2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Agreed. Quinn will make mistakes, yes, but I expect him to offer some "wow" moments. I might be missing somebody but I see a situation where's he clearly the best QB in the Big 12 by season's end, if not sooner, especially now that Caleb is gone from OU. (Maybe that's not stepping too far out on a limb. LOL) Yes, I'm heaping a lot of expectations on a kid who has barely taken a collegiate snap but he will make-or-break Sarkisian's tenure at Texas. If Quinn flops, Sark might not get a third season.

Nah, he'd be 4th in Tech's QB room.  They have a god-like OC now and the best QB room in the country.  I know because they told us when Ewers didn't pick them. 

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

With the departures and changes elsewhere in the B12, I don't see how this team shouldn't be in the mix to make the conference championship game barring another complete meltdown. Iowa State graduated their entire team, OU lost their head coach and best players, Ok State graduated their entire defense and lost their DC, WVU is getting scorched in the portal, TCU is without Patterson and Evans. If we can't do significantly better in conference this season, then we never will.  

When Texas can show they can play a modicum of competent defense, then we can talk about competing. 

Edited by Codaxx

The conference path should be a little easier next year.  A lot of Big 12 teams had extra depth/pieces this past year due to the extra covid year.  Bowl results also show the Big 12 had a solid set of teams this year.

The offense won't be hitting on all cylinders but it should be pretty good a lot of the time with the occasional misfire.

We were also probably a little better then 5-7 this year given we had substantial leads over quite a few good teams.

The defense needs to improve a lot year over year for us to contend.

I think getting the defense right in the next 2 years most likely makes or breaks Sark's tenure here.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, burdine said:

The conference path should be a little easier next year.  A lot of Big 12 teams had extra depth/pieces this past year due to the extra covid year.  Bowl results also show the Big 12 had a solid set of teams this year.

The offense won't be hitting on all cylinders but it should be pretty good a lot of the time with the occasional misfire.

We were also probably a little better then 5-7 this year given we had substantial leads over quite a few good teams.

The defense needs to improve a lot year over year for us to contend.

I think getting the defense right in the next 2 years most likely makes or breaks Sark's tenure here.

I think last year's team likely has 3-4 more wins with Ewers under center instead of Card/Thompson. But that's just me. I'm an aggressive gambler.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think last year's team likely has 3-4 more wins with Ewers under center instead of Card/Thompson. But that's just me. I'm an aggressive gambler.

I don't think Ewers could have realistically done much better with this year's version of that offensive line in front of him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't think Ewers could have realistically done much better with this year's version of that offensive line in front of him. 

5 of our 7 losses were one possession losses ... you don't think he could have swung a few of those our way?

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

5 of our 7 losses were one possession losses ... you don't think he could have swung a few of those our way?

Perhaps, there were some pretty inexplicable stretches during some of those games. But both of our QBs were hurt by the end of the year to the point that we had to have Roschon run the wildcat the entire game against K State. I don't know how long Ewers would have remained upright. 

24 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think QB play was one of the biggest reason Texas struggled. Casey finished 7th in QBR in front of Doege and Bean. HE finished dead last in Ints/attempt. In a conference that was not blessed with good QB play, Texas finished the year with below average QB play. Easily a couple more wins with competent QB play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think QB play was one of the biggest reason Texas struggled. Casey finished 7th in QBR in front of Doege and Bean. HE finished dead last in Ints/attempt. In a conference that was not blessed with good QB play, Texas finished the year with below average QB play. Easily a couple more wins with competent QB play. 

The dude was playing with a busted thumb and was basically shot-putting half his passes.  Casey never should have been out there, but Hudson Card wasn't ready to play behind our tissue-paper o-line. 

10 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

The dude was playing with a busted thumb and was basically shot-putting half his passes.  Casey never should have been out there, but Hudson Card wasn't ready to play behind our tissue-paper o-line. 

Same QB play I saw vs TCU. In fact TCU and Baylor are kind of the anomalies in Casey's play. HE was god awful vs good defenses and lit up bad defenses. The exception being he was god awful vs TCU and solid vs Baylor. 

TCU   41.9
OU   63.4
OSU   18.4
Baylor   77.1
ISU   2.8
KU   78.4
WVU   4.1
KSU  

That is QBR by game. I guess it was an intermittent injury, that usually just showed up against good teams or mostly in the 2nd half of games. It the thumb that forced the ball into bad reads and not his ability to read a defense. I could do to the Tech game and find 2-3 arm punts on deep balls also, if you like

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Same QB play I saw vs TCU. In fact TCU and Baylor are kind of the anomalies in Casey's play. HE was god awful vs good defenses and lit up bad defenses. The exception being he was god awful vs TCU and solid vs Baylor. 

TCU   41.9
OU   63.4
OSU   18.4
Baylor   77.1
ISU   2.8
KU   78.4
WVU   4.1
KSU  

That is QBR by game. I guess it was an intermittent injury, that usually just showed up against good teams or mostly in the 2nd half of games. It the thumb that forced the ball into bad reads and not his ability to read a defense. 

No, it's a combination.  There's a reason he wasn't QB1 coming into the season.  Casey is who Sark thought he was.  However, if you don't have the thumb, he's decent enough to where some of these deficiencies can be game-planned around.  But when you've got to take both the throws and reads that he can't make out when he's healthy, and then take another chunk out because of the thumb, you're basically fucked and wishing that Jerrod Heard was still on campus.  There's a reason we saw so much Wildcat in the KSU game. 

None of that stuff is Casey's fault.  He wasn't the starter coming into the season.  Other than hype from one half against Colorado, he's never been the heir apparent on campus since he came here.  Casey played up to his ability, and he's going to have a couple of fine seasons in a less competitive league at his next stop.  But he never should have had to play hurt, period.  Hudson Card was THAT BAD behind our line.  

26 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

TCU   41.9
OU   63.4
OSU   18.4
Baylor   77.1
ISU   2.8
KU   78.4
WVU   4.1
KSU  

That is QBR by game. I guess it was an intermittent injury, that usually just showed up against good teams or mostly in the 2nd half of games. It the thumb that forced the ball into bad reads and not his ability to read a defense. I could do to the Tech game and find 2-3 arm punts on deep balls also, if you like

I've got a buddy who says he had a thumb injury where it would be fine one day and very painful the next.   TFWIIW.  No explanation for the difference between first and second halves.🙂

46 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

No, it's a combination.  There's a reason he wasn't QB1 coming into the season.  Casey is who Sark thought he was.  However, if you don't have the thumb, he's decent enough to where some of these deficiencies can be game-planned around.  But when you've got to take both the throws and reads that he can't make out when he's healthy, and then take another chunk out because of the thumb, you're basically fucked and wishing that Jerrod Heard was still on campus.  There's a reason we saw so much Wildcat in the KSU game. 

None of that stuff is Casey's fault.  He wasn't the starter coming into the season.  Other than hype from one half against Colorado, he's never been the heir apparent on campus since he came here.  Casey played up to his ability, and he's going to have a couple of fine seasons in a less competitive league at his next stop.  But he never should have had to play hurt, period.  Hudson Card was THAT BAD behind our line.  

That is the point. Casey is the 15th rated QB in the portal according 247. 11 QBs have already moved to other teams. I think the #2 guy in the portal rankings (Ewers) could have added some wins. 

59 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

Lol none of it was Caseys fault guys! Either way the QB play was shitastic for one reason or another and cost us games that a Ewers wouldn’t have lost.

Edited by Hank_Hill

9 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol none of it was Caseys fault guys! Either way the QB play was shitastic for one reason or another and cost us games that a Ewers wouldn’t have lost.

Ewers on campus last season doesn't improve our o-line or defense.  We would have still sucked and still lost games, just like we did Sam's first year.  And unlike Sam, Ewers may have transferred at the end of it when he was no longer the golden boy.    

6 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

Ewers on campus last season doesn't improve our o-line or defense.  We would have still sucked and still lost games, just like we did Sam's first year.  And unlike Sam, Ewers may have transferred at the end of it when he was no longer the golden boy.    

So because the o-line stays the same, it doesn't matter who the QB is?

8 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

Having a decent QB that can move the chains helps our defense considerably.  The defense typically played like crap much more-so in the 2nd half of games.  Better QB play forces defenses to play us straight up and not stack the box.  Therefore giving our RB more room and we don't have as many 3 and outs.  And if our coaches have faith that we can score points they won't take as many chances on 4th down at midfield.  I don't know how many times we just gave up the ball to the other team at midfield because Sark felt like he had to risk it because he didn't know if we'd be able to move the ball at all over the remainder of the game.  Even if he still played all gas, no brakes and went for it, we likely convert at a much higher rate.  Not to mention the impact of cutting down the turnovers.   Even having average QB play last year would have made a big difference for our defense.  Nothing I saw tells me that we still wouldn't have been a below average defense.  But not nearly as shitastic as we were.

17 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So because the o-line stays the same, it doesn't matter who the QB is?

So maybe we beat Kansas and maybe West Virginia.  Who cares.  I'd rather be 5-7 and hungry than 7-5 and delusional thinking we were better than we are because we forced our stud freshman to play hero ball and destroy his body in the process--just like Herman did with Sam.   

Ewers makes dozens of throws that Thompson and Card don’t even think about attempting, and he completes another 10 deep balls to wide open receivers that they missed.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

So maybe we beat Kansas and maybe West Virginia.  Who cares.  I'd rather be 5-7 and hungry than 7-5 and delusional thinking we were better than we are because we forced our stud freshman to play hero ball and destroy his body in the process--just like Herman did with Sam.   

We'd have beat Baylor and OSU too. The only games that weren't winnable last year were Arkansas and ISU. You do realize that Sarkisian's offense is nothing like Herman's offense, and for as good a QB as Sam was, Ewers comes to Texas with a immensely higher ceiling at the position.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

It seems like you're missing the part where a good QB helps the OL by getting rid of the ball on time. Peyton Manning used to lead the league in sack avoidance in Indianapolis despite mid-pack OLs and a complete lack of mobility. A QB doesn't have to sacrifice his body to help a subpar OL and offense.

Will Ewers do that? We all hope so, it's obviously not guaranteed. But poor QB play was nearly as responsible for our QBs getting hit this year as the OL was.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

We'd have beat Baylor and OSU too. The only games that weren't winnable last year were Arkansas and ISU. You do realize that Sarkisian's offense is nothing like Herman's offense, and for as good a QB as Sam was, Ewers comes to Texas with a immensely higher ceiling at the position.

So, basically we win the Big 12 if only we had a stud freshman quarterback? I mean, Baylor and OSU were only the top two teams left standing at the end after. 

I'll have whatever you're drinking.  I guess I should start shopping for hotels for next year's playoff tickets right now.  We're going to be unstoppable with all these stud freshmen!      

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It seems like you're missing the part where a good QB helps the OL by getting rid of the ball on time. Peyton Manning used to lead the league in sack avoidance in Indianapolis despite mid-pack OLs and a complete lack of mobility. A QB doesn't have to sacrifice his body to help a subpar OL and offense.

Will Ewers do that? We all hope so, it's obviously not guaranteed. But poor QB play was nearly as responsible for our QBs getting hit this year as the OL was.

We already had the best freshman WR in the Big 12 and one of the best running backs in the country.  One more star player wouldn't have turned it around significantly any more than if Deshaun Watson had suited up for the Texans this year.  You can't be better than the middle of the pack in the Big 12 without a decent o-line, something that at least resembles a pass rush, and linebackers and safeties that are at least a threat to do their jobs.    

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Card is an excellent  QB.......in 7 on 7. 

Put a D line in front of him, he has the balls and body of a 10 year old girl. Both of which were apparent when faced with a team with a pulse. 

We are looking forward to watching Casey at Nebraska, Charles. 

1 hour ago, Chango said:

Ewers makes dozens of throws that Thompson and Card don’t even think about attempting, and he completes another 10 deep balls to wide open receivers that they missed.

Maybe not a direct response to your comment, but a place to drop my question. Are we not giving Maalik any chance at all? This is going to be a wide open competition, right? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, brojangles2 said:

Maybe not a direct response to your comment, but a place to drop my question. Are we not giving Maalik any chance at all? This is going to be a wide open competition, right? 

That would be the surprise of the century. There's certainly a chance that Murphy develops into a very good QB but he's going to need at least a year of development.

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Stats or of context are data points, not information.

What did we rank in sacks?

Any QB that lined up behind that OL was going to be middle of the pack at best.

VY night have won 7. Colt maybe 6. Everyone else that has played the position here since 1981 (ie, 40 years) would have been mediocre to terrible.

Until we have an OL that can keep a QB of his ass, we won't know what the QB can talk do.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Snacks said:

VY night have won 7. Colt maybe 6. Everyone else that has played the position here since 1981 (ie, 40 years) would have been mediocre to terrible.

Until we have an OL that can keep a QB of his ass, we won't know what the QB can talk do.

I like you but this is absurd and silly.  VY would have won 11 with this team against that schedule.  The VY that redshirted would have won 8 or 9

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Snacks said:

This is some exceptionally stupid shit, even for you.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Hahahahahahaha. Snacks, that shit is absurd. It's not even worth a rebuttal.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

It seemed like our QBs panicked and ran into danger several times every game.  Card v Arkie is especially memorable.  But they were both guilty.

• Like 1

It seemed like our QBs panicked and ran into danger several times every game.  Card v Arkie is especially memorable.  But they were both guilty.

Our QBs also repeatedly looked past/didn’t see wide open receivers and wouldn’t pull the trigger and then proceeded to panic.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

Not to pile on, but to suggest that two of the best CFB QBs of ALL TIME and definitely in Texas history would only be 1 or 2 wins better than the Card/Thompson experience is likely the dumbest thing I've heard this year. Come on man. 

The OL wasn't good, but it was serviceable. I saw Casey play in person multiple times this year, I went back and watched many of the games over and again until the Baylor loss, Casey Thompson was a bigger problem than the OL in most of our losses. He was out there reading defenses like Mr. Magoo and the better defenses made him pay for it. He made poor decisions with the ball which led to the shitty defense being put on the field time and time again. His pouty ass was a big part of the problem with our team this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, bejezuz said:

He played poorly against TCU before he injured his thumb. Even with the injured thumb a lot of his throws were misreads and poor decisions.

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure of K-State roster depth, but Deuce will return and Nebraska QB transferring in should be an upgrade for their offense.   

Chris Klieman is a solid head coach...

WTF are you talking about? Skylar Thompson is way better than Martinez. That is not an upgrade at all.

• Hook 'Em 1