2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Gary Patterson doing booster relations is not something I saw coming. GP can give away autographed game used sweat towels for box level donors.   

That’s because it’s not happening and FCB is a moron.

Right now, we know Sark is an elite OC. Every other part of him being a good HC is either unknown or worse. The optimistic case for this situation is Patterson really does want to step back and assess his career for a time and is content with an off-field role where he helps Sark learn the other aspects of being a HC and helps the defense make major improvements in scheme  and personnel.

The pessimistic case is Patterson is a raging asshole who thinks he knows best and will cause all sorts of management and personnel nightmares that Sark is clearly not capable of handling. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Right now, we know Sark is an elite OC. Every other part of him being a good HC is either unknown or worse. The optimistic case for this situation is Patterson really does want to step back and assess his career for a time and is content with an off-field role where he helps Sark learn the other aspects of being a HC and helps the defense make major improvements in scheme  and personnel.

The pessimistic case is Patterson is a raging asshole who thinks he knows best and will cause all sorts of management and personnel nightmares that Sark is clearly not capable of handling. 

So, what you're saying is...

The optimistic case is Sark doesn't know what he's doing, and can only be unfucked if GP helps him.

The pessimistic case is Sark doesn't know what he's doing, and GP is going to make this a bigger clusterfuck.

I like Hop Doddy fries and shakes. I haven't been since covid though and it has probably been 4 years since I've had their shakes.
I used to go to Cliff's off Fountainview in Houston. I'm sure it has changed since 20 years ago when I last ate there.

In Houston:

Lankfords (mentioned up thread somewhere),
Becks Prime, with queso for the fries,
And Prince’s.

Fight me
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/9/2022 at 9:36 AM, Huckleberry said:

Most of this opinion is because y'all have gotten older and have experienced better food. So fast food seems more like it really is, which is not exactly culinary heaven. The younger you are the better fast food burgers seem. 

It's the IDGAF service as much as anything else. Every Whataburger within reasonable distance of where I spend the majority of my time (I live near Love Field) is staffed by IDGAF employees. Whataburger's service is only marginally better than Popeye's, which might be the absolute worst on the IDGAF scale.

On 1/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, Thiefery said:

When I was in high school at Crockett in Austin, we had a short stop across the street.  Always remember that those burgers hit the spot and my budget. Never been to another Short Stop since that one closed.

We had a Short Stop in SA when I was in HS. Fantastic burger. It was either there or Sombrero Rosa, which kicked Taco C's ass BTW, where teenage me was spending his weekly allowance money on fast food.

Just now, General Specific said:

In Houston:

And Prince’s.

Fight me

Beck's Prime was pretty good back in the day. I assume Pappas or Goode Company have a burger joint and it is probably solid.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, I'm sure nothing has changed in booster involvement from /checks notes/ 3 athletic directors ago. I'm also sure that Kelsey learned everything there is to know from what I am sure her massive responsibilities were as what I assume was an unpaid intern. Just great fucking analysis there, Chip, you fucking out of control drinking and gambling fuck. 

And, I guess we should just forget about Mack Pogue, who gave Duvall his job.

20 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

If you remember Holiday House, the original owner's daughter now runs a food truck with Holiday House burgers.

Pretty damn good burger.  I'm not sure if it's as good as the original, but maybe it's been too long for me to remember faithfully.

https://lonosketo.com/

25065151_ScreenShot2022-01-10at10_50_16AM.thumb.png.97251a44f20ba3197703af3ea804120f.png

Always remember their Barton Springs Rd location with the alligator (name was Charlie?) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, fuck chip brown. That being said, if you remove the "out of control" part, it reads to me like a personal welcome.

I prefer to think of the phrase "out of control" as a relative adjective personally. It just means whatever I need it to in a given situation. Constantly checking the recruiting board to witness the last couple of weeks updates knowing there would be no substance? Definitely out of control for me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Gary Patterson doing booster relations is not something I saw coming. GP can give away autographed game used sweat towels for box level donors.   

Yeah Gare -- get those BMD's outside sitting in those SEZ Seats and pass out towels... 😋

40 minutes ago, General Specific said:

In Houston:

And Prince’s.

Fight me

Prince's is down to one location in the clubhouse at the Sharpstown Golf Course. Their hours are spotty, like somebody didn't show up for work so they're closed for the day kind of spotty, so I would call ahead. 

Becks Prime slams. I don't think anybody will fight you on that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

So, what you're saying is...

The optimistic case is Sark doesn't know what he's doing, and can only be unfucked if GP helps him.

The pessimistic case is Sark doesn't know what he's doing, and GP is going to make this a bigger clusterfuck.

Gentlemen this is Texas we are discussing. You can take the optimistic case and toss it into the most convenient refuse containment receptacle.  

let’s deal with worst case and minuscule  improvement from worst case. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Right now, we know Sark is an elite OC. Every other part of him being a good HC is either unknown or worse.

Not really true.  We know about him as a head coach because he has a head coaching record at two different Power 5 schools.  The question -- as many have noted -- is whether Sark's sobriety, experience, and maturity since those head coaching jobs will help produce a different and better outcome as a head coach at Texas.  So far, not so good.

1 hour ago, General Specific said:

In Houston:

And Prince’s.

Fight me

Helluva list.  Christian's Tailgate also used to have an amazing burger, but I haven't been back since I moved away.  

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 11:53 PM, LTtxfan said:

All three closed now...   DAMN !!!

image.png.8d3ee75064be466d9132284cdd647020.png

frisco.0.0.jpg

huts.0.0.jpg

Another “gone but not forgotten “ is Mad Dog & Beans…😕😥✊🏻

Add to it, the OG Al’s Hamburgers in Arlington. The drive in- Not the strip center joint.
Pour one out for all these joints.

Drink Pour One Out GIF by Nas

And showing DFW some love on the burger front-> Keller’s Drive In is a tasty burger and the OG Kincaid’s on Collinwood/Camp Bowie in Funky Town/Town o’the Cow…aka “The Fort”…all the other locations pale. (🖕🏻 southlake😂)

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, I'm sure nothing has changed in booster involvement from /checks notes/ 3 athletic directors ago. I'm also sure that Kelsey learned everything there is to know from what I am sure her massive responsibilities were as what I assume was an unpaid intern. Just great fucking analysis there, Chip, you fucking out of control drinking and gambling fuck. 

My man went for the jugular 

4DF90DE3-A1DB-477B-974F-5A989B076B84.gif

Add Stanton's City Bites to your Houston list..

And Pappas burger is solid.

Miller's Cafe in the downtown tunnels has a good one.

I miss Charlie's Old Fashioned Hambergers

I was thinking about Holiday House while readingthe thred yesterday.  That was a good old school burger.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

obviously patterson is a great hire, but part of me wants to tell him to fuck off.  hes been negatively recruiting against us for over 20 years.  Fuck that guy and his golden parachute that we seem to be giving him. 

Golden parachute?  Pretty sure TCU is covering that.  I just think the guy still wants to coach and not leave a place he's lived for over 2 decades.  All these grandiose conspiracy theories about fucking over TCU and meddling are purely fanfiction.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Golden parachute?  Pretty sure TCU is covering that.  I just think the guy still wants to coach and not leave a place he's lived for over 2 decades.  All these grandiose conspiracy theories about fucking over TCU and meddling are purely fanfiction.

Plus he was directly recruiting against us so of course he went negative against Texas, but he's not the head coach at TCU anymore.  Fuck him for that but now he's helping us get better.

Besides, anything he said probably wasn't a lie - our play on the field for the last 12 years was all the recruitment ammo other schools needed. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

i agree with everything you said. hes not sticking it to tcu or sabotaging anyone, i just think that after the last 21 years there was 1 place that he hated above all others and it was no secret to anyone that it  was The University of Texas.  

12 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

i agree with everything you said. hes not sticking it to tcu or sabotaging anyone, i just think that after the last 21 years there was 1 place that he hated above all others and it was no secret to anyone that it was The University of Texas.  

I'd argue he hated the gym more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, General Specific said:

In Houston:

And Prince’s.

Fight me

In my humble opinion, the best burger in houston was at "Houston's" on Westheimer.  They closed that location and I believe its on Kirby.  But man, that burger was something else...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

In my humble opinion, the best burger in houston was at "Houston's" on Westheimer.  They closed that location and I believe its on Kirby.  But man, that burger was something else...

This reminds me; I saw a Houston’s while in New freaking Jersey on business.

I mean New Jersey of all places?? 

16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

There used to be one across from SNA airport.

I want to say they are owned by a restaurant group.  Maybe Hillstone?  Not a ton of stores but that one on Westheimer used to be one of my favs.  Real old school atmosphere.  Dress code.  Low lighting.  Private tables.  Music low.  Old school steakhouse vibe.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

I want to say they are owned by a restaurant group.  Maybe Hillstone?  Not a ton of stores but that one on Westheimer used to be one of my favs.  Real old school atmosphere.  Dress code.  Low lighting.  Private tables.  Music low.  Old school steakhouse vibe.

I just checked.  It's still in Irvine, but I "mis-remembered" the location.  It's on Jamboree, the next exit down from SNA.

21 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

This reminds me; I saw a Houston’s while in New freaking Jersey on business.

I mean New Jersey of all places?? 

Despite the name, it started in Nashville in 1976 (the founders were from Texas). Ironically it no longer exists there or in Houston under that name. The Kirby location is now Hillstone, which operates restaurants under many names, including Houstons. Weird. I've heard conflicting stories about J Alexanders, which seems like a clone, regarding who borrowed from whom.

Bottom line is that I've always been a fan. Yes, very good burger, but that Hawaiian Ribeye is what brings me back.