2021-2022 Texas Winter Weather Thread

Hate

53 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

In Waco.   Roof ridges are already dusty with sleet/ice.  Streets already have sleet starting to stick and it’s been going here since around 2:30/3.   Supposed to get another few hours of sleet then transition to snow.    Driveway and walkway are slick.  dog is not amused.   

my yard and street looks like a salt flat.  i live in Landon Branch  on a hill right above the lake so i get good drainage, but i have no doubt that underneath the sleet is a nice, shiny layer of death.  

but the power’s on, fire’s roaring and i’m in the beginning stages of fixing a nice green chile pork stew.  

bring it…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My mom is supposed to fly into Austin from ATL around 10 tonight, and my son was supposed to pick her up and have her stay at his apartment in Austin tonight.  He lives near Guadalupe/west campus.  What are the chances the flight comes in, and what are his chances at driving from there to the airport avoiding any furked bridges or overpasses?  I’ll hang up and listen. 

Just drove home about 50 mi from work on 114 & 287. Roads were covered, but manageable. Drove 45 - 50 all the way. Only had 1 problem, some bro in a lifted F150 was scared and going about 30 IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING ROAD! Hey pick a lane and stay in it, asshole. Took a couple miles before I finally got around him. If you're scared, get off the road, pussy.

14 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

my yard and street looks like a salt flat.  i live in Landon Branch  on a hill right above the lake so i get good drainage, but i have no doubt that underneath the sleet is a nice, shiny layer of death.  

but the power’s on, fire’s roaring and i’m in the beginning stages of fixing a nice green chile pork stew.  

bring it…

Have t started cooking for myself and the Mrs yet.   Made eggs and a waffle for the oldest and are already on bottle #2 for the youngest.   Coffee is hot, Disney+ is going and I’ve got some tortilla soup in the fridge that I made last night.   Got a brisket in the fridge, some steaks from a 1/4 cow we bought late fall, and stuff to make 3-4 different soups and chili.  Ain’t complainin.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

The flight is almost certainly not coming in. I’d be surprised if your airline has not pre-canceled it. 

That’s just some top notch reply/handle synergy. So far the flight is still on track, which surprised me. Didn’t know if Austin was supposed to creep above freezing later today so roads would improve.

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Have t started cooking for myself and the Mrs yet.   Made eggs and a waffle for the oldest and are already on bottle #2 for the youngest.   Coffee is hot, Disney+ is going and I’ve got some tortilla soup in the fridge that I made last night.   Got a brisket in the fridge, some steaks from a 1/4 cow we bought late fall, and stuff to make 3-4 different soups and chili.  Ain’t complainin.   

Getting ready to head on in to work but first I'm going to die backing out of my driveway.

20220203_074930.jpg

5 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

That’s just some top notch reply/handle synergy. So far the flight is still on track, which surprised me. Didn’t know if Austin was supposed to creep above freezing later today so roads would improve.

Uh, no.  It's 28 now and will slowly go lower.  Not supposed to get above freezing until mid-afternoon tomorrow.

Edited by TexArcher

3 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Update from "The '39" (78739 for the uncool kids): Roads seem ok but I wouldn't trust them. Plenty of coffee, beer and bourbon. Putting the finishing touches to my Peggy Fleming tribute ice skating routine. I'm a little nervous about how y'all will receive it, but I'm going all the way! 

"Shanks of Glory"?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Update from "The '39" (78739 for the uncool kids): Roads seem ok but I wouldn't trust them. Plenty of coffee, beer and bourbon. Putting the finishing touches to my Peggy Fleming tribute ice skating routine. I'm a little nervous about how y'all will receive it, but I'm going all the way! 

[Steel Shank neighbors] what's johhny weir doing in shank's front yard [/Steel Shank neighbors]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

One zip code over in the "49" and its nasty but reasonable outside for now.  One of my neighbors who is an ultrarunner is lapping the neighborhood.  Its kind of slushy but as temps drop, this stuff is going to be a mess.  I keep hearing stories of hot cocoa and fireplaces and blankets but its a regular work day for me.  Womp womp.

Maybe I'm jinxing us all, but at least from where I am ('56 holla!), this doesn't seem like anything beyond a typical Central Texas ice storm.  Probably a good call to cancel school because of driving conditions, which may only get worse as temps creep lower as the day progresses into tomorrow morning.  But this won't be anything remotely like 2021.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got a roof leak, so that's going for me. Nothing crazy, but sporadic drips when it rains hard. Had one 2/3 days ago and another last night. Looks like I'm calling Rox sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Maybe I'm jinxing us all, but at least from where I am ('56 holla!), this doesn't seem like anything beyond a typical Central Texas ice storm.  Probably a good call to cancel school because of driving conditions, which may only get worse as temps creep lower as the day progresses into tomorrow morning.  But this won't be anything remotely like 2021.

That's what I'm seeing. The radar looks bad, but seem like hardly anything falling here. Roads are slush, turning to ice as it cools. Figure by afternoon tomorrow we should be good assuming we can get some sunshine.

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It wasn’t ever really predicted to be a repeat as freezing temps give way tomorrow so it’s only 36 hours of real shit

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Got a roof leak, so that's going for me. Nothing crazy, but sporadic drips when it rains hard. Had one 2/3 days ago and another last night. Looks like I'm calling Rox sooner rather than later.

Just turn off your heat and let it freeze shut. Problem solved.

• Haha 2

Precip has stopped in Nawf Central Dallas.  Flat surfaces are covered with something white, composition unknown but probably scary.  Maybe an inch deep.

A friend a few blocks over heard a pop and is powerless at the moment.  Oncor says 1PM restoration.

Google Maps is mostly yellow, with surprising strips of green.  And the red is places like LBJ that are a constant shitshow no matter the weather.

Update/Verdict:

So far, not as bad as some of the predictions/models.  Colder air got into the mid levels and at least it's sleeting vs. freezing rain - again, so far.  Not the best, not the worst.  Roads are less universally impassable than predicted (for our area).  Temps didn't plunge quite the level expected - many areas didn't hit freezing until almost dawn.  Ice models for our area have generally trended down to .10"-.25" vs. last night's .25"-.50"+.  I really don't think these totals will get bad all of the sudden - but we have a few hours to go.  Sleet generally bounces off stuff and lies on the ground, so sleet >>> freezing rain.

Precip should start slowly tailing off starting about lunchtime.  Clearing (precip, not clouds) line is NW through Junction, Brady and up - the storm is picking up speed and that clear line is moving towards us fairly quickly.  That means about 2-3 hours more of whatever we get - hopefully light.  Not to say it can't still come down after that area passes, but the concentrated part of the storm will be east of us, it's pulling in dry air west of us now.

How cold it gets overnight will depend on how much cloud cover sticks around Friday dawn.  But low 20's for sure, hopefully not much lower.

I can't see suddenly this thing ramping up much more... enough to cause enough concern to stay home for a day, but probably not a lot of damage/power issues if we can get through the morning.  As it turns out, most of the heavy rain did make it out before the freeze happened - much of the night was light for most of us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just took a walk around the block in 78749. Some ice here and there but mostly just water.  Just saw that Valentinas is opening today. Probably gonna make that my last journey on the streets for the day to grab a few Real Deal Holyfields for breakfast for the house.  

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Greg Abbott’s dance party.

Maybe he should have more, and invite Boris Johnson, because the grid has over 80KMW generation/reserve next 24 hours.  That's pretty impressive.  But they had time this time.

If the power goes off, it's not because there's not enough, or at least not a grid issue - it will be infrastructure, although the peak is expected tomorrow early morning.  If there will be rolling blackouts, it'll be early Fri. morning.  But this has been a pretty good test of equipment freezing, and so far, so good.  Of course it's only 24 hours, not 109, but it's better than the alternative.

Also, have seen where KXAN is re-upping their forecast tomorrow > freezing (it was lowered last night). Of course not everywhere will clear freezing, especially W and N areas.  But we'll see how it goes.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

If anyone in this city is without power due to rolling blackouts for even one hour, every single person in our state government should be fired.

If ice knocks down a tree limb onto a power line, that can't be helped.

But after the national embarrassment last year, which killed several Texans, if we still don't have the capacity to handle 24 hours of freezing weather, I don't even know what to say anymore except fuck these people and their profiteering.

A-fucking-men

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Will surface roads/Town Lake bridges be "passable" for the most part in 24 hours from now? 

Probably not. High traffic might help but there won’t be any sunlight or temps above freezing for like 30 hours.  I guess it’s supposed to be sunny starting at sunup tomorrow so maybe. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, we may skate by on this thing. Or not skate I guess.

Maybe I'm jinxing us all, but at least from where I am ('56 holla!), this doesn't seem like anything beyond a typical Central Texas ice storm.  Probably a good call to cancel school because of driving conditions, which may only get worse as temps creep lower as the day progresses into tomorrow morning.  But this won't be anything remotely  get to your mom’s crib?   

pffft…watch me traverse to your mom’s crib   

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s all it was ever going to be and what was being forecast.