Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

PilotsError

Those grubs turn into june bugs.

May-June-Beetles.jpg

the june bug adult is harmless. Cats love em.

The larvae will munch on roots of plants you probably like. Feed em to the chickens or (as mentioned above) use them as fishing bait.

edit: depending on geographic location, the color of the adult may be different (including an iridescent green). Different, but very similar, species.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, Lobo said:

And why do the inside of my masks, no matter whether I'm sweaty or not or the brand or whatever, usually smell like vagina?  What is happening at night under the rear-view mirror or my car?  

Way too late answer.....

Because you keep putting it over your pussy, or you are a pussy...

57 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Way too late answer.....

Because you keep putting it over your pussy, or you are a pussy...

Turns out it was the brand.  Of mask.  Not pussy.  I am actually quite brand loyal to both.  

6yo doesn't wear them to school anymore so we're resorting the box of 'em we have for her.  Then we did the adult ones from over 24 months, giveaway ones, KN, N95, surgical, cloth, etc.  Getting rid of the shitty ones and I tried on the I was using regularly back in summer of '20.  Tried one on.  Memories came flooding back of hating to wear that particular brand because of the smell.  Wife said, "Nah, we should keep him...you never know."  I said, "we're getting rid of them.  Wanna know how I know you'll agree?"  She tried it on, took a few breaths, and said, "Trash this shit before I start asking questions."  

14 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

You want to give your phone to a cop to take back to his cruiser during a traffic stop? 

The last two times I’ve been stopped, they didn’t even ask, because they were checking a computer and didn’t give a shit what I could show them.

the two times before that, a glance of dates on the screen sufficed. And all the times before then when I had a paper copy, it was immediately handed back after checking. They have never taken POI back to the cruiser.

and I had a pretty serious leadfoot-itis problem in my 20’s, with the occasional relapse.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Say I'm driving at 45 mph in 4th gear at 2,500 rpms.

Then I speed up, driving 65 mph in 5th gear at 2,500 rpms.

I assume I'm using more fuel at 65 mph, right? Or would it be the same given the engine is turning the same revs?

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Say I'm driving at 45 mph in 4th gear at 2,500 rpms.

Then I speed up, driving 65 mph in 5th gear at 2,500 rpms.

I assume I'm using more fuel at 65 mph, right? Or would it be the same given the engine is turning the same revs?

It's not that simple. At higher speeds, your auto is subjected to higher air resistance (drag) and many other thermodynamic issues are at play. I'm sure there's published data on each engine's mpg rating at various speeds. 

11 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's not that simple. At higher speeds, your auto is subjected to higher air resistance (drag) and many other thermodynamic issues are at play. I'm sure there's published data on each engine's mpg rating at various speeds. 

Momentum also comes into play, plus peak efficiency curve involving torque, rpm and HP gradients.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

We should weight the gas tank before and after to determine. We'd need a large scale. Like one you'd use for a mattress. 

We'd have to re-cabriolet it.  After your mom and your "uncles" were done with it.  

^
this.  I am baffled by this.  FWIW, the cartels aren’t Adding it to the uncut product.  It’s being added in the U.S. by American middle-men.  There is beyond zero reason for the smugglers and then the end-distributors/sellers to add this to a stimulant.  It’s being done in the middle on a large scale before it’s dispersed in a dozen different directions from myriad hubs manned by US citizens, so that it’s extremely difficult to trace.  The question is why that middle-supply chain entrepreneur(s) is electing to do this.  Just getting the fentanyl itself is enough of a security risk.  But it’s not happening south of the border.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 8:05 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Or would it be the same given the engine is turning the same revs?

engine is turning the same revs because that's the revs that balance the power generated by the air/fuel flow and the various forms of resistance on the car.  you could be towing with a much more open throttle position and still at 2500 rpm.

throttle doesn't control revs directly, it controls the volume of air and fuel that go into the engine. 

Edited by elfenix

The number of customers dying off isn't an issue.  Their consumer base is as robust as ever.  What's bizarre to me is this brings so much more heat down on the wholesale distributors...that really fucks up the business model/supply chain.  That they're allowing that to occur is the fucked up part.  A few hundred deaths nationwide isn't their concern.  They make up that revenue loss at Bonnaroo.  

That’s weird to me too. Yes I know that it is a cheap way to make somebody more high but they are killing off their customers.

This isn’t complicated. It’s not about making anyone more high. It’s straight economics.

Let’s say you’re a cartel and you normally cut your blow with 50% baking soda or whatever. And let’s assume in an 8 ball the half blow costs $10.

Then an enterprising young cartel pharmacist comes along and says hey I can buy this crazy shit from China that will allow us to drop the blow % from 50 down to 10% (gotta have some in there so it still tastes somewhat like blow) and we can add 1 grain of fentanyl (because it’s so potent) for $.05 and people will still get fucked up. So now you’ve cut your cost from $10 to $1.05 for an 8 ball.

Oh but hey, the pharmacist says, if we fuck up with our quality control and get two grains of fentanyl in there then party guy will OD and maybe die. Oh and how good is the quality control at the Chinese black market fentanyl factory anyway?

Cartel boss: who gives a fuck if they die. I just cut my cost by 90%.

Pharmacist: But it will be a different high you know…

Cartel boss: 90% cost savings dipshit! Then shoots pharmacist for being mouthy.

Same with all the fake pills. Heroin too (read an article a while back about how pissed all the junkies are because they can’t get any actual heroin anymore).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

This isn’t complicated. It’s not about making anyone more high. It’s straight economics.

Let’s say you’re a cartel and you normally cut your blow with 50% baking soda or whatever. And let’s assume in an 8 ball the half blow costs $10.

Then an enterprising young cartel pharmacist comes along and says hey I can buy this crazy shit from China that will allow us to drop the blow % from 50 down to 10% (gotta have some in there so it still tastes somewhat like blow) and we can add 1 grain of fentanyl (because it’s so potent) for $.05 and people will still get fucked up. So now you’ve cut your cost from $10 to $1.05 for an 8 ball.

Oh but hey, the pharmacist says, if we fuck up with our quality control and get two grains of fentanyl in there then party guy will OD and maybe die. Oh and how good is the quality control at the Chinese black market fentanyl factory anyway?

Cartel boss: who gives a fuck if they die. I just cut my cost by 90%.

Pharmacist: But it will be a different high you know…

Cartel boss: 90% cost savings dipshit! Then shoots pharmacist for being mouthy.

Same with all the fake pills. Heroin too (read an article a while back about how pissed all the junkies are because they can’t get any actual heroin anymore).

Well that's a shame.  I'm glad I got my partying done in the 90s and early oughts.  

So no one is getting real coke or heroin anymore at all? Wow. That would deter me from trying it right there if everything was fake. Fuck that.

I think that’s exactly the case.

I routinely try my best to scare the shut out of my 15yo with this info. And reading out loud the story of every OD death that’s in the news these days.

No pills. No powder. No matter who try’s to hand it to you at a party and how safe they tell you it is. Too. Damn. Risky.

Are recycling dumpsters behind schools and churches (for fundraising) not a thing anymore? Guessing between china not accepting our shit anymore and too many people tossing whatever into it they can't make money on it anymore.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, Bullneck said:

So . . . if something seems really bad or odd or ugly, sometimes I'll think "that's really gay."  (NTTAWWT)

Faced with similar situations, what do gay people think or say?

"That's really fucking hetero."

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

What's the difference between a state and a commonwealth?

Nothing in a legal sense. But Massachusetts, Virginia, and Pennsylvania called themselves as commonwealths (as om for the common good), to distinguish from Royal Charters appointed by the King of England after the Revolution.  Essentially telling King George to suck it

Kentucky is the other one, and probably just used it because it was part of Virginia 

On 3/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, Bullneck said:

So . . . if something seems really bad or odd or ugly, sometimes I'll think "that's really gay."  (NTTAWWT)

Faced with similar situations, what do gay people think or say?

You shouldn’t use the word “gay” to refer to things that are bad or odd or ugly. Stop doing that. It’s wrong. And your inclusion of “NTTAWT” signals that you know what you’re saying. I used to do that even when I had respected friends and colleagues who were gay. Then I realized I was wrong to say it so I stopped. That was more than 20 years ago. Get with the times, brother. 

I'd rather we stop using "retarded" to describe stuff.  Gay people can turn around and punch somebody that says "that's gay", and rightfully so.  And they have legions of people to help defend them legally and physically.  

"Retarded" basically have their immediate families, and that's it...when it comes to advocacy.  

Maybe I'm being over-sensitive.  I'm probably just being a little gay about all this...

No judgement zone, i get it.  Was just extrapolating on why, IRL, not on this thread...I think both should go away but "retarded" continuing on in our vernacular is still a head-scratcher to me.  English is a pain in the ass, as a language.  But the imperialism of those asshole Brits affords us two things---it borrows about 15% of its common vocabulary from languages around the world.  And it affords us a very rich tapestry of synonyms that allow us to easily pivot to a similar word when one falls out of favor.  

For instance, something that one might find "retarded" can now be regarded as "Boebertian"  And everybody's on the same page. Eloquent in its Germanic roots.