2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Hoping we get some news on Patterson soon. 

The only off-season complaint I have is that PK is still here, I guess, and I'm clinging to some hope that he will improve on last year. I mean he can't be that bad, right? Anyway, we got Ewers to transfer, an unprecedented O-liine haul and #5 overall recruiting class, replaced some coaching deadweight and picked up rising stars in Choice (EDIT: thanks, @J.Peterman) and Marion and I think we've got some sort of agreement with Gary Patterson to come in as an analyst (and DC-in-waiting if PK shits the bed again). I think the offense will be potentially very good and OU has been gutted by the departure of Riley/Caleb. I look forward to spring ball and think this team could do some things in 2022.

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

picked up rising stars in Coleman and Marion 

Think you mean Choice, not Coleman.  But point taken.  It's been a much better offseason than any of us could have anticipated given how badly we crapped the bed. 

I think having above average qb play will be a huge factor for us next year.  It'll help our defense out as well because we can't possibly have as many 3 and outs and/or turn the ball over on downs at midfield nearly as often I wouldn't think.  OU and West Virginia getting decimated in the portal.  Iowa State losing their upperclassmen.  Can't fathom losing to Kansas again (course I couldn't fathom it this season either).  But has to be better next year I'd think.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, J.Peterman said:

Think you mean Choice, not Coleman.  But point taken.  It's been a much better offseason than any of us could have anticipated given how badly we crapped the bed. 

I think having above average qb play will be a huge factor for us next year.  It'll help our defense out as well because we can't possibly have as many 3 and outs and/or turn the ball over on downs at midfield nearly as often I wouldn't think.  OU and West Virginia getting decimated in the portal.  Iowa State losing their upperclassmen.  Can't fathom losing to Kansas again (course I couldn't fathom it this season either).  But has to be better next year I'd think.

Good take but unfortunately we need Quinn to be elite. We’ve invested a ton of resources and sacrificed potential starting QB’s in Milroe, Casey, and possibly Arch towards Quinns success. We need him to be better than above average imo….The good news is that we have the talent around him to really make some noise as early as this year. Sark’s tenure is going to live or die on the arm of Quinn. There’s no room for excuses we have to get it done.

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Good take but unfortunately we need Quinn to be elite. We’ve invested a ton of resources and sacrificed potential starting QB’s in Milroe, Casey, and possibly Arch towards Quinns success. We need him to be better than above average imo….The good news is that we have the talent around him to really make some noise as early as this year. Sark’s tenure is going to live or die on the arm of Quinn. There’s no room for excuses we have to get it done.

Do we need him to be elite or better than average? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The only off-season complaint I have is that PK is still here, I guess, and I'm clinging to some hope that he will get improve on last year. I mean he can't be that bad, right? Anyway, we got Ewers to transfer, an unprecedented O-liine haul and #5 overall recruiting class, replaced some coaching deadweight and picked up rising stars in Coleman and Marion and I think we've got some sort of agreement with Gary Patterson to come in as an analyst (and DC-in-waiting if PK shits the bed again). I think the offense will be potentially very good and OU has been gutted by the departure of Riley/Caleb. I look forward to spring ball and think this team could do some things in 2022.

The offense cannot be worse with the talent infusion + Ewers.  Get another really good WR like Addison or Neyor and it should still be really damn good.  I'm the same way as you - PK cannot be this bad, there really was such a fundamental lack of talent on the defensive end and an offense that couldn't sustain drives in the 2nd half of games.  I don't remember which defensive coach was saying last month they didn't feel like they could open up the defensive playbook because of what was on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Good take but unfortunately we need Quinn to be elite. 

Spoiler:  Quinn's not going to be elite next year.  Maybe in the future, but I'm not trying to get too far ahead of myself.

We just need the right the ship at this point.  I don't anticipate going full Michigan and getting into the playoffs next season.  But not losing by 50 to Bama and winning 9 regular season games is a darn good step in the right direction and should be attainable.  Anything better than that next season is gravy.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, J.Peterman said:

Spoiler:  Quinn's not going to be elite next year.  Maybe in the future, but I'm not trying to get too far ahead of myself.

We just need the right the ship at this point.  I don't anticipate going full Michigan and getting into the playoffs next season.  But not losing by 50 to Bama and winning 9 regular season games is a darn good step in the right direction and should be attainable.  Anything better than that next season is gravy.  

I would hope that Quinn would be able to play at the level of RS freshman like Stroud and Young played this year. It’s definitely unfair but that’s his pedigree. 

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

17 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I would hope that Quinn would be able to play at the level of RS freshman like Stroud and Young played this year. It’s definitely unfair but that’s his pedigree. 

The talent at OSU and Bama is so much better than ours.  Quinn won't have the time to get to his 3rd read before being sacked.  And he can't throw it to any of 3 WR that can catch a slant and take it 60 yards for a TD or win a 50/50 ball vs the DB.

Plus Quinn didn't exactly have a regular RS freshman season and likely got way fewer reps than those other guys did.   Maybe I'm mistaken, but it almost seemed like the OSU staff thought of him as an afterthought once he unexpectedly forced his way onto campus before they wanted him there.

Not to mention his RS year was spent leaning a different offense than what he will be asked to run next year.  

1 hour ago, J.Peterman said:

Can't fathom losing to Kansas again (course I couldn't fathom it this season either).  But has to be better next year I'd think.

Not sure of K-State roster depth, but Deuce will return and Nebraska QB transferring in should be an upgrade for their offense.   

Chris Klieman is a solid head coach...

I'll tell you what, this page has been a delightful spiral down some sad hilarity. I spent more time comfortable than I'm admitting trying to find the old LSUFreek Gif of Bob Stoops beating the shit out of Bo Pelini, but alas, came up empty. If any of you savants can conjure that bad boy back from the dead, it would be much appreciated. Because that is the perfect illustration of this page. 

40 minutes ago, J.Peterman said:

The talent at OSU and Bama is so much better than ours.  Quinn won't have the time to get to his 3rd read before being sacked.  And he can't throw it to any of 3 WR that can catch a slant and take it 60 yards for a TD or win a 50/50 ball vs the DB.

Plus Quinn didn't exactly have a regular RS freshman season and likely got way fewer reps than those other guys did.   Maybe I'm mistaken, but it almost seemed like the OSU staff thought of him as an afterthought once he unexpectedly forced his way onto campus before they wanted him there.

Not to mention his RS year was spent leaning a different offense than what he will be asked to run next year.  

Agreed. Quinn will make mistakes, yes, but I expect him to offer some "wow" moments. I might be missing somebody but I see a situation where's he clearly the best QB in the Big 12 by season's end, if not sooner, especially now that Caleb is gone from OU. (Maybe that's not stepping too far out on a limb. LOL) Yes, I'm heaping a lot of expectations on a kid who has barely taken a collegiate snap but he will make-or-break Sarkisian's tenure at Texas. If Quinn flops, Sark might not get a third season.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

The only off-season complaint I have is that PK is still here, I guess, and I'm clinging to some hope that he will get improve on last year. I mean he can't be that bad, right? Anyway, we got Ewers to transfer, an unprecedented O-liine haul and #5 overall recruiting class, replaced some coaching deadweight and picked up rising stars in Coleman and Marion and I think we've got some sort of agreement with Gary Patterson to come in as an analyst (and DC-in-waiting if PK shits the bed again). I think the offense will be potentially very good and OU has been gutted by the departure of Riley/Caleb. I look forward to spring ball and think this team could do some things in 2022.

With the departures and changes elsewhere in the B12, I don't see how this team shouldn't be in the mix to make the conference championship game barring another complete meltdown. Iowa State graduated their entire team, OU lost their head coach and best players, Ok State graduated their entire defense and lost their DC, WVU is getting scorched in the portal, TCU is without Patterson and Evans. If we can't do significantly better in conference this season, then we never will.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3