2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Tall, slow and can’t catch. Thanks Tom! 

All the best WRs in the NFL right now fit the Xavier Worthy profile as opposed to the Julio Jones profile. 5'11" to 6'1" with great route running, speed, and quickness. Obviously if you find a unicorn like Julio Jones you take him, but he better be worth it in terms of his athleticism. 

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Julio Jones profile? Wtf is that? Strong, shifty, and tall receivers that run a 4.3? The NFL definitely still wants those

Unicorns are always in vogue. It just hard to find guys that are 6'3-6'4", run 4.3s at 215-220, and arent stiff. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm just glad we've finally entered the modern age of football and stopped chasing after 6'3+ WRs who cant get a sippy cup open. You would have thought our 2007  through 2009 WR core would've taught us a lesson about what works for today's passing games, but it still took us another decade plus to process those lessons. 

It's corps as in group of people not core as in a nucleus unless you are referring to the core of our WR corps. I hate to be that guy, but I see this malapropism so often it irks me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas has really done a terrible job of hiring WR coaches. This seems like the first legit hire we've made at WR in a decade. 

Wyatt, Koenning, Norvell, Charlie Williams, Mehringer, Coleman. Who am I missing recently? Lord that's awful when you look back at it. 

Charlie Williams? Honest to God I don't even remember him. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

The Roy Williamses and Collin Johnsons have been few and far between for us. Give me a lineup of guys like Quan Cosby, Jordan Shipley, and Devin Durvenay every year and I’m good.

In fairness, Cosby, Shipley, and Duvernay have also been few and far between. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I legit have no memory of Anthony Johnson or Charlie Williams and I feel like I follow this shit [program] religiously. 

I googled them just to make sure &, sure enough, they were here apparently. Even seeing the bio didn't help jog the memory. 

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Oh-Fish-Al

Spoiler

"Brennan's a great addition to our staff, and I'm so fired up to have him on board," head coach Steve Sarkisiansaid. "He's a guy I've watched from afar and admired, and when we talked about a passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach here, his name just kept coming up. His reputation as a teacher, coach, recruiter and mentor is tremendous, and he's an innovative coach who will bring a lot of new and unique ideas to our passing game. After talking with him at length, I could tell he was the perfect person to fill our role. He is a high-energy person and a relationship guy who gets the best out of his players. He will not only be a great coach for our receivers and an outstanding member of our staff, but an experienced and knowledgeable mentor who will be an awesome resource to everyone in our program. I'm excited to get him to Austin and get to work."

In 2021, Marion was a part of a Pitt staff that directed one of the nation's most explosive offenses. Serving as wide receivers coach for an offense that ranked among the nation's top eight in scoring (41.4 ppg/4th), total offense (486.6 ypg/8th) and passing offense (337.4 ypg/8th), he helped lead the Panthers to an 11-3 record, their first-ever ACC Championship, a No. 12 final regular-season ranking and a berth in the New Year's Six Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.

Marion's prize pupil at Pitt was wide receiver Jordan Addison, who won the Biletnikoff Award as the nation's top receiver, and was a consensus first-team All-American selection in 2021. The first-team All-ACC wideout set a Pitt single-season record with 100 receptions this season, which rank fifth in the FBS, for 1,593 yards (3rd FBS) and an FBS-leading 17 touchdowns. The receiving yards and touchdowns rank second to only Larry Fitzgerald in a season in Pitt history.

"I'm so excited for this opportunity and can't wait to get started," Marion said. "Coach Sark is as big time of an offensive coach as there is, and what he's putting together as the head coach at Texas is something I'm thrilled to be a part of. The opportunity to learn, study and grow under him at a premier program like Texas was a no-brainer. It's a proud program with a rich tradition, and I want to be a part of the history of helping the Longhorns return to prominence and regain their place as a national powerhouse.

• Hook 'Em 1