2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, they both got it wrong. And they realized it after one year with him as OC so they told him to find something else to do. Do you think you know more than those two after a year watching him work? This is the dumbest performance on this board so far this year and that's already saying a lot. You've surpassed the people struggling to understand class limits.

And part of what makes Belichick and Saban great is their willingness to take swift corrective action.  They are performance and results driven.  BoB, Valai, etc. did not produce the requisite results - bye!

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

And part of what makes Belichick and Saban great is their willingness to take swift corrective action.  They are performance and results driven.  BoB, Valai, etc. did not produce the requisite results - bye!

Exactly. Being great doesn't mean they're perfect, but it does mean when something or someone isn't working they're willing and able to cut them loose swiftly. That's how you stay great. 

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, South Austin said:

What Vertigo said.

And I think GD was unfairly scapegoated for our 5-7 season in 2010, after Mack had forced a run-heavy offense down his throat following the loss to Alabama, when we lacked a suitable offensive line and had a rising starter who spent his high school career and his freshman year running the spread.

Greg Davis could make me pull my hair out, and a lot of his success from 2004 though 2009 was two incredible QBs making him look good.  But Mack fucked him in 2010.

Did Mack make sweet, poor Greg call a play action pass on 3rd and 17 from our own 5 yard line, down to Iowa State at home with time running out? 

I don’t actually disagree that Mack did Davis any favors in 2010, but Davis was an idiot who couldn’t synchronize his play calls from one snap to the next. 

Nonetheless, the biggest issues leading to the downfall of the Mack/Davis twinship were:

1) Pure lazy recruiting across the board starting as soon as Texas won the NC

and

2) Giving Rape Gilbert and his son a three year window of being the only QB recruited. 

Davis was directly involved with both of those problems and he was the driver on item 2. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Was that some other Greg Davis at Tulane, Arkansas, and Iowa when he actually didn't drastically out talent most opponents? 

Arkansas?  He came to Texas from North Carolina with prior work at Tulane and subsequent at Iowa, but I recall any stint at Arkansas.

43 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I don’t fault him for trading Hopkins. You don’t necessarily need elite WRs to win in the NFL. I fault him for trading him for a broke down RB with a worse contract.

I know you’re not defending him, but what was the last NFL team to win it all without an elite wide receiver?  I can’t think of one.

BoB failed twice with the Hopkins trade:  first because he traded a player for a personal reason because the player did not respect his coaching style and quality (which was justified on Hopkins’s part) and second was trading that player, who was also your best player, for meager returns.

Hubris and incompetence.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

I know you’re not defending him, but what was the last NFL team to win it all without an elite wide receiver?  I can’t think of one.

BoB failed twice with the Hopkins trade:  first because he traded a player for a personal reason because the player did not respect his coaching style and quality (which was justified on Hopkins’s part) and second was trading that player, who was also your best player, for meager returns.

Hubris and incompetence.

Super bowl LIV unless you consider Hill as elite (I don't but I'm open for debate)

Super Bowl LIII Patriots - but they had Brady

Super Bowl LII Eagles

5 minutes ago, Fico said:

I would add:

Super Bowl 50: Denver

49 New England

48 Seattle

47 Baltimore

46 New York Giants

Clearly a dominant WR is not key here...

Those are good points.  My only caveat is that you have to go back 6+ years and the current game places a much higher emphasis on passing.

15 minutes ago, hook me said:

Super bowl LIV unless you consider Hill as elite (I don't but I'm open for debate)

Super Bowl LIII Patriots - but they had Brady

Super Bowl LII Eagles

I think we would have to disagree that Hill, Edelman (or Gronk), and healthy Alshon/Ertz aren’t elite.  I am moving the goalposts with the tight ends though.

1 hour ago, Shonen said:

Arkansas?  He came to Texas from North Carolina with prior work at Tulane and subsequent at Iowa, but I recall any stint at Arkansas.

Well, Wikipedia and Google exist for a reason. I believe some folks think a Greg Davis called game for Arkansas was one of the worst OC performances they’ve ever seen. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

Those are good points.  My only caveat is that you have to go back 6+ years and the current game places a much higher emphasis on passing.

I think we would have to disagree that Hill, Edelman (or Gronk), and healthy Alshon/Ertz aren’t elite.  I am moving the goalposts with the tight ends though.

If you're going to sit there and try to tell me that Edelman & Jeffery are elite then we should just drop this here because we have very different definitions of elite.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Obrien has been hired as OC by the two greatest football coaches in history. They both got it wrong? Belichik and Saban have the same weakness when it comes to asshole, mediocre, dick heads who don't know what they are doing? I guess man. My bad. 

he is so good he lasted literally 1 season at both jobs!

Saban is processing him and the play calling is literally why they lost two games this year, with a better OC they win both games.

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

Saban is processing him and the play calling is literally why they lost two games this year, with a better OC they win both games.

BoB should have been fired on the spot for his play calling on Bama's last drive against aggy.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, texifornia said:

There is no tangent this board likes more than Greg Davis. Cheese, admissions, Russian hookers, none of them hold a candle to how often he comes up and at at what length people talk about him. Bunch of fucking masochists.

Admissions sound pretty boring.

(Edit: honest typo #noracist)

Edited by mwaadeeb

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

There is no tangent this board likes more than Greg Davis. Cheese, admissions, Russian hookers, none of them hold a candle to how often he comes up and at at what length people talk about him. Bunch of fucking masochists.

You left out Simms/Applewhite. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

He called plays for the patriots for 3 years before taking a head coaching job at Penn state. I said over and over that I think he’s just plain ole good as an OC and he replaced a flat out fucking wizard in Sark. The poor bastard that has to follow saban at bama will feel and look the same way. Mediocre when compared to greatness but through a normal lens probably not bad. 6th ranked offense in the country is solid. I’m fine with stopping this conversation though, waste of time and that’s my fault. 

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, Wikipedia and Google exist for a reason. I believe some folks think a Greg Davis called game for Arkansas was one of the worst OC performances they’ve ever seen. 

You got me. He was quite the journeyman prior to his stint with Texas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Davis_(American_football_coach)

21 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

He called plays for the patriots for 3 years before taking a head coaching job at Penn state. I said over and over that I think he’s just plain ole good as an OC and he replaced a flat out fucking wizard in Sark. The poor bastard that has to follow saban at bama will feel and look the same way. Mediocre when compared to greatness but through a normal lens probably not bad. 6th ranked offense in the country is solid. I’m fine with stopping this conversation though, waste of time and that’s my fault. 

Just stop

7358A37A-9665-4804-814A-860CB8C5C33C.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

So, hopping back to the Patterson Position, as we see below, tomorrow is the “Earliest Start Date.”  I suspect we’ll get official word Monday. 

Job Posting Title:  Special Assistant to the Head Coach

Hiring Department:  Intercollegiate Athletics

Position Open To:  All Applicants

Weekly Scheduled Hours:   40

FLSA Status:  Exempt

Earliest Start Date:  Jan 16, 2022

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Are you sure that’s him? Name’s not ringing a bell.

That’s because he’s not there anymore.

They’ve got some young white guy who won a National Championship at a college in Alabama and then was drafted into the NFL.

And before that they had a pimp who won a National Championship at a college in Alabama and then was drafted into the NFL.

That other guy hasn’t been around for a while.

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So are we really rolling with Brandon Harris or waiting until after second signing period?

Yes he was convinced to not take the Temple job so he could be canned a month later. We're allowed to live in reality. 

• Hook 'Em 2