2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

The thing that sucks about this storm is that it's really a fairly warm one. This cold layer from the front is very shallow, no more than a couple thousand feet. So the precip that forms aloft is rain, and the cold layer is so thin it might not even have time to freeze before it hits the ground (sleet), nor is frozen when it first forms in higher altitudes (snow). This stuff rains down the warm air until it hits the cold ground and then freezes.

If the cold layer deepens toward tomorrow there may be more sleet and even snow flurries before the storm moves out, as the middle atmosphere will get colder. But as much as I wish this were snow, the storm is too warm aloft to produce it, in any snow would be very light and fleeting as a storm really moves past us.

aight

4 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Drove 50 miles round trip to go turn off the water well at the place in Hays Co., then came back home to get told how to herd the plants inside.  I hate freezing weather.  

I was thinking about this from the Alaska thread. Are there pipe heaters for things like wells or for pipes that are below the frost line but rise as they come into the house? Just wondering how that stuff is handled when it gets 50 below and such.

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I have like 3 of these already.

Yeah. I go to the Scary HEB on South Congress, and it is picked so clean that it is about to be razed to the ground. I made one last attempt to get something from the bakery (the temp store lacks this) but I got chased away by the employees. I was kind of hoping to get the very last beer from there or something. And '2021 Hell Storm Flashback' and 'ERCOT mocked' are pretty much free squares.

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Gonna work from home tomorrow.  Gonna use that time to make a nice pot of red beans and rice.  Make the best of things, and enjoy the little things.

Same here, but chili instead. And I've got conference calls to MN all morning where they're ecstatic about the fact that their temps next week might finally break 30. 

47 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I was thinking about this from the Alaska thread. Are there pipe heaters for things like wells or for pipes that are below the frost line but rise as they come into the house? Just wondering how that stuff is handled when it gets 50 below and such.

If there’s one thing you’ll learn about me is, I’m the laziest, most slothful motherfucker that has ever graced this earth.  So rather than deal with the aftermath, I just headed it off at the pass.  No water, no freeze problem.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deej said:

If the birds are any indication, shit is about to get real. I usually have 5-10 at the feeders at any given time. There's 50 plus out there at the moment fighting for food. Blue Jay's, cardinals, woodpeckers, finches, doves, grackles...you name it. I guess they are filling up beforehand. 

The squirrels in my backyard were doing some renovations on their nest yesterday.  I took that as a bad sign so went and bought toilet paper.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wax Beer Cup said:

Had about an inch of rain with some sleet in Plano tonight, but luckily still hovering around freezing, so ice on fences and stuff, but streets still look pretty good.  Hopefully we’ll switch to snow soon without the layer of ice first they were predicting.  🤞

Already seen several Bradford pears, aka metroplex trash trees, down in several yards in my ‘hood from the ice weight.  Lots of trees still struggling from last year not gonna make it.  But roads still looking good since it was 75 yesterday and haven’t frozen over yet. 

Can't really tell what's up in the big D.  Google Maps is yella, not red yet, but probably more a function of people not trying to drive yet.

It has been sleeting since probably 4 am or earlier, because I could hear it hitting windows that early.

Still too dark to evaluate, but roof ridges are clean, even on the unheated garage.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Can't really tell what's up in the big D.  Google Maps is yella, not red yet, but probably more a function of people not trying to drive yet.

It has been sleeting since probably 4 am or earlier, because I could hear it hitting windows that early.

Still too dark to evaluate, but roof ridges are clean, even on the unheated garage.

In Waco.   Roof ridges are already dusty with sleet/ice.  Streets already have sleet starting to stick and it’s been going here since around 2:30/3.   Supposed to get another few hours of sleet then transition to snow.    Driveway and walkway are slick.  dog is not amused.   

A surprising accumulation of sleet in my yard here in central austin. Walked out to the street and footing was a little slick. Roads would probably be fine if you took a little care in driving, but with Austin drivers in these conditions, I doubt I'll test my theory any time today. 

Not too bad here. Stuff on concrete and street is slushy and the amount of ice on trees isn't that bad. Accumulations on the cooler surfaces on the ground. Figure as the temperature drops everything will get icier, but even though the radar shows stuff falling, there's nothing dropping. 

Did have some cover come off plants last night, so I have that going for me. 

Smart to go ahead and close the schools for a day, but it ain't 2021.

My house is 100% electric, so fingers crossed that the power stays on this time.  I noticed this morning that my 2yo American Standard HVAC was blowing cold air.  The outside fan had frozen.  I knocked some of the ice loose and thankfully it came back to life.  I Macgyvered a little shelter for it from an old camping table, some bricks, and chewing gum, and a paper clip...all while standing in ankle deep water in the dark.  I'll likely have to babysit it for the next 48 hours...assuming the grid holds up. 

• Hook 'Em 2