Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

On 10/25/2023 at 11:02 AM, Vertigo said:

This might be the weirdest coaching situation I have ever seen. What coach abandons his team in the middle of the season and flies to Chicago to meet with the bears? The only other situation I can recall like this would be Bobby Petrino ditching the Falcons, but even that was not the same. This is worse than the Urban Meyer bar incident if it actually turns out to be something real. What must Kingsbury be thinking right about now? Has Riley been quiet fired? Has he quiet quit? I would laugh my ass off if he does go to the NFL and winds up with the first pick and picks Williams.  

Didn't joey freshwater do all of that with USC/Tennessee? 

Not to derail, but I would be very interested in data on pneumonia diagnoses right not.

I have 4 right now that I am aware of in my current direct interaction social and business circles.  Over the last few weeks its probably 8 or 10 at least.

Crazy.

And no I haven't asked for doctors verification on these.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Not to derail, but I would be very interested in data on pneumonia diagnoses right not.

I have 4 right now that I am aware of in my current direct interaction social and business circles.  Over the last few weeks its probably 8 or 10 at least.

Crazy.

And no I haven't asked for doctors verification on these.

I was actually thinking the same thing. My otherwise healthy 19 year old son just had it and said there are a shitload of cases going around at his Midwestern university. 

On 10/25/2023 at 3:45 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah... only thing I can think of is that his main problem in college seems to be that he won't fire his shit-tastic defensive coordinator.

They are currently 3rd in the country in scoring offense and 105th (!!!) in scoring defense.  I mean, if they were "only" like 60th or so in scoring defense they would likely be undefeated and ranked in the top 5.  If they had a top 10-15 defense (which USC absolutely should be able to do) they would be blowing everyone out and be a national title contender.

If I'm an owner of an NFL team and are willing to hire him, my terms would be "We are hiring you for your offensive acumen. We are not hiring your buddy who is a shitty DC. You will hire a real DC."

Football is a complimentary game though. His offense hurts his defense in a lot of ways. First off when teams play against Riley they come in knowing they HAVE to be aggressive with the offensive gameplan because Riley's offense is going to score. Second, having a big, explosive offense leaves a lot of time for the opponent to take it's shots too. Sometimes limiting the amount of possessions can be your best friend. The more possessions the opponent gets, the more chances they have to figure out your defense. You score fast and early and the opponent starts taking its shots too and by the end of the game they have figured you out defensively, and made some adjustments offensively.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Football is a complimentary game though. His offense hurts his defense in a lot of ways. First off when teams play against Riley they come in knowing they HAVE to be aggressive with the offensive gameplan because Riley's offense is going to score. Second, having a big, explosive offense leaves a lot of time for the opponent to take it's shots too. Sometimes limiting the amount of possessions can be your best friend. The more possessions the opponent gets, the more chances they have to figure out your defense. You score fast and early and the opponent starts taking its shots too and by the end of the game they have figured you out defensively, and made some adjustments offensively.

Their pace-adjusted stats are shit too. They are in the 80s in defensive points per possession and defensive points per play.

4 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

So based on that verbal diarrhea of an answer, someone asked him about not being able to recruit well enough in-state at this point?

Probably something about all the lineman going out of state:

https://www.on3.com/db/rankings/industry-player/football/2024/?state=ca

17 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Nothing wrong with what Lincoln is saying. I said the same thing during Mack’s time. So what if we get the #1 guard in Texas if he is the 35th best in the nation. I’d rather get the #1 guy from Maine.

Maine kid will portal after his first year because it’s too hot and he misses lobster rolls.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Nothing wrong with what Lincoln is saying. I said the same thing during Mack’s time. So what if we get the #1 guard in Texas if he is the 35th best in the nation. I’d rather get the #1 guy from Maine.

I think a big issue w Mack's over recruiting in-state talent was that they didn't account for the depth of training and support for TX players at big high schools. They were so proud of all their 4-star locals, but tons of them showed up to campus with more training than a Juco transfer from Maine.

To get back to the topic of the thread though... Riley seems like a great x's and o's guy on offense, but has he ever showed the ability to coach a player up? He certainly hasn't been able to develop character in his past players.

27 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

I think a big issue w Mack's over recruiting in-state talent was that they didn't account for the depth of training and support for TX players at big high schools. They were so proud of all their 4-star locals, but tons of them showed up to campus with more training than a Juco transfer from Maine.

To get back to the topic of the thread though... Riley seems like a great x's and o's guy on offense, but has he ever showed the ability to coach a player up? He certainly hasn't been able to develop character in his past players.

I dunno Caleb Williams has definitely developed some character issues 

This is an interesting consideration. There’s considerable access in Texas now. Lots of opportunities exist. Competition at the small schools has always been a limiting factor but less so today. I’d assume just about every program has a summer S&C program. I’m also assuming the lower rung coaches are much better, more informed than ever. Other states might not have quite the access, but they likely have more access to quality each year.

On 10/25/2023 at 10:20 AM, Zone Read said:

I dunno, maybe the way he delivers the message, but as for the content, he see's it from the player's perspective which none of us do.  Most people given the chance to forget what's morally or ethically right in order to make a shit-ton of cash will do so.  

That's a symptom of the bastardized version of America this country has become. America has become a country that promotes sacrificing your soul to gain money. Then people wonder why so many Americans are pumped with so many antidepressants there's an actual shortage right now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That's a symptom of the bastardized version of America this country has become. America has become a country that promotes sacrificing your soul to gain money. Then people wonder why so many Americans are pumped with so many antidepressants there's an actual shortage right now. 

When was the point that this hasn't been the case?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hermanator said:

It's 55k for a Kia brah!! People got kids to feed.

latrell-sprewell.jpg

1 minute ago, someguy said:

This has turned into one of the more amusing college football subplots this season for my kids.  If USC looks like they are going to lose, we watch specifically for the inevitable crying.

I don't care what his measurables are and what his game tape looks like.  For a 21 year old QB to climb into the stands and sit on his mom's lap and cry because he lost his third game of the year - there have to be mental make up issues worthy of great concern.  

Agree. Bad look.