Joe Biden 2022: Enter Dark Brandon

Longboard Horn

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Meme Reaction GIF

Fun fact: I am seeking loan forgiveness through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. Must have 10 years of public service, and 10 years worth (120) of qualifying payments in order to have the loans forgiven. Even though loan payments were paused in March 2020, each month since has been counted towards the 120. That alone has saved me roughly $30k in repayments. Thanks Covid, thanks Donny, and thanks Uncle Joe.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Fun fact: I am seeking loan forgiveness through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. Must have 10 years of public service, and 10 years worth (120) of qualifying payments in order to have the loans forgiven. Even though loan payments were paused in March 2020, each month since has been counted towards the 120. That alone has saved me roughly $30k in repayments. Thanks Covid, thanks Donny, and thanks Uncle Joe.

Samesies!

• Hook 'Em 2

A rail strike longer than a few days is a true black swan event.  Biden subverting the union should tell you all you really need to know.  I believe he is earnest in his statement regarding his pro-labor positions.  Surprised he doesn't try an executive order, but I guess he is only willing to take so much heat.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

since I'm not learned on this subject, what do you think the biden admin should have done? I'd like to understand the issue better

Railroad unions are a unique beast (federal government plays a lot bigger role here than building trades unions that I’m much more familiar with), but the main sticking point from the 12 different unions was a lack of sick days and paid time off that wasn’t addressed in the bargain struck in September. 

Biden admin could have taken the negative feedback from the initial September contract and gone back into arbitration to work to get sick days/pto added to the contract. Instead they are asking Congress to enforce the September contract an eliminate any option of the unions to strike  

This is not a good look from "the most pro-union president". You gotta have a little backbone and stand up to the monopolized railroads that depend on wrenching every drop of sweat from their workforce. 

This NPR piece did a good job talking about it a month or so ago:

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/26/1131672604/railroad-union-vote-down-biden-tentative-agreement-strike

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Biden subverting the union should tell you all you really need to know.

From the WH statement. (Maybe a problem that could fuck all of us up is something we could discuss without misinformation)?

“This agreement was approved by labor and management negotiators in September. On the day that it was announced, labor leaders, business leaders, and elected officials all hailed it as a fair resolution of the dispute between the hard-working men and women of the rail freight unions and the companies in that industry.

….

Since that time, the majority of the unions in the industry have voted to approve the deal.“”

The statement went on to say:

I share workers’ concern about the inability to take leave to recover from illness or care for a sick family member. No one should have to choose between their job and their health – or the health of their children. I have pressed legislation and proposals to advance the cause of paid leave in my two years in office, and will continue to do so. Every other developed country in the world has such protections for its workers”

I get why the left is pissed, (sold out the unions? I don’t see it,) but I much prefer this type of controversy to the chaos created daily on the other side of the aisle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Since that time, the majority of the unions in the industry have voted to approve the deal.“”

there's 12 unions, all of which have to vote to approve because they won't cross pickets.  8 of the unions voted approve, but the 4 that voted no represent a slight majority of  rail workers (~60,000 of ~115,000). 

of the two reported votes here it looks like a slight majority of the total voted to approve (about 26,000 of 51,000), but one union voted yes and the other no. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/21/1137640529/railroads-freight-rail-unions-vote-contract-strike

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, elfenix said:

there's 12 unions, all of which have to vote to approve because they won't cross pickets.  8 of the unions voted approve, but the 4 that voted no represent a slight majority of  rail workers (~60,000 of ~115,000). 

of the two reported votes here it looks like a slight majority of the total voted to approve (about 26,000 of 51,000), but one union voted yes and the other no. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/21/1137640529/railroads-freight-rail-unions-vote-contract-strike

Thanks tor the info. 

want a better Union? Be a better employee/union member. Don’t make the decision to ignore the political arena

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This administration negotiated with the union leaders for something like 15-20 hours straight. Them in a room with Walsh and Pete

Of course, I’m not going to engage with your 18th sock, Donkey, about how disastrous the strike would be for this country and that Biden’s admin put in the work that most of the unions accepted.

If he does nothing, you blame him. If Congress ratified the agreement, he sold them out. There’s no winning and I don’t think he cares one way or the other about scoring/winning points. 

I was seriously asking as I respect your opinion and think you have a level head when it comes to politics and the realities of politics, specifically. Lots of folks on here live in fantasy land when it comes to execution and delivery and think this stuff is so easy.

• Fuck You 7