2022 Transfer QB Quinn Ewers

Getafix

9 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Hey Vito, in '81-82, TM and I had an apt. on 37th that overlooked Guadalupe.  Angles was on the SW corner of 37th & Guad, NW corner was the Outhouse, and behind the Outhouse was the little bar you're talking about.  We used to go there once in awhile.  I would have sworn it was called Uncle Nasty's back then, but maybe it was Magoo's?

CS, it could have been, I’m even wondering now if it wasn’t actually Guadalupe, but maybe a parallel street a couple blocks over like Lamar. But is does seem like I’ve been to a place named Magoo’s… 

47 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Hey Vito, in '81-82, TM and I had an apt. on 37th that overlooked Guadalupe.  Angles was on the SW corner of 37th & Guad, NW corner was the Outhouse, and behind the Outhouse was the little bar you're talking about.  We used to go there once in awhile.  I would have sworn it was called Uncle Nasty's back then, but maybe it was Magoo's?

It was called Uncle Nastys.  They served everclear margaritas.

• Hook 'Em 8

11 hours ago, cafe society said:

Valentines was a bar back then and even though I can't quite recall where it was, it wasn't where Uncle Nasty's/Nasty's was located.  I may even have an old matchpack from Valentines.  

Wasn’t Valentines one of the places at the bottom of Tri Towers that later became Papers or Tricky Mickey’s?

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/4/2022 at 9:33 AM, BonzoMontreaux said:

Could never drink Lone Star.  I was pretty much known to drink a lot back in high school.  End of senior year I was out water skiing with my girlfriend and her older brother and he handed me a Lone Star, took two sips and sank it in the lake.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound like a pussy

• Hook 'Em 2

Lone Star always tasted like club soda with natural and artificial metal flavor.  Which I kinda fancy.

In any case, I find it hard to imagine that surly would think that getting sick on Mickey's is more of a right of passage than a pussy move.

Surly hates wasting beer and littering in our lovely brown Texas lakes.

Have to score this one for Dennis.

On 3/4/2022 at 7:25 PM, Deej said:

When I was growing up in Austin, everyone drank Schlitz.

Growing up, same here.  It's what my dad used when making his homemade BBQ sauce.  I used it for years and then there were times I couldn't find it and never found another beer that worked as well.  On the rare occasion I've found it in the last couple of years it wasn't worth a damn.  I don't know whether they changed the recipe or what, but it's definitely not the same.

11 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Lone Star always tasted like club soda with natural and artificial metal flavor.  Which I kinda fancy.

In any case, I find it hard to imagine that surly would think that getting sick on Mickey's is more of a right of passage than a pussy move.

Surly hates wasting beer and littering in our lovely brown Texas lakes.

Have to score this one for Dennis.

When your right of passage is getting sick on Jack Daniels and Mello-Yello and whatever else we could get from vending machine (@ 17 - re: Dumbass), I can call out Mickeys being weak.  That being said, I have hurled to Mickeys.

As far as wasting beer, again young, but propensity for drinking about anything you put in front of me (see above) except Lone Star.

On 3/6/2022 at 8:07 AM, Ignatius said:

Wasn’t Valentines one of the places at the bottom of Tri Towers that later became Papers or Tricky Mickey’s?

Nah, Valentine's was either on San Antonio or Nueces, north of 24th.  They tore it down sometime in the mid-80's, as I recall, and built condos, maybe Centennial Condos.

8 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Nah, Valentine's was either on San Antonio or Nueces, north of 24th.  They tore it down sometime in the mid-80's, as I recall, and built condos, maybe Centennial Condos.

Renegades was the other tri-towers bar

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

A case of Bohemia or Carta Blanca for 15 Pesos ($1.20 at the time).

Going across the border in Brownsville and buying cases of corona for $4  and then heading to Padre was how I spent most summers in high school.   Throw in a couple bottles of Cuervo Gold for a $1.50 and parking on Children's Beach and night surfing (sorta) was an instant great time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TheAuditor said:

Going across the border in Brownsville and buying cases of corona for $4  and then heading to Padre was how I spent most summers in high school.   Throw in a couple bottles of Cuervo Gold for a $1.50 and parking on Children's Beach and night surfing (sorta) was an instant great time. 

Did the same, except we called it Bowie beach.

5 hours ago, sunset87 said:

Ah, was it in the building that was behind the Hole In The Wall across from Centennial? When I was a freshman that placed was called Uncle SuSu’s, and later became JD’s Pub & Grub….

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jwtexan said:

FCB looks like a walking pile of crap with a toupee on top. Holy crap those are some hard years he has put on himself. 

The way he searches for words and randomly dials up his outside voice while inside doing an interview has me thinking that he is a little drunk when he records these things.

That stupid grin on his face doesn’t help his case.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Ah, was it in the building that was behind the Hole In The Wall across from Centennial? When I was a freshman that placed was called Uncle SuSu’s, and later became JD’s Pub & Grub….

I think it was across the street from Uncle SuSu’s, where Centennial is now. I think it was torn down with other buildings so they could build the condos. Probably in 82’ or 83’. SuSu’s was opened a little later.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I bet the Spanish-American war was epic for cheap brew 

I don't believe that the German brewers had immigrated to the Tropics by the time of the Spanish-American War.  (April 21st, 1898-Dec 10, 1898)

Rum? (a.k.a. "Ron")... Sí!

Beer? (a.k.a. "Cerveza")... No!

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2022 at 8:13 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

We use to affectionately call those fisharitas, because the pitchers and glasses they were served in were cleaned in some skanky dishwater which gave them a nice fishy odor.  This was especially the case when it was crowded at happy hour and the bar back would dip the pitchers and glasses in the skank water for about 2 seconds.  They were in such a hurry that they didn't change the water very often. 

Always figured the everclear would disinfect... made sense at the time. We didn't notice the smell after a few anyway.

Oh, and the picture of Ewers looks like some of the dudes that used to work there.

Edited by sunset87
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/5/2022 at 11:47 AM, Scholz said:

Nasty’s?

On 3/5/2022 at 9:13 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Man I killed a lot of brain cells there. Seem to recall it was a big hangout for the rugby team. 

Party Barn was the drive through beer keg place a little further up. 

Worst beer I ever got was Blatz Beer, bought at the Pearl Street Market. Even at $4.99 a 12-pack my indiscriminate college palate couldn’t get through it. I’d rather go with the gallon jug of Carlo Rossi Paisano over ice. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

HEB had a beer called Sports or Sportz in the early 2000s.  Definitely the worst beer I ever had, but it was $4 for a 12 pack.  

edit:  Apparently I missed an earlier post speaking of the merits of Sportz.

Edited by Moderator
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1