American Happiness Reaches Five-decade Low

Harrison Bergeron

i think we are all basically in agreement. happiness is not something to strive for. it's a way of living. and unironically, the simpler the life, probably the happier the life.

there have been countless of movies, books and art dedicated to the struggles of finding meaning and happiness in life. i keep coming back to the movie "city slickers". i was young and had no context when i first watched that movie. now in my 50s with kids about to graduate from college, i completely understand that movie.

Jack-Palance-City-Slickers.png&f=1&nofb=

except it's not just "one" thing. it's a whole bunch of things, and i'll add that most of those things cannot be bought or compared against on social media.

You are absolutely correct.
I can’t remember the exact research but basically huge amounts of data were collected to figure out why people who did not experience traumatic events, abuse, sexual slavery were more likely to commit suicide.
It turns out (according to them) that people have a biological switch that is activated if life is perceived by the body to be very difficult at a young age- maybe as young as 12mos.  They equate it to being born during peace or war. This switch is either activated or not and has in incredible effect on the entirety of the person’s psychological development for the rest of their life. In this way being raised in a loving supporting home could actually be a thread in  what is leading to our suicide problem.

Grit

2 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Well, that’s the thing. If enough people believe something it doesn’t matter if you do or not

I guess I'm old enough not to give a fuck, but I don't really know if I ever did. I've never set my sail by someone else's wind. Maybe growing up poor helped me to appreciate things more. I'm not sure. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

except it's not just "one" thing. it's a whole bunch of things, and i'll add that most of those things cannot be bought or compared against on social media.

I was just about to disagree with you about Curly’s advice until this part. Completely agree. It’s great advice, but it’s more than one thing. The average person would miss out on quite a lot with a hyper, singular focus. The general message holds true, though.

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I guess I'm old enough not to give a fuck, but I don't really know if I ever did. I've never set my sail by someone else's wind. Maybe growing up poor helped me to appreciate things more. I'm not sure. 

Your country need you. Being OK with the shit that’s going on in your life doesn’t feel like you won the super bowl but it should.

Just now, TurkeyChew said:

American Happiness is such a relative thing. Just today I read a thread about a guy who lives quasi-off-the-grid in Alaska who poops outdoors when it's below 0 degrees, but he's more-or-less happy. Happiness is relative.

I’d argue he’s bad ass because he went out is is living what makes him happy every day. 

7 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Sure thing. My point is, one man's vision and living a life that makes him happy, is another man's nightmare.

No, you’re right. Sorry, I didn’t mean it to come off like I was challenging your point.  My point was only that he literally goes out and lives a life he loves. I think the important thing I meant to imply is that if he hated living in Alaska, he’d move. Lots of Americans are caught in lives they don’t like and don’t know how to leave.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2022 at 7:25 AM, Harrison Bergeron said:

University of Chicago annual report on American happiness:

In the midst of the coronavirus outbreak, the public’s happiness is at a five-decade low despite most Americans being satisfied with their financial situation, according to a new survey from NORC at the University of Chicago.

The study highlights how Americans’ outlook and emotional health compare to nearly 50 years of trends in public opinion data from the General Social Survey (GSS), an ongoing project which NORC has conducted since 1972. The historical context reveals unique impacts of the outbreak on public sentiment: An all-time low in people saying they are very happy (14%), combined with an all-time high in people saying they are satisfied with their family’s financial situation (80%).

These contrasting findings suggest that people are comparing their happiness to their own psychological well-being before the pandemic while assessing their finances in relation to the millions of fellow Americans who have lost jobs, wages, or investments following the outbreak.

The results also illustrate how Americans are reacting differently to the coronavirus pandemic compared to previous national tragedies. For example, fewer Americans report crying or feeling dazed than after either the John F. Kennedy assassination in 1963, or the 9/11 terrorist attacks in 2001—but more report having lost their temper or feeling bored during the pandemic.

I’m extremely unhappy.  I can’t shoot buffaloes for the hell of it, can’t rustle negroes and sell their offspring, can’t do shit.  I mean what the fuck, man?  I didn’t dump all this tea for nothing!

Have we talked about how many people are medicated out of their literal minds:  opiods, benzos, SSRI's, etc.  
The entire medical community is so quick to pull the trigger on any number of prescribed meds from little children all the way through adulthood.  Another vicious circle of malaise, prescriptions, and addiction.  

Alcohol. Number 1.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Sure thing. My point is, one man's vision and living a life that makes him happy, is another man's nightmare.

i'd rather live in this "nightmare"

pic18.jpg

than this one

Joel-Osteen-house.jpg

1st is a man who's probably closer to finding inner peace. 2nd is a man who probably can't look himself in the mirror with any modicum of respect or peace. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

pic18.jpg

than this one

Joel-Osteen-house.jpg

1st is a man who's probably closer to finding inner peace. 2nd is a man who probably can't look himself in the mirror with any modicum of respect or peace. 

Who is to say? 

But to both our points, it's all relative and one man's trash is another man's treasure. 

Maybe the answer is we shouldn't try and distill "happiness" into a one sized fits all concept and vision and allow people to be happy (within the confines of the law). Super post-mod of me to say that, but I don't know.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

Who is to say? 

But to both our points, it's all relative and one man's trash is another man's treasure. 

Maybe the answer is we shouldn't try and distill "happiness" into a one sized fits all concept and vision and allow people to be happy (within the confines of the law). Super post-mod of me to say that, but I don't know.

if we did that, then we wouldn't have 5 pages of surly being surly. what fun is that?

7 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

if we did that, then we wouldn't have 5 pages of surly being surly. what fun is that?

True. Every Surly thread:

• Premise
  • Surly comment
  • Joke about South Austin's mom
  • Someone making it political
  • Someone making it sexual
  • Texas football tears
  • Someone getting pissed off
  • Movie quote
  • Gifs
  • Fin

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

I can’t remember the exact research but basically huge amounts of data were collected to figure out why people who did not experience traumatic events, abuse, sexual slavery were more likely to commit suicide.

It turns out (according to them) that people have a biological switch that is activated if life is perceived by the body to be very difficult at a young age- maybe as young as 12mos.  They equate it to being born during peace or war. This switch is either activated or not and has in incredible effect on the entirety of the person’s psychological development for the rest of their life. In this way being raised in a loving supporting home could actually be a thread in  what is leading to our suicide problem.

We should all beat the hell out of babies so they don’t off themselves later. 

4 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Full page later and no one's made a "good kids from food families" joke?

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

True. Every Surly thread:

• Premise
  • Surly comment
  • Joke about South Austin's mom
  • Someone making it political
  • Someone making it sexual
  • Texas football tears
  • Someone getting pissed off
  • Movie quote
  • Gifs
  • Fin

I’m gonna PM Derka to see if that is correct. 

• Haha 1

Agreed. Whether you believe or not, a large portion of the population having faith in something bigger after life here gives them more purpose. I guarantee it gives them more happiness.  

I think that is the religious perspective creeping through. Distilled, it seems that gratitude is more of the key to happiness. When you focus on being grateful for the time you get with your kids instead of the next hurdle to overcome. In religion, this is thanks to a God, in atheism/agnosticism, this is thanks to the moment or the people that helped you have this moment.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

pic18.jpg

than this one

Joel-Osteen-house.jpg

But couldn't the second guy sell his home, buy a membership to Bushwood and smoke pot and chase gophers with Lacey Underall all night?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, crash_davis said:

again, if depression is a clinical illness (which it is and can be) and exists across the population at the same rate, why are poor people killing themselves less than richer people?

re the soldiers, i'm going to guess they saw, live, and did traumatic shit that they can't un-see, un-live, or un-do? 

re: suicide. My 2 cents. I just think of purpose and isolation myself. And isolation is twofold - from people/family (accountability) and from nature/god/earth (spirituality). Modern American life is the most removed from both. More removed than any other culture at any other time ever.

For soldiers I believe the common shared problem is loss of the adrenaline. Regular life is too mundane and they can't hack it. 

22 minutes ago, staboner said:

re: suicide. My 2 cents. I just think of purpose and isolation myself. And isolation is twofold - from people/family (accountability) and from nature/god/earth (spirituality). Modern American life is the most removed from both. More removed than any other culture at any other time ever.

For soldiers I believe the common shared problem is loss of the adrenaline. Regular life is too mundane and they can't hack it. 

As I was told, it's because you were in a unit, and you're very valuable. People are trying to kill you, and you have a very structured hiarchy. Then all of a sudden you're on your own, no one tells you what to do, and you're still watching for IUDs on the roads. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, crash_davis said:

pic18.jpg

than this one

Joel-Osteen-house.jpg

Some version of one is probably engrained in every guy. Limited commitments, making it in your own, no one looking over your shoulder or that you report to, a spouse that is all in on the same lifestyle, etc. That particular version looks absolutely miserable to me though. Mine would involve a boat and a warm climate. Every new commitment pulls me further from living that reality, but hell it was probably dead and gone when I married someone at 20 that didn’t like the water. Now I do everything I can to chase some version of it that works for both of us.

Saying that, spending a few weeks in the 2nd pic with the half my age, perfect 10, second wife doesn’t sound like a bad gig either.

18 hours ago, Cement said:

I try to avoid touching IUDs left on the road as well.  That's just nasty.

Intrauterine Device (IUD) | University Health Service

Removing those is my son's military specialty, but they have robots to help...