2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

@closetohumping

@closetohumping

May want to check that math Cochise  
Correct.  10.25 isn’t exactly 10 and he left off a few years.  Maybe he’s right and it’s over 8 years but please bring the data if you’re gonna make claims.  Also a difference between a top 10 average and being in the top ten for 8 straight years
venables could very well be the next stoops but stoops was an hc before 40 and Brent is pushing 50, he’s not some wunderkid.   I felt hopeless when Riley was their hc.  That feeling is gone…..for now.

@cochamps

17th in 2008 is not exactly top ten, Einstein.  Nor is 13th in 2010.  And you conveniently omitted 2004-06.  So how exactlty was he top ten every year after Mikey left, according to your own stats? A little exaggeration perhaps?

@ztejas

I'm getting 10.25 on average. What he isn't factoring in is that no one gives a shit how good OU's defenses were during a period where they routinely took it up the ass from Texas and did nothing nationally relevant but trip over their own dicks and embarass themselves (oh wait - come to think of it that's all they've done since then, too).
I mean - if Venables is trying to bring that golden-era back then I say let's let him do it. We could go for another title and maybe we won't fuck it up this time and actually win 2 or 3 like we were supposed to.

All three of you are correct!
I was wrong when I said OU defenses with Venables as the sole DC from 2004-2011 were top ten every year.
I would've done more research prior to making such a statement (@cochamps -- saying you're wrong isn't hard!)

While 17, 13, and 10.25 are all greater than 10, OU's defenses were still consistently good during that period and that was the point I was addressing.
I didn't pulled the data for you prior to 2007 for a couple of reasons:
- F+ data is only available from 2007 on (FEI started in 2007, S&P+ 2005 that I can now find)
- your fellow UT supporter had acknowledged OU's defense was good 2004-06
OU's defense was 9 in 2005, 12 in 2006. I can't find the 2004 data but they only gave up 14 points a game that year prior to the national championship debacle. So they were good then too.

Now the other stuff.
ztejas: This discussion of OU's coaches focuses on Venables. That's why the discussion is about the defense during that period. OU lost 2004 NC to USC because USC was better on both sides of the ball. They lost in 2008 to UF because of the offense. UF only got 24 pts. During the 8 yrs in question, UT had arguably their 2 best QBs ever, and still only averaged 24 points vs OU. Not bad for a points-happy period in the B12. You provide insight in many areas. I've known people that share some of your non-sports related interests and have compassion for them and you. This isn't necessary.

closetohumping: Thanks for calling me Cochise. I view advanced stats as providing context to the game I watch. OU's defenses (and UT's) were going against the best, most diverse offenses in country during that period working with great QBs and tempo. They gave up a ton of yards and sometimes many points. Advanced stats tell us OU's defense was good during that period despite what the counting stats show. I share your wait and see approach to the Venables hire and said as much on this board.

cochamps: Your ability to make grossly wrong statements yet also split hairs displays a lack of self awareness and concrete thinking that makes discussions with you unrewarding. I will put you on ignore. If you do the same, I'd appreciate it.

@JesusSweatDuck
Finally, jesus. To be clear, your fellow UT fan @cochamps made erroneous statements and then an ad hominem attack. So you called me out.
I repped you to give you more power to enforce your brilliant idea of protecting mistakes and bad behavior.

16 minutes ago, quigley said:

@closetohumping

@closetohumping

Correct.  10.25 isn’t exactly 10 and he left off a few years.  Maybe he’s right and it’s over 8 years but please bring the data if you’re gonna make claims.  Also a difference between a top 10 average and being in the top ten for 8 straight years
venables could very well be the next stoops but stoops was an hc before 40 and Brent is pushing 50, he’s not some wunderkid.   I felt hopeless when Riley was their hc.  That feeling is gone…..for now.

@cochamps

17th in 2008 is not exactly top ten, Einstein.  Nor is 13th in 2010.  And you conveniently omitted 2004-06.  So how exactlty was he top ten every year after Mikey left, according to your own stats? A little exaggeration perhaps?

@ztejas

I'm getting 10.25 on average. What he isn't factoring in is that no one gives a shit how good OU's defenses were during a period where they routinely took it up the ass from Texas and did nothing nationally relevant but trip over their own dicks and embarass themselves (oh wait - come to think of it that's all they've done since then, too).
I mean - if Venables is trying to bring that golden-era back then I say let's let him do it. We could go for another title and maybe we won't fuck it up this time and actually win 2 or 3 like we were supposed to.

I was wrong when I said OU defenses with Venables as the sole DC from 2004-2011 were top ten every year.
I would've done more research prior to making such a statement (@cochamps -- saying you're wrong isn't hard!)

While 17, 13, and 10.25 are all greater than 10, OU's defenses were still consistently good during that period and that was the point I was addressing.
- F+ data is only available from 2007 on (FEI started in 2007, S&P+ 2005 that I can now find)
OU's defense was 9 in 2005, 12 in 2006. I can't find the 2004 data but they only gave up 14 points a game that year prior to the national championship debacle. So they were good then too.

Now the other stuff.
ztejas: This discussion of OU's coaches focuses on Venables. That's why the discussion is about the defense during that period. OU lost 2004 NC to USC because USC was better on both sides of the ball. They lost in 2008 to UF because of the offense. UF only got 24 pts. During the 8 yrs in question, UT had arguably their 2 best QBs ever, and still only averaged 24 points vs OU. Not bad for a points-happy period in the B12. You provide insight in many areas. I've known people that share some of your non-sports related interests and have compassion for them and you. This isn't necessary.

closetohumping: Thanks for calling me Cochise. I view advanced stats as providing context to the game I watch. OU's defenses (and UT's) were going against the best, most diverse offenses in country during that period working with great QBs and tempo. They gave up a ton of yards and sometimes many points. Advanced stats tell us OU's defense was good during that period despite what the counting stats show. I share your wait and see approach to the Venables hire and said as much on this board.

cochamps: Your ability to make grossly wrong statements yet also split hairs displays a lack of self awareness and concrete thinking that makes discussions with you unrewarding. I will put you on ignore. If you do the same, I'd appreciate it.

@JesusSweatDuck
Finally, jesus. To be clear, your fellow UT fan @cochamps made erroneous statements and then an ad hominem attack. So you called me out.
I repped you to give you more power to enforce your brilliant idea of protecting mistakes and bad behavior.

More like punishing gooners who are on UT boards, but whatever

21 minutes ago, quigley said:

@closetohumping

@closetohumping

@cochamps

@ztejas

Now the other stuff.

@JesusSweatDuck

Fuck off.  You were wrong / lied about what you said.

I was right about what I said, that OU  defenses were not a factor on NC teams from 04-11.  

23 minutes ago, quigley said:

@closetohumping

@closetohumping

@cochamps

@ztejas

Now the other stuff.

@JesusSweatDuck

Fuck off.  You were wrong / lied about what you said.

I was right about what I said, that OU  defenses were not a factor on NC teams from 04-11.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I remember Arizona fans absolutely hating Yates as their DC. How has he been as the DB coach for the Ducks/Cal the last few years? 

Figure he's one of the dudes who's a good position coach but garbage coordinator, but someone else would know more obviously. Remember OSU fans hating Kerry Coombs as their DC at the beginning of this year especially, but he's obviously a great DB coach. Guessing a similar situation with Yates 

Just now, Vertigo said:

Jones has a great reputation, as does McGuire. They may be harder to beat in recruiting now than 2 years from now.

Sure, Jones has been around a while.  Did fine at Kansas.  McGuire has a great reputation as a HS coach.  He's never been more than a position coach in college.  And the offense is being helmed by a guy who had one amazing year at Wky and before that was washing the game towels when not calling plays for HB fucking U.

Just now, Texas Wahoo said:

I think they are getting the band back together to relive the Kingsbury era.

So now they've got an OL coach with all of 3 years at Bowling Green State and one year at WKU.  But he washed towels with Kittley at Tech.

So a first time HC with all of 5 years experience in college is filling his staff with guys who have a single year of G5 or above experience.

I bet OL prospects are sprinting to Lubbock.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So now they've got an OL coach with all of 3 years at Bowling Green State and one year at WKU.  But he washed towels with Kittley at Tech.

So a first time HC with all of 5 years experience in college is filling his staff with guys who have a single year of G5 or above experience.

So a not well established coach with limited P5 experience adding a bunch of jags to his staff… Didn’t they just fire Wells for the same setup?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Laxtonto said:

So a not well established coach with limited P5 experience adding a bunch of jags to his staff… Didn’t they just fire Wells for the same setup?

Apparently they went from offering to make Bedenbaugh the highest paid OL coach in college football - to finding a guy at the dollar store.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This smells like a Tom Herman, hiring all my buddies, staff

• Hook 'Em 3

Joey Mac is going to make in his first year what it took him 30+ years of coaching HS ball. He’s a smart guy but he’s thinking micro when he should be thinking macro. He’s not going to last as long as Dodge did

15 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I think they are getting the band back together to relive the Kingsbury era.

Remind me again... how many years in a row did Kliff's teams sweep the Big 12 and get into the playoffs? I'm sure they won it all at least half of those times. 

Just now, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Damn.  I thought McGuire was a really good hire.  The staff he is putting together has me questioning that opinion. 

This is worse that Herman and is closing in the level of when Dodge was hired at UNT bad.

How can he have this few legit contacts for a P5 coaching staff job?

• Hook 'Em 1