when does the United States crumble? will it happen in our lifetimes?

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

Is that a good thing? Tell me how your hypocrisy is okay, but people have to say the Jan 6 was terrible.

Nobody is saying it's okay (and that doesn't even get into the distortion of facts in the statement).  We're saying it's fucking INSANE to try and compare January 6th to ANY of the shit that came before.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster

As someone who did not vote for trump, or the democrat candidate in 16 or 20, and is a centrist at heart, it’s pretty clear when you take off your glasses that the ultra-trumpist right and the ultra progressive left have both attacked the halls of democracy. I’ll leave it at that 

What the absolute fuck? One is “a group of people with whom I disagree about many things.” Another is “a group of people who literally tried to overthrow the government and have vowed to try again, with the support of many high level officials.”

We don’t recover from that. That’s why we crumble. Not because some people have shitty ideas. But because many of them - enabled by an entire major party political apparatus - are going to do an end-around on the political process altogether and install an unelected government.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

So the nation can recover from an actual civil war, but not a potential civil war.  

The reason that this topic can't help but turn political is because the widespread messaging suggesting the looming end of our republic comes from fear based political propaganda designed to turn out the vote.  That is why the two ideas are intimately linked when this topic comes up.  The fate of the very existence of our nation hangs on the result of this next election, so don't sit at home and let human civilization crumble.  They pump this bullshit so much that it has been ingrained in people’s minds and now the idea can't simply be switched off.  Now every news story and every negative aspect of modern society is interpreted as a sign of the inevitable collapse, and if you don’t see it it’s because your eyes haven’t been opened to the truth.  No amount of real data about the progress of civilization will convince the doom and gloom zealots that the nation is not actually going to hell in a handbasket.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, synoptic said:

So the nation can recover from an actual civil war, but not a potential civil war.  

The reason that this topic can't help but turn political is because the widespread messaging suggesting the looming end of our republic comes from fear based political propaganda designed to turn out the vote.  That is why the two ideas are intimately linked when this topic comes up.  The fate of the very existence of our nation hangs on the result of this next election, so don't sit at home and let human civilization crumble.  They pump this bullshit so much that it has been ingrained in people’s minds and now the idea can't simply be switched off.  Now every news story and every negative aspect of modern society is interpreted as a sign of the inevitable collapse, and if you don’t see it it’s because your eyes haven’t been opened to the truth.  No amount of real data about the progress of civilization will convince the doom and gloom zealots that the nation is not actually going to hell in a handbasket.  

100%. Both the purveyors and consumers of political propaganda have become consciously or subconsciously addicted to it. I'm sure it is the same proximity bias, but it amazes me the more information we have access to it seems to more ignorant the average person is of reality.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, synoptic said:

Precisely.  Like how I throw a grenade into the campfire and got 10 people squirting on their cucumber. 

• Haha 1

Yeah if you threw a grenade into a campfire that would be rational to do. Just like it was rational to be alarmed about COVID-19 (and foolish/childish to dismiss it as much ado about nothing) and just like it is rational to be alarmed about a violent attack on the transition of power incited by the outgoing president (and idiotic/unpatriotic to dismiss it as mere politics).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah if you threw a grenade into a campfire that would be rational to do. Just like it was rational to be alarmed about COVID-19 (and foolish/childish to dismiss it as much ado about nothing) and just like it is rational to be alarmed about a violent attack on the transition of power incited by the outgoing president (and idiotic/unpatriotic to dismiss it as mere politics).

Go look at my myriad posts in the original Covid thread that got CR’d a few months back and you’ll see where I stood and where I knew it was heading months before it hit the news wire.  And like I said, I roundly rejected Jan 6 and have posts about that as well.  

Edited by Trey3216

14 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Go look at my myriad posts in the original Covid thread that got CR’d a few months back and you’ll see where I stood and where I knew it was heading months before it hit the news wire.  And like I said, I roundly rejected Jan 6 and have posts about that as well.  

Don’t know or care about your opinion on COVID, that’s just the other big target for people doing the folksy mad libs “look at all the ladies running around like a duck in pig slop” while pointing at people concerned with a historical disaster. I am saying you are dismissing/trivializing December 6th because you have done that several times in this thread.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, synoptic said:

i lnever watch the news, i don't have a facebook, i use reddit follow my soccer team, and i post pretty photos on instagram once or twice a month. that's the extent of my media, be it news or social. there's some iteration of your post on every page of this thread, and you guys all say it with so much confidence, as it's the most factually correct thing that's ever been said, when in reality it's nothing more than your own less-than-stellar opinion. i'm the guy who's asking the question, and yet you're telling me that i'm only asking it because the media has scared me into doing so, and that everything is fine. wrong. shit is tenuous, at best, right now, for a lot of people, and there's a category 5 shit storm brewing on the horizon, and it's gonna be there whether the news talks about it or not. the only question is if/when it will touch land. convincing yourself that the storm doesn't exist doesn't do anybody any good.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

😁 That truck thread example stuck out to me because of the RAPID turnaround from "man you just can't buy a cheap truck no more!" to "OK they exist new for 20 grand and you can get a nicely equipped one for low 30s but I need leather seats that suck the heat out of my asshole or no deal".

Base price for a Honda Fit is $16,190, in 1994 the bottom of the line Chevy Cavalier was $11,000. I know if we extend back into the late 70s there was a huge jump. It probably feels like I'm picking a nit here and I'm not really trying to, I just feel like housing is on the level of a crisis while cars are.... as always a huge expense for people scraping by and definitely the biggest stupid purchase that people across a lot of income levels make, but I feel like a lot of the "average price of" math comes from (to go back to the trucks) $80,000 F-150s that just didn't used to be a thing at all.

*edit*

maybe to tie back to the point a bit more - the thing that makes housing expensive is the location. And again where it's expensive to be poor - you don't have to get the burled walnut f150 platinum with baseball glove asshole sucking leather seats to have transportation, but if you're trying to work in <insert place where opportunity exists in 2020> and you don't have a bundle of cash, you can't just choose to get a smaller house with formica counters and solve your housing problem. Those houses are still fucking expensive, and the apartments are too. (and so you end up in an exurb and burn time/gas getting to work)

The main thing is, a house that poors can afford doesn't represent a good investment, usually.  It may not even be a "savings vehicle" because the value is pretty likely to decline in the 'hoods they can afford now.

It's certainly not the solid to fantastic investment those of us buying in upper-middle hoods with good schools get.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

100%. Both the purveyors and consumers of political propaganda have become consciously or subconsciously addicted to it. I'm sure it is the same proximity bias, but it amazes me the more information we have access to it seems to more ignorant the average person is of reality.

man. i can't help but respect how deeply convicted you are in your belief that you've got everything all figured out, while the rest of us lemmings are just pawns in Big Media's game to convince us that things are bad when in reality everything is awesome. 

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Don’t know or care about your opinion on COVID, that’s just the other big target for people doing the folksy mad libs “look at all the ladies running around like a duck in pig slop” while pointing at people concerned with a historical disaster. I am saying you are dismissing/trivializing December 6th because you have done that several times in this thread.

Wtf happened on December 6th 😉

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

man. i can't help but respect how deeply convicted you are in your belief that you've got everything all figured out, while the rest of us lemmings are just pawns in Big Media's game to convince us that things are bad when in reality everything is

Edited by Trey3216

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i lnever watch the news, i don't have a facebook, i use reddit follow my soccer team, and i post pretty photos on instagram once or twice a month. that's the extent of my media, be it news or social. there's some iteration of your post on every page of this thread, and you guys all say it with so much confidence, as it's the most factually correct thing that's ever been said, when in reality it's nothing more than your own less-than-stellar opinion. i'm the guy who's asking the question, and yet you're telling me that i'm only asking it because the media has scared me into doing so, and that everything is fine. wrong. shit is tenuous, at best, right now, for a lot of people, and there's a category 5 shit storm brewing on the horizon, and it's gonna be there whether the news talks about it or not. the only question is if/when it will touch land. convincing yourself that the storm doesn't exist doesn't do anybody any good.

There is some version of your post on virtually every social media outlet - society is not sustainable, the disintegration of everything we hold dear, predicting or suggesting the crumbling of the republic.  Storms a ‘brewing and bad shit on the horizons.   What virtually all these claims have in common is that none of them are verifiable or falsifiable.   It is even worse than the end of the world zealots, because at least they occasionally will make a falsifiable claim (e.g. the world will cease to exist on March 15, 2019).  We don’t even get that courtesy with the end of the republic zealots.  They make no concrete claims nor give any timelines.  Just general feelings about how we are in for some unprecedented bad shit.

How do you define “crumbled”?   Do you think there will be a civil war?  Will some states secede?  Will martial law be declared?  If so, when do you think any of this will happen?  Make some concrete claim and we can discuss.  All of these discussions are predicated on nebulous claims and vague predications that merely express general concern about the direction the nation is heading.  Even in this thread, a poster above claimed that the nation will probably continue on, but in some abstract notion the nation is already gone.  It is not even meaningful to refute these claims because they say nothing concrete.    

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, synoptic said:

There is some version of your post on virtually every social media outlet - society is not sustainable, the disintegration of everything we hold dear, predicting or suggesting the crumbling of the republic.  Storms a ‘brewing and bad shit on the horizons.   What virtually all these claims have in common is that none of them are verifiable or falsifiable.   It is even worse than the end of the world zealots, because at least they occasionally will make a falsifiable claim (e.g. the world will cease to exist on March 15, 2019).  We don’t even get that courtesy with the end of the republic zealots.  They make no concrete claims nor give any timelines.  Just general feelings about how we are in for some unprecedented bad shit.

How do you define “crumbled”?   Do you think there will be a civil war?  Will some states secede?  Will martial law be declared?  If so, when do you think any of this will happen?  Make some concrete claim and we can discuss.  All of these discussions are predicated on nebulous claims and vague predications that merely express general concern about the direction the nation is heading.  Even in this thread, a poster above claimed that the nation will probably continue on, but in some abstract notion the nation is already gone.  It is not even meaningful to refute these claims because they say nothing concrete.    

ive given my thoughts and answers to these questions in my OP. climate change and its impact on the global economy is my biggest fear re: the dissolution of the USA as we know it, and i've stated that i'm open to/looking for all other thoughts and opinions on the subject. i'm now ready to amend that statement to say that i've crossed off "everything is fine, the media is just tricking you" from my list of things that i'm open to exploring and discussing.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

ive given my thoughts and answers to these questions in my OP. climate change and its impact on the global economy is my biggest fear re: the dissolution of the USA as we know it, and i've stated that i'm open to/looking for all other thoughts and opinions on the subject. i'm now ready to amend that statement to say that i've crossed off "everything is fine, the media is just tricking you" from my list of things that i'm open to exploring and discussing.

You’re more worried about it for the USA than other countries?  Lol.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

man. i can't help but respect how deeply convicted you are in your belief that you've got everything all figured out, while the rest of us lemmings are just pawns in Big Media's game to convince us that things are bad when in reality everything is awesome. 

Thank you. The recipe is not terribly difficult:

- Find meaning in your life besides online redmeat outrage

- Trust but verify what people tell you 

- Hold true the core principles regardless of which political party is promoting or violating them

- Respect that people have diverse opinions and tolerate them and resist the urge to consider your fellow citizens as enemies

Edited by Harrison Bergeron
  • Hook 'Em 4

You’re more worried about it for the USA than other countries?  Lol.  

It’s weird because both these statements are accurate. Climate change is the most likely trigger for some sort of major breakdown. It’s also true that the US is relatively well positioned compared to most nations. Just dismissing it with a lol because of that is dumb, but it needs to be taken into account.

I’m still in my 20s. I remember growing up reading and and thinking that overpopulation would really do the US & the whole world in. Now it looks like that is very unlikely to happen, and it actually seems more likely that the opposite is going to be a problem in the future. So that’s one win at least? 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’m still in my 20s. I remember growing up reading and and thinking that overpopulation would really do the US & the whole world in. Now it looks like that is very unlikely to happen, and it actually seems more likely that the opposite is going to be a problem in the future. So that’s one win at least? 

Malthus was wrong, and I don't know why anyone really believed him. I believe in the utopian rat experiment more than his statements.

54 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Thank you. The recipe is not terribly difficult:

- Find meaning in your life besides online redmeat outrage

- Trust but verify what people tell you 

- Hold true the core principles regardless of which political party is promoting or violating them

- Respect that people have diverse opinions and tolerate them and resist the urge to consider your fellow citizens as enemies

aint nobody got time for that GIF

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Malthus, Ehrlich, Gore Jr. ... climate hysterics are matched only by fringe Protestant preachers in their predictions of the end of the world and the related batting averages.

I’ve never heard of Malthus or anyone else you mentioned. I was just using my own common sense from reading about population growth. Population rapidly growing + finite resources is a bad combo. Now birth rates have plummeted and life expectancy is slightly falling too. It’s at the point where some people think we might see peak human population in our lifetimes. I don’t believe that’ll happen, but I do think the growth rate will keep slowing down, eventually going negative in the next century. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’ve never heard of Malthus or anyone else you mentioned. I was just using my own common sense from reading about population growth. Population rapidly growing + finite resources is a bad combo. Now birth rates have plummeted and life expectancy is slightly falling too. It’s at the point where some people think we might see peak human population in our lifetimes. I don’t believe that’ll happen, but I do think the growth rate will keep slowing down, eventually going negative in the next century. 

If you have time, this is pretty indepth description of the experiment I was talking about. If anything, it'll give you how the rats of NIMH got their name.

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Are you talking US population or global?  As developing countries keep coming up, I fully expect their birthrates to go up as well. 

On 12/14/2021 at 2:02 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Good news does not sell you silly, silly man...  24 hour news cycle out front should have told ya. : )

Our daughter was doing her graduation weekend commencements (2014), and one of the speakers was a former Hillary Clinton aid.  He talked about how the world was a much better place than it had ever been.  He went down a long laundry list (similar to the 100 person chart).  He had a very positive outlook on where we were, and where we were going.

It's why I scream from the rooftops about school shootings.  99.9 percent of the people in this country thinks that kids in school are at far greater risk from getting murdered at school by a gun than they were 30 years ago.  It isn't true.  Statistically the gun homicide rate in schools was a third of what it was 30 years ago.  Yes, in 1991-92, a kid was three times more likely to get shot and killed while at school than today.  But no one can believe it because now we have media and social media that ignore data and sensationalize everything.

33 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

It's why I scream from the rooftops about school shootings.  99.9 percent of the people in this country thinks that kids in school are at far greater risk from getting murdered at school by a gun than they were 30 years ago.  It isn't true.  Statistically the gun homicide rate in schools was a third of what it was 30 years ago.  Yes, in 1991-92, a kid was three times more likely to get shot and killed while at school than today.  But no one can believe it because now we have media and social media that ignore data and sensationalize everything.

We both know damn well the difference between those types of shootings. You can't fault parents for being more afraid of the types and locations of school shootings today than the ones that happened when you and I were coming up.  We both know precisely what we're talking about, so let's just go ahead and rip the racial band-aid off and say it. 

I went to a high school where nearly all the black and some hispanic kids went through metal detectors just immediately outside SW Chicago (4000 students, 30-40% students of color).  Lots and Lots and Lots of kids shot other kids at school as part of gang beefs and drug deals gone sideways all over Chicago in those years...the 30 YEAR stat window you mention.  Yes, it was obviously a heart-breaking loss of life.  But people, from children to parents to politicians, understood...and I hate to say it this way, "It was all in the Game."  Technically, fewer children under 18 die on school premises these days because of measures implemented after all the 80's & 90's gang shootouts on campus (the gangsters didn't need long to realize that there were fewer cops on campus than there were on street corners...cops needed years to figure that part out and install security, metal detectors, and cameras at schools).  But the reason we have heightened concern these days around "school shootings" is their random nature, the ability for so many to be killed in such a short timeframe because of the weaponry involved, and because the 20/20 hindsight in missing the clues left by the shooters that we missed.  This is gonna sound stereotypical as fuck, but I don't care because we need to communicate a message to the ignorant.  L'Quandre didn't post to social media in 1991 that he was gonna gun down 'dem crackers that fucked with him.  If he did, 3 cops would have busted down his front door at midnight and dragged his ass to Juvy.  But fucking Jacob or Kenneth says some shit like that, their parents buy him a fucking high-capacity weapon and tell him he's special.  Yes, less dead kids of color at inner city high schools these days, but 10 kids wounded a suburban high school by another classmate?  Way the fuck more common these days.  

12 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I think birth rate is one of these weird things that incels focus on. my brother in law basically posts let's go brandon, crypto stuff, and weird shit about birth rates and third wave feminism. I'm assuming this is some youtube suggested video vortex.

Crypto is just crystals for men 

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Crypto is just crystals for men 

24 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Nicolas Coppola IS the glitch in The Matrix!  Lulz.

Simulation part 2: Jewel just won the "Masked Singer" show. Singing mostly in a Spanish/French accent?  Or we are just old? If Mr. T starts showing up for AARP saying I pity the fool who doesn't get readers....

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

We both know damn well the difference between those types of shootings. You can't fault parents for being more afraid of the types and locations of school shootings today than the ones that happened when you and I were coming up.  We both know precisely what we're talking about, so let's just go ahead and rip the racial band-aid off and say it. 

I went to a high school where nearly all the black and some hispanic kids went through metal detectors just immediately outside SW Chicago (4000 students, 30-40% students of color).  Lots and Lots and Lots of kids shot other kids at school as part of gang beefs and drug deals gone sideways all over Chicago in those years...the 30 YEAR stat window you mention.  Yes, it was obviously a heart-breaking loss of life.  But people, from children to parents to politicians, understood...and I hate to say it this way, "It was all in the Game."  Technically, fewer children under 18 die on school premises these days because of measures implemented after all the 80's & 90's gang shootouts on campus (the gangsters didn't need long to realize that there were fewer cops on campus than there were on street corners...cops needed years to figure that part out and install security, metal detectors, and cameras at schools).  But the reason we have heightened concern these days around "school shootings" is their random nature, the ability for so many to be killed in such a short timeframe because of the weaponry involved, and because the 20/20 hindsight in missing the clues left by the shooters that we missed.  This is gonna sound stereotypical as fuck, but I don't care because we need to communicate a message to the ignorant.  L'Quandre didn't post to social media in 1991 that he was gonna gun down 'dem crackers that fucked with him.  If he did, 3 cops would have busted down his front door at midnight and dragged his ass to Juvy.  But fucking Jacob or Kenneth says some shit like that, their parents buy him a fucking high-capacity weapon and tell him he's special.  Yes, less dead kids of color at inner city high schools these days, but 10 kids wounded a suburban high school by another classmate?  Way the fuck more common these days.  

You could just simply say that you don't care if colored folks shot each other in the past in a lot fewer words. You wouldn't sound any more racist.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 12/14/2021 at 4:12 PM, Trey3216 said:

As someone who did not vote for trump, or the democrat candidate in 16 or 20, and is a centrist at heart, it’s pretty clear when you take off your glasses that the ultra-trumpist right and the ultra progressive left have both attacked the halls of democracy. I’ll leave it at that 

And since you didnt vote your opinion means precisely dick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 6:58 PM, shadow_operative said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_R._Ehrlich