• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Sure, but the 3-4 time zone differences can suck.  And it's not just for games, it's for recruiting as well.  

This.  It's common for a lot of teams playing a team on the opposite coast to travel out a day early, just so they can acclimate to the time change.  I haven't seen how the new Big Ten is going to schedule conference games, but having to do this as many as 3-4 times a year seems like it would get old, particularly when teams like Washington and Oregon have to go play teams like Rutgers and Maryland.  The new Big XII will have similar issues with Arizona and Arizona State playing West Virginia and Cincinnati.

9 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Does aggy not understand that they can’t hire a coach that “fits “, someone who knows all about aggy and their glorious traditions?  Bringing in such a “fit “ means you remain in the same old rut……mediocre.  They have to hire someone  who is 180 degrees different than themselves, doesn’t give a shite about their traditions, tells them that he wants girl cheerleaders and no milkmen on the field…so, I’m not sure that coach exists.

tldr - hire Kiffin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Elko is a good DC so at least their defenses would be good. Same with Patterson

Dabo would be Jimbo 2: Ectopic Boogaloo 

Elko sounds like Charlie Strong. Good DC but our D was not as strong as it could/should have been. 

Also, Austin radio: Jim Rome is going in on Aggy and their dipshit AD. lmao 😂 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Elko sounds like Charlie Strong. Good DC but our D was not as strong as it could/should have been. 

Also, Austin radio: Jim Rome is going in on Aggy and their dipshit AD. lmao 😂 

Someone still listens to Jim Rome? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LonghornBreeder said:

Yeah, but how much of the "cult"ure is built upon their insane drive to set themselves apart from and above their big bro: "varsity"?

I'm from a family of ags. The answer is "all of it."

If it's still possible to order the "Don't Care, Got Jimbo" t-shirts, you'll be able to knock out all your Xmas shopping at once.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Wtf am I looking at?

Paywall.  Got the article?

https://wapo.st/3ui7Gph

image.thumb.png.a0e13865e92db93cdba34c3c076d7264.png

Usually, there is a logic to money. It’s a marker, a commonly understood measure of value, established by the consent of those who exchange it. It signals what’s important to people, what they treasure or need. But Texas A&M’s preposterous buyout of Jimbo Fisher, paying him around $76 million not to coach, robs dollars of meaning. It detaches them from any rationale or coherence, renders them mere tokens. Things that should mean the most are valued the least, and coin has all the worth of tiddlywinks.

The stunners. The cheers. The home runs, hat tricks and gameday magic. Don’t miss out with The Sports Moment, a newsletter for the biggest sports news.
The fevered members of the 12th Man Foundation have been hurling their oil-and-gas-sodden bucks at the Aggies football program for decades without buying a thing of real significance. They have built a locker room with recessed LED lighting; provided every comfort for their star-studded recruiting classes, including air conditioning on the practice field; and made their coach the highest paid in his realm. But none of it has made Texas A&M a factor in the championship race.

Why? A Texas fan would say, “Because they’re Aggies.” A more dispassionate answer would be that surfeit doesn’t make success. When you break the meaning of money, what you’re liable to get in return is … nothing.

Money in this era is really an abstraction, a “vocabulary of price,” according to Harvard political economist Christine Desan, author of a history of our banking system, “Making Money: Coin, Currency, and the Coming of Capitalism.” Its value is no longer realistically attached to precious material such as gold and silver. Paper money is multiplied and circulated by profit-seeking banks, which have “effectively emptied it of living content.” It has become “more interesting for what it does than is,” Desan asserts. And Texas A&M is an interesting case study of what it can — and can’t — do.

The broad outrage and derision directed at Texas A&M for its buyout of Fisher are not just based in the collective sense that a public university has such badly disordered priorities but in a perception that there is something broadly destructive in its behavior, something … bankrupting. In 2021, the school gave Fisher a ludicrous contract extension, a 10-year deal fully guaranteed at $9 million per year. By 2031, Fisher will have been paid $118.1 million for six years of fair-to-middling work, with a record of 45-25. It’s more than triple any other college coaching buyout, ever.

Money is a measure of respect, among other things. But there is something inversely contemptuous and disrespectful in Texas A&M’s profligacy, a suggestion that a college football team is no more or less a worthwhile pursuit than any other rich man’s ridiculously expensive status acquisition, such as his yacht size. Many of the school’s donors and regents, the people who hired and fired Fisher, are self-made successes in oil and gas. Yet when it comes to Texas A&M football, they invoke none of the principles that actually make for success on a team or in any other organization — such as fiscal integrity, stable values and alignment around central cultural tenets. Instead, they lose all discipline.

That’s the sure sign that they don’t respect the game or find much actual instructive or philosophical value in it. One of the things football can teach is organizational dynamics. Texas A&M apparently has learned nothing.

When you break the meaning of “value,” it creates a cascade of deteriorating values, organizationally. Fisher was paid so much that it skewed perspectives across the board. Given the size of his contract, he didn’t dare go about this in any other way but the one modeled by his employers: He had to scoop every available blue-chipper to show he was “winning” in the recruiting wars. How many times was his instinct or inclination to go for a lesser-rated but desirous kid smothered by the specter of contractual and donor expectations? How much did he forfeit chemistry for a surfeit of talent? According to ESPN, the Aggies signed 70 players ranked in the top 300 under Fisher, behind only Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State, and in 2022, they had the No. 1 recruiting class overall. And yet.

A contract such as that bleeds into everything, not just recruiting but handling grievances, allocating resources, motivating — and diagnosing problems and deciding what to do about them. It can rob you of decisional flexibility. The people who pay you tend to think they can offer you suggestions or even tell you what to do. Pretty soon, your ability to make your own assessments and cope with crisis can be compromised by the wishes of others. Is that why Fisher’s coaching performance deteriorated so significantly after his 2021 extension, despite strong recruiting? The Aggies went just 19-15 after he signed it.

“There was something just not clicking to provide confidence for everyone in the program,” Texas A&M Athletic Director Ross Bjork said. “You have to adapt; you have to evolve. I’m not going to say whether he did or didn’t, but it didn’t work.”

But it sure paid.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

To Bilbo's credit he didn't look too pleased and was in a hurry to GFO after shaking the bozo's hand......

I can't wait until I start liking Jimbo for once, I would really like it if he went to West Virginia cashed two checks and started winning Big XII championships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LonghornBreeder said:

This. Especially because the even more likely scenario after he wins is this:

-big money ags realize he has no experience as HC and get cold feet.

-eRob gets pissed and leaves

-90% of players and recruits bail on the ags

Mainly because the big targets they'd likely want are going to be in their respective CCG.

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

That is way too inspiring.. Bring me the soul crushing UGL ambiance. 

Libraries | The University of Texas at Austin

I always preferred the Life Science Library in the Tower. Fantastic reading room with an awesome ceiling, and interesting graffiti in the singleton shitter down in the stacks. 

Still no comparison with the UW Library though.

https://www.lib.utexas.edu/about/locations/life-science

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, orangebird said:

This.  It's common for a lot of teams playing a team on the opposite coast to travel out a day early, just so they can acclimate to the time change.  I haven't seen how the new Big Ten is going to schedule conference games, but having to do this as many as 3-4 times a year seems like it would get old, particularly when teams like Washington and Oregon have to go play teams like Rutgers and Maryland.  The new Big XII will have similar issues with Arizona and Arizona State playing West Virginia and Cincinnati.

Thats not even the worse for travel.

Imagine being the Miami volleyball coach and looking ahead to a Tuesday night game against Stanford!  6 hour flight, play VB for 2 hours, then another 6 hour flight. 

I always preferred the Life Science Library in the Tower. Fantastic reading room with an awesome ceiling, and interesting graffiti in the singleton shitter down in the stacks. 

If back in the day our libraries looked that this … no telling what aggy looked like. A concrete picnic table with some sticky national geographic mags?

That was my go-to once I found it.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, I think she’s designating communications or liberal arts, not computer science or engineering.

I live in Portland, OR metro. Would love for my daughter to go to UW, but not sure if I want to pay out of state tuition. She'll probably end up ot Oregon State.  I used to not have much respect for them because I automatically lumped then in as an aggy school, but they seem to be pretty strong in sciences relative to the ducks. One thing I didn't realize was that UO doesn't even have an engineering program. Corvallis is a cool college town nestled right against the coast range. Easy drive to either the coast, cascades, or Portland. 

Beavers are getting the shaft in conference realignment, they have had a lot of athletic success in various sports, especially baseball of course.  Hopefully they can keep the other schools from taking the cash with them.

Still love the UW campus though, and Seattle in general. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnotherLawyer said:

So the latest aggy rumor is that they're after Dan Campbell?

Also, a "moron of aggy" sounds appropriate, though redundant. Maybe the redundancy is, like, emphasis.

I just don't see it. He's got that team rolling right now I just can't believe he would leave with so much unfinished business. Then again he's an Aggie so logic doesn't really apply

One of my sister's kids plays a non revenue sport for Stanford (see how I phrased that to avoid the inevitable requests for pics?). They are always flying all over the Midwest and East Coast.  It's kind of like professional sports where they'll schedule a bunch of east coast teams back to back and just stay out there a few days.  Does not seem fun or helpful for grades.

3 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

One of my sister's kids plays a non revenue sport for Stanford (see how I phrased that to avoid the inevitable requests for pics?). They are always flying all over the Midwest and East Coast.  It's kind of like professional sports where they'll schedule a bunch of east coast teams back to back and just stay out there a few days.  Does not seem fun or helpful for grades.

Pics of sister or gtfo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Grande Mart said:

I live in Portland, OR metro. Would love for my daughter to go to UW, but not sure if I want to pay out of state tuition. She'll probably end up ot Oregon State.  I used to not have much respect for them because I automatically lumped then in as an aggy school, but they seem to be pretty strong in sciences relative to the ducks. One thing I didn't realize was that UO doesn't even have an engineering program. Corvallis is a cool college town nestled right against the coast range. Easy drive to either the coast, cascades, or Portland. 

Beavers are getting the shaft in conference realignment, they have had a lot of athletic success in various sports, especially baseball of course.  Hopefully they can keep the other schools from taking the cash with them.

my daughter's college choices were Washington or Texas thankfully she chose Texas to stay close to home but I'd be lying if I said I didn't influence her. I agree it's a beautiful campus in Seattle though

Edited by FtheBig12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Listened to Billy on Texags radio. Here are some basic notes 

• Lanning's total buyout is closer to $50 million all in
  • Kiffin wants the job but they don't want him (LOL)
  • Schumann won't be a candidate. Not on the Lanning/Smart track right now
  • DeBoer will get a real look but not sure if they could hire him (he has a $12 million buyout).
  • ERob could end up being a real candidate especially if they beat LSU. 

It’s Elko or Traylor.

but it’s Elko

Edited by lilMAC25

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

This scenario would be really fun to watch.  Hire ace recruiter based on one game and some "players love him" vibes.  Don't forget "he loves aggieland".   Then find out later if he actually has any real HC skills.  Profit.  

I have seen this movie before. A guy by the name of Bill Stewart at West Virginia took over when RichRod went to Michigan. The players rallied around him and won the fiesta bowl over Oklahoma, then they demanded he be the coach. The AD acquiesced, and then he went 9-4, 9-4, 9-4, and was fired three years later. 

18 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

19 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

She Goes to Stanford.   The hardest part has already been accomplished.  Grades are no longer an issue.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I like the various opinions of Aggies in all this. I have cousins on both sides of family that have become Aggies much to the embarrassment of the parents. When you’re in the first generation to go to college you can’t fuck it up by going to A&M unless you’re going to be a horse and cow doctor which none did. Not even engineers.

Anyway, I spoke with my close cousin, a former student as he didn’t graduate, but they count him, and he and his Aggie son had similar delusional opinions.

1. They both still believed Jimbo was close and just needed better players and coaches. Thought AD jumped the gun because they could see the improvement. ????

2. Not worried about the buyout as it’s not their money and it’s nothing to the rich folks. I asked them if it bothered them that it looks like a lot of it is Saudi terrorist money, or if Aggy misappropriated funds per iRS regs or state law. They hadn’t heard that and no way would Aggies take bad money. ???

3. They expect a big name home run hire. Money is no object. And in their mind it ts inconceivable anyone would turn them down.

Urban Meyer…stayed available for this gig
Bill Belichik…tired of pro game wants to go where Patriots Way lives with 12th man. ???
Dan Campbell. Aggie. Cowboy. He’ll come back. I said he’s got a shot at a Super Bowl in Detroit. No one leaves in the middle of the season willingly like Petrino did. He’s a pro coach. Never college. “Yeah but it’s a chance at a national championship.” I said he ain’t comin.
Dabo. That’s who we want. He’s Saban’s handpicked successor! ???
Kirby Smart. He’d come no question.

So much delusion they eat from Lucci and the whole Aggie cult.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Texzilla58 said:

I like the various opinions of Aggies in all this. I have cousins on both sides of family that have become Aggies much to the embarrassment of the parents. When you’re in the first generation to go to college you can’t fuck it up by going to A&M unless you’re going to be a horse and cow doctor which none did. Not even engineers.

Anyway, I spoke with my close cousin, a former student as he didn’t graduate, but they count him, and he and his Aggie son had similar delusional opinions.

1. They both still believed Jimbo was close and just needed better players and coaches. Thought AD jumped the gun because they could see the improvement. ????

2. Not worried about the buyout as it’s not their money and it’s nothing to the rich folks. I asked them if it bothered them that it looks like a lot of it is Saudi terrorist money, or if Aggy misappropriated funds per iRS regs or state law. They hadn’t heard that and no way would Aggies take bad money. ???

3. They expect a big name home run hire. Money is no object. And in their mind it ts inconceivable anyone would turn them down.

Bill Belichik…tired of pro game wants to go where Patriots Way lives with 12th man. ???
Dan Campbell. Aggie. Cowboy. He’ll come back. I said he’s got a shot at a Super Bowl in Detroit. No one leaves in the middle of the season willingly like Petrino did. He’s a pro coach. Never college. “Yeah but it’s a chance at a national championship.” I said he ain’t comin.

Do you ever give in to the urge to tell them just how delusional and full of shit they are?

I wouldn't be able to resist.

5 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Well to be completely fair we were all convinced we had saban locked up. Granted we're not as delusional as those dumbasses but we can be pretty delusional at times as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Grande Mart said:

For whatever reason my daughter isn't considering Oregon State, though she got into Oregon (and UO is already starting to throw her considerable money, whereas I think UDub will give her next to nothing).  Her grandpa (my dad) went to Oregon State, and was a pitcher for the Beavers' baseball team in the early/mid 60s.  But for some reason his granddaughter has a strong preference for Eugene.

• Hook 'Em 2