RIP Gerg

Auto Driller

GettyImages-394040-e1641418103940.jpg

Longtime NFL defensive coordinator Greg Robinson dies at 70

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 5, 2022

Greg Robinson, a longtime coach who won two Super Bowl rings as defensive coordinator of the 1990s, has died at the age of 70.

Robinson was head coach at Syracuse for four seasons. His son Dominic told Syracuse.com that his father died of Alzheimer’s disease.

Robinson had several stints on various coaching staffs but is probably best remembered by NFL fans for his six years as defensive coordinator of the Broncos from 1995 through 2000. The Broncos won the Super Bowl after the 1997 and 1998 seasons.

Robinson was also defensive coordinator of the Jets in 1994 and of the Chiefs from 2001 to 2003. He later served as defensive coordinator at Texas, Michigan and San Jose State.

52 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Fuck Alzheimers right in the ass. My mom is going down the same path, and visiting her this holiday season at her memory care facility was the first time I sensed that she doesn't really understand who I am, so I've been dwelling on the topic a bit too much the last couple of months. I'd choose almost any other fate.  

Same. It sucks to see them so confused. At least mines 86 so not unexpected. Told the wife the other day just “old yellar” me if I ever get that way. 

I moved to San Diego the same year the Super Bowl was here -- the first one that the Broncos won. Got to see that one live. 9 years later, I got to drive up to Pasadena and watch a defense he helped build win another championship, this time us. (The previous year's Rose Bowl win, where he was more directly involved, I got to see on TV.)

Terrible way to go and too soon. RIP Greg.

• Like 1

Just listened to Craig Way and Jeff Howe give a tribute to Greg Robinson.  Even though he was only here for two one-year stints as DC, you can tell from how they talked about him -- like we're talking about him -- that he meant a lot to this program.  Two anecdotes from that:

Before the 2004 Tech game, Texas was in a tough position.  We lost to OU for the fifth straight time, and struggled against Missouri in which Vince was benched/injured and many questioned whether he would be our long-term QB.  People were predicting a loss against Tech in Lubbock.  Before the game Greg is watching Tech film with his ear right up to the big screen intensively listening.  Someone asks him, "Coach, what are you doing?"  Robinson says, "Listen.  Can you hear that?  They're not changing their signals!"  Greg was methodically listening to the audio from the tape and figured that Tech used the same signals for all of their audibles.  Texas goes on to stomp Tech 51-21 and holds the Raiders to -17 yards rushing in the process. (And that was a decent 8-4 Tech team that beat that whiny bitch Aaron Rogers and his Cal team in the Holiday Bowl.)

Jeff said that the 2013 OU game was the most impressive game call he's seen from a coordinator on either side of the ball.  Leading up to the game Greg had told Craig Way that he predicted a senior was going to have a big play early on in the game.  That play turned out to be Chris Whaley's pick 6 on a zone blitz.  OU sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 3