Is a fake slide an acceptable move ?

Onboard 2.0

ACC Championship game yesterday.  Pitt QB, a pretty good QB, makes a nice escape, and ultimately runs for a 50 yd. TD.  Along the way 2 Wake Forest players converge on him, and he makes what appears to be a pretty obvious attempt to begin a slide, and the WF players appear to let up a bit.  He then pulls up, and continues to run.

The question is bush league move or all's fair in football ?  

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

This. Change or amend the rule then. It was fucking awesome. 

The rule says you’re down when you start your slide. He didn’t find a loophole, the rule wasn’t properly applied. And it’s bullshit anyway and the kind of thing that will lead to some really dangerous play 

5 minutes ago, po elvis said:

If the ball is dead where you start the slide, ball should be dead. He started the slide, just didn’t finish it. The start of the slide starts where he can’t be hit.

Is this the rule in college too or just the pros? 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Literally no one here is hating the player…..

raises hand

It's pansy-ass bullshit.  Same as when guys slide late after contact is inevitable, hoping to get the 15 yard flag.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bush league.

Don't live under the blanket of protection from the rule set and then be a fucking bitch.

Next time, the defense might not give a fuck about the rules either.  There's ways to teach lessons in sports.

2 minutes ago, RabidM said:

They just need to fix the rule. A fake slide = real slide... dead at the spot where the fake slide started.

and a 5yd delay of game, just like running after calling for a fair catch.

the rules already says:

the ball is dead when….

a ball carrier obviously begins a feet first slide.

a ball carrier simulates putting his knee on the ground.

Obviously he didn’t simulate putting a knee on the ground but the simulation of a slide is pretty much the same thing.

Edited by po elvis
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, po elvis said:

the rules already says:

the ball is dead when….

a ball carrier obviously begins a feet first slide.

a ball carrier simulates putting his knee on the ground.

Obviously he didn’t simulate putting a knee on the ground but the simulation of a slide is pretty much the same thing.

The coach after the game said something about having someone fake a knee all the way down the field so he didn’t even know the rules. Apparently the officials didn’t either 

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I thought it was fucking great 

22 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It should be a penalty imo. Defenders have to pull up or risk being ejected. 

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This. Change or amend the rule then. It was fucking awesome. 

I thought that it was awesome, but the move should be outlawed immediately, even before the bowl games. 

Absolutely no way that that should be legal in a world of QB protection. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The coach after the game said something about having someone fake a knee all the way down the field so he didn’t even know the rules. Apparently the officials didn’t either 

In one of Mike Leach's last visits to Austin, right before halftime, he instructed his QB to fake a knee (which would have ended the half) and then stand up and throw it deep. Without his knee actually hitting the ground, the refs blew the play dead, and the clock expired.  Leach made a grand production out of acting like he'd been jobbed... walked out to midfield with palms up and both arms over his head in a "WTF?" gesture.  And you could read the ref's lips saying over and over again, "That's the rule."  Leach didn't know the rule either.

• Hook 'Em 2

Now that I think about it, he might have screwed every QB.

If I run a defense, I tell my players they better never pull up ...  And I tell myHC, AD, conference, and ESPN that my players cannot get asked too read minds and guess... And that we're going to assume every slide is a potential fake that will cost us a game..

The rule will change this spring if any defensive coaches are paying attention, because of it doesn't, every QB and WR will be Practing a fake slide this spring and summer.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, naija said:

how do you regulate something like that? you want replays for jukes...?

Get rid of the slide rule?

Or treat it like unsportsmanlike & fair catch.  You start to slide play is dead.  if you keep running 15 yard penalty.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There's no debating if he faked a slide. He said he did after the game.  And you absolutely don't want other quarterbacks trying it because it's going to cause lots of problems and potentially bad things.

"Why'd you nail the QB after he obviously let up and surrendered himself?"

Every defender going forward, "i thought he was faking."