gun threats at crockett high school

hayden_horn

anyone hear anything? 

i picked up my son today because he was freaking out. this is the second day of gun threats at crockett. 

when i called the admin said "pick him up if it makes you feel better" and when i went there were aisd cops all over the place. 

does anyone know wtf is going on?

all my son says is that there is a snapchat of a kid with a glock and a caption of "don't go to crockett today."

i got an email from the school:

Subject: Follow up message about student safety

Dear Crockett ECHS Families,

We wanted to update you on the situation regarding threats posted online. We have identified the source of the threats posted online and are handling the matter with Austin ISD Police.

Furthermore, out of an abundance of caution, we have multiple officers stationed on campus today. We are taking no chances with student safety on our campus.

As we said yesterday, Austin ISD takes all such threats seriously. Threats of any kind against our school, students or staff are not tolerated.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call me at 512-414-2532. As always, thank you for your support of Crockett ECHS.

Sincerely,

that email does not give me a feeling of security, but i don't know what else they would be able to tell us. 

i hate that i have to worry about this. i take my son to school every morning and give him a hug and tell him to have a good day. then i get a call about a suspected school shooting. 

fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

18 hours ago, used2b said:

It sounds like they identified the kid(s) and they are not at school.

here's hoping. 

i dropped off my son at school again today with a smile and hug. but i still worry. his best friend was crying when he got dropped off. 

i did not see any cops when i dropped him off today. not sure what to think about it. hope they found the kid.

11 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Hayden, I'm truly sorry that you and an untold number of other parents have to worry about this stuff. My own daughter is in college in Upstate New York right now, which is not without worries (re: VaTech), but I find it less miserable than when she was going to school here in town. I still distinctly recall getting that email from her school from a few years ago when the administration calmly explained a male student was found to have a gun on campus.

There's something especially menacing about teenage boys getting their first full dosage of testosterone, full of piss, vinegar, and resentments against their parents and peers, while also having access to deadly weapons that they can use to enact their revenge like they've now seen countless times on the television to serve as inspiration.

Watching this play out with you full of worry and feeling it necessary to watch cops roam this campus, frankly, breaks my heart. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Crockett always has a good amount of police officers nearby cause people at all hours love racing from the emerald forest cross street to the traintracks for some godforsaken reason. There’s usually 2 or 3 cops parked near the Construction Technology building. I know it doesn’t bring much comfort as it’s always reactionary vs proactive, but I believe any kind of response time would be quite small. 

Edited by StassneyHorn

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Crockett always has a good amount of police officers nearby cause people at all hours love racing from the emerald forest cross street to the traintracks for some godforsaken reason. There’s usually 2 or 3 parked near the Construction Technology building. I know it doesn’t bring much comfort as it’s always reactionary vs proactive, but I believe any kind of response time would be quite small. 

Username checks out.

so with all these reports in TX, and additional reports from other schools in MI (closing out of precaution, 'rumors'...) and the added variable of internet/social media connectivity...i wonder if there's some reddit or 4chan/8chan (whatever) group of angry disaffected teens where these are being coordinated?

just seems to be a lot in just a couple of days, including the MI shooter that was 'successful'...

or maybe these 'threats' happen all the time and we never hear about it, i.e., they are 'handled', and the only reason we're hearing about these is b/c one was recently 'successful'...

or maybe it's just hysterical rumors.

Occam's Razor says it's just ^that. hope so b/c while that's sad it's not nearly as sad as the first two options. 😐  

Edited by mchookem

This.
It's this way.  Because this is how we want it to be.  We have affirmatively chosen this path at every possible juncture, there's no denying it's intentional.

I agree with you a lot of the time but NO ONE wants any kid to feel threatened. It might be all we have left to come together about. Our kids.
  • Like 1

Crockett always has a good amount of police officers nearby cause people at all hours love racing from the emerald forest cross street to the traintracks for some godforsaken reason. There’s usually 2 or 3 cops parked near the Construction Technology building. I know it doesn’t bring much comfort as it’s always reactionary vs proactive, but I believe any kind of response time would be quite small. 
lol also live down here and it's bizarre seeing that

only thing i can think of is wanting to beat a potential train and not having to wait 10 minutes

On 12/1/2021 at 2:15 PM, Brisketexan said:

This.

It's this way.  Because this is how we want it to be.  We have affirmatively chosen this path at every possible juncture, there's no denying it's intentional.

Were you this far out on the ledge 30 years ago when the odds of a kid getting shot at school was almost 4 times what they are now?

You don't have to be a fatalistic American society sucks vagina about every fucking thing.  Get some therapy.  Schools are just about the safest place a kid can be.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Were you this far out on the ledge 30 years ago when the odds of a kid getting shot at school was almost 4 times what they are now?

You don't have to be a fatalistic American society sucks vagina about every fucking thing.  Get some therapy.  Schools are just about the safest place a kid can be.

I'm not that way about EVERY fucking thing.  The advances and availability of craft barbecue compared to 20 years ago is a FANTASTIC leap forward, a real sign of progress.  As just one example.

But life is cheap, at the expense of profits and other coarse bullshit, and only getting cheaper.   See us letting murderous dealers of opioids purposefully selling deadly addiction keep their billions with no real consequences, see our kids having active shooter drills as a regular part of their instruction, see a new rise in the gun homicide rate broadly, etc.  We are only becoming less decent, compassionate, and kind, and more selfish and destructive, across the board.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:41 AM, hayden_horn said:

Not that this makes you feel any better.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/travis-county/pd-man-arrested-for-bringing-gun-to-local-high-school-believed-there-was-an-active-shooter-situation/

A 20-year-old man was arrested at Akins High School after Austin ISD police said he brought a gun to the school, believing there was an active shooter due to an earlier threat.

Akins High School went into a lockdown on Dec. 1 after a report that three students had a gun inside of a bathroom. Austin ISD police enacted a lockdown immediately after learning of the report just before 10 a.m.

The school reported students and staff remained safe, and the three students involved were identified and located. Austin ISD reported no shots were fired, and officers never found a gun. Police said they found two ammunition magazines on one of the students in question. 

After the scene was cleared, a young man approached an AISD officer and stated that a nearby man had a gun in his pocket. The officer was able to find the suspect, 20-year-old Luis Guzman. The officer reported in an arrest affidavit that he could see the butt of a gun’s magazine in his front right pocket. 

Guzman told officers “not to worry” because there was “no round in the chamber.” Officers inspected the gun and confirmed the weapon was loaded with 15 rounds in the magazine. 

Guzman told officers that he went to his friend’s house and retrieved the weapon because he thought the school was in an active shooter situation.

School goes into lockdown because of a potential active shooter situation.  20 year-old shows up with a gun because social media states an active shooter situation, and the butt was sticking out of his pocket.

I'm honestly amazed that Guzman is alive.

Rouse High School (Leander ISD) went on lockdown today due to a report of a student with a gun on campus. They found the student in possession of a BB gun. No idea if it was on their person or vehicle, but you have to be a class A dumbass to bring a BB gun to school in this day and age. 

• Rage+1 2

On 12/3/2021 at 11:08 AM, Johnny Sack said:

Are you capable of perusing any thread without bearing your petty ideological grudges like a complete fucking cocksucker?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Bowie went on lockdown today as well for specific threats via meme, tiktok or whatever.

Yep. I was just working my through this thread to mention this. A coworker was texting with her daughter there for a while a little after 1pm about it. The coworker was getting pretty worked up by her daughter's text message saying that her teacher had locked the classroom door and then a few minutes later someone knocked. The daughter's text said something along the lines of "It felt like my soul left my body when they knocked." The coworker called the dad who works for AFD and told him to go pick her up immediately.

It seems kids (and parents) are feeling a bit on edge all across Austin with all these incidents. Keeping my fingers crossed that shit calms down very soon.

Edited by bolverk
added parents

I taught at a school named ABCD in Texas and someone posted on a social media site "not to go the ABCD school because he was going to shoot it up..... Post was from New Mexico. Well the panic calls were already made and all the mamas picked up their kids. We were probably at 25% capacity by day's end.

Hutto not fucking around.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/hutto-high-student-arrested-removed-from-school-after-social-media-threat/

A Hutto High School student has been arrested after law enforcement identified a threat made to the school on social media.

In a letter sent to parents Friday, Hutto ISD said the student has been charged with false report, a state jail felony, and has been taken to the Williamson County Juvenile Detention Center.

The student will be removed from the high school and placed in the Disciplinary Alternative Education Program, the letter said.

The post was found Friday morning, Hutto ISD said. The threat also included a backpack and a gun emoji.

“Threats of any kind will not be tolerated,” the letter stated. “Hutto ISD Police will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.”

The student did not have a weapon when they were detained by Hutto ISD Police.

On 12/3/2021 at 11:08 AM, Johnny Sack said:

People didn’t have to be this far out on the limb 30 years ago because society wasn’t this far along in its polarized nature.

If Sandy Hook happened in the 80’s (which I realize is more than 30 years ago) there would have been a bipartisan push for gun regulation (see the Brady Bill after Reagan’s assassination attempt). But our society is so fragmented and polarized that couldn’t happen 30 years later.

If that switch in societal norms doesn’t concern you, we’re having different discussions. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, hornian said:

People didn’t have to be this far out on the limb 30 years ago because society wasn’t this far along in its polarized nature.

If Sandy Hook happened in the 80’s (which I realize is more than 30 years ago) there would have been a bipartisan push for gun regulation (see the Brady Bill after Reagan’s assassination attempt). But our society is so fragmented and polarized that couldn’t happen 30 years later.

If that switch in societal norms doesn’t concern you, we’re having different discussions. 

I disagree.  30 years ago the gun murder rate in schools was three times what it is today and there wasn’t some big push for legislation 

This was sent out today.  Nothing specific to AISD, but they are monitoring.

Austin ISD Police are monitoring social media posts of a non-specific school shooting threat on Friday, Dec. 17. 

These threats in no way mention any Austin ISD school and are believed to be part of a nationwide trend. However, Austin ISD Police take all threats of violence seriously and investigate each threat thoroughly by working with local, state, and federal partners. We will have additional security measures in place tomorrow to ensure the safety of our students and staff.

We also work closely with campus administrators and counselors to keep families informed of any updates or safety concerns as the investigation continues.

Unfortunately, we’ve seen a trend of reposting messages that have no relation to our city, area or schools and many of the threats end up being hoaxes.

28 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

yeah, i got that and my wife got one that was virtually the same, being an aisd employee. 

seems to be going around as a thing. 

and you're crazy if you don't think that 30 years ago vs now is a massively different environment with social media and ubiquitous mobile phones in the equation.

50 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

may be kids trying to get an extra day of winter break.  Pretty stupid way to do it but thinking back to high school there were a lot of clueless kids huffing paint thinner and stuff.

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

may be kids trying to get an extra day of winter break.  Pretty stupid way to do it but thinking back to high school there were a lot of clueless kids huffing paint thinner and stuff.

Back in high school, a group of friends and I from our sophomore-senior years, we all took some kind of shop class at the end of the day.  Woodworking, metalworking, electrical, automotive, etc.  We just wanted something at the end of the day that was somewhat blow-off for us, that we could do other homework in, etc., that we didn't have any take-home work, etc.

They had to keep anything that a kid could remotely fuck around with like paint thinner locked up.  Like really locked up, only the shop teachers and a few others could access it, and if something came out, it had to be signed out, and there had to be a teacher with you while you were using it.  Because yeah, some of those kids would fuck around and find out, especially the headbangers and skaters.  Some of those motherfuckers would huff anything.

In thinking about it, those classes were extremely useful later in life.

But that was 30 years ago, and I don't even know if they have such classes anymore.  Get off my lawn!

53F2X6.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Welp so O.Henry had 6 kids take drug laced gummies today bringing a rash of cops to school, a fight in the hallway and now a tiktok thread about shooting the school up.

I am not sure I will be keeping my 6th grader there for the long haul. My older son made it all the way through there and it seems like post Covid the place has just come off the fucking rails.

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Welp so O.Henry had 6 kids take drug laced gummies today bringing a rash of cops to school, a fight in the hallway and now a tiktok thread about shooting the school up.

I am not sure I will be keeping my 6th grader there for the long haul. My older son made it all the way through there and it seems like post Covid the place has just come off the fucking rails.

That’s the 78703 middle school?  It’s been a few years.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Back in high school, a group of friends and I from our sophomore-senior years, we all took some kind of shop class at the end of the day.  Woodworking, metalworking, electrical, automotive, etc.  We just wanted something at the end of the day that was somewhat blow-off for us, that we could do other homework in, etc., that we didn't have any take-home work, etc.

In thinking about it, those classes were extremely useful later in life.

But that was 30 years ago, and I don't even know if they have such classes anymore.  Get off my lawn!

I had a really high PSAT score so I knew I'd have no trouble getting into UT (this was back in the 70's), so I blew off taking Physics and Calculus in my senior year and took a typing class and an internal combustion engine class instead.  I use the typing skills everyday, and it's helpful to understand how engines work so I can better troubleshoot my vehicles, tractor, power equipment, etc. when they are on the blink (and to be able to call bullshit on some mechanics and their service recommendations.) 

Screw Physics, but I did eventually have to do Calculus at UT!  I count it all as good decisions these many years later.

P.S. -- Sorry about the thread derail. 

Back to topic -- If you can't be confident about what is going on in a Middle School in Tarrytown -- it's time to find another school.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

18 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Back to topic -- If you can't be confident about what is going on in a Middle School in Tarrytown -- it's time to find another school.

O. Henry is a very run of the mill public middle school. A lot of TT kids skip it and go private between going to Casis and Austin High. 

At least that was the case 15 years ago. 

Sounds like it's still the case per Brazil's comment haha. 

Edited by ztejas

25 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I had a really high PSAT score so I knew I'd have no trouble getting into UT (this was back in the 70's), so I blew off taking Physics and Calculus in my senior year and took a typing class and an internal combustion engine class instead.  I use the typing skills everyday, and it's helpful to understand how engines work so I can better troubleshoot my vehicles, tractor, power equipment, etc. when they are on the blink (and to be able to call bullshit on some mechanics and their service recommendations.) 

Screw Physics, but I did eventually have to do Calculus at UT!  I count it all as good decisions these many years later.

P.S. -- Sorry about the thread derail. 

Typing is the only useful life skill I learned in high school.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

We're in the exact same boat.  I am actively weighing options.

Prob overreacting, but might just keep mine home tomorrow instead of going just for movie day.  I get that the shooting threats are likely part of a sick trend, but there have been enough random fights in the hallways and cafeteria just in the last few weeks that I'd rather cut my losses and let the shit subside over the holidays.

• Like 1