2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We won’t have snow for our toilets so of course people are freaking out.  This will be us trying to break through the ice on Town Lake tomorrow afternoon trying to get water to flush our toilets.

3WG6ABCE5PDA3WZPY2OLMP7A2U.jpg

Oh, you don't have a pool....how quaint.  

75291134.jpg

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It seems like it's getting colder sooner than expected in DFW area.  Does that mean less ice and more sleet/snow?  Hard for a non weather nerd to follow.

Not sure if true, but forecast is still saying > freezing until midnight.  The front is going to slowly drop temps, not quickly.

Of course, this could be crap and you could die a frozen, icy death by noon.  But I doubt it.  As far as more/less precip, hard to call, just depends on where the most rain bands fall (faster cooling won't matter that much I think).

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We won’t have snow for our toilets so of course people are freaking out.  This will be us trying to break through the ice on Town Lake tomorrow afternoon trying to get water to flush our toilets.

3WG6ABCE5PDA3WZPY2OLMP7A2U.jpg

LOL, last year we brought in snow from outside to put in the tub and melt for toidy water.  Only problem is, power was off, house went to 46°. and the shit stayed Slurpee the entire time.  Lots of fun.

It seems like it's getting colder sooner than expected in DFW area.  Does that mean less ice and more sleet/snow?  Hard for a non weather nerd to follow.

I thought it was gonna be in the 50s until around noon for some reason. Already 40 with a 30 windchill up here in the exurbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was a kid I took a nap on my grandparent’s porch once in the summertime. Yeah it was in the shade but it was still easily almost 100 outside. I’ve always, always loved the heat. But I’ll admit I turn into a whimpering bitch in anything under 60 degrees. 

Interesting thought that hadn’t occurred to me. I could absolutely take a nap in the shade when it’s 100+ degrees. I can sleep just fine camping when it’s in the 90’s. But sleeping inside with the temp above 70-ish is fucking torture for me. Guess it’s just the difference between the types of air inside vs out. During the winter, we keep it in the low to mid 60’s with the exception of when we first wake up. I’ll bump it to 71 while everybody gets their day started, then back down into the 60’s until the next morning. If it wasn’t for the pool, I think we’d be pretty minor consumers of electricity, but that things a gotdamn energy hog.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TexPx said:

I thought it was gonna be in the 50s until around noon for some reason. Already 40 with a 30 windchill up here in the exurbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure. I planned to do some 'prep' around lunchtime when I saw temps were still mild (and still will).  But temp dropped several degrees as I was walking dog this AM.  Definitely cooler than expected.  I guess the question is whether that means the super cold air will get here earlier than expected as well.  Kind of feels like Thunderstorm watch where you aren't going to know how ice is going to impact your area definitively until right up on you.

For sure. I planned to do some 'prep' around lunchtime when I saw temps were still mild (and still will).  But temp dropped several degrees as I was walking dog this AM.  Definitely cooler than expected.  I guess the question is whether that means the super cold air will get here earlier than expected as well.  Kind of feels like Thunderstorm watch where you aren't going to know how ice is going to impact your area definitively until right up on you.

Yeah. Was gonna walk the dogs around 10. Walked out the front door and decided “fuck that”.

Panic buying in full force at the Allandale HEB.  I went yesterday morning to get just enough food to last through Friday afternoon.  I made a quick trip this morning to get a few extra things (mainly snacks for my kids in case they're stuck at home Thursday and/or Friday), and the lines were longer than I've seen since it opened back up after last year's ice storm. 

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

When life gives you lemons.....

Beer in snow.jpg

Yep.  As a side note, that's one thing I don't get from last year's event -- all the people who said "I lost all the food in my freezer!"  Ummm.....we abandoned our house after a couple of days to head to my parents' house, who had power.  But before we did so, we took everything worth a damn out of the freezer and put it in the snow and ice on the back patio.  Where it stayed good and frozen till we returned a couple of days later, and then put it all back in the freezers.

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Panic buying in full force at the Allandale HEB.  I went yesterday morning to get just enough food to last through Friday afternoon.  I made a quick trip this morning to get a few extra things (mainly snacks for my kids in case they're stuck at home Thursday and/or Friday), and the lines were longer than I've seen since it opened back up after last year's ice storm. 

I had to swing by the Far West HEB last night to pick up a prescription, and then a few things my wife had on our HEB list.  Holy shit.  It was already apocalyptic.  Lots of bare slots on shelves and long lines.

There had been a run on english muffins.  Fucking english muffins.  Is that some sort of ice storm must-have I didn't know about?  It was just another item on my regular grocery list, but apparently it's the key to surviving the icepocalypse.  And forget getting any bottled water (we use distilled water in our Keurig) -- shelves were bare.  Sheesh.  The PTSD is real.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The PTSD is real.

Indeed it is.  That's why I don't fault people too much for hoarding bottled water, toilet paper, English muffins (WTF?), etc.  I feel pretty confident that this storm is going to be a fraction of the February 2021 Snowpocalypse, but that situation was so fucked up beyond all of our predictions.

the fucking city of austin texted me about 15 mins ago, and then, just now, CALLED ME to let me know that freezing conditions are happening tommorrow....

what in the holy fuck?

this isnt anything looking  remotely like last year- but now freezing conditions require a COA text and call???

48 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Same at Westlake. Went in to buy milk and beer and checkout lines extended down every aisle. Some had up to 30 gallons of water. Walked out and got what I needed at Valero. 

• Haha 1

I need to travel east Texas to near Austin on Friday...if I can, but really need to. I know everything is in flux, but those with experience, does TXDot usually do a good job of working on the roadways once they have access? This would mainly be a route of Highway 31 to I35 south.

Depending on the ice line, I could take a longer route south and try to avoid the worst areas, but then contingent on those smaller highways getting no attention at all...which could be worse even if less icing. 

Edited by LW Goatman

4 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

I need to travel east Texas to near Austin on Friday...if I can, but really need to. I know everything is in flux, but those with experience, does TXDot usually do a good job of working on the roadways once they have access? This would mainly be a route of Highway 31 to I35 south.

Depending on the ice line, I could take a longer route south and try to avoid the worst areas, but then contingent on those smaller highways getting no attention at all...which could be worse even if less icing. 

If you consider dumping dirt on the roads a good job, then yeah….

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Got the "we expect the branch to be open ay 7:30AM tomorrow morning message" so I'll be in a ditch somewhere on I-35 tomorrow morning in Waco for no god damn reason.

If you get to work, take a dump on the manager's desk. If you're the manager, take a dump on your own desk.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

If you get to work, take a dump on the manager's desk. If you're the manager, take a dump on your own desk.

Well I am the manager, but what if I drive to corporate instead? Also, I'm calling the CEO to pick me up if I do get stuck.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Someone said people are freaking out in here. Are people freaking out in here? Where is it? Seems kind of like the opposite to me.

Anyway, we're all gonna to die and I'm in a fetal position, sucking my thumb in my bedroom facing the wall.

I don't really see anyone freaking out in here.

HEB, on the other hand...

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've got my gas powered generator running in my living room as we speak, so I'm ready.

Yeah man, you're good.  Make sure you close all your windows to keep that heat inside.

BTW, if you really need to shop, best option is probably going to be Randall's.  I bet they're fully stocked.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Yeah man, you're good.  Make sure you close all your windows to keep that heat inside.

BTW, if you really need to shop, best option is probably going to be Randall's.  I bet they're fully stocked.

Exactly what I always note.  Although I will say that last year after the first day or two of Icemageddon, even our nearby Randall's had run out of most stuff.

28 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

If I’m flying to DFW to arrive at 8pm then connecting to ATX to land at 11:30, am I going to make it or should I starting crying and jerking off now?

I suspect both of those airports will be fine at those times. Just a question of if planes are where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there as the Midwest deals with the storm earlier- like now. 

4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Pro-tip: if you really do need groceries, hit a mexican mercado, like La Michoacana, El Rancho, etc.  Even in the panic-buying situations, they usually have plenty of what you need, because Mexicans don't panic like west Austin white folks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Last year I got to come up here and sit in .5" deep water after a pipe in the attic froze and eventually burst and left water running out the front door. This morning I went and insulated all of that shit so if it happens again. I'm 100% torching it.

Might want to delete this post if you do

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Pro-tip: if you really do need groceries, hit a mexican mercado, like La Michoacana, El Rancho, etc.  Even in the panic-buying situations, they usually have plenty of what you need, because Mexicans don't panic like west Austin white folks.

My wife is of the Mexican persuasion and I asked her yesterday if we were good on food if we can't leave and she pulled out a big ass bag of tortillas, a comal, and pointed to the fireplace. Always prepared.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3