We are not the Joneses

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Everybody clear on that? Good, now that we all agree...

The game just changed, folks. Does the University of Texas even have the stomach to play ball anymore? I don't think so.*

*I reserve the right to change my mind if/when Urban is hired Kevin Eltife is fired.

FIFY

• Hook 'Em 2

Although OP is mostly just beating a dead horse, I actually understand his point. Despite results, Texas has hung our hat on 1) We're Texas and 2) we have more money than anyone. Many fans still believe that. However, the last 2 days have shown 1) that means fuckall and 2) all the money in the world don't amount to shit if you don't know how to use it. Maybe the last couple days will help our thick headed arrogant decision makers understand...we are not the Jonses. Not even close. Haven't been for a while, but very few people wanted to admit it. Maybe something will finally change.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

OP failing to give credit to Sparty for "Coaching-inflation-is-transitory" by giving a guy with a 16-14 record that same contract Kelly just got, 10 years/$95 million.

However, we remain The Joneses for coaching dead money, so thread title is invalid.

I hadn’t even seen what Sparty did. My god.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Thanks for clearing that up. The last 12 years had me unsure of our place in this world. 

The 80s and 90s fixed that for me.  The aughts were a lagniappe.

Years ago, I saw something about top 10 or 20 football teams from the 80s.  BYU and Air Force were on it.  Texas was not.

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Although OP is mostly just beating a dead horse, I actually understand his point. Despite results, Texas has hung our hat on 1) We're Texas and 2) we have more money than anyone. Many fans still believe that. However, the last 2 days have shown 1) that means fuckall and 2) all the money in the world don't amount to shit if you don't know how to use it. Maybe the last couple days will help our thick headed arrogant decision makers understand...we are not the Jonses. Not even close. Haven't been for a while, but very few people wanted to admit it. Maybe something will finally change.

The last couple of days forced the issue. Decisions will be made. I don’t think they’ll decide to continue the arms race.

22 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

The entire problem at Texas is sorry-assed leadership.

Bill Powers nixed the Saban hire because he wanted to reinforce the authority of the president of the university when the governor wanted to run the university through the BOR. It was the right thing to do.

Now Hartzell hands the athletics department over to Kevin Eltife, and when he fucks things up, the kids get all the blame.

Eltife needs to be held accountable for his decisions. You want to run things, you have to be accountable for your decisions. When that principle is firmly implanted into Bellmont, things will improve. As long as we have people making bad decisions and being retained to continue to make bad decisions, we will continue to get subpar performance.

This shit about not holding people accountable because they might be embarrassed if held accountable is the problem.

Eliminate the incompetents and retain the people who make sound decisions. It's not a tough concept for successful organizations.

UT football four.jpeg

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You already have the most lucrative college program in the country. If the massive amounts of money poured into the program hasn't helped yet, do you think more is gonna ?

Lol…either you are an influencer or you aren’t. 

43 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s a forward-looking realization. This seems to be a crossing the rubicon moment in college football. Athletic Departments are either willing to bet the farm on Football or they’re chasing Director Cup’s.

Apparently we turned Kelly down last year.  Not willing to hire an asshole.  Known asshole.  

I was actually thinking the same thing. Our coach makes less than $6mm per year while schools like Michigan State are shelling out $9.5mm for a 3rd year head coach. USC likely just dropped $12+mm, etc. We're the opposite of money-whipping right now.

18 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

I'm fine with that. If Texas dropped $10+ Million a year on Lincoln Riley or Brian Kelly I'd be fucking pissed. 

I think both programs just put themselves in a much better position to compete for championships than we did hiring Sark. 

But time will tell whether their investments will pay off. We'll see.

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

JFC...so now we're going with, "I'm glad we're getting our loser coach for a bargain price"?

Spending money on stupid things because you can, is still stupid. Now, I would spend $20 million/year if Saban was an option. But he's not so........

11 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I was actually thinking the same thing. Our coach makes less than $6mm per year while schools like Michigan State are shelling out $9.5mm for a 3rd year head coach. USC likely just dropped $12+mm, etc. We're the opposite of money-whipping right now.

pretty sure if we get results, our $6 million coach would quickly turn into a $10 million coach... Thing is, we haven't had results...

58 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Donate more money then bitch

How are we supposed to read this?

Donate more money, then bitch.

Donate more money then, bitch.

Donate more money than bitch.

All drastically different meanings. And who's bitch?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Yeah I’ve missed the point of this thread

You can run a respectable athletic department and tout championships from non-revenue sports while turning a profit in football by simply riding the coat tails of SEC/TV rights, without having to actually invest in football wins.

8 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Spending money on stupid things because you can, is still stupid. Now, I would spend $20 million/year if Saban was an option. But he's not so........

I keep saying... our culture at UT would crush Saban.... We are to coaches what the Cleveland Browns are to quarterbacks... Bring in the best if you want.. But our culture (fans/admin/BMDs) will find a way to destroy them... #undefeated.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You can run a respectable athletic department and tout championships from non-revenue sports while turning a profit in football by simply riding the coat tails of SEC/TV rights, without having to actually invest in football wins.

When money matters more than winning? Seems very Jerry Jones to me…

1 minute ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

Its in retrospect but our coaching hires look so lame compared to LSU, USC's of the world. Maybe we didn't aim high enough and settled for our last 3 hires. 

Wasn't Strong like option 7?
We didn't settle for Herman - we locked in on him and never looked at anyone else.
Sark was just a not as good backup after Urban strung us along. 

• Hook 'Em 1