December with Texas and Tennessee working hard to flip the edge pass rusher. The Longhorns' communication with Stansbury and his circle has continued consistently with one member of the family preferring the 6-foot-5, 230-pounder head to Austin for the academic/athletic combination.

Savion Byrd, OT, Duncanville
With Ra’Shaad Samples looking like he will remain at SMU, the Mustangs are the favorite to land Byrd over Oklahoma, LSU, Auburn and Texas. Byrd is scheduled to commit and sign December 16.

Bryce Foster, OG, Katy Taylor
The Oklahoma Sooners have been the favorite the majority of the season to land the two-sport star. Texas A&M has made up ground with a strong season on the field, and there remains some push to the Aggies in family. Texas was second to the Sooners entering the season, but have fallen off heading into Foster’s commitment and signing December 18.

J.J. Henry, WR, McKinney North
Ole Miss has been the most consistent team in the recruiting efforts of Henry, and the Rebels are trending with a December 16 commitment and signing planned. The use and success of Elijah Moore at Ole Miss has only helped Ole Miss’ cause in winning out this recruitment. Texas, TCU, Texas A&M and Florida State have run hot and cold in this recruitment with the Longhorns having been trying to play catch up of late.

Keithron Lee, WR, Rudder
Lee is a prospect that has planned to sign in February for some time, and that is good news for the Longhorns as they are quickly building a strong relationship. TCU, Ole Miss, SMU and Tennessee are trying to do the same. A late offer by Texas A&M could still be a game changer, but this is a recruitment that Texas is currently sitting in a quality position.

Byron Young, OLB/DE, Georgia Military College
The 6-foot-3, 245-pound edge prospect from the Palmetto State has family in Austin, but Texas just offering this week is seemingly in a tough spot to beat out Auburn, Florida State, LSU, Ole Miss, TCU and others who have been relationship building for months.

Scheduled January enrollees:
Charles Wright, QB, Austin High
Jaden Alexis, WR, Monarch High (FL)
Gunnar Helm, TE, Cherry Creek (CO)
Hayden Conner, G/T, Katy Taylor
Derrick Harris Jr, OLB, New Caney
Terrence Cooks, Shadow Creek
J.D. Coffey, S, Kennedale
Jamier Johnson, CB, John Muir (CA)

Signing next week, but not enrolling until June:
Jonathon Brooks, RB, Hallettsville
Casey Cain, WR, Warren Easton (LA)
Juan Davis, TE/ATH, Everman
Max Merril, G/T, Strake Jesuit
Ja’Tavion Sanders, DE/TE, Denton Ryan
Jordon Thomas, DE/T, Port Arthur Memorial
Byron Murphy, DT, DeSoto
Morice Blackwell, LB, Arlington Martin
Ishmael Ibraheem, CB, Dallas Kimball
Isaac Pearson, P, ProKick Australia

Signing in February:
Michael Myslinski, C, Bishop Kenny (FL) - The Sunshine State center is a soft verbal to Texas with Michigan State, Iowa and Maryland remaining in play.

• Hook 'Em 1