2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

22 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Making a run to the liquor store in N. Dallas.  Anyone need anything?

itjigR.gif

An update on road conditions would be appreciated as I’m gonna have to head out at some point this afternoon.  A nice Boudreaux and some good bourbon would be appreciated as well.

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

An update on road conditions would be appreciated as I’m gonna have to head out at some point this afternoon.  A nice Boudreaux and some good bourbon would be appreciated as well.

Man.....I once drank too much Chateaux Boudreaux at a party outside of Eunice.   A headache to end all headaches.

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I think this AM the roads are pretty dicey.  All that slush froze overnight, and until temps get above freezing, I'm staying put.  Kid had a Showcase soccer tournament in Austin that was cancelled because of travel concerns.  I went out and about yesterday, but had to put the truck in 4x4 to keep the ass from sliding all around.  

A thorough survey of what I can see from my windows at home seems to indicate that anything paved that’s been in the sun for any length of time is good, but shaded areas are icy. Which makes sense because it’s still below freezing. 

roof ice is melting but still hanging around due to cold air below, so bridges might still be an issue. 

Anyone want to take a stab at road conditions leaving San Marcos and Waco area up 35 late tomorrow morning into Dallas?   We're trying to decide whether to postpone a family event with people driving into town.  I think Dallas will be fine by early afternoon.  And assume 35 should be fine.   I just know it will be coldest yet in Dallas early tomorrow AM so some roads might still be a mess early.

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Anyone want to take a stab at road conditions leaving San Marcos and Waco area up 35 late tomorrow morning into Dallas?   We're trying to decide whether to postpone a family event with people driving into town.  I think Dallas will be fine by early afternoon.  And assume 35 should be fine.   I just know it will be coldest yet in Dallas early tomorrow AM so some roads might still be a mess early.

My guess would be that there’s plenty of sunshine today to melt and dry out the flat roads. Anywhere that water pools like a dip or low spot, of which there are many in the San Marcos area, will probably still have water and refreeze overnight. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ll add this about driving on ice- large patches you can’t do it without chains or studded tires. But small strips, like water runoff, are different.  

it really helps if you know where they are, either because you’ve can see them, have been over them already, or just have knowledge of where they will be.  Don’t turn, and coast over with no gas and no braking.  Just let momentum continue to have the wheels roll so that you pass over it axle by axle without sliding or spinning tires and getting the car out of position for when there is grip again.  The slower the better, as long as you carry enough speed to make it across without having to accelerate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Skipper said:

35 in Waco is fine right now.

41 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

35 in Waco is fine right now.

Yep.  Main roads are fine now.   They were worse than some neighborhood roads last night.  Wife sent me out around 9:30 to get some extra batteries for kids toys and some Gatorade.   Think she was trying to collect on my life insurance policies.   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Don't tell that to all the Raptor and bro-dozer drivers in DFW.....

I live mid hill on 20-25 degree slope on a secondary artery in Oak Cliff. Yesterday was quite entertaining. After a fire engine did a 2 block sideways slide down the hill they sanded it and took away my entertainment.

75208 shout out, and WTF,  to Range Rover and Jeep owners that did the sideways slide past our house yesterday. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

I lived in Boerne (Fair Oaks) when that storm hit and we ended up with 13 inches at our house.  We lived on top of a fairly big hill. We skied down it and then played football in the snow with a bunch of my buddies in the neighborhood.  It was an absolute blast. 

image.png.d9f3802499af9c89f5b25487eaa072b3.png

On 2/4/2022 at 9:25 AM, Lobo said:

I never trusted British Engineering.  But thanks for the well wishes.  

Long story and probably not worth the read for most folks, but I don't care:

Years ago a bunch of us expat oilfield trash were sitting at a bar in Jakarta telling lies and old war stories.  This one Pom said he was working on a project in some third world shithole, maybe Bangladesh but not sure, and they had to construct a bridge over a small river in order to get the rig to the drilling location.  The Pom was an engineer but not a civil engineer but was delegated with design and supervision of construction anyway.

So he does his thing, the bridge is built and it's time to move all this heavy ass equipment over his unproven bridge.  He tells the truck drivers that he has full confidence in his work and as a matter of fact he'll personally walk the bridge in front of the trucks to prove it.  Our man starts walking across the bridge and the trucks start to follow.  Once they are all about half way across, Mr. Engineer starts hauling ass in a full sprint to the other side.  According to him truck drivers were bailing out of their cabs and general mayhem erupted.

We were an easily amused bunch.  The previous six hours sitting at the bar pounding drinks helped a lot.

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Long story and probably not worth the read for most folks, but I don't care:

Years ago a bunch of us expat oilfield trash were sitting at a bar in Jakarta telling lies and old war stories.  This one Pom said he was working on a project in some third world shithole, maybe Bangladesh but not sure, and they had to construct a bridge over a small river in order to get the rig to the drilling location.  The Pom was an engineer but not a civil engineer but was delegated with design and supervision of construction anyway.

So he does his thing, the bridge is built and it's time to move all this heavy ass equipment over his unproven bridge.  He tells the truck drivers that he has full confidence in his work and as a matter of fact he'll personally walk the bridge in front of the trucks to prove it.  Our man starts walking across the bridge and the trucks start to follow.  Once they are all about half way across, Mr. Engineer starts hauling ass in a full sprint to the other side.  According to him truck drivers were bailing out of their cabs and general mayhem erupted.

We were an easily amused bunch.  The previous six hours sitting at the bar pounding drinks helped a lot.

Well darnit, I'll bite.  What happened to the actual bridge itself?  "General Mayhem"...but did it collapse or just people freaking out and ditching trucks on it before paid natives came and retrieved the vehicles?  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Well darnit, I'll bite.  What happened to the actual bridge itself?  "General Mayhem"...but did it collapse or just people freaking out and ditching trucks on it before paid natives came and retrieved the vehicles?  

It held up according to the storyteller. This assumes there was even a bridge to begin with because as first mentioned we were fucked up and telling war stories aka lies.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

I thought he started running as a joke to fuck with the truck drivers.  It's something I would have done.