2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

21 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Y'all are going to far better Whataburgers than I've ever been to, or far worse In-n-outs than the ones I've been going to, or both. I've not had a Whataburger that wasn't grease-soaked cardboard compared with the average In-n-out double. But then, I've never been to In-n-out in Texas.

The fries... are inconsistent. When you get them on a good day, In-n-Out fries are the best fries you've ever eaten. Most of the  time, they're . . . pretty bad.

Sounds pretty consistent 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

5 Guys

5 guys has to be my favorite national burger chain. It’s a greasy sloppy mess that takes years off my life with every bite but hot damn it’s good. The Cajun fries are also fantastic and they give you enough to murder a small horse. I can get behind that

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

5 guys has to be my favorite national burger chain. It’s a greasy sloppy mess that takes years off my life with every bite but hot damn it’s good. The Cajun fries are also fantastic and they give you enough to murder a small horse. I can get behind that

Yep 5 guys is top tier but they are not “fast food” it’s cooked to order and perfect every time 

14 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I am in the mood for 5 Guys about once a year. If it's that moment it's nirvana, but if I'm not in that exact mood it's the bad kind of sloppy greasy mess. I can't imagine wanting it on any kind of semi-frequent basis.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Yep 5 guys is top tier but they are not “fast food” it’s cooked to order and perfect every time 

Lol. Ok bud. So “cooked to order” and you think they’re efficient/consistent means it’s not fast food? They have counter service, no waiters, and they’re predominantly in strip centers. It’s fast food, bud. Chick fil a is pretty consistent too, I guess they’re not fast food despite double drive thru lines that snake around their buildings. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. Ok bud. So “cooked to order” and you think they’re efficient/consistent means it’s not fast food? They have counter service, no waiters, and they’re predominantly in strip centers. It’s fast food, bud. Chick fil a is pretty consistent too, I guess they’re not fast food despite double drive thru lines that snake around their buildings. 

It takes 20 minutes to get your food, that is not fast food. 

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Chick-fil-A is great as a go to where you know what you're going to get. Consistent as you would say. Only bad thing is that the chicken has been getting smaller and smaller than what they used to offer.  They should also be commended for their efficiency. Yes, those double drive thru lines snake around the building, but damnit if they don't get you in and out quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

It takes 20 minutes to get your food, that is not fast food. 

5 Guys themselves seem to disagree with your take:

From Five Guys

"Family owned and operated, Five Guys is one of the leading fast casual burger restaurants in the world, offering a classic take on burgers, hot dogs, fries, milkshakes and more. Our business started in 1986 with a fanatical focus on quality ingredients, clean restaurants and exceptional customer service."
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, LarTXHorn said:

Chick-fil-A is great as a go to where you know what you're going to get. Consistent as you would say. Only bad thing is that the chicken has been getting smaller and smaller than what they used to offer.  They should also be commended for their efficiency. Yes, those double drive thru lines snake around the building, but damnit if they don't get you in and out quickly.

I went to Cane’s and those tenders were tiny.  We have a chicken problem in this country! 

35 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks, bud. 

7 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Y'all are going to far better Whataburgers than I've ever been to, or far worse In-n-outs than the ones I've been going to, or both. I've not had a Whataburger that wasn't grease-soaked cardboard compared with the average In-n-out double. But then, I've never been to In-n-out in Texas.

The fries... are inconsistent. When you get them on a good day, In-n-Out fries are the best fries you've ever eaten. Most of the  time, they're . . . pretty bad.

In n Out in Southern California is good and generally shit anywhere else.  Ive heard it’s cause they source from local suppliers in SoCal and ship it frozen everywhere else.  Might be urban legend and In n Out is nothing special anyway but whatevs

8 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Whataburger is a shell of its former self.  It’s been going downhill since the Yankees started running the show.

7 hours ago, C-Man said:

It happened long before that.

Most of this opinion is because y'all have gotten older and have experienced better food. So fast food seems more like it really is, which is not exactly culinary heaven. The younger you are the better fast food burgers seem. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Most of this opinion is because y'all have gotten older and have experienced better food. So fast food seems more like it really is, which is not exactly culinary heaven. The younger you are the better fast food burgers seem. 

I don’t think that’s right.  I’m north of 40 and my opinion on this only changed in the last 5 years.  Plenty of good food was consumed prior to coming to that conclusion.  My local whataburgers have all sucked for a while.  I originally thought it was a franchisee issue, but on the occasion I have given a different store outside of my immediate area a shot, it has been mediocre as well.  I now get my burgers from a couple of “fancy” counter service places, and for two people the tab is less than $5 more than it would be at wb, and the burger is significantly better.

30 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

In n Out in Southern California is good and generally shit anywhere else.  Ive heard it’s cause they source from local suppliers in SoCal and ship it frozen everywhere else.  Might be urban legend and In n Out is nothing special anyway but whatevs

That's just SoCal superiority propaganda. In-N-Out opened up a separate distribution center before expanding to Texas as they require all of their locations to be within an x-hour drive from one of their distribution centers. 

I don't really care either way though, fast food burgers are fast food burgers. All I truly want out of fast/fast casual dining is to have a Cabo Bob's in every town in Texas. Chipotle and Q-Doba just don't get it done for me. 

48 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’m loving the opinions on fast food burgers from posters who claim to have not eaten fast food in decades. Give me a fat expert. 

I’m a great big fat guy. 
Whataburger is the best fast food chain. If the standard and how 80% of the people get their food isn’t driving in their car through the window it isn’t fast food. 
so, that makes a place like 5 guys fast casual or something like that, but I definitely differentiate that from the car designed places- it’s a different model. 

Whataburger > In and Out > carls junior/Burger King> Jack in the box > Wendy’s > McDonald’s. 

the jack for Jack in the box is ordering all your burgers on sourdough bread instead of the normal bun. 

Obviously almost all the fast casual places where you go in, they customize your order, and they charge you 3-5 more per meal and then cook it to order while you wait is better. Well, no shit. But that’s a different price point (30% higher) and business model. It’s for restaurant quality without anything more than a cashier as front of the house. Cool. Great idea. Just different than comparing to whataburger. Unless you want to shot on Outback or Texas Roadhouse for not being Morton’s. Which, I mean you could, but why would you?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Professor Chesney said:

How has no one mentioned that Whataburger is open 24 hours?  The honey butter chicken biscuit is the undisputed king of the 12am-3am time slot, which is really the only time I can justify eating fast food to myself. 

No mention of Dr. Pepper? Username does not check out!

Just kidding, I hadn't noticed you before on here, but if your name honors the ECON prof at UT, I thought I'd chime in. I loved the guy and while it was been nearly 40 years since I was in his course, I have distinct memories of his love for DP (i.e., stop by my office to discuss, but make sure you bring a sixpack of Dr. Pepper). 

For those who remember him or want to know more about him, here's his obituary.

Spoiler

Michael T. Chesney, PhD, Lt. Col. (Ret) of Austin, Texas, passed away on August 6, 2014, after fighting a courageous battle with cancer. He was 84. Michael was born in Mt. Carmel, Pennsylvania, to Thomas and Gabriella Chesney. 

Michael was a 1947 graduate of Mt. Carmel High School and entered the United States Air Force in 1948. In July of 1959, he married the love of his life, Carmen Navarro. With the loving support of his wife Carmy, Michael completed a distinguished 22 year military career and retired in 1970 at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Duty assignments with the United States Air Force included decorated service as Michael was awarded numerous medals. During the Korean War, as a navigator bombardier, he completed a tour of 50 light bomber combat missions on B-26 Invader aircraft. Other duty assignments were instructor navigator, B-52 nuclear bomber aircraft navigator, and Minuteman Missile ICBM operations. 

Dr. Chesney's second career, 1970-1992, was as an educator. His academic degrees included a B.S. in Civil Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin in 1958, a M.B.A from Ohio State University in 1967, a M.S. in Economics from South Dakota State University in 1972, and a PhD from the University of Texas at Austin in 1979. He was a member of the faculty at Texas State University in San Marcos, St. Edward's University in Austin, and the University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Chesney's teaching fields were economics and business administration. He was admired by his colleagues and respected by his students. 

Michael was a religious man, humble person, caring son, devoted husband, and loving father and grandfather. He is survived by his beloved wife of 55 years, Carmen N. Chesney; daughters Karen Anne and husband Ross A. Miles of San Antonio, TX, and Carol Lynne and husband John V. McPhaul of Austin, TX; grandson, Barrett McPhaul, and step-grandchildren, Daniel, Nicole and Lauren Miles.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Whataburger > In and Out > carls junior/Burger King> Jack in the box > Wendy’s > McDonald’s. 

Gonna have to disagree with that.

Whataburger>McDonald's > Dairy Queen> Steak &Sheak > Sonic> Wendy's > Jack in the box > Carls/Arbys> 100 ft of shit> In and out

A McDonald's happy meal cheeseburger is superior to in and out.

FB_IMG_1641751027985.jpg

• Haha 8

but wait, there's more!!!  You also get to wait in line for 30 minutes before placing your order!!! woohoo.  

Ate at Hopdoddy yesterday in San Antonio, no lines and shit was pretty damn tasty. It wasn’t cheap though. $43 for my wife and I with 2 burgers, 1 order fries and 2 non alcoholic drinks.