Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

3 hours ago, ABSR said:

Riley is a good offensive mind, and I think it took a couple of years for coaches to figure out how best to play against him.  But what he had was some transcendent college quarterbacks/athletes in Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts and Caleb Williams.  Two Heisman winners and a Heisman runner up.  Who's athleticism and creative play making ability outside the normal scripted offense was key to their and Oklahoma's offensive success under Riley.

I imagine Riley is looking for an NFL or new job right now for when Caleb leaves.

I think a coaching staff of 11 random folks on this thread could get those OU teams to 8 wins.  Sure, we'd have to hire a mediocre Texas HS coach as a consultant, but...

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

They absolutely got worse ever year at OU under Riley - Stoops probably wins a national championship in one of first two years if he had continued coaching with Riley as OC.  That Rose Bowl against Georgia in particular was outrageous.  Georgia just ran basic handoffs and put up 50 to come from behind and win a close one.  Even just a bad defense as opposed to a historically inept defense wins that game for OU.

The even bigger red flag was how OU’s offense sucked his last year when Rattler was the QB during the first half of the season, and then only started scoring big again when Williams came in to save them with his dual threat ability. Riley (a) no longer had NFL talent all over the offense (because recruiting was way better on paper than reality), and (b) his base offense wasn’t anything special anymore without that talent advantage.  

He and USC are in for a world of hurt if and when his run of great QBs ends.  

That 2017 OU team had Mike Stoops as the DC. I don’t think having Bob Stoops as HC for a few months longer changes the outcome of that semi loss for OU.

LR would go on to shitcan Mike Stoops after Sam teabagged that defense in 2018 RRS. Bob would probably be more reluctant to fire his brother. OU’s defense seemed to improve slightly in the short run, but they eventually fell off in 2020/2021. That can be attributed to LR’s offense centric recruiting.

59 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

They absolutely got worse ever year at OU under Riley - Stoops probably wins a national championship in one of first two years if he had continued coaching with Riley as OC.  That Rose Bowl against Georgia in particular was outrageous.  Georgia just ran basic handoffs and put up 50 to come from behind and win a close one.  Even just a bad defense as opposed to a historically inept defense wins that game for OU.

The even bigger red flag was how OU’s offense sucked his last year when Rattler was the QB during the first half of the season, and then only started scoring big again when Williams came in to save them with his dual threat ability. Riley (a) no longer had NFL talent all over the offense (because recruiting was way better on paper than reality), and (b) his base offense wasn’t anything special anymore without that talent advantage.  

I heard the reason for Stoops retirement was that the state of Oklahoma simply couldn’t keep producing enough dicks to satisfy his appetite anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ABSR said:

But what he had was some transcendent college quarterbacks/athletes in Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts and Caleb Williams.  Two Heisman winners and a Heisman runner up.  Who's athleticism and creative play making ability outside the normal scripted offense was key to their and Oklahoma's offensive success under Riley.

I imagine Riley is looking for an NFL or new job right now for when Caleb leaves.

If he has 1 of them maybe you attribute his success to luck but he has had 3. He has 2 Heisman and one runner up. That is a skill, you can’t deny he can recruit the talent at the position and get most out of them. He won’t magically just stop getting the top qb he wants. He is what 3-1 against UT while at OUlosers.

lets just say if he was at UT, had those qbs and same record as at OU, there would be a statue of him.

He is a better coach then anything UT had since Mack brown 

Edited by Gengs1

9 hours ago, statsman said:

100 years ago, Oklahoma had a population of two million and Texas had a population of four million. Now, Oklahoma has four million and Texas has a population of 29 million. The fact is, Texas has grown, and is growing, in a way Oklahoma isn’t. 

Yes, OU’s strategy for a long time has been to recruit Texas, to claim it as their recruiting territory. That, and a willingness to pay more, has been effective. 

Now, they’re joining the SEC. They have to outbid Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU, and … Texas. This will be harder than outbidding Tech or OSU. 

Back to Riley- this guy has a career record of 72-14, is currently 6-1, and people are bagging on him? Only a moron would prefer Brent Venables as coach to Lincoln Riley (and I get that OU will probably start out 12-0 this year)

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Matt answers it clearly.  Anybody paying attention sees it clear as day.  The OSU game thread here had several OU posters who wanted him gone.  It’s not revisionist history.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

If he has 1 of them maybe you attribute his success to luck but he has had 3. He has 2 Heisman and one runner up. That is a skill, you can’t deny he can recruit the talent at the position and get most out of them. He won’t magically just stop getting the top qb he wants. He is what 3-1 against UT while at OUlosers.

lets just say if he was at UT, had those qbs and same record as at OU, there would be a statue of him.

He is a better coach then anything UT had since Mack brown 

Has UT had anyone good since Mack?  Maybe Sark is good.  Jury still out.  Great guy but good coach?  Riley is at least good.  Not 10M a year great.  Christ that’s outrageous.  Maybe he should put half his own salary towards NIL for his defense.  

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Has UT had anyone good since Mack?  Maybe Sark is good.  Jury still out.  Great guy but good coach?  Riley is at least good.  Not 10M a year great.  Christ that’s outrageous.  Maybe he should put half his own salary towards NIL for his defense.  

He is very much worth the $10 mil a year. Now I know that may shock some ppl but it’s true.

now let’s compare coaches salaries that justify his amount

-Mel Tucker - $10M/year lolz

-Jimbo - 9.1M, lolz

-Brian Kelly - $9.9M haha

Mark Stoops - $9M

Heupel- $9M

Kiffen - $9M

Napier - $7.7M

now he is thus far better then anyone in the list above.

salaries from 

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gengs1 said:

He is very much worth the $10 mil a year. Now I know that may shock some ppl but it’s true.

now let’s compare coaches salaries that justify his amount

-Mel Tucker - $10M/year lolz

-Jimbo - 9.1M, lolz

-Brian Kelly - $9.9M haha

Mark Stoops - $9M

Heupel- $9M

Kiffen - $9M

Napier - $7.7M

now he is thus far better then anyone in the list above.

salaries from 

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

Not talking about past.  Talking about now since he got that salary.  Last year a new years 6 loss.  This year doesn’t even make a new years 6 game.  So just bc other morons are overpaid doesn’t mean he isn’t?  That’s not how it works.  Happy to place a bet on him not making a NY6 bowl this year and no playoffs for next 3 years - even w expanded field.  I’ll be around.  Name a number. He’s toast.  Again - gotten worse results every single year he’s been a head coach.   

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Would you take any of them back?

Also, how do you define a “good” coach?

Imo a good coach at a blue blood should win at least one conference championship.  Lower standards for non blue bloods obviously.  David McWilliams won just one for you guys in a soft SWC - I wouldn’t consider him good. 

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Last year a new years 6 loss.  This year doesn’t even make a new years 6 game.  So just bc other morons are overpaid doesn’t mean he isn’t?  That’s not how it works.   

Please explain how it works then?

maybe I just don’t know it then. I would assume that if very shitty coaches are making 7-10 million a year then Riley should be paid the same amount while having accompanied more than those coaches? I could just be wrong then.

if my coworkers are making more then me and I perform better, should I also ask for same pay or more pay based on my results?

Edited by Gengs1

36 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

Please explain how it works then?

maybe I just don’t know it then. I would assume that if very shitty coaches are making 7-10 million a year then Riley should be paid the same amount while having accompanied more than those coaches? I could just be wrong then.

if my coworkers are making more then me and I perform better, should I also ask for same pay or more pay based on my results?

He’s actually 13M and he would not get that today -  meaning since he was hired at that salary he has failed to earn it.  Jimbo won a title so by your dumbass standards he’s earning his dough too.  Just compare Jimbo to Mel.  Winning.  
I’m gonna guess I hire a lot more professionals than you do.  Just a guess.  

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He’s actually 13M and he would not get that today -  meaning since he was hired at that salary he has failed to earn it.  Jimbo won a title so by your dumbass standards he’s earning his dough too.  Just compare Jimbo to Mel.  Winning.  
I’m gonna guess I hire a lot more professionals than you do.  Just a guess.  

So you must have hired the last few UT coaches and paid them all that money to win and make UT a powerhouse again. Real genius right there….

Still waiting for you to explain how college coaching hiring works and how to justify their salaries, any day now…

3 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

So you must have hired the last few UT coaches and paid them all that money to win and make UT a powerhouse again. Real genius right there….

Still waiting for you to explain how college coaching hiring works and how to justify their salaries, any day now…

He’s not earning his salary you dumbfuck.  But glad you think Jimbo is worth it.  He beat Bama and look at him compared to Mel!

Go grab me some TPS reports, you douche.  Maybe you’ll make middle mgt one day.  Lol

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Did you give him the memo about the cover sheets?

I love it.  

Hey, Dr. Dipshit, we gotta let you go, you transplanted Gengs1’s brain up his rectum.  ‘But look at all these other docs committing malpractice!  They got paid XYZ!’

Great point, here’s a raise.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He’s not earning his salary you dumbfuck.  But glad you think Jimbo is worth it.  He beat Bama and look at him compared to Mel!

Go grab me some TPS reports, you douche.  Maybe you’ll make middle mgt one day.  Lol

wait title GIF

Still waiting on the explanation of how college coaches hiring works? 

Just now, Gengs1 said:

wait title GIF

Still waiting on the explanation of how college coaches hiring works? 

You’re a legit fucking idiot.  You think hiring college coaches is working?  After bringing up Mel and Jimbo as examples. 😂

No point in reasoning w morons.  But it’s a good sport making fun of idiots like yourself.  So post more, please   

920C487C-E4A9-4C95-8659-E8E1C843756A.gif

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Would you take any of them back?

Also, how do you define a “good” coach?

No I would not. I want Texas to have a great coach. A good coach has competitive teams and winning records, maybe .600+ winning percentage. It takes more wins at places that schedule 3 creampuffs in non-conference.

That's not the expectation at Texas but it doesn't change the meanings of good and bad. 

Damn, I don't think I've ever seen the narrative against a coach turn so quickly. In a space of less than 10 days, it's become that Lincoln Riley is shit, his team is terrible, and he's going to jump ship. 

Dude is 6-1 this year, 17-4 at USC, and has had three Heisman winners.

Sure, his defenses generally suck, and he has a bad bowl game record -- albeit in big bowl games. But who else are you going to get that's better? 

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Damn, I don't think I've ever seen the narrative against a coach turn so quickly. In a space of less than 10 days, it's become that Lincoln Riley is shit, his team is terrible, and he's going to jump ship. 

Dude is 6-1 this year, 17-4 at USC, and has had three Heisman winners.

Sure, his defenses generally suck, and he has a bad bowl game record -- albeit in big bowl games. But who else are you going to get that's better? 

I don't think he's shit, but there are limits to a team led by him.  It's easy to look at Grinch to blame much of their one loss this season (and more to come) but really, his biggest issue is his blindness to Wylie.  S&C is the linchpin of any successful program.  Wylie's product is soft, and it shows.

Unless Riley gets a pipeswinger for a S&C coach and gets someone more competent to handle the defensive side of the thing he's always going to have fun to watch teams that are competitive--he can go decades winning 10 games, but drop 1-3 a year to teams that will punch him in the mouth.  The USC money is going to want more than entertainment and dropping 2 or more a year to teams who may not be as gifted athletically, but are far tougher.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Not talking about past.  Talking about now since he got that salary.  Last year a new years 6 loss.  This year doesn’t even make a new years 6 game.  So just bc other morons are overpaid doesn’t mean he isn’t?  That’s not how it works.  Happy to place a bet on him not making a NY6 bowl this year and no playoffs for next 3 years - even w expanded field.  I’ll be around.  Name a number. He’s toast.  Again - gotten worse results every single year he’s been a head coach.   

Not only that, he's at his earning peak right now.  (Well, maybe when he left OU he was at his peak.)  Anyway, without CW, his last OU team would likely have been 6-6 and without CW, this USC team would be 6-6 at best.  CW ain't walking through that door next year so what does SC look like then?  6-6?  He's not getting a big money deal then.

That's why I think he takes off after this season.  He sees the writing on the wall with the roster and the Big 10 move.

52 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sure, his defenses generally suck, and he has a bad bowl game record -- albeit in big bowl games.

people on him for losing the Rose Bowl (CFP), Orange Bowl (CFP), Peach Bowl (CFP) and lost to #16 Tulane in the Cotton Bowl in 2023.

won the Cotton Bowl as #6 vs #7 Florida Florida in 2020. Won the Alamo Bowl vs #14 Oregon in 2021.

shitting on any coach for making the CFP and losing is dumb.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

people on him for losing the Rose Bowl (CFP), Orange Bowl (CFP), Peach Bowl (CFP) and lost to #16 Tulane in the Cotton Bowl in 2023.

won the Cotton Bowl as #6 vs #7 Florida Florida in 2020. Won the Alamo Bowl vs #14 Oregon in 2021.

Yeah, I don't believe that happened.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What is interesting the most to me is that he has one of the most talented HS programs in the country 30 minutes from his campus, but is getting destroyed by Sarkisian there.

Not that odd when your kid went there and you are friendly with the coaching staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

One thing that lol credit him for is he does a segment every week where he is wrong. Took total ownership of this on USC. Flash over substance. Said that today. Repeatedly 

You know it’s like my 3rd ex wife, I just owned up to the mistakes and move on to the next. It’s like apple, they make iPhones and frito lays makes Cheetos, they own it. Heres joy with the boobs…

Except there’s no boobs now

and only when he has Klatt on he gets his shit checked in real time lol

27 minutes ago, NoName said:

Unless you got the keys handed to you on a program that was making the CFP all the time without you.  Acting like the guy driving a Rolls Royce he earned vs daddy’s gift is the same thing.

Hey, he didn’t wreck it until 3 years later! 12M it is 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Unless you got the keys handed to you on a program that was making the CFP all the time without you.  Acting like the guy driving a Rolls Royce he earned vs daddy’s gift is the same thing.

USC was 4-8 before he got there. Went 11-3 the next year and is 6-1 this year.

Ask Texas fans how program's success just isn't something that keeps going on its own. I know OU fans are salty about him leaving, and I understand that. But to imply the success he had while there didn't have anything to do with LR is silly.

22 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

he is very much who he is: one of the most brilliant offensive minds in football, not just college football.

this is backed up by basically every advanced stat out there that exists and he has a very clear track record of being one of the most efficient offenses since he became OC at OU.

he is a very good college football coach. he has his weaknesses, COME ON.

beyond that can you blame the guy for going to USC and living in fucking LA over living in Norman OK for the next 10 years?

add in that he got paid 46% more, which OU wasn't going to match anyway!, on a 10 year, fully guaranteed contract?

he's a really fucking good coach. he still has the highest overall win% at OU, he still won 4 conf championships in 5 years. he still is one of the top 4 coaches in the history of an incredible football program.

...sorry he didn't want to coach in Norman Oklahoma for 22 years (Switzer), 17 years (Bud) or 17 years like Stoops did. i don't think you or anyone else can blame someone for that with how coaches are today.

to wrap it all up: he left to take a job at one of the tiny handful of "better" jobs out there, that's significantly easier to recruit to, at a 46% increase in salary, with a 10 year fully guaranteed contract and in a significantly better city/area - what's the problem here?

OU fans need to stop acting like some jilted lover and following the guy around screeching to everyone who will listen how much of a low life no good hack he was.

if he was such a terrible coach you would think that y'all would be celebrating in the streets that he left with like 4 years on his contract and y'all didn't have to buy him out.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 8

46 minutes ago, NoName said:

he is very much who he is: one of the most brilliant offensive minds in football, not just college football.

this is backed up by basically every advanced stat out there that exists and he has a very clear track record of being one of the most efficient offenses since he became OC at OU.

he is a very good college football coach. he has his weaknesses, COME ON.

beyond that can you blame the guy for going to USC and living in fucking LA over living in Norman OK for the next 10 years?

add in that he got paid 46% more, which OU wasn't going to match anyway!, on a 10 year, fully guaranteed contract?

he's a really fucking good coach. he still has the highest overall win% at OU, he still won 4 conf championships in 5 years. he still is one of the top 4 coaches in the history of an incredible football program.

...sorry he didn't want to coach in Norman Oklahoma for 22 years (Switzer), 17 years (Bud) or 17 years like Stoops did. i don't think you or anyone else can blame someone for that with how coaches are today.

to wrap it all up: he left to take a job at one of the tiny handful of "better" jobs out there, that's significantly easier to recruit to, at a 46% increase in salary, with a 10 year fully guaranteed contract and in a significantly better city/area - what's the problem here?

OU fans need to stop acting like some jilted lover and following the guy around screeching to everyone who will listen how much of a low life no good hack he was.

if he was such a terrible coach you would think that y'all would be celebrating in the streets that he left with like 4 years on his contract and y'all didn't have to buy him out.

You can’t be this dense.  I live in the same earning bracket as this twat and would never live in OK/TX.  We have gone over that ad nauseam.  Point is people wanted him gone - check that OSU game thread - and he left like a bitch after plotting it all season. Underhanded through and through.  He was flying around midweek making excuses for not coaching.  If you don’t know how he left, or you see how he left, and have no problem with that, then I can’t help your dumb ass.  Everyone is glad he’s gone.  Soft motherfucker.  Hell, the vast majority of UT fans on here even agree.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

49 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

USC was 4-8 before he got there. Went 11-3 the next year and is 6-1 this year.

Ask Texas fans how program's success just isn't something that keeps going on its own. I know OU fans are salty about him leaving, and I understand that. But to imply the success he had while there didn't have anything to do with LR is silly.

Sure.  Just saying OU fans wouldn’t take what he did last year at USC or what he did at OU and be happy.  Find the posts we had on him.  They’re here.  A LOT of people wanted his ass gone.  

Got worse EVERY fucking year.  

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That's why I think he takes off after this season.  He sees the writing on the wall with the roster and the Big 10 move.

He knows the team is dogshit going into the Big Ten and is more than willing to throw Grinch under the bus for all its problems while working behind the scenes to get the job with the Chargers. I’m sure the Chargers think Lincoln Riley can turn Herbert into a star by feeding him some dry ass brisket.

• Hook 'Em 1

‘If there's a silver lining for Lincoln Riley, though, after USC took an all but fatal blow to its College Football Playoff chances, it's that he should be used to squandering great opportunities to win a national championship at this point. He made the College Football Playoff three times at Oklahoma and never made it to a national title game. And barring something incredibly unforeseen, he likely won't even make a CFP in either of Caleb Williams's seasons at USC. Nobody in college football does less with more.’ 
Making Jimbo jealous…

9DC5A4DE-45F8-49A1-8F22-97719675C872.thumb.png.638f137ee4684364543940db99477aa2.pngAnd man, I’m sure glad LR brought the QB tradition to OU.  Lol

Sorry, you can pry that from Mike Leach’s cold dead hands.  Some of you act 15.  Post more tiktoks w boobs and less awful cfb takes.  

RIP Coach 

Edited by ChiTownDoc