2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

5 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

7 national championships, but surly finds a way to criticize saban. L O L. Makes you wonder if God decided to coach Texas we would bitch about his staff hires. 

It is said he created us in his image. I imagine his first coaching staff would resemble TH's. So yeah, we would bitch.

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

7 national championships, but surly finds a way to criticize saban. L O L. Makes you wonder if God decided to coach Texas we would bitch about his staff hires. 

So because he’s won 7 titles, it’s impossible for him to ever make a bad decision now?

I guess that’s about the quality of logic I’d expect from someone with your posting history. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I mean why did he pick Mary?  She hasn't even had a kid before.....  What is he thinking?  I give him 2, 3 years tops and we'll all be looking for a new God.

17 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Very fair to criticize a bad decision, because it was bad.  But, I can respect that Saban doesn't fuck around with mistakes sometimes either.  How many times have I (and others I am sure) seen a coordinator/assistant here that we knew was shit, but somehow they are still back the following year?

41 points a game with BoB, no credit to Lanning and Georgia playing a damn good game, they were without their 2 best WR’s for most of the game, and the fact that playing somebody twice in the span of two months is fucking difficult. They went to the national championship game yet again, and their defense regressed slightly from previous years. How was it a bad hire? 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, UTDD said:

Very fair to criticize a bad decision, because it was bad.  But, I can respect that Saban doesn't fuck around with mistakes sometimes either.  How many times have I (and others I am sure) seen a coordinator/assistant here that we knew was shit, but somehow they are still back the following year?

Which is why no one here is going out of our way to shit on Saban...he made a bad hire. He's also going to fix that mistake immediately. We're shitting on BoB. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

41 points a game with BoB, no credit to Lanning and Georgia playing a damn good game, they were without their 2 best WR’s for most of the game, and the fact that playing somebody twice in the span of two months is fucking difficult. They went to the national championship game yet again, and their defense regressed slightly from previous years. How was it a bad hire? 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401282071

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401282103

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401282146

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401282120

5 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

The only thing that would make this post more predictable is if the last sentence was literally "Winning is hard."

• Haha 5

Just about to post that there were people defending the hire in the first place.  It was a bad hire for many reasons besides the reason that BoB sucks.  

Edited by RollLeft

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Take your stupid leading questions and shove them up your ass. 

"Which OC had two more losses in 2021 than in 2020?" 

We can all play "stupid questions to frame our arguments" game. 

So him being the position coach of the QB who won a heisman doesn't help his defense of being an OK hire? Or his offense averaging 40 points a game? They gave up 41 points to a&m or he'd be the OC of a 14-1 team. I understand everybody hates Obrien but this is like ole quigley trying to tell us oklahoma's offense won't change much from Riley to Venables. It's bullshit. As a NFL GM he sucks balls, but as an OC he is pretty good. Not great like Kiffin or Sark, but good. 

19 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Who coached Bryce Young this year? 

are you serious?

BoB is very much not a great offensive mind or coordinator. This is magnified by the fact that he doesn't really learn much or make changes across the board.

Williams hurt his knee at the start of the 2nd quarter. he finished with the 2nd most receiving yards in the game.

They didn't do much to change gameplan after Williams got hurt. he made the same mistakes as he did in the A&M game (their only other loss.)

Let's put it this way: I don't think anyone believes that they lose the A&M game (by 3 points) if Sark is the OC. I think they win the game if Sark is the OC in the NCG. poor play calls, poor in game changes, poor usage of existing players even after things changed...

BoB was a less than good hire. that was magnified by him replacing a guy who is a fucking good offensive mind.

Joel Klatt touches on it here a good bit: https://omny.fm/shows/the-ticket-top-10/hardline-joel-klatt-season-finale

if coaching a heisman winner means you are a good coach, why didn't Greg Davis go on to greener pastures after coaching VY? or Colt?

i was unaware that literally anyone thought BoB was a great hire - and we will see that Saban agrees when he is processed like Valai.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Climbing the hill to defend BoB ???

giphy.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 2

So him being the position coach of the QB who won a heisman doesn't help his defense of being an OK hire? Or his offense averaging 40 points a game? They gave up 41 points to a&m or he'd be the OC of a 14-1 team. I understand everybody hates Obrien but this is like ole quigley trying to tell us oklahoma's offense won't change much from Riley to Venables. It's bullshit. As a NFL GM he sucks balls, but as an OC he is pretty good. Not great like Kiffin or Sark, but good. 

do you think he is the one who coached Bryce Young up or think Bryce Young isn't really fucking good and would have been fine if the QB coach was AJ Milwee with Sark as the OC?

this is nowhere close to Quigley's dumb comment.

we can say that BoB was not a great hire from a schematic or offensive mind perspective and be right. we can say the offense was good this year (but hard not to be when you have Bryce Young, Brian Robinson and that RB room's talent, 2 of the best WR in the country, etc) while also saying that his weaknesses cost them at least 1 and maybe 2 games this year (games they lost)

they struggled against every good defense they played this year (A&M = 3 point loss, Florida = 2 point win, LSU = 6 points, Arky = 6, Auburn = 2) with the exception of the first UGA game...where they had a 67 yard TD pass, a 55 yd TD pass and a 42 yd Pick 6.

i can agree he is fine as an OC. but he was a shit hire (when does Saban typically settle for "ok"?), and was carried by the incredible players under him, not by the scheme, not by the in game adjustments, not by what he brought to the table.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Climbing the hill to defend BoB ???

giphy.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Lmao. It was disputing that he was a bad hire. It's devolved into me being a BoB fan boy. Which is typical on Surly. I don't think he's great, above average, or bad. I think he's average as an OC. His years with the patriots were solid, a couple of the Texans offenses were good, he did a few surprising things with Matt McGloin and Hackenberg that were impressive for the talent level. The dude is solid but not remarkable. That was my point. If Saban asked belichik for a reference and got a good one does that make saban dumb? That's all I was getting at. 

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

do you think he is the one who coached Bryce Young up or think Bryce Young isn't really fucking good and would have been fine if the QB coach was AJ Milwee with Sark as the OC?

this is nowhere close to Quigley's dumb comment.

we can say that BoB was not a great hire from a schematic or offensive mind perspective and be right. we can say the offense was good this year (but hard not to be when you have Bryce Young, Brian Robinson and that RB room's talent, 2 of the best WR in the country, etc) while also saying that his weaknesses cost them at least 1 and maybe 2 games this year (games they lost)

they struggled against every good defense they played this year (A&M = 3 point loss, Florida = 2 point win, LSU = 6 points, Arky = 6, Auburn = 2) with the exception of the first UGA game...where they had a 67 yard TD pass, a 55 yd TD pass and a 42 yd Pick 6.

i can agree he is fine as an OC. but he was a shit hire (when does Saban typically settle for "ok"?), and was carried by the incredible players under him, not by the scheme, not by the in game adjustments, not by what he brought to the table.

He also has not learned anything from his time at Houston on red zone offense.  You don't play for FGs. 

8 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Greg Davis was the position coach when Vince Young torched the world. You can give him credit, I'm sure Vince would too, but discerning people know better. 

Everyone hates Bill O'Brien because he has a notorious, NOTORIOUS reputation as a stubborn asshole going all the way back to Penn St., and extremely visible during his time in Houston, with the exact same criticisms of being stupid, unimaginative, and an arrogant prick. The guy who Deshaun Watson mocked repeatedly in between tug jobs. The guy who traded away Hopkins for some chicken feed. Which is why everyone here laughed out loud and facepalmed when Saban hired him, the rare misstep that we all saw coming from miles away. 

8 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I understand everybody hates Obrien but this is like ole quigley trying to tell us oklahoma's offense won't change much from Riley to Venables.

This sentence says something, but I'm not sure it says what you think it is saying. You're quigly here. They changed from a good OC and playcaller to Bill O'Brien and they promptly lost more games with conceivably greater talent at QB. You don't get to tout Heisman Winner and then imply it's a huge dropoff in talent at the position Bill O'Brien coaches, chooch. Lets assume there's some percentage of fairly intelligent alabama fans, even if a small one. Nevertheless UNIVERSALLY they all want O'Brien canned and sent away, and they have consistently all fucking season, not just after the title game. There's probably a reason for that. Or do you want to say it's lack of talent on the roster?

Where are you getting this "He's pretty good as an OC" bullshit, exactly? Other than your ass. He's been a stand alone OC for exactly 4 whole seasons, 6 if you count his two years as a HC at Penn St. We'll skip the time as HC of the Texans, although if you want to include their deplorable performance, I'm happy to include them too. 

2001 Ga Tech - 8-5 and averaged 31.5 points a game.
2005 Duke - 1-10 and averaged 16 points a game.
***At this point, homeboys joins the patriots and works his way up to one season as an OC there, which he parlays to the Penn St. Job***
2011 NE Patriots - NFL points don't translate to CFB. But it got him a job at Penn St after making the Super Bowl
2012 Penn St. - 8-4 and averaged 29 points per game. Fun fact, they went 0-2 losing to two MAC teams and scoring less than 20 points. But they also had scholarship issues thanks to JoPa and Sandusky, if I remember correctly.
2013 Penn St. - 7-5. Ah, the year two improvement step back. Averaging an almost identical 28.6 points per game. 

Then we have this year at Bama. 48.4, despite having a HEISMAN winning QB and the consistently top level talent in college football, he managed to score 8.5 less points per game. So tell me again, sir, exactly where you're coming up with this notion that he is a "pretty good" OC? Because everything in his fucking resume screams "mediocre to flat out shitty." 

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Lmao. It was disputing that he was a bad hire. It's devolved into me being a BoB fan boy. Which is typical on Surly. I don't think he's great, above average, or bad. I think he's average as an OC. His years with the patriots were solid, a couple of the Texans offenses were good, he did a few surprising things with Matt McGloin and Hackenberg that were impressive for the talent level. The dude is solid but not remarkable. That was my point. If Saban asked belichik for a reference and got a good one does that make saban dumb? That's all I was getting at. 

You realize that you're questioning Saban with this, right? He is kicking O'Brien to the curb. 

So the only thing you've been right about on this thread is that there's a fucking moron questioning Saban. But it's you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

This is a far cry from "pretty good OC" and "good hire" you were espousing earlier.

• Haha 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

This is a far cry from "pretty good OC" and "good hire" you were espousing earlier.

Obrien has been hired as OC by the two greatest football coaches in history. They both got it wrong? Belichik and Saban have the same weakness when it comes to asshole, mediocre, dick heads who don't know what they are doing? I guess man. My bad. 

Obrien has been hired as OC by the two greatest football coaches in history. They both got it wrong? Belichik and Saban have the same weakness when it comes to asshole, mediocre, dick heads who don't know what they are doing? I guess man. My bad. 

Yes, they both got it wrong. And they realized it after one year with him as OC so they told him to find something else to do. Do you think you know more than those two after a year watching him work? This is the dumbest performance on this board so far this year and that's already saying a lot. You've surpassed the people struggling to understand class limits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Feel free to respond to my post citing actual records and statistics about his offensive acumen in college. 

I can tell you what we all know Belichik does value, and that's continuity and guys who know him and his system. O'Brien was hired as an OA by Belichik in 2007. And he worked his way up to WR coach, QB coach, and then OC/QB coach. Which was a year after I believe Belichek served as the OC after McDaniels left, but I could be mistaken. So basically, he stuck around long enough to get a shot, then was told to piss off to Penn State. 

I remember Belichik speaking very highly about Tom Herman as well after he visited to speak on campus. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

if coaching a heisman winner means you are a good coach, why didn't Greg Davis go on to greener pastures after coaching VY? or Colt?`

Point of order...  actually... two points of order...

1. Neither VY nor Colt won a Heisman.

2. Greg Davis easily put up 40ppg without Alabama talent at every position, and put up 50ppg when he had the talent.

Carry on.

1 hour ago, mwaadeeb said:

Serious question about Greg Davis. For all his nauseating faults, does he deserve credit for at least implementing if not adapting/designing the basic RPO (?) structure that let Vince be Vince? 

Our offense wasn't really an RPO structure with Vince. It was a read option based offense and he just happened to bail us out of a ton of shitty plays with his legs. One thing I will give GDGD credit for is adapting to the spread offense with Vince from the pro style one that Simms and Applewhite ran. Then he adapted again to an air raid style for Colt. In all of those scenarios we had some of the top offenses in the country. As maddening as he could be to watch, he was still a plus OC. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Point of order...  actually... two points of order...
1. Neither VY nor Colt won a Heisman.
2. Greg Davis easily put up 40ppg without Alabama talent at every position, and put up 50ppg when he had the talent.

Carry on.

Point of order……..

Back out those special teams and defensive points scored.

Yeah, I know same for Bama but just wanted to comment cause you were too positive towards my feelings for Greg.

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

there is a difference between Bill Obrien in 2011 and OBrien in 2021. BOB was an OC for 1 year with Belichek. He seemed to do a decent job that year. The defense was much better this year  #6 in FEI compared to #21 last year (total defense 304.1 per vs 352.2).  The real question for Bama this year is what happened to the run game.

2019: 163.54, 5.03 per

2020: 183.46, 5.00

2021: 150.0, 4.11

Almost a yard per carry difference is a huge drop off. Even the Pats went from 110.2 rushing per under BoB to 136.5 the year after. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mwaadeeb said:

Serious question about Greg Davis. For all his nauseating faults, does he deserve credit for at least implementing if not adapting/designing the basic RPO (?) structure that let Vince be Vince? 

39 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Our offense wasn't really an RPO structure with Vince. It was a read option based offense and he just happened to bail us out of a ton of shitty plays with his legs. One thing I will give GDGD credit for is adapting to the spread offense with Vince from the pro style one that Simms and Applewhite ran. Then he adapted again to an air raid style for Colt. In all of those scenarios we had some of the top offenses in the country. As maddening as he could be to watch, he was still a plus OC. 

What Vertigo said.

And I think GD was unfairly scapegoated for our 5-7 season in 2010, after Mack had forced a run-heavy offense down his throat following the loss to Alabama, when we lacked a suitable offensive line and had a rising starter who spent his high school career and his freshman year running the spread.

Greg Davis could make me pull my hair out, and a lot of his success from 2004 though 2009 was two incredible QBs making him look good.  But Mack fucked him in 2010.

• Hook 'Em 3