I want to tell you all the story about The Freshman

hpslugga

15 hours ago, naija said:

You are giving Stafford 2 bonus points because of his longevity and position. Sure, voters might do the same, but they are as likely to see past those things and recalibrate.

Stafford has 1 Pro Bowl. Eli has 4. Stafford has 1 SB (left his original team to do it), Eli has 2 Super Bowls and was the MVP in both of those, as the underdog in both and in one of those, beat an undefeated team. Stafford filled up the stat sheet quicker, but I don't think in the metrics that count most for HOF honors, that he is on the same level as Eli.

That is because people equate wins with the QB position. Stafford has always been over looked, because he played on a shit team. The is 4th ALL-Time in passing yards/game (Mahommes, Brees, Luck, Stafford, Peyton). I take him over Eli, Ben, Favre and even Elway (Elway has to be the most over-rated QB of all-time). 

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Eh was megatron really good or was he a product of a pass happy era and a team that threw the ball a lot because they were always losing?

No doubt they had to pass from always being down but he was a man among boys. Stafford would just throw the ball in his general direction and megatron would just go get it. 

Just wanted whoever negged the OP, that you suck at life.  We can find news articles and different things about Stafford all through the media and online or whatever. Then somebody within this community offers a bit of insight or how that person touched their life, regardless of how trivial it might be; and somehow it’s not favorable to you. Whatever…

However anecdotal it might be, those little glimpses into real life interaction are cool, IMHO.  

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Um, no. He was mediocre for this era. Threw too many picks. Never had more than 33 TDs. Never had a rating above 96.8. Had only two seasons over 90. Career rating of 80.9. Those are very average numbers. Slightly worse than Aikman’s. Markedly worse than Kelly’s. None are deserving of being first ballot guys. 

so you think those would be his numbers in an era where there is no grounding outside the pocket, rub routes are routinely not called, receivers are protected over the middle, and QBs don’t have to worry about getting hit once the ball leaves their hand, can’t be driven into the ground, and can only be hit below the shoulders and above the knees? Moon  would have played til he was 50 under modern rules

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

Just wanted whoever negged the OP, that you suck at life.  We can find news articles and different things about Stafford all through the media and online or whatever. Then somebody within this community offers a bit of insight or how that person touched their life, regardless of how trivial it might be; and somehow it’s not favorable to you. Whatever…

However anecdotal it might be, those little glimpses into real life interaction are cool, IMHO.  

Hey can’t say that I blame him. When you say that someone is “very likely bound for Canton,” that’s serious business.

There is probably a way to adjust pass rating compared to league average of the time to compare QBs by era.

Roger Staubach was extremely efficient compared to his peers.  But if you looked at his career 83 pass rating he would look below average.

Has Stafford ever been considered a top QB compared to his peers?  I do not think he has.

• Hook 'Em 3

If you're in the HOF you're one of the best to ever play the game. As Peter King (who's been a voter for decades) points out, your bust and media display in Canton doesn't include how many years ot took you to be enshrined.

With regards to Stafford, the SB win probably got him into the Hall. But he's a very good player to me, not one of the greats. Has any team ever feared Stafford? Did you get a sinking feeling in your gut if your team went ahead with 2 minutes left & knowing you had to stop Stafford from scoring to win?

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

If you're in the HOF you're one of the best to ever play the game. As Peter King (who's been a voter for decades) points out, your bust and media display in Canton doesn't include how many years ot took you to be enshrined.

With regards to Stafford, the SB win probably got him into the Hall. But he's a very good player to me, not one of the greats. Has any team ever feared Stafford? Did you get a sinking feeling in your gut if your team went ahead with 2 minutes left & knowing you had to stop Stafford from scoring to win?

Stafford is 5th all-time in 4Q comebacks in his Career and just put up a pretty good statement in these playoffs that should make you rethink that question

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

Manning is #1 with 43 in 266 games

Brady #2 42 in 318 games

Big Ben #3 41 in 249 games

Brees #4 36 in 287 games

Stafford #5 with 34 in 182 games

Jonny Unites #6 with 34 in 211 games.. 

Opportunity rate isnt given, but based on the games played to comebacks, Stafford is pretty damn good late in games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I mean I’m not gonna grant that premise, but let’s say that I did:

Did you get a sinking feeling in your gut if your team went ahead with 2 minutes left and knowing you had to stop:

Sonny Jurgensen
Len Dawson
Bob Griese
Joe Namath
Ken Stabler

from scoring to win?

26 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

There is probably a way to adjust pass rating compared to league average of the time to compare QBs by era.

Roger Staubach was extremely efficient compared to his peers.  But if you looked at his career 83 pass rating he would look below average.

Has Stafford ever been considered a top QB compared to his peers?  I do not think he has.

Top 10 since he entered the league and in a year he wasn’t it was an aberration. He likely would’ve been Top 5 had he played in another market or very close to it. 

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've never understood how some see a Super Bowl ring as the tipping point between a HOF career and one that isn't.  Dilfer is a great example.  I honestly didn't think Eli merited HOF consideration after his first SB victory, but #2 changed it for me.

It's a different sport, and probably a poor analogy, but the most known example of a great player making the HOF out of a shit franchise is Ernie Banks.  He was a better player in his sport than Stafford, though.  Still, first ballot.  Nobody held the Cubs against him.

I don't really see any reason for Stafford to be left out of the Hall at this point.

Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus both got in off terrible Bears teams 

1 hour ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

the-freshman-komodo-dragon-2

Thought we were taking about a different Freshman

Yeah, I was hoping this was going to be an oral history of the Marlon Brando/Matthew Broderick movie. 

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus both got in off terrible Bears teams 

Yeah, I was hoping this was going to be an oral history of the Marlon Brando/Matthew Broderick movie. 

Clark: It's a crime! 

Sabatini: Now you're speaking in generalities. 

Clark: It's a scam. 

Sabatini: Such an ugly word, this "scam."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Dallas. 2013 or so. 😪

Edited by lilMAC25

Stafford is 5th all-time in 4Q comebacks in his Career and just put up a pretty good statement in these playoffs that should make you rethink that question

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

Manning is #1 with 43 in 266 games
Brady #2 42 in 318 games
Big Ben #3 41 in 249 games
Brees #4 36 in 287 games
Stafford #5 with 34 in 182 games
Jonny Unites #6 with 34 in 211 games.. 
Opportunity rate isnt given, but based on the games played to comebacks, Stafford is pretty damn good late in games. 

That's Stafford to a 'T'. Padded stats in so-so games. I'm a Vikings' fan and they went 14-9 against him while rolling out QBs like Tarvaris Jackson, Christian Ponder, Sam Bradford and Case Keenum.
He gets all the credit he deserves for coming through on the biggest state last night, but if you look at that list of the other 6 QBs Stafford is going to finish 6 out of 6 ever time in every poll. He's durable, has a strong arm and throws a pretty ball. Hall of Very Good. Would you build a franchise around him?

14 minutes ago, naija said:

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

What a fucking idiot. I thought Richard Sherman went away and my life was more enjoyable as a result. Does the world not know how fucked Stafford got on Pro Bowls whilst withering away in Detroit?  Stafford should be in the Hall before that idiot 

16 minutes ago, naija said:

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

That’s just typical Richard Sherman insanity. Every single one of those things are popularity contests. No mention of his stats, no mention of Super Bowls, and he caps it off by unfavorably comparing him to a dude that Stafford has on both counts.

Edited by hpslugga

6 hours ago, hpslugga said:

I mean I’m not gonna grant that premise, but let’s say that I did:

Did you get a sinking feeling in your gut if your team went ahead with 2 minutes left and knowing you had to stop:

Sonny Jurgensen
Len Dawson
Bob Griese
Joe Namath
Ken Stabler

from scoring to win?

Or Montana or Steve Young.  

23 hours ago, hpslugga said:

If Ben Roethlisberger played for the Lions and Stafford for Pittsburgh:

If Vince played for someone else...

I try to steer clear of hypotheticals. I can only measure what we have. But, that's a damned compelling question. We have asked the same of Dirk and Big Whistle. Time and chance happens to all of us. It's an interesting question. If he doesn't get in the HOF, he still got a ring. He'll have no reason to be ashamed. 

As a denizen of DFW I harbor a strong bias against most all things HP. I just can't with Stafford, especially after this story.

Go get some more.

On 2/13/2022 at 9:44 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

50,000 passing yards, 300 touchdown passes, and now Super Bowl champ?  Which qbs have those 3 and aren’t in the hall?

I love how Stafford’s got all these weirdo detractors on this site that have avoided answering the second question like a vampire avoids garlic.

18 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

I love how Stafford’s got all these weirdo detractors on this site that have avoided answering the second question like a vampire avoids garlic.

And I don’t know what he’s thinking in terms of a career but 2 more seasons like this past one and it’s 60k and 400.  

On that magnificent 15 play drive to close out the game, Stafford was 7 of 12 for 58 yards and 1 yard rushing.  He just took over the game...

Tell me about the game changing plays he made again...  He's Goff with a bigger arm.

11 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

That's Stafford to a 'T'. Padded stats in so-so games. I'm a Vikings' fan and they went 14-9 against him while rolling out QBs like Tarvaris Jackson, Christian Ponder, Sam Bradford and Case Keenum.
He gets all the credit he deserves for coming through on the biggest state last night, but if you look at that list of the other 6 QBs Stafford is going to finish 6 out of 6 ever time in every poll. He's durable, has a strong arm and throws a pretty ball. Hall of Very Good. Would you build a franchise around him?

Rams just did. Some of these comments are just funny.

Surly: "Stafford isnt scary in late games"

Facts: "Umm, he is top 5 all-time in 4Q comebacks and just had 3 comebacks in these playoffs"

Surly: "well, overrated. You wouldnt build a a team around him"

Facts: "Rams just laid down a massive bet on Stafford"

Most people looked at Stafford and said "I wonder what he could do with some talent around him". Everyone knew he was one of the most talented QBs in the NFL. Now that question has been answered. One reason I wanted Stafford to win, is I hoped it would get the people to start realizing that winning isnt just the QB. Put a good QB in a shit situation and things arent going to magically work out. You dont have to put him in the HOF, but some of these comments are just funny. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Put a good QB in a shit situation and things arent going to magically work out. 

And the inverse is true too. Anyone remember those Rams teams of the early 1990’s? That team that had Flipper Anderson and Henry Ellard? Yeah, they didn’t win shit, largely because they had a shit QB that was put in a good situation. 

All that tells you is that it’s a team game and not everything boils down to one person. It’s the same with Stafford. He spent 12 years with a franchise that would have been improved if it was being run by Chris Rock’s rendition of Caretaker, he gets paroled and a year later is holding a Lombardi. But sure, lets talk about Detroit because…things.

13 hours ago, hpslugga said:

That’s just typical Richard Sherman insanity. Every single one of those things are popularity contests. No mention of his stats, no mention of Super Bowls, and he caps it off by unfavorably comparing him to a dude that Stafford has on both counts.

All pro isn't a popularity contest really. 

20 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Joe Namath and Sonny Jurgensen were under .500 for their careers.

I think Namath is there primarily for one game (and his prolific hound achievements).  Even then, looking thru my burnt orange tints, he was carried by Jim Hudson, George Sauer, and Pete Lammons.

Sonny could twirl.  Too bad the Skins _efense couldn’t help him, Charley Taylor, Bobby Mitchell, Jerry Smith, and Larry Brown.

Quarterbacks with more pro bowls from 2009 to present than Matt Stafford (who entered league in 2009 and has one pro bowl):

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Russell Wilson'

Ben Roethlisberger

Patrick Mahomes

Kyler Murray

Dak Prescott

Kirk Cousins

Lamar Jackson

Deshaun Watson

Josh Allen

Jared Goff

Phillip Rivers

Andrew Luck

Derek Carr

Alex Smith

Matt Ryan

Andy Dalton

Cam Newton

Eli Manning

Tony Romo

Matt Schaub

• Hook 'Em 1

Pro bowl is like getting invited to the prom…

“mr. quarterback number seven, you were our first choice after the other six guys declined.”

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Quarterbacks with more pro bowls from 2009 to present than Matt Stafford (who entered league in 2009 and has one pro bowl):

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Russell Wilson'

Ben Roethlisberger

Patrick Mahomes

Kyler Murray

Dak Prescott

Kirk Cousins

Lamar Jackson

Deshaun Watson

Josh Allen

Jared Goff

Phillip Rivers

Andrew Luck

Derek Carr

Alex Smith

Matt Ryan

Andy Dalton

Cam Newton

Eli Manning

Tony Romo

Matt Schaub

Just look at the names. IF you are trying to say Stafford is over-rated based on a single stat compared Schuab, Newton, Smith, and Dalton having more Pro Bowls, perhaps your stat is worthless

• Hook 'Em 2